What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:14 pm

The next book I'm going to read is This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'm lookinf forward to it ^__^
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:18 pm

Assassins (Book 6 of the Left Behind series).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby madphilb » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:44 pm

[quote="Gypsy"]Ok, I'll keep reading, but I'm holding you responsible if I don't like it. ]
That's fine, but only on the stipulation that if you do like it, I get all the credit for making you keep reading ;)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Jasdero » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:16 am

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby FadedOne » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:39 am

lol..i'm multi-tasking my reading

Perelandra---CS Lewis
Harry Potter #2---JK Rowling
I Kissed Dating Goodbye---Joshua Harris
Trigun #1---Yasuhiro Nightow (can you believe this is the first manga i've read? o.o)
Waking the Dead---John Eldredge

oh yeah, i'm also reading through Genesis and reading part of a 'Gospel of the Matrix' book.

rofl..truly scary eh? yes...i'm obsessed. :-P
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Jasdero » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:17 pm

>.>;;;; How do you keep the story plots straight? O.O I can read about 3 books at the same time.. and if they're book with similar subjects, I'm dead... =_=;

Jasdero

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:52 pm

Sunako wrote:A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

I think i just stocked that at our bookstore at the college.
I'm reading nothing... I jsudt gawtz dun wit de skool feinals.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FadedOne » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:38 am

[quote="Sunako"]>.>]
haha...well, I can only read a couple fiction at a time usually(the manga doesn't count b/c I seem to be able to pick that up any time. :) )

But yeah, the rest is mostly non-fiction stuff. I hadn't had time to read much til this summer, so now i'm fully indulging. Problem is that there's too much to read and I keep getting MORE distracting suggestions. haha. Next on the list, the 2nd Trigun, the Halo trilogy(i'm not sure if it's a true trilogy, but yeah), and 3rd CS Lewis book, and rereading the LOTR trilogy.

umm yeah..might take awhile. *grins*
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Technomancer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:35 pm

I've just started Carol Off's book "The Ghosts of Medak Pocket: The Story of Canada's Secret War".

The book details the battle of the Medak Pocket and its aftermath. The battle was fought in September 1993 between Canadian and Croatian forces when the Canadians were ordered to hold the Medak salient against any Croatian advance (which they did). News of the incident however was suppressed for political reasons by the Canadian government and the UN.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:39 pm

Loads of Shakespeare:
Macbeth
King Lear
Hamlet
Henry V
Othello

Also:
Apostles of Rock: The Splintered World of Contemporary Christian Music, by Jay R. Howard and John M. Streck

Hey everyone, by the way! :brow:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Lady Arianrod » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:10 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:Loads of Shakespeare:
Macbeth
King Lear
Hamlet
Henry V
Othello

Also:
Apostles of Rock: The Splintered World of Contemporary Christian Music, by Jay R. Howard and John M. Streck

Hey everyone, by the way! :brow:

ooh, shakespeare... and so many plays at one time! I never read Henry V or King Lear... I've heard that the latter is very grim.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:16 pm

reading Waking up Screaming. It's a collection of HP Lovecraft storys.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mastersquirrel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:10 am

Reading Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:11 pm

mastersquirrel wrote:Reading Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Nice choice! Although it was a few years ago, I really liked that one.
GhostontheNet

Postby pyro_moogle » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:17 pm

I am also reading Eye of the world. I really like it. The plot is rather deep and confusing. I reccomend it. I is a prettty good fantasy read.
[{ Waste of Paint }]
pyro_moogle

Postby Jasdero » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:54 pm

Terry Goodkind's Faith of the Fallen

Jasdero

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:44 pm

He he.... I'm reading....

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë

It is for a class, and I really don't know what to think of it yet.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:09 pm

In a moment I will be picking up and beginning Catch 22. The very cool aspect of this is that it is actually for a class, and I have been wanting to read it for some time in any case.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:36 pm

Raymond Chandler's "Farewell, my Lovely".

A very good novel so far if you like Raymond Chandler and the likes
bigsleepj

Postby Jasdero » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:47 pm

CRANK by Ellen Hopkins. I thought this was a book with assorted poetry in it, and it turns out that it's an actual story, just written differently... I wish I hadn't bought it, because the storyline is really annoying.. >.<

Jasdero

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:49 pm

Right now I'm reading St. Ursula's Girls Against The Atomic Bomb. It's by Valerie Hurley and so far it's pretty good. Really well written and funny, I think.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:05 pm

I'm reading 'We Dance Because We Cannot Fly'. Its a non-fiction about the awesome work being done with drug addicts in various countries.
Hephzibah

Postby Lady Arianrod » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:41 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:In a moment I will be picking up and beginning Catch 22. The very cool aspect of this is that it is actually for a class, and I have been wanting to read it for some time in any case.

I've always wanted to read Catch 22 and 1984. George Orwell was quite the intelligent author. I don't know much about Joseph Heller, however.

Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:29 pm

I would give 1984 my recommendation. At the moment I have read a fair portion of Catch 22 and my response is mixed. On one hand, it is very cleverly written and has entertained me well. On the other, however, I have not been very impressed by Heller's inclusion of a great deal of (largely pointless) sexual content.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kesshin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:30 pm

I'm currently re-reading Lirael, by Garth Nix. Definitely makes my top ten list. It is one of the best fantasy books I've found so far.
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby Omega Amen » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:56 pm

I just finished The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life by Dr. Armand M. Nicholi, Jr. I highly enjoyed it, and I found it far more interesting than the PBS TV series that was inspired from this book. The book is well written and would be considered fairly short for the avid reader. Personally, I am fascinated by the many similarities in the lives of Freud and Lewis, and the occasional irony that their lives show when faced with their proclaimed views, especially in Freud's case. For those interested in the question on how one develops the belief or disbelief in the existence of God, or if you are even just interested in psychology, I strongly recommend reading this book.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:44 pm

I am taking advantage of a bit of a holiday break to try and read several books at once:
Crime and Punishment by that Russian guy whose name I can't spell
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'engle (again; I haven't read it in 8 years)
The Great Tree of Avalon: Child of the Dark Prophesy by T. A. Barron (author of all four books of the Lost Years of Merlin Trilogy. XD Good series.)
Aka-chan

Postby AsterlonKnight » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:16 pm

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Laughter is timeless
Imagination has no age
And Dreams are forever~Disney

Be true! Be true! Be true! Show freely to the world, if not your worst, yet some trait whereby the worst may be inferred!~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
AsterlonKnight

Postby harina » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:06 am

I just started with Through the looking-glass by Lewis Caroll. It's like the sequel for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebr. 11:1]
harina

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:10 pm

Omega Amen wrote:I just finished The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life by Dr. Armand M. Nicholi, Jr. I highly enjoyed it, and I found it far more interesting than the PBS TV series that was inspired from this book. The book is well written and would be considered fairly short for the avid reader. Personally, I am fascinated by the many similarities in the lives of Freud and Lewis, and the occasional irony that their lives show when faced with their proclaimed views, especially in Freud's case. For those interested in the question on how one develops the belief or disbelief in the existence of God, or if you are even just interested in psychology, I strongly recommend reading this book.

I actually stumbled across the TV version and was quite surprised by it. I didn't even realize there was a book on which the program was based. I think I also would like to read this - have to do some research, especially being a Psychology major.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner