a suicidal skillet song??

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

a suicidal skillet song??

Postby wolfs_rain_hige » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:30 am

i listend to skillets song "Open Wounds" and i thought that music was cool, but when i listend to the lyrics, i found the song somewhat suicidal, ive posted the lyrics so you can decide for yourself.

"In the dark with the music on
Wishing I was somewhere else
Taking all your anger out on me, somebody help
I would rather rot alone
Then spend a minute with you
I'm gone, I'm gone

And you can't stop me from falling apart
'Cause my self-destruction is all your fault

(Chorus)How could you, how could you,
how could you hate me?
When all I ever wanted to be was you?
How could you, how could you, how could you love me?
When all you ever gave me were open wounds?

Downstairs the enemy sleeps
Leaving the TV on
Watching all the dreams we had turn into static
Doesn't matter what I do
Nothing's gonna change
I'm never good enough

And you can't stop me from falling apart'
Cause my self-destruction is all your fault

(Chorus)

Tell me why you broke me down and
betrayed my trust in youI'm not giving up,
giving in when will this war end?
When will it end?

You can't stop me from falling apart (3X)
'Cause my self-destruction is all your fault.

(Chorus)"
wolfs_rain_hige

Postby Kkun » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:41 am

The song is about John Cooper's bad relationship with his father. By self-destruction, he doesn't mean committing suicide, he means losing his self esteem, and thinking he's worthless because of the way his father treated him.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby wolfs_rain_hige » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:51 am

aku_soku_zan wrote:The song is about John Cooper's bad relationship with his father. By self-destruction, he doesn't mean committing suicide, he means losing his self esteem, and thinking he's worthless because of the way his father treated him.

oh..... well it sounded like suicide when i first heard it.
wolfs_rain_hige

Postby glitch1501 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:21 pm

an easy misunderstanding, where did you hear that from aku?

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Kkun » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:32 pm

Where DID I hear that? I believe it was from a concert review that someone wrote and told, verbatim, what John Cooper said about it.
Kkun

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:44 am

cool

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 am

Just from reading the lyrics it shows how it's all about his father.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:40 am

If I had to guess...being on the new lable. They told John to write a song like this. It can easily be taken as either depression or his father....much like a band like Lifehouses songs can be love loves to girls or God. They walk the line with lyrics to please the most people. I am sad to see Skillet starting this trend...as they are one of my fav bands....though I thought it was lame they toured with Salvia. (who were decent on there first cd...now there kinda lame)
Stephen

Postby CobaltAngel » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:33 am

They told John to write a song like this. It can easily be taken as either depression or his father....much like a band like Lifehouses songs can be love loves to girls or God.
Nobody can be as sickingly that way as Jump5.

Are the other songs on the album that way, or just that one? There ARE alot of depressed and anger teenagers out there and maybe they're just trying to relate to those so they can understand God loves them too?
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Kkun » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:18 am

CobaltAngel wrote:Nobody can be as sickingly that way as Jump5.

Are the other songs on the album that way, or just that one? There ARE alot of depressed and anger teenagers out there and maybe they're just trying to relate to those so they can understand God loves them too?

The other songs on the CD are semi-ambiguous about their faith, but still awesome, either way. Every song on the album has a good message, especially songs like Under My Skin and Energy.
Kkun

Postby skynes » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:19 am

Alien Youth (their last album) was focused heavily on how us as Christians are supposed to be different, be aliens to the world and reach out to the world with God's Truth.

Collide is the next step, it's about 'Ok, we're different in this world, how can we live that life with all this hatred and suffering and imperfection around us and in us'

Taking the songs as a whole you can see it's about a Christian's inner turmoil. Their own sin and guilt torturing them, the collisions of their fear and faith.

I'm going to go through some of the songs, I may not be 100% correct on what I get from them, thats an advance warning.

Forsaken: A Christian being really close to God, spending lots of time with Him, then as time progresses, slipping away slowly (as we all do at sometime), then feeling the guilt of having turned away and wanting to return

Savior: Taken from God's perspective on how only He can save us.

Collide: I think it's spiritual warfare. We're being attacked on all sides, yet something inside of us holds us together.

Fingernails/Imperfection: Both about Christians failing and feeling rotten about it.

You have to take all the songs together or they just don't make sense.

On Open Wounds: It's nothing to do with their secular label. They were recording Open Wounds looong before they joined Lava. It was Ardent wanting to rush out the album for Christmas and not giving them enough time to get Open Wounds onto it, so they didnt get it finished until after they joined Lava.
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby wolfs_rain_hige » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:58 am

CobaltAngel wrote:Nobody can be as sickingly that way as Jump5.

well Savior is talkling about someone who needs god, but alot of the songs on the CD are real heavy and with meaning.
wolfs_rain_hige

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:18 pm

I can see how you might get confused and think that song is about suicide. For me when I heard it my first thought was this guy is really ticked at someone. Anyway that could just be because I can relate to it a lot. So yeah. I really like the song and it's probably my favorite one on that cd.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:15 pm

I actually really like that song. Yes, their songs are a bit more vague than normal, but John Cooper has always seemed to be someone who's really strong in his faith. I think he just felt lead to write lyrics that are more depressing this time around, since you see these sort of songs all over the place right now. Almost all of the songs point to some sort of hope, and if someone hears those songs, they might start to search for the hope that's mentioned in those CDs.

BTW, totally agree with the Jump5 comment. In a Christian magazine, a song was said to be about God. In American Girl, they said it was about first love. >_<
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby TrigunX89 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:54 am

Wait... Open Wounds is on the Collide album? I have the CD and have listened to it multiple times, but never have I heard Open Wounds.
TrigunX89

Postby FadedOne » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:14 am

TrigunX89 wrote:Wait... Open Wounds is on the Collide album? I have the CD and have listened to it multiple times, but never have I heard Open Wounds.

Hmm..it's the 3rd track on mine. I had heard the CD was re-released though.....could that be why? I suspect mine is the new release.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Kkun » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:08 am

Right you are, Faded One. The original version of Collide was released on Ardent Records in November of 2003. The new one was released sometime in 2004 on Lava Records with Open Wounds and enhanced material. I bought both copies around the times they came out.
Kkun

Postby skynes » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:08 am

They did release 2 albums, because Ardent wanted Collide rushed out for Christmas, they didn't give Skillet time to record Open Wounds and get it on the album. so when they signed with Lava and re-released it they had the song on it.

I have the original one (autographed too :D), I might get the one with Open Wounds on it too.

skynes

Postby TrigunX89 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:59 pm

Aww... Ok thanks. I'll try to listen to the song anyway...
TrigunX89

Postby skynes » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:02 am

goto http://www.skillet.org

If memory serves correctly you can listen to the whole song for free on their online player.

skynes

Return to Jam Session