What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Mave » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:08 am

Technomancer wrote:It's a worthwhile read, but a bit plodding in parts. Darwin is very repetetive in offering examples, but does make his point well (albeit over and over again). The material is easy to grasp of course, since he wrote it so that any horsebreeder could have understood it. His 'Voyage of the Beagle' BTW was a far better read IMO, but lacked the significance of his later work.

Hmm....actually the book I have combines both the Origin of Species and Voyage of the Beagle. Do you think I should read the voyage book first?

Osaka, yeah I've heard of that too. I wonder how much of Darwin's theory still stands. I look forward to forming my own opinion about this topic once I've done some substantial research of my own...it might take a while though. ^_^;;
Mave

Postby Technomancer » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:48 pm

Mave wrote:Hmm....actually the book I have combines both the Origin of Species and Voyage of the Beagle. Do you think I should read the voyage book first?

Not really. Neither book is a prerequisite for the other, it's just that IMO Voyage of the Beagle is a better read in terms of holding the reader's interest.

[quote]
Osaka, yeah I've heard of that too. I wonder how much of Darwin's theory still stands. I look forward to forming my own opinion about this topic once I've done some substantial research of my own...it might take a while though. ^_^]

Darwin was substantially correct, although he did get a few details wrong. For example, he had no knowledge of Gregor Mendel's work, and so didn't correctly identify a mechanism for inheritance. Other sciences have likewise advanced since Darwin's day and clarified or corrected his original work.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:12 pm

In the interest of preventative action, I would ask that discussion of evolution in an argumentative sense be not continued via the public forums. You may, of course, discuss the books in question.
uc pseudonym

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:50 pm

I'm reading Mossflower, by: Brian Janques.
Really good book so far, although I know it probably is considered a childrens book I've really enjoyed it! :sweat:
I think it's kinda like Narnia you know; never really been an age limit! ;)
The Last Bard

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:29 pm

I will soon begin reading A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller. It looks promising, though I cannot comment upon it yet.
uc pseudonym

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:19 pm

Revelation: New Cambridge Commentary by Ben Witherington. I had bought this book knowing that Witherington's specialty is socio-rhetorical commentary, hoping that it would be useful. Although I disagree with Witherington on several/many points, and think he sometimes tries to weasel out of inconvenient verses (such as his bail-outs from his great admission that no amount of tampering with the list of Roman kings of Revelation 17:10 can make Domitian, under whose reign he thinks the book was written, be the the sixth that the book says is now reigning), however overall it has been very useful.
GhostontheNet

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:34 pm

Enchanters' End Game by David Eddings. It's the fifth in his Belgariad series. This series is also the very first fantasy fiction I've ever read. I'm liking this genre. ^______^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Kesshin » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:36 pm

You've never read fantasy fiction before, Chloe? I didn't know that. It's my favorite genre, next to good science fiction. If you want to read more, I'd recommend Diana Wynne Jones's "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci", or Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series. Then again, just about everything Lloyd Alexander writes is excellent. ^^

I'm rereading the Lord of the Rings saga, because once is not enough. *heh*
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby ally-san » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:32 am

i just finished pygmalion and also crime & punishment which was good by the way :)
"The only consolation I find in your immediate presence is your ultimate absence."

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Lord I give you my heart
I give you my soul
I live for you alone
Every breathe that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have your way in me..
ally-san

Postby SwordSkill » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:41 pm

Jin Yong's Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Kat Walker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:29 pm

Just finished Paradise Lost a few weeks ago. I've been reading the Book of Daniel extensively, and will probably start on some Charles Dickens for the holidays. Got to keep up with the classics.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:35 pm

Kesshin wrote: You've never read fantasy fiction before, Chloe? I didn't know that. It's my favorite genre, next to good science fiction. If you want to read more, I'd recommend Diana Wynne Jones's "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci", or Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series. Then again, just about everything Lloyd Alexander writes is excellent. ^^

No, as silly as that sounds. ^^;;; Thanks for referrals. I may look into them. I finished David Eddings Belgariad series and will start the Mallorean series as soon as I buy it. And then, I have to read Stephen Lawhead - or a certain wolf may bite me. XD ^________^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Kat Walker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:40 pm

Oh yes, and the Apocrypha. I have been meaning to do so for quite some time.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby agasfas » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:16 pm

I've just finished Plato's "The Republic" for philosphy Errr.... Thank goodness that is over. It's not that it's hard reading, it's just I wish Socrates wouldn't go off into a million tangents. Oh well :P
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Technomancer » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:54 am

I've been taking a bit of a break from Terry Sejnowski's book, and just finished Michael Ondaatje's novel "Anil's Ghost"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:58 am

While I am still working on A Canticle for Leibowitz I am also reading The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I predict I will finish it extremely soon. When the plot is actually moving it is not bad, though it often lags. Furthermore, the entire story is in quotes, and often we have quotes within quotes within quotes, none of which are paragraphed.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lady Arianrod » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:33 pm

I read a novel by Conrad... Victory, I believe. Conrad can be a bit dry, but his prose is especially good for someone who spoke English as a third language.

My current assignment is The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. It's an assigned novel, but it's not so bad.

Non-assigned reading = Angelic Layer volume 3!
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:55 am

I agree that he is dry, but I can generally deal with that. For the man himself I have at least some respect (impressive mastery of a third language), but I did not enjoy Heart of Darkness (which I have finished). As it progressed it seemed to break down and lose the coherency that it once had.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kkun » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:12 am

Right now it's one of the Halo books, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis(for about the fifth time, I love that book), and I want to start A Canticle For Leibowitz. It looks interesting and I've been meaning to read it for some time.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:25 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I agree that he is dry, but I can generally deal with that. For the man himself I have at least some respect (impressive mastery of a third language), but I did not enjoy Heart of Darkness (which I have finished). As it progressed it seemed to break down and lose the coherency that it once had.

I didn't read Heart of Darkness yet, but my teacher cited it as being a disturbing, effective book. I wasn't interested in reading it, however.

What I do want to read is The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky... It's supposed to be his best work.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Libby » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:47 pm

I like to read many books at a time, because my attention span is so short....

Right now, I'm reading:
Public Opinion and Popular Goverment
Wildfire by Zane Grey
An incredibly forgettable romance novel
and The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

Next on my list: Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain.

I just finished Califia's Daughters by Leigh Richards, and it was really good, about what could happen if war and disease leave the population 95% women. It's so interesting to read about the culture that could develop, but the personal stories of the men and women were what really drove the story. The end was way to open, but if the worst you can say about a book is that you wish it were longer -- well, that's a pretty good book. ^_^
Libby

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:26 am

Lady Arianrod wrote:I didn't read Heart of Darkness yet, but my teacher cited it as being a disturbing, effective book. I wasn't interested in reading it, however.

Critic's views vary widely... as I'll be exploring further fairly soon. The course I am reading it for will be later today, and we'll be examining many different critics on the subject of the book. I've given them a cursory overview (though that wasn't necessary for the class) and they vary from praising it as brilliant social masterpiece to condemning it as a poorly written, racist novel.
uc pseudonym

Postby The Doctor » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:39 am

Hmm...I'm reading ALOT of things these days...but not consistently.

Here's my pattern for book reading: I pick the book up, read a little bit, put it down for weeks or months, pick it up again, etc. I only go on BINGE reading (where I read alot of the books I'm in the progress of finishing) on road trips or any kind of out of town trip.

So, here's what I'm reading:
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Strategy by B.H. Liddell Hart
Sources of Japanese Tradition. (pretty much a history book of Japan)
Filmmakers on Filmmaking (got a chapter on Akira Kurosawa :) )

The only thing I'm better at reading regularly is the Bible. Currently my friends and I are studying Matthew, in my private time I go through Psalms.

There are a whole lot more books I've put down many months ago that I still haven't finished, and may never finish due to lack of interest, so I listed the ones that are most recent.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby serena » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:40 am

from the bible i'm reading daniel and james, i'm also reading book one in the pendragon series, so far it's good, i'm rereading ender's game for the upteenth millionth time (i just love that book) and i'm going to read dealing with dragons by patricia c. wrede and reread the narnia series.
serena

Postby Lady Arianrod » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Critic's views vary widely... as I'll be exploring further fairly soon. The course I am reading it for will be later today, and we'll be examining many different critics on the subject of the book. I've given them a cursory overview (though that wasn't necessary for the class) and they vary from praising it as brilliant social masterpiece to condemning it as a poorly written, racist novel.

I've heard the racist angle before. I guess one has to analyze the time period as well, but his other novel was a bit condescending towards women, Asians, and island natives.

Lady Arianrod

Postby Gypsy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:26 pm

I'm reading Empyrion by Lawhead. Boring so far - anyone have any encouraging words like "it gets better"?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Retten » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:30 pm

I am reading "Black" by Ted Dekker :thumb:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby jazz » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:38 pm

Gypsy wrote:I'm reading Empyrion by Lawhead. Boring so far - anyone have any encouraging words like "it gets better"?

OH! *trying to dig up something from her memory.... * ... ... ... ... ... sigh. sorry gypsy. i have a friend who has read it and tells me... stuff. i was going to say something insightful, but seeing as how i haven't read it myself, and i cant remember anything... i'm not much help. i've been told i'ts good though... if that makes a difference.... :sweat:

oh! and right now i'm reading Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis, for the third time... sigh. i really enjoy his work.
jazz

Postby madphilb » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:14 pm

Gypsy wrote:I'm reading Empyrion by Lawhead. Boring so far - anyone have any encouraging words like "it gets better"?

Great books... does pick up after a while.... frankly it's on my top 10 list (if I where to make one).... I've read the books about 4-5 times (hmm... maybe I should read it again ;) )
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Gypsy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:54 am

[quote="madphilb"]Great books... does pick up after a while.... frankly it's on my top 10 list (if I where to make one).... I've read the books about 4-5 times (hmm... maybe I should read it again ]
Ok, I'll keep reading, but I'm holding you responsible if I don't like it. ;)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner