Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Kireihana » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:30 pm

Wah I haven't been to CAA in a while. :waah!: I blame it on school, soccer, and excessive homework. ^^;

So. I guess me being a girl I have no desire to draw scantily clad women. Or I mean if I do draw one, I don't have that frame of mind; in fact I don't really think much at all when I'm drawing except for the expressions I'm trying to bring out in the character. :sweat: But I still get uncomfortable when I see other pictures of women or girls in lingerie, etc., because it's kind of like myself feeling embarassed for them.

On the flip side, sometimes I draw shirtless bishies. So I guess it can go both ways. :lol:

Anyway I haven't posted art in a while, so here's the current pic I'm working on. I just started it today with Painter 8. I'm really liking all the cool tools, but because of school I haven't gotten much of an opportunity to practice... I've recently been watching Naruto and felt inspired to draw this fanart. Naruto and Hinata make a cute couple, as has already been discused on about 13,284 threads :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kireihana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:28 pm

Make it 13,285...

I'm not a huge fan of the couple, but I like the picture.
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:15 pm

[quote="Kireihana"]Wah I haven't been to CAA in a while. :waah!: I blame it on school, soccer, and excessive homework. ^^]

I don't really post in this thread often, and I have nothing to blame on! I am just... I don't like showing my drawings alot... ^-^;; I guess I am very shy about showing my work to others! (I am so happy that you aren't... Your drawing is so well!!)

When I draw, I guess I am like you, the most important thing is the feeling of the characters. "How does the picture make me feel?" I think it's most important!

Women in lingerie: I feel the same way, kind of embarassed... But I don't draw the shirtless like you do, I am just very awkward with that. But that is just me! I am awkward whenever I see shirtless! TT o TT So... I just don't draw that stuff... I find it much more fun to come up with costume design any how! But that must be good practice on anatomy though!

I like the picture! you draw so great~ ^v^ I don't know who the girl is because I don't follow the Naruto, but I think he looks cute! :P
RoyalWing

Postby Kireihana » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:41 pm

Lol, well in retrospect I haven't drawn shirtless guys since the end of last school year, which was for a project on the Trojan war. I did get a lot of anatomy practice from that.

But I like practicing the human anatomy because it makes all my pictures look better, no matter what they're wearing. I don't draw in... "suggestive" poses though... o.0
Kireihana

Postby Mave » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:22 am

Since we're in the topic of human anatomy and shirtless bishies, guess I'll drop a fanart of a shirtless Hiei - no fanservice intended. I think I rarely draw any bishies in a 'suggestive' pose. Do you mean something like lying on a bed or posing on the beach?

I usually use YYH characters as human anatomy drawing practise since they're pretty muscular. The pose Hiei is in was inspired from an official piece I saw long time ago and I must confess abdomen abs bother me. LOL

Have you ever drawn something and run out of paper? Well, this fanart is originally 3 pages long (see other attachments). I used tape to stick all 3 pages together...haha scanning/PShoping them was another challenge altogether.

Kireihana, I think you did an excellent job with that NarutoxHinata fanart. I do like that coupling since it works out well with SakuraxSasuke (hehehe).

Oh yeah, I never draw women in lingerie! eeewwww >_<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mave

Postby Kireihana » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:33 pm

Lol, I usually have the opposite problem in that I draw too small, and then I have all this extra blank space XD

My what a lot of pens/pencils/markers you have! Now that my computer is in my room, all my clutter has shifted to my dresser, though. Usually you can't see the surface of my desk.

I love the pictures! Especially Kurama! I've always admired your talent in drawing muscles. ^_^
Kireihana

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:18 pm

Nice artwork. I find the three page thing quite funny.

This is somewhat off topic, but it has to do with space. When I'm outlining for one of my epic-length stories I like to have everything on a few sheets of paper (I always do it by hand). Hence, my writing is very small. About half the size of 12 pt font. It gets me strange looks, but on the plus side people don't read and steal my ideas.
uc pseudonym

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:10 pm

UC wrote:
This is somewhat off topic, but it has to do with space. When I'm outlining for one of my epic-length stories I like to have everything on a few sheets of paper (I always do it by hand). Hence, my writing is very small. About half the size of 12 pt font. It gets me strange looks, but on the plus side people don't read and steal my ideas.

UC, how do you write so small? Ouch, I would have killer hand cramps. I long hand all my writing first, as well, but it is more like 14 font. Thus, I use many legal pads when I write, and have them in folders.

Anyways, Mave those are great, as always. Yes, I know - what are you doing here, Chloe? 0_o

I just thought I'd visit for once. XDXD hehe

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:20 am

true_noir_chloe wrote:UC, how do you write so small? Ouch, I would have killer hand cramps. I long hand all my writing first, as well, but it is more like 14 font. Thus, I use many legal pads when I write, and have them in folders.

Very sharpened pencils. Mechanical pencils would help, but I can't really afford them.

I couldn't possibly write everything by hand the first time. I can't write very fast (or at least nothing compared to what I type) and that would take forever. Writing first drafts by hand would give me a hand cramp.
uc pseudonym

New Topic: Secular responses to your works

Postby Mave » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:27 am

Perhaps Ann and some of you, are already familiar with this type of response?

"You have an amazing talent, but a [rotten] christian mind full of crap, i hope someday you realize your giving up your amazing abilities to a god that doesnt even exist..." - tag in my website

@_@;;;;; I suppose I can't please everyone. Maybe I should place some kind of warning: "Beware, Christian values imbedded in the following comics, pls avoid if you're offended by this." Should I? ;)
Mave

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:23 pm

*gives Mave a hug* Yeah, I get that too often. Just ignore them, if we supposingly serve a God that doesn't exist than no reason for that person to get worked up about it ;P (see the first question of my FAQ, I had bad experiences with people like that--who were my friends >_<)

But yeah, I personally would have put in the "warning" if I had a splash page XD Though I list Psychoteers on secular listing pretty clearly that there's Christian content without pulling punches and for them to enter at their own risk.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:31 pm

Mave wrote:Perhaps Ann and some of you, are already familiar with this type of response?

"You have an amazing talent, but a [rotten] christian mind full of crap, i hope someday you realize your giving up your amazing abilities to a god that doesnt even exist..." - tag in my website

I've seen a terrible lot of that. Fortunately, I'm not an artist so it's directed elsewhere (or perhaps unfortunately, as I'd rather have it directed at me than someone else).

[quote="Mave"]@_@]

I'd suggest putting up something in a slightly different vein, ie

WARNING: The following <whatever> contains Christian values and may not be appropriate for certain individuals.

But that's just me. I like being tongue in cheek.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lochaber Axe » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:36 pm

In all respects, that is all we can do besides toning down the messages and thats like putting a delicious chocolate cake under the faucet. We will be ridiculed, even by other christians. As long as you fully know it is His will than nothing else matters.
Lochaber Axe

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:43 pm

I've seen Psycho Ann's warning, and I think she has one of the best disclaimers I've seen. ^__^ hehe

Sorry, Mave, :hug: that you had to see a comment like that. I should tell you my stories of Christian publishing houses. :forehead:

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:33 am

Go ahead; I'm curious. You had similar problems with Christian publishing houses?
uc pseudonym

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:09 am

You'll be surprised what some of these publishers would think about some of the content in Christian comics. I haven't heard any problems about Christian manga in particular though.
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:43 am

Man, seems like we are called to get trashed from both ends: Christian and secular.

Sure reminds me of my prefectorial years in high school; everyone hated us. We're just trying to contribute to the school but both students and teachers always had something against us.

Sorry for the OTness. Just thought it's interesting that we have to be prepared to get trashed by our own Christian brothers and sisters.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:46 am

I don't really think this is that off topic. It's relating to christian manga artists and writers, and we're uniting. Seems acceptable to me.

Psycho Ann wrote:You'll be surprised what some of these publishers would think about some of the content in Christian comics. I haven't heard any problems about Christian manga in particular though.

Ah; I had assumed that there were no Christian comic publishing houses, and hence was thinking of literature. Yes, I can certainly see how they might draw issue with many Christian comics.
uc pseudonym

Postby true_noir_chloe » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:00 pm

UC wrote: Go ahead]Christian[/i] publishing houses?

I find the slightest bit of abrasion in how you asked this, as if it was a dare. I'm not really sure why. 0_o Perhaps, I'm just misreading you again.

Anyways, if you'd like to know I'll pm you. Keep in mind; this is regarding novels for Christian publication back in 1994 - 96. Acceptance of manuscripts have changed greatly in the last eight or so years. And, that is because markets have changed. I really doubt "The Oath," would have been published in 1995, whereas, today it would be. In fact, I halfheartedly made that comment on Christian publishing houses, so I would happily send one a proposal today, and in fact probably will start making the rounds once again within the next week to six months, depending on how I feel and how committed I feel. *haha*

It's funny, on a side note; this morning because of this I took out my old file of rejection letters and realized they really weren't as bad as I had thought they were back in the 90s. And, I realize I should have stuck with sending out proposals and not have given up so easily after a few. After all, stick-to-ittiveness gets you published, not your ability. Everyone who can write an entire novel, or three, must have some ability, right? *hehe*

Okay, I'll stop ranting now.:rant: :sweat:

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:07 pm

Oooh yeah, you get the "what is this crap!?" from the secular people, and the "what is this unmentionable thing!?" from the brothers and sisters. It's only natural, I've never seen nor heard any effort that doesn't get flak from BOTH sides.

I'm pretty used to it right now, you should see the threads dedicated to trashing Psychoteers, Mave ;) And last I checked there's 3 of them on 3 different forums. One which I really, really, will never visit again for reasons I won't state here unless you PM me. It's really something I don't want to share here since it might make some of you nervous for your characters. (If you've been to Anime Angels maybe you heard of this already)

But yeah, be ready to recieve all kinds of trash from around. Especially if you're doing manga which most people still can't seem to get that it can be 'converted' by Christians. Be encouraged that you're not alone and that most importantly God is the only audience you should be worried about ;)

Psycho Ann

Postby Lochaber Axe » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:20 pm

*Nods head* Yes, yes I will am in full favor of that last post Ann (may I call you that?). I haven't tried to publish anything, but I can already hear the reprecussions.

Oh and about Christian comic publisher... *presses fingertips together nervously* I have plans on opening my own one day.
Lochaber Axe

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:19 pm

At the moment I've been working on accepting that a lot of people won't like anything I make (I mean smart people with opinions). Generally my strategy for dealing with it makes me thick skinned but pretty apathetic and uncaring about everything.

true_noir_chloe wrote:I find the slightest bit of abrasion in how you asked this, as if it was a dare. I'm not really sure why. 0_o Perhaps, I'm just misreading you again.

I'm sorry. I was merely surprised, because I didn't expect there to be many problems of this sort from Christian publishing houses (who I have no real experience with). So I was very curious as to what your experiences were. You explained it well enough.
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:51 pm

This is interesting me. Mave and Psycho Ann, you have had lots of flames on your comics?! I thought just a few for Psycho Ann, and not any for Mave. But... so... for example, if I make a comic, and it has some christian things in it (but not the whole storyline based on it. just, a character is christian or something like that) will I get bombarded with emails about how they don't like it? And if the whole storyline is not based around christian, will people who are christian not like it?? It makes things complicated. I wish others could just be more respectful of different beliefs!
RoyalWing

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:22 pm

Royalwing, I wouldn't worry about it ^^ And no, you won't get bombarded by e-mails (I did recieve some but not "bombarded") and for the most part come out unscathed except for one or two trolls.

As for me personally, most come from people bashing it on their own forums, blogs, etc which they have a right too and I don't bother them (should see the one on Go-Gaia, lol, there are a lot of Christians denouncing me as their own there. Really amusing XD). Then there are the ones that e-mail me personally with one-liners like "jseus sux lololololooolollol!11!" or "NAZI!" (all quickly deleted)--which are all good for a laugh. Then there are the guestbook trolls which annoy me the most.

Flak from brothers and sister are really just helpful sparks rather than flames, I personally would say. Some don't agree with themes I put in my comics, or the way I present them, but I do realize they're wanting the best and it really keeps me in line ^^ And at the very least don't trash talk XD

So just don't think about the trouble you're going to recieve from it, but just your personal motivations and goals. If it's an effort to do something for God, focus on that. :D :D

Locahaber, of course you can call me that, it is my name after all XD And 'psycho' is hard to type for the most part ahahahah XD That's great news! Christian comic publishers are for the most part super paranoid and it's understandable why. Then there's the fact that quality Christian comics are a minority....

Psycho Ann

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:02 am

Paranoid?! I am not... err... uh... <_< >_> *runs finger along his battle axe's edge absentmindedly* Yes, I am not paranoid.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Chapel » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:28 am

Wow look waht I have missed. *kicks self for not being able to more fully participate in this conversation. * Anyway while most of you have strong christian undertones in ur comics or out front christian values. I play a dangerous line on mine. My fan base is very wide(not meaning large yet) and contains all faiths and religions from what I have seen so far. I have not fully delt with issues of being bashed for what I believe because I ussually really respect others and make sure to get their reasoning and listen to their beliefs. If I have gotten a crazy I hate you because you love God. Then I would look into it. Ussually its just someone who wants to scream.

Really my comic has all kinds of things in it that have gotten be ripped from the christians for content and has gotten me plenty of questions about things from unbelievers you'll find in my forums talks of God and beliefs. Anymore people fear offending others, so manytimes they steer clear of even bring up the topics. But in my comic i deal with Christians who drink, smaoke, curse and or other things, and I'll deal with the affect that has on the unbelievers around them. But I will also show Chrisitans in both good and bad, I don't candy coat anything

The christians in my comic are for the most part relaxed in how they view wrongs. Like most of them drink, however only a few actually get drunk, Curse words are used when one would expect them to be. From both Christian and Non. I feel off a church once and landed on my back... I said the S word and u know what instead of helping me my friends were thrown back that I had actually cussed. I had to explain to them that I do use those words in situation warrents. The reason they never hear me cuss is because very very rarely does the situation warrent such a responce and if such a situation arises no matter what word we use the effect is in our minds the same. So in my comic characters that are Christian say things when situation warrents the non- christians will cuss more than them. check out my live journal topic on this here

http://saintpepsi.deviantart.com/journal/3261526/

But in a sense I think christians in general and me and Mave have talked at length on this are just either scared to show a real face to themselves and when they fall they are scorned for it. When I fall I understand that it happens and I get on with my life. If people call me on it I explain that it happens and that it is a hard life to lead but it is filled with benifits which ussually leads to discussing those benifits.

In fact and I'm not advocating sin but when we fall we open a window to those unsaved who we can then use our experiance to connect to them on a new level. God uses all our experiances and be them good or bad they will always be useful in the long run. Sorry I don't mean to rant. You can all pick this apart now.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:30 am

Lochaber Axe wrote:Paranoid?! I am not... err... uh... <_< >_> *runs finger along his battle axe's edge absentmindedly* Yes, I am not paranoid.

Oh hey thanks a bundle for joining my forum i look forward to seeing your comments on there. Much love to ya

chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:24 pm

[quote="Mave"]Sure reminds me of my prefectorial years in high school]
Hmm, well I come from an area where the first questions people ask you are "Where are you from? What church do you go to?" So we don't really have that problem here. When I travel to other places, it's a real culture shock.
Kireihana

Postby RoyalWing » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:51 pm

Here it's kind of inbetween... At school when you mention God, people say "Yeah..." or church most say "yeah..." too or "I don't go to church..." when you mention Jesus people look at you funny and say nothing or say "Yeah whatever... ANYWAY.."

Uh, off topic! Sorry! Thank you Psycho Ann and Chapel for your reply. ^-^
RoyalWing

Postby b0redx3 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:20 pm

Psycho Ann wrote:Oooh yeah, you get the "what is this crap!?" from the secular people, and the "what is this unmentionable thing!?" from the brothers and sisters. It's only natural, I've never seen nor heard any effort that doesn't get flak from BOTH sides.

I'm pretty used to it right now, you should see the threads dedicated to trashing Psychoteers, Mave ]Be encouraged that you're not alone and that most importantly God is the only audience you should be worried about ;)[/b]

That is a great encouragement already~!

When i was reading this 'topic', i was surprised that both sides would do mainly the same thing. But thinking it thru, it's true. Kinda sad come to think of it. The artist is trying to glorify the Lord, but the fellow brothers and sisters can not see that fact. They view it as a disgrace.. or something. I guess no one can really escape judging one another...
"Hopeless romantics are the idealists, the sentimental dreamers, the imaginative, and the fanciful. They give the world its once-upon-a-times and happily-ever-afters. Hopeless romantics may have their feet on the ground, but their souls fly somewhere over the rainbow."
b0redx3

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews