Wouldn't you like Manga if it was in COLOR

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Wouldn't you like Manga if it was in COLOR

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:11 pm

Please get as many people to vote...
Fsiphskilm

Postby inkhana » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:12 pm

If it's well drawn, I don't care what it's in.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Ashley » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:22 pm

Ink> my manga IS color! :lol:
Ashley

Postby inkhana » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:49 pm

LOL, don't you start that...:P ;) jk

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:02 am

The manga Spirited Away is in color. I don't want manga to be in color really. That just means it will cost more, and take to much time for the manga to be finished. By the way, the Japanese love white space. Just a comment.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:08 am

I think color would improve it, and I might enjoy it a bit more... but the artists drew it originally in black and white, so something just might be lost. And some manga coloring I have seen detracts from the quality. When colored properly, and with the artist's intent in mind, though, I'm all for it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Angelchick » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:45 pm

it doesn't really matter to me. seeing some manga in color would be nice.
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby Razgriz » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:41 pm

I prefer b&w personally.
Razgriz

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:48 pm

I like it in black and whilte. I like black and white artwork - the use of grayscale, tones, shading, dramatic black/white contrast to convey stuff. I like it as an art style - not just for manga, but for other things, just plain ol' artwork.

I happen to like pencil drawing, and I happen to like the look of pencil drawings. I also love the medium of print, in general - the look of print, it's smell... I work part time at a newspaper as a graphic designer... It is very, VERY costly to print things in full color. Usually, at the newspaper, for an advertisment to be in color - the client only wants one color - a spot color - to avoid the cost of printing full CMYK color. I just think that black and white, and black, white, and one spot color is a neat artistic way to work. I not only like to work that way - such as in my own web-manga (I sometimes put little touches of color into the main black and white, usually just red, for dramatic effect, but most of the thing is just black and white), I like to see art like that.

If an artist can make something look good in simple black and white - and not rely upon color - it's a good thing. Art that looks good in grayscale is just... good. Also, manga is traditionally black and white, and I like artistic traditions. So... yeah, for me... I like black and white - I just... do.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby Straylight » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:44 pm

I also prefer black and white, it seems to make the manga feel more... manga-ey. Colour works well in those artbooks though :)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:18 am

You'll notice the artists do occasionally do things in color, just so you know what color people's hair and clothing is meant to be. This does help, as my sister managed to get the hair color of every single person in Shaman King wrong, and she wouldn't believe me until there was a colored title page.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:20 am

Yeah, I got everyone's hair and eyes wrong in Angelic Layer too. But I like black and white for that reason...you can imagine what colors you want. Kinda like a cross between radio and tv--images without color.
Ashley

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:10 pm

I think some manga is so unorganized
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Shadow Bee » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:43 pm

i think both are okay... i tend to shy over to black and white but only because i can't really think of manga being any other way...

I'm back! Yay for me!

Image Best Wishes, Shadow Bee
Shadow Bee

Postby BrianC » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:57 pm

I prefer the manga/comics/manhwa/etc. stay in it's original color. Adding color can sometimes detract and so can making something b/w that was originally in color. BTW, some US comics like the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were in b/w.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:24 pm

A lot of manga have cover art that's in color.

Some manga have a couple of color pages in them, but a lot of times that gets lost when they print them for the US. It was that way with the Evangelion manga. -_-

I like black and white but color is good too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:24 am

Color is great for cover art and art books, but for manga I think the Japanese have it down. Mangas just aren't mangas if they're in color. They have to use the black and white and all those contrasts in between. It's artistically more beautiful; although, art is subjective. I think comics in color look all dark and disfigured. I prefer online comics in black and white, like Megatokyo. It gives it a crisper feel and it's more readable. Most of the publishers also, only accept b&w copy, like Tokyopop. So to color a manga would be a waste of time if you want to be published.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby otaku » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:44 am

color might be cool sometimes like for love hina (there is a japanese color version) and others, like lain has a color manga. But for the most part I'm fine with black and white
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
otaku

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:19 pm

I'd like a little of both. I know that sometimes being in B&W actually enhances the artistic quality of a comic, movie, or TV series. Look at American titles like Sin City and Bone. And Citizen Kane in color just doesn't have the impact it's supposed to have. I also like Twilight Zone in B&W because it looks spookier that way. :rock: In manga, lots of titles look good in B&W too, but I thought I'd bring in some American examples to broaden this discussion a little.
rocklobster

Postby Kisa » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:58 pm

I like the BW but I think it would be neat to see one in color! I haven't had any yet......
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby CobaltAngel » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:04 pm

Something about the simplicity of manga appeals to me. I have read a couple of manga in color and it just seems like too much for some reason, lol.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby mai » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:07 am

I think having some colored manga would be great the only thing is if there was a violent part or somthing having it in color would make it look worse.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:30 am

Coloring would just make the manga more expensive. And the fact that most manga is serialized in anthologies in Japan, many of them weekly, would make it impractical/impossible.

So, I'm generally fine with b&w. However, there are some action scenes and such that I feel would be clearer in color.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby oro! » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:42 pm

I have one color manga...and I think it's a masterpiece. Neotopia. But I also enjoy black and white. I just wish those color pages in Rurouni Kenshin were COLOR! It would be nice just once in a while...so anyway both is cool for me.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:06 pm

Color would be nice if it was done well. And most of the time, I don't think it would be. Judging by the tankubon covers at Waldenbooks a lot of otherwise decent manga artists are completely inept when it comes to color.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:26 pm

Don't take me wrong as somee crazed manga purist guy but I voted NO!

I don't really want my manga colored...thats one thing I like about mangas that it's black and white. So having it colored would throw me off and kinda make it less...special I guess.
Hitokiri

Postby Kura Ookami » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:41 am

It's probably better in bW really though some things would be better in colour to make them a bit clearer.

The same sort of question can be asked about anime. Would you rather anime be in colour or black and white?
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:02 am

I think it ought to be as it was published. Color plates or B/W as it was. I remember thinking Marvel's coloring of Akira looked bad. It also looks pretty bad when they take color plates and turn them into black and white.

I'd be opposed to some western distributor adding color.
Arnobius

Postby Heart of Sword » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:11 am

Only thing is...in Rurouni Kenshin, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between dirt and blood.

But it makes it a lot less graphic. Especially with Wolf's Rain, which is very (near to extremely) bloody. But it's hard to tell if something's blood sometimes. (But Wolf's Rain is alright because the wolves have thick fur so normally you can't see the wounds)
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Lunis » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:02 am

I think I'm too fond of the black and white to let it go. Color manga does sound cool, though. I would only like it if it was colored well. I picked the "both" answer, because I would like to be able to choose whichever looks better. The coloring would probably look different for every series, so whichever version looked better would be the one I choose (Am I starting to sound like Mojo Jojo? o.O). I would usually choose black and white, I think.
It is the infirmity of little minds to be dazzled with everything that sparkles.
Lunis

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews