Rurouni Kenshin Manga discussion

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Rurouni Kenshin Manga discussion

Postby Kireihana » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:41 pm

There are so many Ken-fans here, and I felt we needed a thread where we can discuss in-depth all of the series as it is released. For those who have not read up to the most recent volumes you may want to watch out for spoilers. ^.~

So what did you guys think of volume 8? I loved it! It's my favorite so far. Misao is one of my favorite characters and I was so happy that she finally makes an appearance. It's nice to have a female main character who isn't obsessed with Kenshin for a change. (Not that there's anything wrong with being obsessed with Ken-san!)

I can't wait till volume 9!
Kireihana

Postby Kkun » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:52 pm

Volume 8 was good, but volumes 9+ are where the series starts to kick so much of a word I cannot say here. I agree that it's nice to have a good female character who is obsessed with another character other than Kenshin. Misao will become an even better character as they flesh her out more. The Kyoto arc is now running at full tilt, kids. Full tilt.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Kenshin17 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:53 pm

Yes!!! Kenshin rocks. I do think Misao is pretty cool and it is kinda nice to have a female character who isn't after Kenshin. (I like Kaoru and think she is the only one for Kenshin) :)
I did enjoy this volume. It won't be long before I'm reading manga farther then I have seen of the anime. I already have through volume eleven (I think) on order at hastings.

Kenshin is just too cool. The best Samarui in all of animedom ;)

I like Kenshins "dual" personality.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby oro! » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:54 pm

I really liked the 8th volume, but 7 made me literally cry. That ending!!! I know Kaoru was really down in the dumps and I hate it when a good character is sad(especially in the first part of 8). I liked Misao a lot too. It was also cool to see Kenshin out of Tokyo for a change. It was so funny when Misao called Kenshin all those names! and refressing me out of a depressed mood. I can't wait to read volume 9, when it comes out at my Borders.
Have any of y'all tried to do any of the characters moves? I have, though my flimsy plastic sword broke.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Kireihana » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:35 pm

oro!girl7 wrote: Have any of y'all tried to do any of the characters moves? I have, though my flimsy plastic sword broke.

XD, no I haven't, but even with a plastic sword I'd probably end up injuring myself.

I absolutely can't wait till volume 9 - it's coming out on the 11th, I think? After what you said aku_soku_zan I definitely believe it's going to be the best yet.

So who's your favorite character so far? Mine are Misao and Sano. But I've liked Sano from the start; Misao kind of grew on me (from watching the anime, too).
Kireihana

Postby oro! » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:19 pm

the obvious favorite character:Himura Kenshin
the others are sort of equal in my opinion
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:37 pm

Thanks to my friend who's collecting the whole series, I can read them as they come up^^

When Misao appeared I could only think of one thing.... "YUFFIE?!"
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Locke » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:50 pm

oro!girl7 wrote: Have any of y'all tried to do any of the characters moves? I have, though my flimsy plastic sword broke.

Yep! with my trusty bokken i have tryed all of his moves ( that are humanly posible) =D

i tryed the "jump like a bird and swing sword" manuver , but hurt my self ><
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:31 pm

I only have the first 3 volumes but I'm hoping to expand soon. I love this manga, much more than the anime which I find not too cool. :)
bigsleepj

Postby MasterDias » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:35 pm

I don't suggest trying any of Kenshin's sword techniques at home or you will seriously sprain something.

But, yeah... Misao's a fun character and at the moment I'm liking her better than Kaoru who did little but mope for most of Volume 8.
I'm also looking forward to Volume 9...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kkun » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:07 am

[quote="Kireihana"]XD, no I haven't, but even with a plastic sword I'd probably end up injuring myself.

I absolutely can't wait till volume 9 - it's coming out on the 11th, I think? After what you said aku_soku_zan I definitely believe it's going to be the best yet.

So who's your favorite character so far? Mine are Misao and Sano. But I've liked Sano from the start]

Oh yeah, Kireihana, the manga series is now just to the point where everything that happens is cool. There isn't a bad chapter from here to the end of the series. It's all wonderful.

As for my favorite character, I would have to EASILY say that it's Hajime Saitou. Also, Sojirou is great for the part that he plays. And, later, one of my favorite characters becomes Shinomori Aoshi...in roughly a year and a half, you who read the manga will know what I mean.
Kkun

Postby Sephiroth » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:19 am

Saitoh is cool, and after watching Kenshin and peacemaker kurogane, i love anything shinsengumi. Though you see more of my favourite character in the Truth & Betreyal OVA's, i think Okita is the coolest.
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:45 pm

Have any of y'all tried to do any of the characters moves? I have, though my flimsy plastic sword broke.

Yeah, I can do basically all of them except for that earth-shaking one (duh...) and the "airborne-for-ten-minutes" one... :lol:

Misao is funny. Especially in number 9 with the "special ability: girl of 100 faces" thing. *hahaha*

Misao-dono wrote:
"TELL ME, you...carrot-topped... scar-faced... law-breaking... red-dressed ...GIRLY-MAN!!!!"
:grin: :sweat:

"Himura, you look impressive when you're grim and silent...but you're kind of scary, too. I prefer the Himura who's relaxed and says "Oro." ...Ohh, yeah. He's much better."

(She must get on his nerves, eh???)
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:21 am

I've only breezed through a couple of volumes. They say the manga's a whole lot better than the anime.
K. Ayato

Postby oro! » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:32 pm

I believe the manga is much better than the anime, but the show is pretty good too. The fights are a little clearer, and it has a whole different storyline almost on some parts.
I still haven't gotten nine yet! Stupid store. I bet if I lived near, say a Barnes and Nobles, it would be different. But I guess I'll just have to learn patience.
oro!

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:23 pm

Patience, patience, patience...it is the key to problems, especially on the toilet.

(Hunt around for a certain someone's signature...:lol: )

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

Heart of Sword

Postby snapdragon76 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:41 am

I saw vol. 9 in the bookstore and I sobbed many bitter tears due to the fact that I was too broke to buy it. I flipped through it and it looks mighty good. Of course, I can't wait until the Jinchuu Arc is translated. My favorite storyarc. *loves on the Jinchuu Arc*

Friendships multiply joys and divide griefs. --H.G. Bohn
snapdragon76

Postby snapdragon76 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:42 am

I saw vol. 9 in the bookstore and I sobbed many bitter tears due to the fact that I was too broke to buy it. I flipped through it and it looks mighty good. Of course, I can't wait until the Jinchuu Arc is translated. My favorite storyarc. *loves on the Jinchuu Arc*

EDIT: Ignore this one. A glitch occured and it posted twice... :shady:

Friendships multiply joys and divide griefs. --H.G. Bohn
snapdragon76

Postby oro! » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:56 am

Hah! At last the coveted Rurouni Kenshin #9 is in my bookstore. The only problem is getting there....
So are any of you asking for Rurouni Kenshin paraphanelia(ooh big word) for Christmas? I sure am, but don't know. It is so hard to tell what's in those packages. Just about all of them look the same. A small box which could have an action figure, a manga, a DvD or maybe jewelry. It is killing me! Should I get the ninth or wait, should I buy a DVD or wait! I'll live. yeah
oro!

Postby Kkun » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:55 pm

I asked for Rurouni Kenshin vol. 3 and 4 on DVD since I have 1-2 and 5-22 on DVD already. Actually, I know I got 3 and 4 because dad let me place the order for them myself. >_> And I'd like to get RuroKen vol. 9 manga.
Kkun

Postby aule1701 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:28 am

i have 9 ha ha ha ha
its great can't wait for 10 thats when cho shows up
oohh yeeah
A person is smart people are dumb
"Perception is reality and reality is perception"- me
He who is easly amused is amused more often
He who laughs last was just to dumb to get the joke
aule1701

Postby oro! » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:55 pm

I just got 9 the other day. I got a ride to go to the bookstore! It was really good, and I was tempted to speed right through it , as I always do, but my mum was like, you gonna do that agaaaiiiinnn. I recognized the fallen priest fighter as a character from the fisrt or second extra. It was good that they gave such a cool design to good use.
EDIT: Heh, I guess I talk about myself too much. Come on other Kenshin-gumi(right?). I know you're out there
oro!

Postby Heart of Sword » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:13 am

10's OUT! *stalks around the Waldenbooks store*

Waldenbooks gets 'em fast. ^_^;

*people look outside to see a big brown wolf peering eagerly through the window before the store's open*

People: Eeeeee! It's the big bad wolf!

Me: Oro?! Nonono, I just wanna get manga...! *gets chased away*

*whinnnnne* T_T

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Postby oro! » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Ha! So you have grown fur since last I saw you, my friend? The rest is already there. Bro wants to tell you that you're insane and very strange. Um, we all knew that right?

It is so wrong that you otheres gets mine preciousses before this one. 10 ain't coming to local stores until February, though i guess I could convince someone to take me elsewhere.
oro!

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:31 pm

I only have vol. 1-6... *Cries.*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kenshin17 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:29 am

I have volume 10!!! *ducks all the angry fangirls*
AAAHHHH!!!

Its pretty good so far. Of course I have seen the anime through the Kyoto arch so there is not much new for me, but its still really good. I love R-Kenshin.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Kireihana » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:18 am

No the actual release date for vol. 10 was the 11th. I've got to get to the store to pick it up with vol. 3 of Whistle!
Kireihana

Postby oro! » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:19 pm

Kenshin17 wrote:I have volume 10!!! *ducks all the angry fangirls*
AAAHHHH!!!

Comes up from behind with my katana :lickbash:*kenshin17 goes oro!* Ha! You can't dodge me! You were asking for it.

Shao Feng-Li wrote:I only have vol. 1-6... *Cries.*

That doesn't seem to stop you from being a pretty good fan, but really they're pretty cheap! The manga is different from the anime, so it's cool. Save maybe 9 bucks and get you the next one, though *warning* it's really sad in 7.
oro!

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:51 pm

I picked up Volume 10 the other day. I am glad to see Kaoru is mostly back to her old self in this volume. Her moping and such after Kenshin's departure was getting on my nerves.

And I will say that Yahiko and Misao make an interesting pair...

It may be just me, but it seems to be coming out at the stores slightly slow for being switched to a monthly release...but whatever...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Heart of Sword » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:07 am

[quote]It is so wrong that you otheres gets mine preciousses before this one.[/QUOTE\
You don't know how weird that sounds, Orogirl. :sweat:

"Mine preciousses"?!!! I thought I was the one with the Gollum impressions! :lol:

About the fur...nah...I'm just a wolf sometimes. *lick tailwag lick tailwag*

Yahiko + Misao? Ooohhhh dear. o_o *hides*

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews