Your Favorite Band

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Your Favorite Band

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:25 am

This is the thread where you post your three favorite bands. Not the best band ever, but your favorite band. Tell why you like them the bast and stuff.

My favorite band ever is probably KoRn. They practically invented Nu/Metal and are great at what they do. John Davis has one of the most unique and best sounding metal voices in music.

My Second Favortie band is probably the Smashing Pumpkins. I love the lyrics, the sound, and the songs. They have an extremely unique sound, and the Billy Corgan has a great voice.

My Third favorite band of all time is Tool. Tool is extremely talented, and great musicians. They are one of the most musically complex rock bands out there today. They are one of the few bands that play outside of the standard 4/4 time. Maynard, however annoying he is in real life, has one of the greatest voices in rock ever. The guitarist and bassist are really good too. The drummer is incredible. Period.

Those are mine. Post away.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Kkun » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:19 pm

Five Iron Frenzy:

FIF is just good, fun ska-punk. I enjoy their lyrics, from the mind-numbingly silly (Oh, Canada) to the deeply moving (Every New Day). FIF has tons of awesome music and they are probably my favorite band seeing as I own all nine of their CDs. Reese Roper is a very clever lyricist, and Keith Hoerig is a very good bass player. Even though they only make up for 1/4th of FIF together(8 members in total), they are my two favorite members. Reese has a very different voice that has lots of range to it. So, for my number one favorite band, it's FIF.

Project 86:
Project 86 is absolutely amazing live. While I disagree with some of lead singer Andrew Schwab's political views, I cannot say anything bad about his awesome voice and the band's awesome bass-heavy sound. Their lyrics are often well thought out and insightful, and Songs To Burn Your Bridges By is one of my favorite CDs of 2004 (the re-release on Tooth and Nail, of course, seeing as the original came out in 2003). Project 86 is probably one of my favorite bands of the harder variety. Project also has one of the BEST live shows I've ever seen. The intensity is incredible. You can cut the atmosphere at a Project show with a knife, it's so thick.

mewithoutYou:
I first heard about mwY about two years ago and I didn't care for them at all. Now, after buying both of their CDs after giving them another shot, I can easily say that they are one of my favorite bands. The music is often relatively simple but to the point. The drummer plays interesting rhythms and the bass and two guitars generally border somewhere between hardcore and rock n' roll. Where mwY really shines, however, are in their amazing lyrics and Aaron Weiss' incredible vocal delivery. Weiss doesn't "sing" such much as he speaks his lyrics or passionately shouts them and it works so well. mwY is one of those bands that I have to see play live before either I die, or they die. They're just that good. Catch For Us The Foxes is another CD that is one of my favorites of 2004. It's so awesome.

Honorable mentions for bands that I REALLY like but aren't as awesome as these, in my opinion:
Blindside (I own all of their CDs and they are really good, but sadly for them, mewithoutYou has surpassed them)
Showbread (incredible, but I need more of their music for them to become one of my favorite bands)
Underoath(not as good as any of these others, but The Changing Of Times is an amazing CD).
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Spencer » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:03 pm

These aren't in order, I just picked my fave 3.

Yellowcard: They are kickin. They incorporate a violin into their music, which is insane, so mega kudos to them. The singer is rad, and they have some catchy stuff. Ocean Avenue doesn't count.

Goo Goo Dolls: John Rzeznik is a cool dude. He sings like a crazy man, and plays guitar well too. I have their latest 2 cds, and like em both a lot. I like how they have some songs acoustic, some electric, some fast, some slow. Very varied (hee hee)

Taking Back Sunday: My favorite emo band out there, TBS has a lot of catchy lyrics. Their lyrics rock the hizzouse. Adam Lazzara=rad. Go Tbs.

I guess I could've been more clear in my reasoning, but I didn't know what else to say.
:)
Spencer

Postby Cedahlia » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:04 am

Something Corporate: The music is absolutely amazing, and I just love listening to it and picking out the different instruments and what makes it all come together. I also love the lyrics. Altogether the music is strangely calming (especially Runaway).

Dashboard Confessional: I can't listen to music if it doesn't have good lyrics, and Dashboard Confessional has some of the best. ^^

Hmmm...that's funny. o.o; I can't think of another band that would classify as my favorite. (Guess I can't think at four in the morning. XD)
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Rachel » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:53 pm

Dashboard Confessional- they have really good lyrics and great guitar.

Lifehouse- they too have great lyrics and the guitar on "Spin" is really awesome. I have both of their cds and they both rock equally

And for number three...hmm. I don't know. There are so many bands that I really like a lot so it's hard to pick just three as my favorite.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:22 pm

Wow, only three? Well, let’s see…

1. The Beatles: Well, they’re The Beatles! There’s not really a lot anyone can say about those guys that no one has already said several times over (“they revolutionized the music business,â€
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:24 pm

Let's see

The Doors: The music they made was just mind blowing. Yes, Jim drank too much, dropped too much, and was too obsessed with sex and mysticism, but still, they generated some of the greatest music ever. L.A. Woman and Riders on the Storm just blow your mind every time.

Aerosmith: The bad boys from Boston have been doing it longer and harder than just about anyone else still out there. Dream On, Angel, Hangman Jury, all of Pump. If you only know Crying, Amazing and Crazy, you are missing out.

I think I'll tack Reliant K on at number three right now. I haven't heard a bad track from them yet, and there's nothing like good power pop to set your feet a tappin'.

I do however, reserve the right to come back with a completely different list. I listen to too much different stuff to have a pernament top 3.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby livxamlis » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:28 pm

I love all music but some of my fav are:

Switchfoot: I love their songs - they have a lot of meaning and make you think over your own life

Starfield: Best voices ever lol and heartfelt lyrics

Skillet: just love this band lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="Red"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]
If He can accept me... I don't see why others should judge me.. I am determined to succeed for him, and him alone[/font][/SIZE][/color]
----- [color="Red"]♥♥♥♡[/color] [SIZE="4"][color="Black"]Forever in love with God[/color][/SIZE] [color="Red"]♡♥♥♥[/color] -----
livxamlis

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:03 pm

Hmm...why not.

In no real order.

1.Pink Floyd- I grew up listening to this stuff. My father was a major Floyd freak...thus I got it second hand from my father and my older brother. Devision Bell is my fav album...but of course Dark side of the moon and the Wall are amazing.

2.Common Children- Found these guys on total luck...heard a song and got hooked. Hunted there cds down on ebay since there not very popular. Very much an Indy Christian rock band of the 90s.

3. Project 86- One of the greatest Christian rock bands ever...period. Andrews Political views are a turnoff...but, they remain one of my fav bands. They always seem ready to explode into mainstreme...but never do. Perhaps its for the better.

4.Evanescence-I heard Bring me to life and was hooked. Since then I have gone after any of there early stuff I can find. The Origin cd, as well as there early demos are amazing. Amy Lee's vocals are some of the best female vox I have ever heard.

5.Cold-End of the world was a fav song of mine years ago...got rehooked after Stupid girl came out. I love Scooters vox and overall enjoy pretty much everything this band puts out.

6. Rammstein-Since Du Hast I have been a Rammstein freak...hunted each of there cds down...love em all. Perhaps my German heritage influences that...or, perhaps I just love german industrial rock.

I am sure I have forgotten some gems...but these are a few bands I hold close to my heart in my music taste.
Stephen

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:16 am

I have varied music tastes, but these are my top three:

1. Payable on Death (or P.O.D) - great Christian lyrics and musics (hugely varied music styles) Great for when you are in the mood for letting out frustration or just want to have fun.

2. Jars of Clay - great meaningful lyrics and original style, to a certain extent pioneered Christian music into the mainstream. Great for when you are in a "quieter mood."

3. Evanescene - great music, love the combo of heavier rock with Amy Lee's voice (some of the songs seem to search for Christ).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:59 am

In no real order-

Linkin Park - they've got a great sound, pretty clean lyrics (I haven't heard anything really objectionable save for angst), and have a great driving feel.

Puffy AmiYumi - WAI! I love this duo because they've got a very cool sound. It's light and happy with traces of both newer rock and older rock n' roll, and they're, from what I've heard, squeaky clean.

The Beatles - It's my mom's fault these guys are here. My mom loves the Beatles and so I ended up stealing a couple of her CDs and now I love them too. Pretty clean, with a good sound, and a bit of a British-influenced (duh) sense of humor that gives their music a special flavor.

Yes, there are no Christian groups on my list. That's because I haven't found a Christian group whose music I can really get into.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Jeikobu » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:55 pm

dc Talk. Great Christian music with really good messages. They're a very talented group that's fun to listen to.
I also like Plus One on the more pop-sounding side.
Randy Travis (though he's one person and not a band) is excellent. Alot of his Christian stuff still sounds very country-related and I'm not big on that kind of music, but he has a real anointing on his music and has some very strong songs. And he has an incredible singing range too.
And I love Japanese the singers that I've heard. I haven't heard many songs by one artist in this category, it's more like one or two each, except for Matsumoto Rica, who did 4 Pocket Monsters openings and one ending. And she even voices Satoshi. Pretty impressive. I really like her. And I give a big two thumbs up to Hayashi Asuca, who did my all time favorite song (Chiisaki Mono).
Aside of these artists, I'm not much much of a band person. I don't get as into the singers/groups as I do the music. That's really what I care about more usually.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Kenchii » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:20 pm

I would have to say the Japanese-rock group X JAPAN. Then it would have to be Korn.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby redkorn » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:35 pm

Blindside-Great lyrics and the singing even better!

12Stones-Great music

Broken yoke-They are a small christain band i doubt anyone here heard of them.

Project 86- sweet music!
redkorn

Postby Zilch » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:56 pm

Herm...

Like Shatterheart, no apparent order...

Soul Embraced is probably my fav nu-metal band. Dark, yet poignant lyrics with enough hope injected into them to make a winner. I have Immune, but I'm still looking for their other stuff.

Tourniquet is what launched me into my interest in metal. I am forever grateful to Lightbringer for showing my sister these guys. They have THE coolest lyrics and song titles. I mean, how can you not love a band with a song called "Gelatinous Tubercles of Purulent Ossification"?

Demon Hunter has come back onto the scene for me, as they are one of the premier nu-metal bands out there.

I've always loved Weird Al's stuff, ever since I heard "The Saga Begins". "Albuquereque" is my choice of listening.

Zao is fast becoming one of my death metal go-to bands. I can't understand a word they'resaying, but that's okay, I don't really listen THAT much for words.

Mortification is one the least talented bands to put out 10+ albums, but I love them anyway. Their songs get stuck in my head...and people look at me funny when I just randomly scream "SCROLLS OF THE MEGILLOTH!"...dunno why...hmm...

The NESkimos are my favorite video game tribute band. Just listen to their version of Contra's base theme and you'll see why.

That's about it...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Gypsy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:03 pm

THE BENJAMIN GATE!! *weeps*

Rebecca St James

Superchic[k]

The Echoing Green
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:16 pm

a band that is definitely in my top five (if not in the number one slot) is X Japan. it's 80s rock, but it isn't dated and is masterfully composed and performed. their live performances were flawless, and that to me indicates real talent. Yoshiki is one of the greatest musicians/composers on the face of the planet.

then there's L'arc-en-ciel. just a really solid pop/rock band with a really hot-- errr, I mean -talented- lead singer. >.>;

another band that I've really started to appreciate more lately is Plastic Tree. Ryutarou writes such beautiful lyrics. the rough guitars are a nice contrast to Ryutarou's gentle, airy voice.

in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not listening to American music much lately. I'm bored with most of it, so...yeah.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:38 am

I like X Japan as well. But that's not saying much since I like 80s rock in general.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:08 am

After reading the thread's title, the first band to spring to mind was Great Big Sea, 'cause their music always cheers me up. Unfortunately, the latest GBS albums have been leaning more toward generic pop and less with the celtic kitchen band sound but their live shows are still a hoot. Got to see them live this summer at an outdoor festival and it was awesome. Other than that, in no particular order, i'd have to say the Beatles, Jars of Clay, Rolling Stones (if only their lyrics and content wasn't so iffy..), Billy Talent, CCR and...I think that's it.
the_lizardqueen

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:21 am

Having already given my top three, I think I'll offer some unsolicited oppinions of other people's picks :evil:

The Smashing Pumpkins: I don't know how I feel about them in general, but they definately did some of the best individyal songs of the '90s (and, having only thought about it, I'll have "Today" stuck in my head for hours)

The Doors: I was REALLY into these guys when I was about 15. AT teh time, I was convinced that Jim Morrison was ultra-cool and brilliant. I grew out of that pretty quick, but my appreciation of Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger's musical tallenst only grows with time.

Aerosmith: One of the few "classic" bands in existance that I actually like MORE for their newer stuff than the "clasics" (though the Crazy/Crying/whatever-the-other-one-was power ballad thing could have easilly ruined it)

Switchfoot: I didn't really like them at first, though now I can't recall just what it was I thought I had against them (ever had that happen to you?). I like 'em fine now.

Pink Floyd: Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! :lol: Cool!

Evanescence: I'm iffy about them. I admit that I have heard some pretty good album tracks, but I've hated all of their singles so far.

Jars of Clay: One of my favorite Christian acts of all time (just about a half step behind PFR in my book)

Puffy AmiYumi: As of late, probobly my favorite Japanese group. *hums the theme to their new show*

The Beatles: You go, dude! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Weird Al: Ah yes, I can still remember the first time I heard "Jurassic Park." Changed my life, it did!

NESkimos: Huh, I've never heard of them beofre. I'll have to look 'em up.

Rebecca St James: Very cool. She's alwasy goot really unique melodies in her songs.

CCR: This is kind of random, but I love listening to them whenever I'm traveling someplace. Good music for crusin' down a highway somewhere. Makes me feel almost cool...
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby greyscale42 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:02 pm

Pink Floyd - Amazing vocals, lyrics and insturumentals I could listen to just music or just the vocals all day.

Tool - nuf said

Led Zepplin - The gods of rock
greyscale42

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:35 am

Amen to that. Not in a sacriligious way though.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby That Dude » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:06 pm

Dead Poetic...I got these guys just cus I heard a tiny bit of it and it sounded kind of cool. FWBM turned out to be one of the best CD's ever. These guys have a pretty unique sound for screamo. There lyrics are just plain awesome...And they are just one of the best bands ever in my humble opinion.

MxPx...These guys basically invinted christian punk. The best pop punk band that has ever existed. Almost everyone knows the bass line for chick magnet and they get everyone hooked on punk...They are just the coolest punk band ever.

Project 86...Enough has been said on these guys already.

I also lurvinate bands such as beloved, mortal, rackets and drapes...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby lobsterbucket » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:45 pm

Sigur Ros- Incredibly powerful and emotive rock from Iceland. The music amazing, but it only gets better when you come across the translated lyrics.

Death Cab For Cutie- same lead singer as The Postal Service. Incredible lyrics that make you just go think think or go "awwww"

Noise Ratchet- A great fresh way to praise God. It's just a shame that they are breaking up real soon. I think i missed their last show too... they are on the other side of the country.
lobsterbucket

Return to Jam Session