my mom defended anime 0_o

Talk about anything in here.

my mom defended anime 0_o

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:46 pm

I was just watching Ghost in the Sehll: Stand Alone Complex when my nani (grandma) visited to bake christmas cookies. However, she was overhearing what was going on in the anime and wanted to see what it was. She obviously didnt like what I was watching and started attacking it. She than saw I weas drawing anime (actually working on a manga) and said I was "perverting the artistic gift God gave me". If it was a anime, you could literally see a sweat drop from me and my mothers head.

My mom then intervened that I'm drawing wholesome anime and after ebing accused of "bringing me up wrong" said she trusts me 100% in what I view. Pkus she commented on saying that anime has some intresting morals such as vowing not to kill in some series as well as keeping your friends first. She told my grandma she'd be extremely proud if I went into that line of work. Well...my nani was obviously flustered by my moms comment and me "perverting my artistic ability by drawing anime" and left. That got a huge surprise cause she's usually behind me 100% and take intrests in what I do. She even bares with my death metal music but that outburst from my grandma really shocked me. Even more so my mother defending anime which at times, views it as bad but she likes some series (Kenshin, Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, etc). I have a cool mom :lol:
Hitokiri

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:01 pm

Yeah. Cool anime parents are the best. My parents are starting ot be very cool about it, too. I'm so happy. They really don't question anything I buy anymore. They know they raised me right, and so I suppose they know I'll make decisions based on that. Which I do.

*sigh* It's nice, isn't it?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:07 pm

Your mom sounds cool, Hitokiri. ^_^ I wish my parents were like that. I mean, they trust me to buy good stuff, but they don't particularly like the fact that I'm into it. *shrugs*

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:12 pm

When I first read "when my nani (grandma) visited to make Christmas cookies", I thought "when my what grandma vis... huh? When my what? Oh, nanny, not nonny. Silly me."
But yeah, that's pretty cool that your mom stepped in like that. Anime is an oft-misunderstood form of entertainment, especially among older generations who don't know a thing about it and tend to assume the worst.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Riku777 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:15 pm

my parents are just starting to get into anime themselves. And they're not against it or anything so ya, it's nice :drool:
Adopted by Sammy-chu ^-^ *Wishes Sam*ron would come and visit sometimes*

Proud Owner of a limited edition Kaemmerite (AKA Nate) Plushi!!!

Mary had a little lamb.... AND THEN I ATE IT >:D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil:
Locke wrote:When life gives you lemons, make it into a blog and get comments. =/

Nate wrote:[color=black]Screw TNT: CAA Knows Drama.
[/color]
[color=#ffa500]"Thank you for killing this thread...
dragging it's poor comatose body into
the freeway....and allowing the trucks
of rabbits trails of offtopicness drive it
into the pavement. Please, feel free to
spit on it's skid mark remains.
You monster."
-Ark

[/color]
(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
[color=lime](> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination... [/color]Or I'll eat you, all up. Mwahahahahaha
@_@All my base are belong to bunny@_@
[color=mediumturquoise]猿]
Riku777

Location: Where we live in Igloos, it's below freezing ALL the time and where we talk about the Hockey Lockout

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:18 pm

you do have a cool mom ^^

keeping your friends first.

lol thats SO naruto :lol:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:33 pm

Your mum rules. My grandma is even less tolerant, sometimes when my brothers and I were much younger we would watch cartoons of the Disney or Warner Bros variety etc. She would ask why we were watching such rubbish! I would get a bit angry about it but keep it to myself.

Then the other night I was watching Noir volume 1 (fairly tame anime) - high body count but no blood, and mum seemed to be okay with it, but when dad heard the gunshots in some scenes he frowned, but didn't say anything. I need to get my parents into anime, badly. If they watched Last Exile they would probably approve though, I may give it a try.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:19 pm

(I just watched that anime - Ghost in the Shell - a couple days ago. It's awesome :D)
Anyway, yeah, that's really cool of your mom to defend anime. I've heard people say they consider anime to be a cultish kind of trend, which I don't really understand. Anime comprises so many different genres, and is available for such a spectrum of age that judging all anime is like blasting all shows on television for having objectionable content or something o_O there's too much of a variety to condemn it as a whole; it just seems like blind criticism to me. I do understand that a lot of parents just want to be on the safe side, however.. and I don't think being extra conservative can hurt.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Little T-chan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:29 pm

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!! XD <3 My parents don't really notice the anime...it's been my grand hobby since like 3rd grade..but it's just there for them..^^;; They have noticed I like it...but not much more than that. My mom likes Candy Candy though. Correction! She adores it!! ^__________^
[SIZE="6"][color="Pink"]♥ [font="Impact"]t-chan[/font]![/color][/SIZE]

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="Pink"]Everyday, it's You i live for!
Everyday, i'll follow after You!
Everyday, i'll walk with You, my Lord![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Little T-chan

Postby Hephzibah » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:30 pm

At first, my parents were VERY against it...
when I wanted to buy Gundam Wing, a very clean anime with alot of thought-provoking aspects to it and even based on Revelations (kinda), I had to find a whole heap of Christian reviews on it to convince my mum that it was ok. She eventually said yes, so I bought the entire series :grin:

However, several months later I was beginning to get rather obsessed about anime... my parents helped me to realise that it was bad, so I stopped doing anything related to it for quite sometime. Now that Im older though, I have begun to get into it again but making sure that I dont take it to the level it was before. My parents are cool with that, and are even liking some of the wallpapers I make :D
Hephzibah

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:20 am

Hitokiri...how does your mom feel about adoption? XD

But seriously, that's so cool. If I could just get my mom to accept my fandoom, that'd be great. ^_^

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:55 am

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Hitokiri...how does your mom feel about adoption? XD

But seriously, that's so cool. If I could just get my mom to accept my fandoom, that'd be great. ^_^

Rai

She finds it great...me and my sis are adopted ^_^
:lol:
Hitokiri

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:01 pm

Lucky you to have a mom like that.
My dad...doesn't *like* anime, and he teases me cause I buy it a lot. But he did like Princess Mononoke and Trigun. So it's not too bad.
My mom has nothing to say about anime at all except "what's that you're watching?" (in mildly confused tones)
Maledicte

Postby Kinkosami » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:03 pm

Your mom's cool Hitokiri.

I'm not totally sure where my mom stands on anime. We got into it so slowly that she never really said anything... or I just don't remember her saying anything. I don't think she's very fond of it though...
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:32 pm

My parents are cool about it, and I use cool in the sense of "passively tolerant", as long as I don't try to watch it with them in the room.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby That Dude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:36 pm

That's cool that your mom defended your anime. My grandparents and parents support all the anime and manga stuff that I do. They aren't into it that much but they support my love of it. I've wanted to be an anime artist for years and they think that it would be a great job for me. But anyway...They are mostly indifferent to anime. They just don't want me watching certian ones around my younger siblings.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:51 pm

Christian truths I've seen in anime:
1. Love your enemies. (How many times have you seen a villain change sides and join with the heroes)
2. Violence should only be used as a last resort (OK, maybe this isn't in the Bible, but it should be. Trigun is proof that this is taught. Vash tries his best to solve problems w/o violence.)
3. Protect the poor and oppressed (Kenshin, anyone?)
4. The greatest love is to lay down one's life for one's friends (how many heroes have done this?)
rocklobster

Postby Rogie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:35 pm

GO HITOKIRI'S MOM!!! WOOHOO! :thumb:

Sounds pretty cool. No one's really bashed me about the anime, although my sister finds it weird (she does like Kiki's Delivery Service, though). Plus, my nephew likes some of it. My mom has even mentioned wanting to sit down and actually watch something with me once. My pick for that viewing: Grave of the Fireflies (she'll bawl her eyes out!).
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby For_Him » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:01 pm

You got a cool mom. My parents aren't into anime, and alot of parents(especially christian) are a bit iffy when it comes to anime. I do like the ones where the main character(s) vows never to kill(Kenshin, Cyborg 009, and Trigun are a few I know). I've told my Dad about Trigun, and I don't know if he's interested.
Anyway Hitokiri, you've got a cool mom, consider yourself a lucky person.
Brother of Sparx00.

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: BCMac87

[SIZE="4"]My YouTube Channel[/SIZE]
For_Him

Postby ZiP » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:11 pm

Man, that's aweosme your mom sutck up for anime, for those of you who were around when Michael was, he tried to get our dad into anime, he showed him the movie of Cowboy Bebop, and now my dad winces every time I mention anime.
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Debitt » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:11 pm

^^ I'm glad you're blessed with a mother who's confident enough in you and how she raised you, Hitokiri.

My parents don't monitor what I watch - in fact, even though they're not anime fans, they too enjoy a good kung-fu/karate movie once and a while. My grandma was a bit iffy on the anime at first (she was disturbed by Heero's "I will kill you" line from Gundam Wing), but now she helps me translate the episodes Tactics and Wolf's Rain that I watch.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kura Ookami » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:11 pm

You've got a really cool mom :)

My parents dont really like it but they dont mind me watching it if they're not in the room.
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Tidus20 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:04 pm

My mom really likes Wolf's Rain...
When the clock reads 2113
-Coheed and Cambria

Check out my totally NOT MySpace thingy HERE.

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Location: A place not too far from my happy place. My left middle finger has touched the same guitar as that

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:19 pm

Yes, very very lucky to have a parent stick up for anime, and actually be supportive for your hobby. *sigh* My mom doesn't like anything unless it's real life, make you feel good movie, reality show, talk show, or a Pixar film. She doesn't hate it, but she thinks it's a waste, none the less. And any sensual looking person on a cover brings it immediatly into question about content or it being bad. (I.E. Cowboy Bebop movie, any Evangelion volumes, etc.)

My dad actually thinks it's pretty cool, and can appreciate some well-done animation and gets a kick out of the big-headed slapstick outbursts many anime characters have. But besides stuff like Kenshin or Big O, he doesn't like it because "it's so fatalistic". But c'mon, it can't always be a good ending, right?! That's asking too much.

And he still dumbly flips through any manga volume I buy, and questions anything on the cover, unless it's Kenshin. But he barely even gives a glance at any Anime DVD I buy in a store, yet if I buy something online, he's like, "Are you SURE you want to buy this?" Ugh, I just wish they'd accept it instead of seeing it as a waste.
Ichigo_89

Postby Kinkosami » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:37 pm

Oops...Err... ignore this post... >.>
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:16 pm

I'm really happy to hear that, Hitokiri. A lot of times, too many adults just write off something without any knowledge of it whatsoever. I'm glad to hear your mother is informed and even defending you and your talent.

Heh, as for my parents I did have to sit down and explain "what are you watching and why is that one guy cursing so much", but eventually when they saw that I was looking out for what my brother and sister too in my choices, they were fine with it. And of course, now I'm considered an adult in the house so they don't mind what I watch any more.
Ashley

Postby Kisa » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:38 pm

Sweet! I have my parents doing this somewhat too, eversince I showed them that all anime isn't bad, and the ones I watch and read are good and clean. ^^
Go parents!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Fireproof » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:34 pm

Right on. :cool:
:rock:
Fireproof

Postby c-girl » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:39 pm

That's awesome Hitokiri. >^.^<
I live to love and love to live! >^.^<
ImageImage
I am part of The No Group.. Group.. >"<.. >0.o<
~Real guys go for real down to Mars girls ~ "Roses" by Outkast
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Postby Jaltus-bot » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:45 pm

It is awesome! :)
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Next

Return to General