Imadoki. . .

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Imadoki. . .

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Okay. So I admit it. I cracked.

When browsing through the seeming endless sea of manga that does not appeal to me (for reasons that any manga reader will sympathize with. . .), my fingers stumbled across Imadoki.

Could. Not. Resist. Must. Read. Cuteness.

I started reading Alice the 19th, but I coudln't get past that shower/nude battle sequence. It just disguisted me. So I dropped Alice. And now, I lie in the grip of yet another Yuu Watase manga.

I thought I'd heard that Imadoki was a little milder than many of Yuu's other mangas. But I want to know for sure. If this manga ends in some mindless nude sequence I'm not going to go any further with it. So, does anybody know anything?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Mave » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:54 pm

I've read the whole series, which isn't that long...spanning 1-4 or 5 volumes, which is too bad since it was one of my fav. series by Watase Yuu. Once again I have to dig into the depths of my memory. ^^;;

I remember Imadoki being the most popular-enough clean manga by Watase Yuu in my records. I don't recall any scenes of Tanpopo (the female protagonist) nude or doing anything inappropriate with her love interest. I'm pretty sure about the latter because I applaud that couple when everything was over. The romance between them was very sweet and clean. Overall, it was an comical entertaining series and this is the first time I actually liked the female protagonist very much, as compared to FY, Ayashi no Ceres and even Alice 19th.

There was only one thing that bugged me.
[spoiler] One of her high school friends became pregnant and had a child out of wedlock. [/spoiler]

Hope this helps. ^^
Mave

Postby Kireihana » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:52 am

Yay! I was intrested in Imadoki too, but after reading (up to vol. 5) of Ceres I was hesitant. Thanks Mave for the info.
Kireihana

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:54 pm

Interesting ... yes, thank you Mave for the info, and thanks, Mangafanatic (wait a sec ... didn't you get a nickname?!) for bringing it up. I'm just about to head to Borders, and I'd rather have something particular in mind to look for rather than just staring at the shelves and scooting back and forth on the ladders.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:53 pm

Yes, I did get a nick name.

So why are you still referring to me by my wordy username?! :grin:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:57 am

I would also recommend Imadoki. I read the traslations for it up to about volume four (that was all the place had) and I don't remember any really questionable things. In fact, I liked it a lot, but the group that was scanlating it dropped it due to it being liscensed (and, 8 months later, it comes out, what do yah know). Viz is really slow, that's all I'm saying. But at least they're there :)
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby RoyalWing » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:31 pm

Imadoki is great. I'm not sure when it comes out for english for you, but when it does, you should buy! I have it and it's one of my favourites!

I think Koki Kougyo is funny. Tampopo must be a very awkward name to have thought!

(looks at own avatar...) that is from the first comic book. ^v^
RoyalWing

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:51 am

I just read the first two volumes, and TANPOPO IS SO CUTE!!!

I like this series. There are only a few things I was a little "Come on, why'd you have to stick that in there!?" about.

They are as follows:

[spoiler= Imadoki. I know these aren't really spoilers but they do give away a few things]
1. Towards the beginning of the first volume, Tanpopo cut her thigh and Koki binds it with a handkerchief. Later when in front of a bunch of students, he acts as if he doesn't know her so, in an attempt to jog his memory, he lifts the hem of her skirt and points at the bandage he put on. Unfortuneately, she gets a little zealous, and we not only see her bandage but a little of her underwear as well. *Osaka is not amused*

2. Later on in volume two, Tanpopo stays out in the rain and comes down with a fever. She passes out and Tim is obligued to carry her home. Now, being the quick thinking fellow that he is, he realizes that is simply isn't healthy for a sick girl to be in wet clothings. So what's a guy to do but change her out of her wet clothes*sarcasm sarcasm*? We don't see this happen (atleast, I don't think we do), but it was still unfortuneate.

3. In the second volume, there is a bad girl who Tanpopo tries to befriend. This girl quite clearly has no interest in having a relationship with Tanpopo for many reason-- on of which is that Tanpopo is a virgin, a fact which she repeatedly taunts. Later, the bad girl makes references to playing with guys and "going clubbing and to hotel rooms". Later, one of the characters in discovered to be pregnant, and *surpirse* she's not married. The guy who is the father of the baby makes a phone call to his father and sheepishly says something to the effect of "I did it again." (Insinuating this isn't the first girl he's gotten pregnant)

4. A little later, Tanpopo mets the bad girl and her gang in the hall way of a night club and the mean chick tells her gang something along the lines of "She's here because she doesn't want to be a virgin anymore." One of them tries to rip off Tanpopo's shirt, but he's interrupted.
[/spoiler]

Well, that's all I can think of right now. If anybody wants to add anything-- feel free. Overall, I like this series alot. Tanpopo is nice to everyone, from the spiteful prep to the school's phsychotic stalker. If you can handle the things I mentioned above, you shuld read the first two volumes of this series. Very sweet.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:39 pm

What exactly is it about? Like story line? Sounds ok to me so far . . . ^^'
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:18 pm

You have to admit, thought Mangafanatic, it's still a lot better than Watase's other stuff, although I do like Alice 19th. (Sorry 'bout the wordy name, dear. Haven't heard your nickname.)

Tanpopo is cool. ^_^ She's got awesome determination. Have to admire that about her.

Caved and bought both volumes of Imadoki myself...heh heh...^__^

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:56 pm

Spirit_Wolf8356 wrote:You have to admit, thought Mangafanatic, it's still a lot better than Watase's other stuff, although I do like Alice 19th. (Sorry 'bout the wordy name, dear. Haven't heard your nickname.)

Tanpopo is cool. ^_^ She's got awesome determination. Have to admire that about her.

Caved and bought both volumes of Imadoki myself...heh heh...^__^

Indeed, I would totally agree that Imadoki is better than Yuu Watase's previous work, IMHO. Once I finish the series, I might buy it.

In answer to your question, Kisa, Imadoki is the story of a girl named Tanpopo who tranfers to a new school (a ultra elite school full of stuck up rich kids). When she arrives, she mets Koki who is planting flowers. In her first encounter, he seems atleast somewhat friendly, but, later when around other rich students, he treats Tanpopo like a stranger. Confused by his sudden change in temperments, Tanpopo resolves that she will be his friend --- wether he likes it or not.

Shortly after, Tanpopo volunteers herself for a planting committee where she grows more relationships than flowers. Really this whole manga seems to be about accepting and loving imposible people.

You should check it out or atleast the first two volumes of it. I still reserve my judgment for the series until I've read all of it.

Mangafanatic

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:40 pm

I LOVE THIS SERIES! I am still reading the second volume, but the protagonist alone, being better than any other Yuu Watase protagonist as Mave mentioned, makes me like it. ^__^ Tanpopo (sp?) is so sweet, positve and not a dork who whines all the time. It's so refreshing. It's unfortunate the main guy looks like Tamahome; however, he doesn't seem as brooding and irrationally angry at everything like some of her other male leads - another good reason to like this.

Hey, Mangafanatic you never gave us your nickname. Isn't it Mangafan or Osaka. I just call you the LOTR gal. -__- hehe XDXD

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:09 pm

true_noir_chloe wrote:Hey, Mangafanatic you never gave us your nickname. Isn't it Mangafan or Osaka. I just call you the LOTR gal. -__- hehe XDXD

Officially, it's Osaka. Unofficially, I also go by Mangafan, ect.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:11 pm

OK! I will check out the first two volumes! Sounds good! Hopefully Watase won't start adding in her signature nudity iin theis one . . .
Thanks for the review Osaka! ^^
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:58 am

OOOO I got the first two yesterday! I like it alot!
Her fox Poplar is sooo cute! *hugs him*
Kisa

Postby Mave » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:32 am

Don't worry, Chloe, Kouki looks like Tamahome but by the end of the series, I bet you're gonna be respecting and liking him.

Do expect a little bit of typical love drama in the middle of the series (ex. Girl likes boy, boy likes girl, another girl likes boy, another boy likes girl etc). But it's not frustrating like the love triangles in the other Watase Yuu works. The characters in this series have the maturity to resolve them and move on in life. That makes this manga title very special (to me).
Mave

Postby LightUpTheDark » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:06 am

Being a fan of Watase-san's art work and her snappy dialog I've read Imadoki as well. The only think I think is over the top is the... lunatic behavior of the characters. They're crazy...lol. But that's probably why I like it ;)

Actually, I'm a fan of her art work...clean artwork, mind you, because mine's very close to her's in style...though my stories are better, since they have a christian message, lol.

"Saotome, I will never forgive you! You stole my bread! You lousy theif!"-Ryoga, Ranma 1/2

Preach the Gospel at all time. If necessary, use words.

Me blog...
LightUpTheDark

Postby Kisa » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:12 pm

I love this series so far! Watase has doen it again in creating a very nice story! I love her art too! Now just keep out the nudity please Watase! ^^'I really like the storyline and how it is going too . . . I think Kouki looks more like Kyo though....
Kisa

Postby RoyalWing » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:29 pm

I think you just like Kyô alot! ^-^

I think Koki Kougyo is a funny, awkward character. He is always in the funniest parts. I liked it when he said to Tampopo: "You have to show attention to the flower..." and she looks at him as if he has two noses. Then he shows how to love the flower, putting his hands and petting it to love it, :lol:!
RoyalWing

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:35 pm

Yeah, that was great! He's so funny. Like-- the spade of death!!!

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:14 pm

LOL yes! I love that part when he is always using his scoop! HAHAHA
hey . . . what's so wrong with liking all the Kyo characters? >_< lol
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:27 pm

I have no objections. I mean, Yuu writes likable character, and they all just happen to look exactly the same. It's not our fault that she can't come up with some original character design. ;)

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:30 am

LOL ^__^'
I was also referring to how I like a couple of Kyo's . . . Kyo in Fruits Basket and Kyo in Alice, lol. Ahhhh so many bishies >_<
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:08 am

KisaTohru wrote:LOL ^__^'
I was also referring to how I like a couple of Kyo's . . . Kyo in Fruits Basket and Kyo in Alice, lol. Ahhhh so many bishies >_<

Hehehe, well, I agree with that too! Somebody should make a Kyo banner that had a medley of Kyo pictures. No matter what manga they're from.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:26 pm

OOOOO Kyo banner . . . *wanders off with idea*
Wait, how many different Kyos are there?!
Kisa

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:21 pm

Aoi is completely nuts though! *grabs him* I like the nutsy boys. :sweat:

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Kisa » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:24 pm

Hehe go Flippy! I don't like that snobby girl at all! (cant remember name) what's her deal, she will never marry Kouki anyway!
Poplar is soooo cute too^^ I want a pet fox, but they have parasites that they are born with that transfer to humans and hurt us ..... so nevermind.... maybe a plushie then? ^^'
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:58 pm

Yeah, he's uber adorable.

I kind like the snobby girl. She's so forward that I can't help but find her hillarious!

Mangafanatic

Postby Mave » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:28 pm

I don't think there's any character that I dislike except for

[spoiler] Kouki's annoying, clingy, spoiled fiancee, Erika >_< That girl needs to have a backbone and stop being so whiny. Sheesh. [/spoiler]

Kouki seems like the brooding type but he lightens up and become really cool when he learns to stand up for his own choices in life.

Tanpopo is the sweetest and kindest girl. I cannot help liking her so much. She's a very strong girl and always thinks of others.

Poplar is one of the cutest critters I've ever seen. XD

I didn't like Tsuki at first but she becomes so funny with her obsession in marrying Kouki and gaining his property haha.

Aoi is a crazy guy but the crazy cool type. XD

When I think about it, I generally like all the characters except for Kouki's parents and the "spoiler" person.
Mave

Postby Kisa » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:22 am

Yea, I like Tanpopo the best and Poplar, but Kouki really grows with his new friends and Aoi is just so darn crazy its cute ^^
Tsuki, I dunno, obsessive girls like that that are so mean just make me mad, especially cause shes so mean to poor Tanpopo....
Spoiler person, yea I don't like them either..... so clingy and helpless, bleh.... ><
Kisa

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews