Know about the Recorder?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Know about the Recorder?

Postby plutogrl03 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:19 pm

Well does anyone play the recorder? FYI, the recorder is a woodwind instrument belonging to the flute family. It was a popular instrument for many centuries. I happened to find a plastic school-grade recorder in my room that my music teacher gave me in middle school and decided I would teach myself how to play. I got a book that was published in '57 and I'm using my piano for beginners book and a few simple melodies from other sources to teach myself (I can play that song from the Ah! My Goddess movie with the sheet music in front of me). Anyone out there have any tips or comments? Anything would be appreciated.
plutogrl03

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:02 pm

I used to play the recorder for school. I taught myself as well, cause I only had one year of actual lessons. Got to play Silent Night and a whole lot of other christmas songs before I finally lost interest. I occassionally play it for laughs, but it tends to annoy my family, so it has to be played quietly, in my room with the door shut ;)
Hephzibah

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:28 am

Oh yeah.. I played it in Elementary school... I think everyone had to.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:11 am

Which song, plutogrl?

I have a Casio digital saxophone which uses recorder fingering. Unfortunately, the main speaker has blown out, so I can only use it as a MIDI controller now. -_-
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby plutogrl03 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:57 am

shooraijin wrote:Which song, plutogrl?

The song is called Coro di Dea. Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld sing it together near the end of the movie and Belldandy sings a shorter version of the song at the beginning but it is called Dea Cantat. I just play the melody that they sing.

I found song books for the recorder on Amazon I plan on buying but for now I've just been getting fakebooks for piano from the library. I want to be able to play songs people will recognize as well as the classical stuff written for the recorder.
plutogrl03

Return to Jam Session