The greatest bands of all time

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

The greatest bands of all time

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:02 am

The greatest band of all time are, in no order:

The Beatles. They were one of the biggest influences on music in history.
The Rolling Stones. They were just an awesome band and still are today.
Aerosmith. They are alomst older than every band out there and are still making cd's.
Metallica. The most influential metal band since Led Zeppilin.
Led Zeppilin. The most influential metal band of all time.
Black Sabbath. They're just plain awesome. Practically inveted power chords
Nirvana. Started grunge.
Rage Against the Machine. Extremely talented and influential.
The Ramones. Started Punk when it was still worthwhile.
KoRn. Started Nu-Metal
The Beastie Boys and Run DMC. Popularized the rap movement when it was still worthwhile.
Tool. One of the most talented bands of all time.
Smashing Pumpkins. One of the most influential bands of the 90's.
MuDvAyNe. Extremeley talented.
Slipknot. Extremeley influential.
Elvis Presley. The greatest inflence on music in this century.
Guns'n'Roses. Great Metal Band.
Pink Floyd. Just Plain Awesome.
Rush. Talk about Talented.

Let me know if you think of anymore. :thumb:
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby TrigunX89 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:56 am

I can't stand anything old like the Beatles. (Sorry, I understand that a LOT of people do.) I do like some of the bands you listed, but I try not to listen to anything real explicit, so I mainly listen to Christian music. Otherwise, I think it usually has some negative effects on me.

When thinking of an influential Christian band, there's no denying DC Talk. I'm not a huge fan, but I do like a quite a bit of their music.
TrigunX89

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:44 am

yeah DC talk is a very influential christian band... i'd say jars of clay is a pretty influential christian band too
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Zedian » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:02 am

The Beatles and Pink Floyd in my eyes are two of some of the greatest bands, also Rush, Styx and Yes. Oh and well for Christian music that would be Zao since they pretty much paved the way for Christian hardcore bands like Underoath, Dead Poetic, mewithoutyou and Norma Jean.
Zedian

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:19 pm

I forgot to add pink floyd and guns'n'roses. I also Forgot Elvis. Sorry
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:33 pm

I also forgot AC/DC
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:59 am

Looking over your list, I'd have to say many of these bands have yet to prove themselves worthy of the title "Greatest". Not to say they aren't -- but I don't know that enough time has passed to show whether they truly had an influence on the music world.

Don't get me wrong. I used to listen to Rush all the time. I thought they were a good band, and they are. But I don't know if I'd put them in the category of 'greatest'. I would agree Neal Peart is one of the greatest drummers of all time... but I don't know that that makes Rush itself great.

What about King Crimson? Genesis (Peter Gabriel era)? Talking Heads? The Clash? There are four bands that had a major influence on the artistic side of rock. Many artists cite them as being influential in their development. Again, none of them may belong to the Greatest. But any one of them, I'd warrant, has had more of an impact than, say, KoRn.

We're often victims of the era we grow up in. It's like looking at the AFI Top 100 list, and seeing a lot of movie titles that have been produced in the 80s and 90s. Have movies really gotten that much better? Or is it that they were influential when we were at a significant point in our lives, and we overrate them because of it?

Just some food for thought. I tend not to do long lists myself, because they are really very subjective, but I read over your list and noted a lot of bands that have not yet stood the test of time.
ClosetOtaku

Postby Mizumi-Kun » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:05 pm

Hey, you forgot Depeche Mode. The prime of New Wave, the Remix Kings, and Christian themes all in one! And who could forget Fleetwood Mac? And even though they are solo artists, what about Michael Jackson, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Elton John, Billy Joel, and loads of others?
Mizumi-Kun

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:41 pm

Woot! I am glad Rush made the list! They have the most talented musicians I have ever seen perform in my entire life!

Neil Peart with his 300+ drums
Geddy Lee rocking the bass at an insane rate with ONE hand, playing the keyboards with his other hand and feet, and lead singer...that is impressive multi-tasking
And good Ol' Alex Lifeson busting out the unique Dorian-Lydian Diminished style scaling!!!!

They truely are a one of a kind band...one of a kind to the max.
SpikeSpiegel306

Return to Jam Session