Favourite Switchfoot CD

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Favourite Switchfoot CD

Postby FadedOne » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:19 pm

Lol, Ok so I see several Switchfoot fans on here and being one personally, thought I'd start a poll. Which of the 4 CDs is your favourite??

oooh..and sidenote, who's looking forward eagerly to new stuff? *grin*

God bless,

Lara
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:53 pm

Man - tough one. I have all of Switchfoot's cds except for New Way To Be Human, which I've heard is their best - so many cds...

I voted for Beautiful Letdown though it was really hard not voting for Learning to Breathe.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:50 pm

beautiful letdown for me, the original release, not this year or two later thing

i also loved learning to breath

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby FadedOne » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:02 pm

lol...Im the only New Way to Be Human fan???

s'ok though, personal preference. ^_^
~~~~~~
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:06 pm

Ooooh... I love all there CDs! This is hard, but I think Legend of Chin is my favorite. Beautiful Letdown comes in close second. ^^
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby FadedOne » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:54 pm

CobaltAngel wrote:Ooooh... I love all there CDs! This is hard, but I think Legend of Chin is my favorite. Beautiful Letdown comes in close second. ^^

Off topic: Dude, FadedOne, I'm from OH too! *highfives*

hey! lol...poor you, also being from Ohio. May I ask what area? (you can be quite vague lol) I'm from the northeastern region myself.

And yes...Chin is awesomeness. It's so hard for me to choose between that and New Way.
~~~~~~

~~~~
FadedOne

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:39 pm

New Way to Be Human was the first Switchfoot song I even heard.

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:23 am

I like New wAy. I got it for my birthday. The only thing that really sucks about it is that it is only 10 tracks long
Maledicte

Postby Kkun » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:27 pm

Legend of Chin is my favorite, but Learning To Breathe is also amazing. New Way To Be Human has Only Hope and that's one of my FAVORITE Switchfoot songs ever. It's just beautiful. I'd have to go with Legend of Chin, though. I have yet to buy The Beautiful Letdown...

And why has Learning To Breathe not gotten any votes? IMO, it's far superior to New Way To Be Human. NWTBH had Only Hope and that's really the only song that made me go "WOW". Learning To Breathe had the original "I Dare You To Move", "You Already Take Me There", "The Loser", etc... oh well, just thought I'd say that. >_>;
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:18 pm

How about "The Early Years Collection?"

In all honesty, I simply couldn't choose.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby CobaltAngel » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:28 pm

The Early Years Collection is just a pack of their first three CDs.

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:55 pm

New Way to be Human....it has Sooner or Later....one of my top 5 Favorite songs.
Hitokiri

Postby FadedOne » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:13 pm

^ yay! Lol, see that's the song that pushes New Way to the top of my list. But honestly, the first 3 are SO close. I feel bad for not liking TBL near as much, but yeah lol...it's not as special or personal to me as the other 3.

Legend of Chin is all around awesome, and quite a nice mix of upbeat rock(Chem6a) and thoughtful ballad(Life, Love, and Why/Home)

Learning to Breathe --- this CD jsut makes me grin. The beginning of the title song is totally addicting. It's put together well and some of the songs really make you think if you pay attention.
(aight...am I totally WEIRD or does the lyric'Where was I when the world was made??' fascinate anyone else? LoL)

New Way to Be Human--- hmm, so why did I choose this one? well...stuff like Sooner or Later and Let taht Be Enough. Then there's those songs that are just FUN....Company Car! lol, I can't help it. *addicted*

Mmm....and Beautiful Letdown is my perplexion. I can't get into it! The first 3 CD's seem to be more personal and better put together, imho. Yet I can hardly deny the total quality of lyrics like Dare you to Move(lol...no matter how many times I hear taht one, it's awesome). Then again, I have some bad memories attached to the CD, so yeah.

wow...man, I sound obsessed. o.o *isnt!* Just a fan. LoL @ me. :sweat:

Woah, I'm from the northeast too! I kinda like Ohio, if you ignore the fact that notihng ever happens here and the winters never end. Did you go to the Switchfoot concert in Clevland this October?

I sure wish I could've gone. Cleveland is like...hell according to my Mom LOL. Not putting down the area, but it's like pulling teeth trying to get my family to go to the big cities and I really don't want to go alone lol. So yeah.

And AMEN to the evil winters and boringness. But I guess it's Ohio's ok. I'd just rather be somewhere else :P
~~~~~~

~~~~
FadedOne

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:59 pm

CobaltAngel wrote:The Early Years Collection is just a pack of their first three CDs.

I know. That was my best attempt at dodge the question.--Guess it didn't work very well though. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby nightblade » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:12 pm

I kinda agree with FadedOne, but I think Switchfoot kinda sold-out on Beautiful Letdown. While they are very good, they fail short of better artists like Relient K, O.C. Supertones, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, and Something Like Silas. They don't seem to have a real message anymore and their music seems more secular than based around what it should be. While I agree some songs like On Fire are really good, they need to get back to basics to get my attention.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only
because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." -C.S. Lewis
nightblade

Postby Kkun » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:28 pm

nightblade wrote:I kinda agree with FadedOne, but I think Switchfoot kinda sold-out on Beautiful Letdown. While they are very good, they fail short of better artists like Relient K, O.C. Supertones, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, and Something Like Silas. They don't seem to have a real message anymore and their music seems more secular than based around what it should be. While I agree some songs like On Fire are really good, they need to get back to basics to get my attention.

I really don't know if I agree with you at all. The Beautiful Letdown has got more positive messages than you can shake a stick at. TBL tackles greed, materialism, entertainment, breaking out of our comfort zones, embracing the future, etc. And what defines "selling out"? Relient K is on Capitol records now. Their new CD does not mention Jesus at all (except for references to God on two songs). Have they sold out? I don't think so. Has Switchfoot sold out? I really don't think so. :sweat:
Kkun

Postby CobaltAngel » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:11 am

FadedOne wrote: Company Car! lol, I can't help it. *addicted*
OMG! I love that song! I could listen to it over and over again! Only Hope too! New Way is amazing. Now that I think about it I should have picked that one.

Osaka wrote:That was my best attempt at dodge the question.--Guess it didn't work very well though
LOL, yeah well if it counts... *ahem* Yeeeesss... that's my favorite, lol. :D

nightblade wrote:I think Switchfoot kinda sold-out on Beautiful Letdown
Ah, I've heard so many people say that. You have to keep in mind that the guys in Switchfoot are older now, and they're writing deeper stuff. It takes some thinking to understand, but that doesn't make them any less christian or sell-outs. I think they just tried to appeal to older listeners. (Even my parents like TBL)

aku_soku_zan wrote: Relient K is on Capitol records now. Their new CD does not mention Jesus at all (except for references to God on two songs). Have they sold out? I don't think so. Has Switchfoot sold out? I really don't think so. :sweat:
Right, and its not up to us to judge whether or not people are selling-out. What they do is between them and God, we can't make assumetions that they got greedy or something.

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Kkun » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:18 am

CobaltAngel wrote: Ah, I've heard so many people say that. You have to keep in mind that the guys in Switchfoot are older now, and they're writing deeper stuff. It takes some thinking to understand, but that doesn't make them any less christian or sell-outs. I think they just tried to appeal to older listeners. (Even my parents like TBL)

Switchfoot is a very intellectual band and I appreciate that. The thing that I really love about TBL is that Jerome Fontamilias joined the band for that album. Who is Jerome Fontamilias? Jerome is 1/2 of the legendary Christian industrial bands Mortal and Fold Zandura and you can hear his influences all over TBL, the synth of "This Is Your Life" being one of them. I love TBL a lot. I need to actually go buy it...

But anyway, Switchfoot's music does have an older appeal now and that's not a bad thing. Their core fans for the most part, the people who were listening to their music back in 1997 when Legend of Chin came out, are older as well. I know I've been listening to Switchfoot since about 1998 and I really love the direction they've gone in with their albums and their sound.

Oh, and Coby, you get +1,000 cool points for the old school P.O.D. reference in your user title. ^^
Kkun

Postby LostChild » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:04 pm

Well, that's hard for me to say... i'm sure that i'd like all of them, but unfortunately i only have "The Beautiful Letdown" (i wish i could find all of them, but everywhere i go, its only "The Beautiful Letdown" :sniffle: )so that's the one i voted for. :sweat:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby FadedOne » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:24 pm

nightblade wrote:I kinda agree with FadedOne, but I think Switchfoot kinda sold-out on Beautiful Letdown. While they are very good, they fail short of better artists like Relient K, O.C. Supertones, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, and Something Like Silas. They don't seem to have a real message anymore and their music seems more secular than based around what it should be. While I agree some songs like On Fire are really good, they need to get back to basics to get my attention.

Hmm....I see your point and agree with a small part, but I disagree on the sold-out part. Agreed...TBL is different(and like I said...less special to me b/c it doesn't have the same feel as the first 3) but I wouldn't say that means it's less spiritual. lol, I could ramble on but I'll just quote a Jon Foreman quote I found recently and loved.
[I]
"To be honest, this question grieves me because I feel that it represents a much bigger issue than simply a couple SF tunes. In true Socratic form, let me ask you a few questions: Does Lewis or Tolkien mention Christ in any of their fictional series? Are Bach's sonata's Christian? What is more Christ-like, feeding the poor, making furniture, cleaning bathrooms, or painting a sunset? There is a schism between the sacred and the secular in all of our modern minds. The view that a pastor is more “Christianâ€
~~~~~~

~~~~
FadedOne

Postby FadedOne » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:27 pm

LostChild wrote:Well, that's hard for me to say... i'm sure that i'd like all of them, but unfortunately i only have "The Beautiful Letdown" (i wish i could find all of them, but everywhere i go, its only "The Beautiful Letdown" :sniffle: )so that's the one i voted for. :sweat:

hey..if you can order online, get the Early Years set from Walmart. It's like...$14.99 last time I checked. I'm buying a copy for a friend. ^_^
~~~~~~

~~~~
FadedOne

Postby LostChild » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:23 pm

FadedOne wrote:hey..if you can order online, get the Early Years set from Walmart. It's like...$14.99 last time I checked. I'm buying a copy for a friend. ^_^

*grins* okay, i'll go check it out!

i went to Best Buy today, and they didn't have anything Swithfoot! :mutter: how lame is that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:23 am

....O_O!! *beats best buy with a leek* I think they have it really cheap at tvulive.com/radiou. And I bet you could find it at walmart, because that's where I got 3 of my switchfoot CDs.

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby FadedOne » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:22 pm

lol...so far, Best Buy is out of stock as is Walmart( they only have TBL! *beats Walmart with uh...asparagus?* :P)

anyway...I am DETERMINED to find me a cheap copy. And they're going for $25 on ebay. evil!
~~~~~~

~~~~
FadedOne

Postby Scribs » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:15 pm

I accidently voted for learning to breathe insted of new way to be human. I am so upset.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby CobaltAngel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:38 pm

I 'd recommend sound and spirit, but that website has been like this to me lately:

Me: *looks up new Relient K cd*
SAS: Sorry, we don't have this CD because we suck. Please try again in 6 months after this CD is old and you don't care anymore.
Me: Okay... *tries Hawk Nelson's Letters to the President*
SAS: Sorry, we don't have this CD because we suck and hate Canadians.
Me: Grr... *tries TobyMac's Welcome to Diverse City*
SAS: Sorry, we -
Me: I GIVE UP! *grabs backpack and heads to Walmart*

Relient K is on Capitol records now. Their new CD does not mention Jesus at all (except for references to God on two songs).
I just got this CD, even though they don't actaully say 'God' in all their songs its pretty obvious they're talking about him in many of the songs. You don't have to say 'God' or 'Jesus' every other sentence doesn't mean its unsincere. So yeah, I agree with you.

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby serena » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:21 pm

i voted for TBL because i'm addicted to "this is your life" and meant to live and dare you to move are awesome, but my all time favorite switchfoot song is learning to breathe
serena

Postby CobaltAngel » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Dude!! Switchfoot's song "Sooner or Later" is gonna be on the Elektra soundtrack: http://www.elektrathealbum.com/music.html

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Return to Jam Session