I think we should have a manga review forum.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

I think we should have a manga review forum.

Postby That Dude » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:51 pm

I was thinking that it'd be cool if CAA opened up a new forum for manga reviews. We could pick a manga to review and start with the first volume of a manga and add a new "review" post for every new volume that comes out. If we have enough space here I really think that all you mods should take this into consideration. Well thanks j-00 @|_|_.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:03 pm

Yeah, I've been nagging about this very point for-- forever. I figure that it'll happen when it happens.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:54 pm

I've thought about it too and would really like to participate in reviewing once it happens *hint hint* ;)
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:28 pm

I would really benefit from this as well, and would prolly contribute to alot of reviews.^_^
Ichigo_89

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:15 pm

It's one of those ideas in the queue for when we get a round tuit.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:45 pm

shooraijin wrote:It's one of those ideas in the queue for when we get a round tuit.

*looks through her bag of tuits* A square tuit. A purple tuit. An oval tuit-- AAH!! No round tuit! Oh well, I guess there's no easy fix here. We'll just have to settle for boring patience.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:51 pm

How will you ever find the time to just sit down and do it?
Well, never fret, for one day you'll get that fabled a-round tuit.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kisa » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:36 am

LOL, yea this would be a GREAT idea and you have many here who would contribute! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:48 am

I've been wondering when one would pop up somewhere...
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:51 pm

Glad to hear that you mods are considering it. You're the bestest mods ever ^_^ \/ Well I was gonna write more but me mind went blank. Ah well.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby AngelSakura » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:31 pm

If this happens, I claim dibs on Trigun!!

EDIT: In my haste to get dibs, I forgot to mention I was thinking about suggesting this for some time.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:59 pm

No dibs calling! First woman to her manga wins!-- I mean, woman OR man. Yeah, that's totally what I meant. ;)

Mangafanatic

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:23 pm

maybe we can have alternate views on both manga and anime...

and I want Pet Shop of Horrors!!! I have been faithful to that manga since book one!!!!
Maledicte

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:48 pm

I think it's a good idea.

Although, the board could become a bit cluttered depending on how many people contribute as a lot of manga series are pretty long.

At any rate, I would be willing to write some manga reviews.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mave » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:59 pm

The only manga reviews site run by Christians I know of that's already up and running is by fellow member, Kireihana's Manga Necessity website. I'm currently contributing manga reviews here along with other CAA members such as RoyalWing and UC (ehh...I might have missed out some other members but hey, you know who you are.) ^_^

[shameless plug] http://silver-essence.net/manga/updates.php [/shameless plug]

You are all most welcomed to contribute (please do!) since she already has some system running and you can just plug in your reviews through an online form. I'm planning to promote this website more once we get a decent number of manga reviews in the database. Please abide to the guidelines Kireihana has outlined, and do keep in mind that we're using Christian standards during manga evaluation.

An additional note, I know that Ashley is also working on InkTone and she plans to have manga reviews there too. It doesn't matter where you submit the reviews, they're all for the benefit of the Christian community.

This is the best we have for now, so pls support us. Thank you!

Dozo. ^_^

NOTE: This website is not part of CAA. It is only run mostly by CAA members. Just wanted to clarify that.
Mave

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:52 pm

Thanks Mave, I never knew about this. I have a personal manga review person that I go to and she has never steered me wrong. But, I might check out that site.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby That Dude » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks for the info Mave, I'll be sure to check it out sometime. If we do get a manga review forum I was thinking you have a thread devoted to review a manga. One manga for thread and just post additional reviews and nothing else on that thread, that way it doesn't get all cluttered.
That Dude

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:17 am

On this board, all our reviews are approved by the moderators, so I imagine that the post count on any such thread would be rampant that I can't imagine the moderators being able to keep up with it.

For easy of navigation, I'd vote for a database like the anime review section.

Mangafanatic

Postby Mave » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:06 am

Yeah from what I understand, manga reviews go to the mods via PM and once they approve it (assuming they do depending on what you've written), they'll add it to the database.

Meanwhile, I'll just continue working on what's already available since it's better than having nothing.
Mave

Postby Mave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:07 pm

Ok, remember that this manga review database is not under CAA's responsibility. However, I know that most of the reviews have been made by CAA members.

1) We welcome any suggestions or feedback about how we're running things so far with this effort. Please let us know how we can improve what we already have.
2) We also welcome any reviews from CAA members...however, you should know that we review the manga more critically from a Christian point of view. If you think you can provide Christian manga readers an adequate overview of manga titles (language, sex/nudity, violence, magic/religion), by all means, pls give it a try! We need all the help we can get. I believe Kireihana has some guidelines about submitting reviews so don't forget to read that as well.
3) If you have any manga review requests, pls let us know as well (look through the current list of manga that has already been reviewed). I'm not sure what the others are doing, I most probably have Rurouni Kenshin or Saiyuki in my list.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Manga Necessity: Christian Manga Review Website
http://manga.silver-essence.net/updates.php

List of past and current contributing reviewers (by alphabetical order)
Hitokiri
Kireihana/Caresse
Mangafanatic
Mave
RoyalWing
UC pseudonym

List of Manga reviewed
i) Shonen
Neon Genesis Evangelion - LATEST by Hitokiri
Bus Gamer
.hack/LotT
Naruto
Whistle!
Zombie Powder

ii) Shoujo
Hana Kimi - LATEST by Mave
Alien Nine
Azumanga DaioH
Clover
Fruit Basket
Hot Gimmick
Parfait Tic!
Penguin Brothers
Pretear

PS: I will consider what That Dude suggested quite a while back. It will depend on the mod/admins' decision.
Mave

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews