Full Metal Alchemist vol. 8 chapt 31

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Full Metal Alchemist vol. 8 chapt 31

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:16 pm

Sigh.

I really like Full Metal Alchemist, but recently when I read volume 8 I was distressed at the rather sickening misuse of Christian symbolism, a story that has (basically) steered clear of such things as far as visuals were concerned (story wise, off course, is another matter).

What are your thoughts on this?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby CobaltAngel » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:03 am

Yeah, that really disturbed and disappointed me. I'd like to think its just a coincidense, but I'm not sure. Maybe they just tied him to a cross-shaped thing because it was the more convient? ^^;;
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:20 pm

Sorry, I haven't read this part exactly, but I thought I'd make a note that the Japanese practiced crucifixion even before Christian influences arrived. It was also not uncommon for prisoners to be tied to a cross-shaped stake-like thing (for lack of a better description) and displayed thus in discgrace before execution.
Aka-chan

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:37 am

Aka-chan wrote:Sorry, I haven't read this part exactly, but I thought I'd make a note that the Japanese practiced crucifixion even before Christian influences arrived. It was also not uncommon for prisoners to be tied to a cross-shaped stake-like thing (for lack of a better description) and displayed thus in discgrace before execution.

True, but since the story is filled with Christian symbolism (the guy who gets this punishment is an embodiment of the Deadly Sin Greed) then you can only assume that its gratuitous misuse. Off course its only an assumption, but still that doesn't mean I should like it. ;)
bigsleepj

Postby CobaltAngel » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:19 am

And it was his father/creator that was doing it to him too... that kinda disturbed me.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:04 am

I read the chapter I believe you refer to, and I didn't even consider this. In retrospect I see where you are coming from, but I really don't think it was meant to be taken that way at all. Other than straight-jacket style, that's really the only logical way to bind someone.
uc pseudonym

Postby dragonnova » Sun May 08, 2005 1:20 am

somebody gets crucified?! (obviously I haven't read the books yet... sorry) hmmm if that's true I can see your point... I got ahold of one of the Trigun books that had a sort of crucification of one of the bad guys and I couldn't touch the books again after that... so I can understand how it would bother you.
dragonnova

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 08, 2005 3:00 pm

dragonnova wrote:somebody gets crucified?!

To clarify: certain characters will regenerate from almost any injury, so destroying them is very difficult. One of these characters is killed by being strapped to a cross-like structure and lowered into acid.
uc pseudonym

Postby dragonnova » Sun May 08, 2005 6:19 pm

OOOOh, ok... make sense. You tend to see that sort of thing a lot in manga (that I've noticed, anyway... I had said that didn't get any more of the Trigun books because of a scene like that... but I still like Trigun....it all depends on the situation.)
dragonnova

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews