What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Cat96 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:45 pm

Kimi no Todoke season 2 episode 5 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Looks like things will be getting interesting.

Can't wait for Yona of the Dawn episode 13 to be available for free viewers. Same with Kamisama Kiss.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Chrome Shelled Regios episode 17.
Valvrave the Liberator episode 20.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Cat96 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Finished Kimi Ni Todoke SPOILER: Highlight text to read: To be honest, I was okay with the fact that there was no kiss. I saw people in the comments on Hulu complaining about it, but I can't bring myself to complain. it took Sawako and Kazeheya (can't spell to save my life) so long just to get to the point of dating that I was satisfied in the end because at least they realized and understood their feelings for each other. Also love how Ryu casually confessed his feelings for Chizru. :lol: Man, talk about being blunt. xD I also liked how Kurmi acknowledged Sawako and told her that she appreciated her existence. That scene was particularly touching. I admit, I didn't like it much at first. I found the characters annoying for some odd reason (don't ask me, I really don't understand myself sometimes). Then months later I rewatched it and saw it from a different perspective and got hooked (I started to actually like the main characters). Overall I really enjoyed this anime series. I liked how the show focused on Sawako and her building friendships first instead of being all romance. The buildup to the romantic part of the series was well done, and I liked the character development to that point. Another aspect of the series that I greatly appreciated was the lack of problematic content SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Heck, there was barely, if any, kissing. It helped to keep the atmosphere of the series sweet and innocent.

I read on another content review site that Blue Spring Ride is similar to Kimi Ni Todoke in the fact that the romance isn't the main focus in the beginning. Maybe that may be the next anime for me.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:16 am

Cat96 wrote:I read on another content review site that Blue Spring Ride is similar to Kimi Ni Todoke in the fact that the romance isn't the main focus in the beginning. Maybe that may be the next anime for me.

Yes and no. I absolutely adore the show, but the romance aspect is definitely a lot stronger than in Kimi Ni Todoke.

Just finished Little Busters and Refrain. You know, Key has taken me to the point of heartbreak so many times, but this show finally made me tear up a lot. I just couldn't take that final baseball match (as ironic as it sounds - your typical match wouldn't have this much drama). When Kyousuke had it, I had it as well. It's too much when a guy like him has had enough and you had had enough of the emotions two episodes ago. Jun Maeda is great, and I look forward to finishing Air and Kanon. Also, Charlotte is around the corner. That will be fun! For some reason, I'm on the drama train right now and don't want to get off. ;)
ForeverInspired

Postby Cat96 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:56 am

ForeverInspired wrote:
Cat96 wrote:I read on another content review site that Blue Spring Ride is similar to Kimi Ni Todoke in the fact that the romance isn't the main focus in the beginning. Maybe that may be the next anime for me.

Yes and no. I absolutely adore the show, but the romance aspect is definitely a lot stronger than in Kimi Ni Todoke.

As long as it is a decent show with good characters then I'll watch it. As long as a series is clean and has decent characters, I could care less about the amount of romance in a series. I just read that it wasn't the entire focus of the series (that reviewer does pretty good reviews). Guess I'll watch and find out. :P I need a break from some dark anime like Madoka Magica, that series freaking scared me at times.
Cat96

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Cat96 wrote:
ForeverInspired wrote:

As long as it is a decent show with good characters then I'll watch it. As long as a series is clean and has decent characters, I could care less about the amount of romance in a series. I just read that it wasn't the entire focus of the series (that reviewer does pretty good reviews). Guess I'll watch and find out. :P I need a break from some dark anime like Madoka Magica, that series freaking scared me at times.

Then you should love the series. It's very good and has great characters. It definitely is not a dark show, and I totally get wanting to go with something a bit happier after Madoka. :)
ForeverInspired

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Chrome Shelled Regios episode 21--Love the epic fight between Layfon and Haia. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Really hope Haia's not dead. Things didn't look too good for him at the end of the fight though. :( Nina's been possessed by one of the "fallen ones". Hope all that is resolved by the end of the show, being that I've heard there isn't really a conclusive ending.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby skreyola » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:51 pm

K-On!! Ep. 12: Pretty cool episode. Not real crazy about this show, but it's okay. I think the song Fluffy Time might be intended as an English pun on 4/4 meter. I noticed the similarity in sound tonight as they were singing that line over and over.
Also, is Episode 13 licensed anywhere for US streaming? Hulu (where I've been watching the show) doesn't have the episode, but both MAL and HB list the season as having 13, not as having 12 and a special.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 13
Oh new opening... I really liked the other though, man.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I don't remember the battle being this epic in the manga, then again it's been a while. And with animation they can spice it up a bit more

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 15

Kamisama Hajimemashita season 2 episode 2

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Finished Emma: A Victorian Romance (seasons 1 and 2). I had randomly heard about it and was intrigued by how people said one of the pros was its historical accuracy. As a history nut, as I like to call myself, I made this show top priority. I started on Saturday and finished it today... during exam week. D: At least my exams yesterday and today weren't that hard (I'm feeling good about history and geography, they were easy because I did study for them).

Anyway, I enjoyed this series. My favorite character had to have been Emma's first mistress (I forget how to spell her name). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was so touched when she gave Emma her necklace. She was such a kind lady. . I also liked the main cast as well. The only one I disliked was Vivi.

Yona of the Dawn episode 13. Finally the episode is available for free users. I was so psyched for this episode, now I must wait another week. D: I loved this episode. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I loved how Yona didn't look scared when the Blue Dragon was pointing a sword at her. Lets hope Hak and Kija don't find out about that. xD Man, they'd be so mad. Also, it seems like Hak liiiiikes Yona (can't resist doing the Happy joke).
Cat96

Postby skreyola » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:09 pm

@Cat96: Where did you find Emma? My library had the first two volumes of the manga, so I've become interested in the story, but I haven't run across any more of it, but I'd be interested in seeing an anime of it.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Cat96 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 pm

skreyola wrote:@Cat96: Where did you find Emma? My library had the first two volumes of the manga, so I've become interested in the story, but I haven't run across any more of it, but I'd be interested in seeing an anime of it.

I know for sure that both seasons are on Hulu.
Cat96

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 14
I want to smack the villagers SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I know it's mean to be the complete opposite of the White Dragon village and it just shows how people are fearful of what they don't understand. And it's true that untrained the eyes can kill someone but really they mistreat the Blue Dragon! But Hak rushing to hug Yona is so gooood! PICK UP ON HIS FEELINGS, YONA! HAK! SAY SOMETHING! Blue Dragon is so cute, so shy and socially awkward! I love how everyone flips out when he calls Yona simply by her name rather than "Princess". Yesss for Sinha!

CinniScrib

Postby Xeno » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Need to get this finished finally, I've been trying to watch it for about 5 or 6 years now. I'm also watching Gurren Lagaan.
Xeno

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Finished Chrome Shelled Regios--Loved it! There was a great balance of comedy, drama, and action which made nearly every episode really enjoyable. I loved nearly all the characters. They weren't really the most unique, but they had great chemistry; and, though the show did primarily focus Layfon, the other characters got time and decent development. That being said, I think Layfon did kinda hog allot of time that could have been used on developing other characters further, but they all got a decent amount of time.

As much as I love the setting and allot of the concepts in this show, they definitely could have used more development, and sometimes felt like they were just introducing plot devices to keep the story going. Allot of the concepts felt original (which is a good thing), but I think another season would've been great so that The Fallen Ones, Ignacious (or whoever the guys in the dog masks were always going on about), and the Heaven's Blades would have been expanded on more. I mean, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: most of the Heaven's Blades didn't show up until the last few episodes, which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't on the intro sequence for the whole show.

I'd give it a 9/10 because I enjoyed it so much. If I were to give it a more critical rating, it would probably be quite a bit lower, but I personally loved it. I have to throw in that the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: fight between Layfon and Savalis in the last episode ended very anti-climatically. It started off feeling like it was gonna be similar to the final fight in Last Airbender, but then Layfon got some super sword and sent Savalis flying off into the distance and the fight was over...yeah, that was pretty disappointing; but the very end with Layfon writing the letter to Leerin was nice.

Favorite characters: Sharnid Elipton, Nina Antalk, Naruki Gelni, Haia Salinban Laia

Valvrave the Liberator episode 22--Great episode! Stuff happened! But I don't feel like writing about it after writing all that above. So, I'll leave it at that. Only two more episodes to go!

Thunderscream872

Postby skreyola » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Cat96 wrote:
skreyola wrote:@Cat96: Where did you find Emma? My library had the first two volumes of the manga, so I've become interested in the story, but I haven't run across any more of it, but I'd be interested in seeing an anime of it.

Oh. Cool. Added to my queue. :)

Watched Shirobako 13 - LOVE this show! So much fun to watch, and so cool to learn about the things that go into making an anime. I hope the audition goes well. Regarding 3AGS, I'd kind of prefer a BOFC ending, if there's any chance at all that future volumes will also be adapted.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:23 am

Finally finished Season 1 of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, and am quite satisfied with my purchase. The only thing I'm NOT satisfied with is that ugly "SAVE Edition" on the cover. I wish Funimation would stop releasing them that way, and just release them normally for a reduced price after a certain period of time.

Glancing at the reviews for Season 2 and the OVAs make me worried that this series will be yet another case of me needing to read the manga to get the whole story, though. Not that I didn't see this coming... (¯―¯٥)

Now I don't know what all to watch next, and have lots to choose from! This is a wonderful "problem" to have! Maybe I'll finally pop in that One Piece Film Z and continue the anime. Maybe I'll watch 幸せのパン or Kids on the Slope! Maybe I'll buy two more Blu-ray players and watch them all at the same time?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Non Non Biyori Ep. 4 - What is this profound sadness in my silly slice-of-life show? (both in my heart and on the screen)
Still, I think this was the first episode of the show that got a 5/5 from me. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 am

Mullet Death wrote:Finally finished Season 1 of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, and am quite satisfied with my purchase. The only thing I'm NOT satisfied with is that ugly "SAVE Edition" on the cover. I wish Funimation would stop releasing them that way, and just release them normally for a reduced price after a certain period of time.

Glancing at the reviews for Season 2 and the OVAs make me worried that this series will be yet another case of me needing to read the manga to get the whole story, though. Not that I didn't see this coming... (¯―¯٥)

Dunno what you read, but there's absolutely no reason you have to read the manga to watch season 2 of Tsubasa. They're not even remotely related. Go. Watch it. I command it.
AND WATCH AVATAR ALREADY.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:45 pm

On episode 5 of Pandora Hearts....
This is freakin awesome...
Xerxes Break is freakin awesome...
I'm really looking forward to this.

Also, yes, watch Avatar.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 pm

I've been on a marathon of multiple animes so I haven't been updating here each time I watch them (I have on MyAnimeList though). Just for a heads up, looks like MAL is currently having problems with logging in (saying it failed to keep you log in and when you go to login and hit enter it then says there have been too many login fails and your IP is banned temporarily).

Akatsuki no Yona ep15
It has a new opening now, it's pretty but I prefer the first which is just instrumental. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Su-won is definitely keeping his cards close to him. He acts all carefree and friendly in front of others not in his immediate plotter's circle but really he is ruthless as well. He's definitely playing for the element of surprise by hiding his strength to win people over and catch enemies off guard.

Nanatsu no Taizai ep14
Huh, looks like they're changing some events... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm glad they're going to expand the "Gowther" arc in connections with people though it looks like they're going to scrap the manga's version of the Gowther arc (Gowther hanging out with kids while disguised, then later finding the Armored Giant) and divert the anime from the manga from here on out or simply replace the manga's events for the Armored Giant and finding Gowther.

CinniScrib

Postby Crossfire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:04 am

So I started watching another little-known anime called Kino no Tabi. Eight episodes in and I'm not quite sure what I feel. But it's definitely something.
Crossfire

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Finished up Valvrave the Liberator—Overall I thought it was pretty good. The best aspects of this show were definitely the art and visuals. I’m gonna be really shallow for a minute here and say that the visual aspect to this anime is what originally dragged me in, and thankfully, it didn’t turn out to be out of these anime that is just “pretty on the outside”. Though the first half was a little rough here and there, the overwhelming urge to see what happens next, along with all the action/explosions were enough to keep me watching.

The second half of Valvrave was awesome! It just gets more explosive, dramatic, thrilling, and, of course, ridiculous as it goes. The last episode did disappoint me a little though. It wasn’t bad, but just felt a little rushed.

Another thing I didn’t like about the last few episodes was the fact that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: there are allot of character deaths that feel kind of meaningless, and seem to be there just for shock value. I’ve seen a number of anime do this toward the end, and I think that’s really a shame.

Favorite characters: A-drei, Marie Nobi

Art/Visuals: 9.5/10
Story: 5.5/10 (turn your brain off)
Characters: 7/10
Enjoyment: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10 (I didn’t average the above scores for that)

If you’re a fan of Gundam SEED, Gundam 00, Code Geass, and Guilty Crown; then you might wanna watch this one, its allot of fun. It's like combining the drama of SEED and Guilty Crown with the explosiveness of Gurren Lagann.

Other anime I’ve been watching:

I watched up to episode 5 of Black Blood Brothers—cool characters, cool setting, cool story—it’s a good show so far.

Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) episode 1—seems promising.

Bleach episode 45—I’m moving through this very slowly, but it's good.

Thunderscream872

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Cat96 wrote:

I had no idea that Victorian Romance Emma was on Hulu! I should watch this. I haven't read the manga, but the author also did A Bride's Story, which I love, so I have been meaning to get to Emma for awhile.

There are a number of shows I was watching and got stalled on (job + child + baby #2 in December takes a lot of time!), but right now all I'm watching is School Rumble. I've actually seen the first season before, but it is just as funny watching it all over again. It does get painful at times, though . . . poor Harima never gets a break. Right now we're on a roll with this series, but eventually I'm hoping to go back and finish up the stuff we were watching earlier.
Mouse2010

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:44 am

中二病でも恋がしたい! (for some reason, Sentai changes the title to "Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions!") Blu-ray arrived a few days back, so I've been delaying everything else to watch it instead. Loved it, can't wait for the next season to get a release. Solid romcom. Plenty of adorable weirdo characters, lots of cringeworthy but weirdly relatable "中二病" moments, Protoganist-kun is a great straight man, wonderful animation, the works. Good stuff. For the record, "chunibyo" is basically that weird stuff you get into as a little kid or middle school that severely embarrasses you later in life. That's actually a pretty inadequate description... you'd just have to watch the show, okay?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby johnfrancis » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Cardcaptor Sakura, episode 8, alas under the American release Cardcaptors (episode 1, not 8, go figure) but it is still good -
johnfrancis

Postby skreyola » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Nyanpasu! I have finished watching Non Non Biyori. Weird show, but there were a few moment that were hilarious. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Nocturnalux » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:00 am

I've finished quite a few titles to make space for this season's anime:

Haikyuu!
I liked this one a lot. It manages to do all a sports anime is meant to do, to show the importance of teamwork, the intensity of each match while tying up the characters' development with the game. Kageyama's character in particular was very well accomplished in that regard. Starting off as 'the king of the court', he was so above his peers in middle school that developed highly dictatorial tendencies and basically treated his team with Midousuji-like lack of caring. His downfall comes when the entire team ceases to listen to his commands which to a setter is death.
A sport like volleyball is even more team driven than most so Kageyama's ways can only spell disaster even if he is a genius player. As one of the other teams says, 'we are blood', in the sense that everyone works together to achieve a goal. Hinata, the bundle of energy spike who serves as rival and support to Kageyama, is the typical shounen hero except he is actually likable.
The third years add their share of poignancy as always happens in this kind of series because it is their last year. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was very surprised that the heroes actually lose the last game. The series ends in defeat which I was not at all expecting but that I greatly appreciated, if there is one thing that annoys me is a team that never ever loses.

Kuroko no Basket 2
Wonderful all around. Like Haikyuu it manages to develop the characters through the game in question, in this case basketball. The choice of a very low key lead ends up resulting very well as Kuroko's reasonable ways and extremely quiet demeanor are hardly ever seen in a sports anime main character. That the character whose name is in the actual title is known for its amazing *passing* skills, of all things, is already original enough. Anyone who has ever played basketball will tell you that passing is vital but it is not glamorous enough to fit the bill. Until Kuroko rolls by, that is.
Of course, Kuroko's laid back attitude does hide a fierce attachment to the game and there are plenty of hotheaded characters to make up for his lack of enthusiasm. Namely, Kagami who grows by leaps in bounds in this season. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The highlight has got to be the game against Aomine, arguably one of Seirin's most difficult victories. The game with Murasakibara was extremely good as well and the added angle of childhood friend turned rival in Himuro was a good choice.
I've yet to pick up the third season but there will be Akashi which makes me very, very happy.

Inazuma Eleven Go: Galaxy
The Inazuma franchise is officially about soccer but it is more about magic than anything else. Aimed at a younger audience than Kuroko, it becomes sillier and weirder with each instalment. In one of the later seasons the heroes travel across time in a bus-time machine driven by a talking blue teddy bear from the future (!) in order to gain special powers from several historical figures. This leads us to playing soccer with dinosaurs, for example.
This season is no exception. The future of the entire universe will be decided through a soccer tournament between several planets and of course it is up to the Inzuma team to represent Earth and keep everything from being absorbed by a black hole. Except instead of actual soccer players the team is mostly comprised by athletes from other sports and by two smart but really not athletic kids. So a lot of time is spent building up these new characters and showing them that soccer is absolutely amusing.
They tried to match up each kids' ability to their position in soccer which was quite surprising as realism is not exactly Inazuma's forte. At all. But the former basketball player ends up becoming a goal keeper, the former boxer uses his footwork to dodge and defend, the former track runner puts his running skills to good use (like Kazemaru back in the day), the smart kids analyze their opponents and find patterns of attack, etc. The reason why these players were picked when they start out becoming absolute zeros at soccer is explained through their having magical potential in the form of 'Souls' which are basically animal avatars used in flashy sequences. It is not surprising that Inazuma has spawned many games, card games, etc.

The development of these new characters is the highlight of Galaxy but it is strange in a few ways. Would a diehard basketball player need be told about the power of teamwork? Not really, basket has as much if not more teamwork than soccer. Just ask Kuroko. Also, for all the 'soccer saves the universe' rhetoric (taken literally in this season!), there is a lack of understanding of the actual rules of the game. Despite soccer being addressed as a thinking creature ('You're making soccer sad', is a frequent line said in all seriousness), or perhaps for that very reason, we have shiny animation sequences every other episode but no penalty kicks, no off-sides, and perhaps even stranger, no yellow or red cards.
One of the staples of the franchise is having an absurdly powerful team literally mop the floor with our heroes so much so that they end up half-dead and unable to even get up. No referee ever intervenes but there are referees, they simply allow extremely violent plays all the time. They also allow *the entire* team to be switched with new members and then replaced by the original ones, another thing that is not allowed.

In a word, 'soccer' is code for 'teamwork, friendship and effort'. You really could call it 'magic', replace the ball with wands and the essence of Inazuma would not change much. As an aside, I understand that this is aimed at Japanese boys but it is still a bit weird how the team that represents Earth as a whole is *entirely* Japanese. Especially since the franchise is known for having a lot of foreign characters that could have been used here. But no, it's Japanese people only and later aliens...because.
Nocturnalux

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 17

Akatsuki No Yona episode 16

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 15

Fairy Tail 2014 ep 43

Kamisama Hajimemashita season 2 episode 3

I'm still marathoning Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight and Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

CinniScrib

Postby Nocturnalux » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:09 pm

More anime I just finished:

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

The second season of Magi is as good as the first. It is shounen done right so there is plenty of action, super-powered characters abound, epic battles follow one another and the comedy is actually effective more often than not. There is still plenty of darkness as the secrets behind the black ruhk are expounded about and our trio of heroes all undergo a lot of growth. The Kou empire and Seven Seas Alliance gangs still come very close to stealing Alibaba's thunder and threaten his status as one of the main characters, so much so that Sinband now has his own spin-off series.
And speaking of the characters, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: this season expands on Hakuryuu and introduces the adorable Titus. Hakuryuu is a strange case. His background will make anyone cry buckets but that is fairly frequent in a series like Magi. What is unexpected is his mother complex and the fact that he actually confessed his love to Morgiana. Being a secondary character it is obvious that he is doomed to fail but it still surprise me a bit, quite a bold move. Even better, or worse, is his involvement with Judal who apparently selected him as his king candidate. This being Judal, it's a clear sign that Hakuryuu's descent into darkness is only just starting. Usually this kind of character gets 'nakama'd' into joining the good guys even if they end up dying in the process like Cassim. But Hakuryuu, despite being welcomed into the nakama circle and gaining comrades he is still a bundle of angst and something of a walking time bomb. Alibaba goes through something very much like it but since he is too central to the story it is unlikely he will ever be lured into darkness as much as Hakuryuu.
Hakuryuu ends up rebelling against his really evil mother and failing royally, no pun intended. At this point I thought Judal would drop him altogether but no, the last we see of Hakuryuu he is with Judal and biding farewell to our heroes from afar. Hakuryuu has officially turned his back on Alibaba and co. so from now he may very well be part of the baddies.
Then, we have Titus. He is introduced in what I think as the 'Harry Potter' arc as a young magician student and rival to Aladdin. But soon the cocky bishie façade crumbles as we come to realize he is the clone of one of the Magi and as such only has one month to live. This leads to a lot of angst that is actually justified. I am not entirely sure I agree with his becoming a Magic himself after dying, I thought it was one of the rules of Magi that once your rukh enters the stream your individual self is forever gone but in this case I appreciate the loophole.
The whole conflict between magicians and non-magicians was very well handled. It shows how discrimination begets more discrimination with horrible results. Mogamet embodies the conflict in a believable way and adds some moral relativity that is something shounen shows really need more of.

My main complaint is the lack of Judal. On the rare occasions he does appear he steals the show as always but sadly he is hardly on show. I have been meaning to check out the manga for ages now, I should get to it soon because I need more Judal in my life.

Sword Art Online II

I was not a fan of the first season and this one is a bit more of the same but has some highlights. There are three arcs that work as stand-alone pieces and some of these actually managed to hold my interest. The first one takes place in a shooting game and introduces a new female character with a very personal motivation for playing. The game's universe is gritty and post-apocalytic, vaguely Trigun-like and so much more interesting than SAO. Kirito nearly ruins this on by being, well, Kirito but it was still a fun ride even if it really derails after a while. The second arc is dreadful and should have been cut altogether, it's just more Kirito, Kirito's harem, Kirito again. Oh and Yui who is even worse and ought to be killed with fire. The third arc came as a surprise. By having almost no Kirito it immediately became better than expected. Ausna takes the stage as the main character and actually holds her own. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: But how depressing that in 2025 they still have no cure for AIDS despite having developed such sophisticated technology. Yes, the whole affair with Yuuki is there to make the viewer tear up but it actually works. The interaction between Asuna and Yuuki is touching and ever so sad, Asuna's struggles as an 'oujo-sama' add a sense of realism to a franchise that by default never had much of it.
It is not the best thing since sliced cheese but I'd say it is an improvement on the first season.
Nocturnalux

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews