What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Cat96 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:58 pm

Finished Kamisama Kiss. Overall I enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of Inuyasha a little. The best part was the clean content. It made it seem more innocent, which was the part that I enjoyed.

Since its Christmas break, I'll be watching a whole lot of anime.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Cat96 wrote:Finished Kamisama Kiss. Overall I enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of Inuyasha a little. The best part was the clean content. It made it seem more innocent, which was the part that I enjoyed.

Since its Christmas break, I'll be watching a whole lot of anime.

That's the biggest reason I love the show so much. I don't recall anything objectionable in it at all.

Started Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle myself, gonna watch One Piece Film Z and then keep chugging along in the New World stuff. Also gonna start Toriko soon, despite the insistence of a friend to read the manga instead. Whoo, I need to get a life.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Almost finished with the second season of Blast of Tempest. Its quite intriguing, so far. I truly hope the ending does not disappoint.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 12
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: UUGH! So tragic! The white dragon was so loved and revered in its village and the blue dragon is feared and hated, they totally screwed up the legend/forgot about it. Man what a contrast! His mentor, Ao (love it, literally "blue"), is so strict since he knows the hate/distrust. The desperation he felt but he did care to some degree, so happy to be free but sad that the blue dragon had to share the burden alone. He inherited Ao's mask too 8'( He has no idea about the legend, he's so lost... GAH! GIVE ME THE NEXT EPISODE!

CinniScrib

Postby Nocturnalux » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:35 am

Finished:

Hataraku Maou-sama!
It managed to always be amusing and I love the commentary on modern life in Japan. The final episode was absolutely hilarious and one of the best, navigating the many dangerous of Japanese society may be much more complicated than epic fights against evil armies. I wish Sariel had been introduced earlier as he is way too funny.

Watching:

Selector Spread WIXOSS ep. 10
Two episodes to go. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So we finally meet the real Iona and Dark Girl gets renamed 'Yuki'. Bonus points for Noto Mamiko voicing 'real' Iona. The Akira/Ulith dynamics rings of Stockholm's syndrome and is probably the most interesting thing this new season has accomplished thus far. Forget Mayu and her white room, Aoi Akira's wish to scar and heal Ulith forever and ever is so disturbing that it makes my skin crawl. The voice acting is excellent, too, Akira goes from her Idol persona to this girl gang posse voice in a blink of an eye

Meganebu! ep.9
Against all odds there actually is character development in this one. For Mitsuki and involving Hayato, of all people. It all happens because the 2nd years have a field trip in Okinawa so the 1st years are thrown together. Some surprisingly sweet moments develop between Mitsuki and Hayato, bonus points for Hayato's adorable family. Meanwhile the Okinawa outing results in hilarious distasters as the boys put glasses on statues and manage to get strandedt on a deserted island. Their efforts to survive in the wild made me laugh out out.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle ep. 5
Nothing too interesting here but from the preview I got the impression that the next episode will be better.

Barakamon ep. 2
Sei sensei's adventures in the small island have just begun and already this is a riot. Naru is one of my favorite anime kids ever.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou ep.1
This looks exceptionally beautiful, I was even reminded of ef at some points but it is a whacky comedy. I'm really enjoying it so far, it's nice to see a cast that includes working age people as opposed to the usual all highschool setting.

Inazuma Eleven Go: Galaxy ep. 37
This is one of my guilty pleasures. The Inazuma Eleven franchise gets a little sillier with each instalment, it started as superpowered soccer battles between kids and before you knew it was about traveling through space and time in order to save soccer, dinosaurs playing soccer, Oda Nobunaga thrown into the mix, angels, demons, aliens, the whole lot. Go: Galaxy ups the antee by having our heroes travel to other galaxies on this grand tournament against other planets. Add to this black holes about to wipe out the whole universe if they lose and you're set for a few giggles.
The cast takes it all very, very seriously. Everyone is charming which is one of the good parts of the franchise, there are so many characters that there is a bit for everyone. And they have reached the finals so epic speeches about the feelings of soccer and nakama power are bound to increase geometrically along with the fantasy effects for utterly unrealistic soccer moves.
Nocturnalux

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Fairy Tail ch413

Nanatsu no Taizai Ch108

CinniScrib

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Just finished Tokyo Ghoul.

*blink*
MightiMidget

Postby skreyola » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Tamako Market Ep. 2: This show would be awesome, if it didn't have that stupid talking bird in it. As it is, I'm not sure how much longer I'll watch. Tamako and her life are interesting and engaging without that contrivance, and the bird hasn't added anything valuable to the show. If I finish this show, it'll proabably rank 3 whole rating lower than it would have as just the story of the girl, the shopping arcade, and the guy across the way.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:38 am

Finished up Canaan--It was pretty good, there was lots of action, the animation was great, the story was intriguing enough, and most importantly the characters in this show were handled very well, and were definitely the highlight of the anime. For only being twelve episodes, each character was given adequate time and got decent development.

Favorite character: Yunyun for sure. All the characters in this show were show were good, but Yunyun added so much. Any scene with her was usually allot of fun.

Valvrave the Liberator episode 15--really nice to see Marie getting so much time and development.

Chrome Shelled Regios episode 3--this one has a great set-up so far. The setting is interesting and different from most of the anime I've seen, and there is large cast of characters, which is always a plus for me (I just hope most of the them get development, and all the time isn't spent on the two leads). All the characters are pretty cool, except I'm not totally into three of the main characters--Nina, Layfon, or Felli. Its not that I don't like them (I actually like Nina allot more than I did at first after episode 3), but they seem way too been-there-done-that for me.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Nocturnalux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:29 am

Finished:

Gintama': Enchousen
I stalled this for far too long because I did not want Gintama to be over so as soon as a new season was announced I finished this entry. It is as good as ever with a finale that delivers on the laughs and randomness for which the franchise is so well known while still pulling at the heartstrings. Gintama is one of the few anime that can make you laugh out loud and tear up in the same episode.

Selector Spread WIXOSS
I am torn about this ending. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The fluffly finale did not match the whole tone of the series but I can understand why they would want to pick the happy route. Still, there are many things that I am still left wondering about. Did Akira suddenly become nice? Are Yuziki and Kazuki dating Kazuki despite their being twins? Perhaps even worse is that Ru's past is never explored even though it would make a wonderful parallel with Mayu's situation. And speaking of Mayu, why was she confined to a room her whole life? For all the lost opportunities I still think this season had a decent ending.

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
Another ending I am torn about. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I cannot help thinking that a sad or at least bittersweet conclusion would have been more fitting and much more powerful than defaulting to the typical 'power of friendship saves the day'. At the very least the girls should have remained handicapped in some way instead of getting cured just like that. With that said I do think they managed to handle a happy ending much better than I thought they would

Barakamon ep. 5
Konomon! Sei-sensei is really growing up. It is interesting how topnotch calligraphy is so wild and frantic. I always try to make my characters as tidy and neat as possible but calligraphy masters go all out. You can feel the movement in their strokes, it really is impressive. And Sei trying to use an old dial telephone was absolutely hilarious. I will miss this when it's over.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle ep. 8
Things are finally getting serious. There are many things going on as everything speeds up toward the end. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Glad to see some character development for Red Chaika and I did not expect Vivi to cut out brainswashed!Gillette's hand. I am getting a bit tired of powerful baddies who beat the good guys and taunt them without killing them, Shin just managed to beat Toru hands down only to walk away without delivering the killer blow. Gah.

Inazuma Eleven Go: Galaxy ep. 38
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kageyama is now a player? Eh...isn't he around 60 by now, why is he playing with a bunch of middle school kids? I don't even, couldn't they just milk the Tsurugi/Tenma thing for all it's worth?

Gugure! Kokkuri-san ep. 2
Hands down one of the funniest youkai themed comedies out there. Kokkuri-san is so adorable and kind, I wish I had him around to cook for me and handle my chores. But Kohina does have a point, cup ramen is surprisingly delicious.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ep. 5
Mahouka takes the 'magic school' concept much more serious than most. There are long, long descriptions of how magical sequences work and about the technical aspects of the whole affair. It can get a bit dry but the discrimination issue between magically gifted students (known as 'Bloom') and the average Joes who have no magical powers (derogatorily called 'Weeds') injects a well needed conflict into the story. Add to that a global terrorism angle and you are in to an interesting start.
Unfortunately the harem complete with exceedingly clingy little sister nearly kill the plot. From what I've heard it becomes rather racist further on with some thinly veiled anti-Chinese sentiment rearing its ugly head. It is nothing new in Japanese society but it tends not to infiltrate anime too much.
Nocturnalux

Postby primetech » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:39 pm

:raded:
Last edited by primetech on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
primetech

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Watching, among everything else, Hanamaru Kindergarten. A lethal overdose of cute packed into each episode.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Watching anime to relax as I continue to recover from this sickness. Currently going through the 4th episode of the original Sailor Moon.
mysngoeshere56

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:47 pm

Fairy Tail 2014 ep 39

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 13 (END)
Well that went by quick though honestly at times it felt like corners were cut. Maybe this was based on a game, it felt like it could be but I haven't found anything on it yet. Otherwise there is so much they could have expanded on/only hinted at.

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis /Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis ep 12 (END)
I can really see how this was based on a video game with the plot but it wasn't a super heavy rpg anime like some I've watched. It was right to the point though I feel like there could have been more development/build up instead of just basically taking the sheet off the table and go: WAH LAH! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though I liked the ending I felt poor Amira got the short end of the stick. Her whole existence was as a tool but she did live, but really wow. She was emotional and powerful but really could have had more development instead of "YOU UNLOCK THE DRAGON. YOU DIE." but the parting was bittersweet between her and Favaro 8'(

CinniScrib

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Samurai Champloo
Trinity Blood
Mawaru Penguindrum
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby skreyola » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Hulu now has the first season of K-On!, so I watched the first episode. It seems to have potential, but it's off to a rocky start.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:29 am

Serial Experiment Lain ep 2. Definately interesting so far.
Soul Eater ep. 51. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I though, for some reason, that Crona was going to die on episode 45, but then s/he didn't. (this is a first for me. Normally my favorite characters all dieeee...) And then the way Asura died was... just... what. Does that mean Maka could also kill Shinigami? IDK anymore.
Lucky Star ep. 16
Death Note ep. 15
artisticDreamer

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:35 pm

Watching relaxing stuff with the wolf. Things like Locodol and Nan Nan Byori.
Mithrandir

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Free! Eternal Summer, ep. 10
mysngoeshere56

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 pm

Last thing I watched in 2014 was the first episode of Ouran Highschool Host Club
artisticDreamer

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 13

And I'm finally getting around to watching Record of Lodoss War. I'd started it like 3 years ago (maybe 4 years) but someone had posted the sequel series so I had to stop. I just found the OVA so I'm getting through that, wish I could find the subbed version :/

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:41 am

Finished Record of Lodoss War (OVA) ep 1-13

It had its ups and downs, namely with the fast-forwards from one place to the next and the narrator having to catch the viewers up on what happened. Also the annoying thing to me was the back tracking in episodes. Episode 1 is meant to get the viewers introduced to the party as a whole unit but really plotwise it fits in between episode 5 and 6 since 1-5 backtracks then 6 continues from where episode 1 took place. Also suddenly they're talking about events we don't see save flashbacks of "oh we visited him". A little jarring at times because of those transitions (or lack of), but overall a nice fantasy series to pass the time by. I watched the dub so there was no swearing but like... 2? minor nudity shoots toward the end which involve the upper torso and about 1 boob being seen each time really quickly. Mainly it was the gore during battles but honestly it's more PG-13 to me given how violent anime can be now, this was slice and bleed and "eeeeeh yeah die already" vs blood spurting and limbs flying.

I'm going to try out the continuation series to this though I've read apparently the first 8 episodes are rehashings with slight expansions of the last few episodes of the OVA series. That's going to be fun to endure since it's been claimed to be slow but have its epic bits but then picks up after episode 8.

CinniScrib

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:12 pm

The 2 Natsume's Book Of Friends OVA's (known as Nyanko-sensei to Hajimete no Otsukai and Itsuka Yuki no Hi ni, respectively) (complete, sub):

Ahhh, I needed this. <3 <3 Granted, the first OVA seemed more like an elaborate ad for a certain brand of chocolate than anything else, LOL, and the repeating loop of jokes got a bit worn out by the end, but it was still cute. :) The *second* OVA, however, was basically just like any other Natsume episode, and it was absolutely beautiful. <3 :hug: (...Fifth season when? :) )

The 4 Steins;Gate IBM Mini-Specials (a.k.a. Steins;Gate: Soumei Eichi no Cognitive Computing) (complete, sub):

These were hilarious, cute, random shorts that didn't really seem to have much to do with IBM at all, LOL, but I'm sure glad they sponsored these, because I loved them, haha. :lol: :hug:

And the 2 Tonari no Seki-kun Specials ("Field Trip" and "Snow Playing") (complete, sub):

It was nice to have two more episodes of this. :grin: While the pacing/timing seemed a little slower than the show's other ep.'s for some reason, they were still amusing. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:All the characters are pretty cool, except I'm not totally into three of the main characters--Nina, Layfon, or Felli. Its not that I don't like them (I actually like Nina allot more than I did at first after episode 3), but they seem way too been-there-done-that for me.

Awww, give Felli a chance! She's most probably my favorite female anime character ever.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:47 am

Tsukimonogatari (complete):

The beginning of the end...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ROTFL at the 'hatred of alarm clocks' bit. :lol: And oh dear, another endless bath scene :eyeroll: (although at least it was actually kinda funny this time instead of just purely annoying). :P Once it finally got (mostly) serious, though, LOL, as usual it was quite interesting (and a great lead-up to the impending Final Season arc{s}). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was not expecting that little revelation about Araragi's condition, but it made perfect sense-- and the ramifications, especially given that situation tailor-made for him to have to use his powers (not to mention the potential ramifications for Final Season!), were fascinating. The 'curse' on Yozuru (and new character Tadatsuru, as well) was an interesting note, too, and finally made sense of her 'quirk.' Speaking of Tadatsuru: The conversation that he and Araragi had was *also* fascinating (with all the talk about pawns and being manipulated and such). I had kinda been expecting some sort of epic-level mind-game debate (something like what Kaiki would do, I guess?), but instead, Tadatsuru almost ignoring Araragi and then basically committing suicide (!) to try to go against his intended role (which actually ended up being precisely what was wanted of him anyway...! :pikka: )-- just, wow. :pikka: And oh man, the way that exchange ended-- not only with Tadatsuru's and Ononoki's actions, but also with Ononoki's words-- was pretty powerful. And speaking of powerful: When Ougi commented on Araragi maturing in proportion to how much he's lost, it gave me goosebumps, because he was definitely a *lot* more mature (or, well, about as much as he *can* be, LOL) in Hanamonogatari-- which is the last story in chronological order-- than he was here... which means that he's probably going to lose something *big* in Final Season (...and there go the goosebumps again :pikka: ). Between that foreshadowing here and all of the stuff with Ougi from Second Season through now-- and it's been fairly obvious that Ougi was going to be the 'final boss,' as Ononoki put it, ever since Hachikuji's story in Second Season-- yeah, I fully expect that Final Season is going to be amazing. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Awww, give Felli a chance! She's most probably my favorite female anime character ever.

I actually just finished up episode 12 today, and at this point I like pretty much all of the characters, including Felli :) Its a great show so far. The only thing is SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I've heard that the ending isn't much of an ending. Honestly, though, as long as the characters and story are good and there's not some bizarre twist in the end, I'm not that critical.

Anyways,
Chrome Shelled Regios episode 12
Valvrave the Liberator episode 18
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Kamisama Kiss!!! SECOND SEASON!! I can't remember where the first season left off but it's been like 2 years since it aired?

Kamisama Hajimemashita season 2 episode 1

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight Episode 1-5

CinniScrib

Postby Nocturnalux » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ep6-14

I used to think that Kirito was annoying then I met Shiba Tatsuya and all I can say is, come back Kirito you're forgiven. These last episodes have turned this into even more of the 'let's praise/crush on Tatsuya at every single opportunity" show. Tatsuya does no wrong. He is perfect. Every single girl is in love with him, little sister of course included, he helps out everyone. British scientists are complete idiots and the Germans are not much better: Tatsuya is better. Really.
The harem vibes grow stronger with each episode and there are times when I literally mumbled under my breath at the sheer horror of it all. Tatsuya is also a genius who handles the constant techno babble like the brilliant super smart guy he is. At first I enjoyed the stoic character front because at least he could interact with girls without getting all flustered to the point of absurdity but it has become every bit as annoying as everything else.
Meanwhile, Suzaku dropped by from Code Geass just...because, I guess.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: At first I was glad that Mibu had left the Tatsuya harem and fallen in love with Kirihara even if it was horribly written but her reasons for switching sides are so awful as to be downright insulting to Kirihara. She claims that since Tatsuya is so strong, powerful, intelligent, etc. that she could never possibly be keep up with that so she settled for Kirihara who is more on the same level. Wonderful, self-demeaning and insulting to your current boyfriend to boot! Why not? And everyone finds it very touching.
Nocturnalux

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 14

Akatsuki no Yona episode 13

CinniScrib

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews