What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby skreyola » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Loving Acchi Kocchi. Watched episode 8 tonight. I spotted a Denpa Onna (+ ET) reference! Confirmed my contention that both Tsumiki and Io are SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ki Strike masters. The fish-catching segment was hilarious. Io not a prize was funny, too. Was that a Piyo plushie she wanted?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Cat96 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 am

Finished The Devil is a Part-Timer last night. Overall I really enjoyed this series. It was very comedic, while being serious at times and still having funny moments in those serious times. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I still don't get why the devil is so nice. He must've hit his head when he went through the portal or something. I also wanted more information about Ente Isla. I hope there is a second season so these questions can be answered.

Also finished episode 2 of Madoka Magica. A little boring at first, but I hear it starts getting good in the next episode.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby skreyola » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Cat96 wrote:Also finished episode 2 of Madoka Magica. A little boring at first, but I hear it starts getting good in the next episode.

I forget how long it takes, but it does, indeed, get very good. :)
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:23 am

Finished up Brynhildr in the Darkness the other day. It was a pretty good show, there was a definitely too much fanservice and the story could have been handled better, but it wasn't bad. I'd give it a 7/10. I would've given it a 6/10, but the last couple episodes were good enough to raise my opinion of the show. Still, I can't help feeling like its a poor man's Elfen Lied.

I started Canaan and have watched up to episode 6. Its pretty good. The characters are entertaining enough, and the gun fights/fight scenes are pretty awesome. It's good, but nothing spectacular.

As far as the other ones I'm watching:

Episode 11 of Aquarion Evol.

Episode 44 of Bleach.

Now that I'm done with Brynhildr, I'm back to watching Valvrave the Liberator (Kakumeiki Valvrave). I only watch one subbed anime at a time.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby artisticDreamer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:46 am

Soul Eater episode 34-
Nobody has died yet. I'm impressed.
artisticDreamer

Postby Cat96 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:18 pm

I finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica episode 5 yesterday. Man, when people said this show starts to get dark after halfway through episode 3, they weren't kidding. I haven't felt such intensity since I watched the first two episodes of Attack on Titan.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Nocturnalux » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Finished:
Ao Haru Ride
A very satisfying conclusion which does not happen all that often in ongoing manga adaptations. But focusing more on Kou and shifting it more toward friendship instead of romance proper was probably the best option and one that worked very well. I'm curious as to what the live action movie will bring, I wonder how they will cast as Kou.

Terra Formars OVA
Only two episodes long, it's a prequel to the events in the series. It's the typical TF formula: bloody, extremely violent, full of despair and yet still managing to pull at the heartstrings. Recommended to fans of the franchise.

watching:
Haikyuu! episode 22
This keeps impressing me. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oikawa's flashback turned him into a well rounded character that goes beyond the 'evil senpai' motif that he has going for him. All that effort he put into training only to be trumped by Kageyama's...Kageyamaness, would drive anyone mad. But if volleyball fails him he can have a great career as an Idol

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova episode 10
Almost over and every bit as vapid as the first episode. I stalled this title for a long, long time and I still find it annoying upon revisiting it. It's something of a harem anime but the girls are 'human models' of sentient warships that have taken over the world. There's something about saving humanity but it takes the backseat to girls in bikinis and endless fanservice.

Yowapeda Grande Road episode 11
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It broke my heart then spat it out and loved every single moment of it.
Nocturnalux

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:11 am

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja ep10-11

Akatsuki no Yona episode 11

CinniScrib

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Gun Gale Online episode 6:
KIRITO'S HAIR. It's why I'm still watching.
artisticDreamer

Postby Cat96 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:Gun Gale Online episode 6:

No offense to anyone, but is that the same Kirito from SAO1? He kinda looks like a girl, or at least that's what my first thought was when I saw that picture. XD

Also just finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Final reaction: 'o' Wow... that show was freaking beautiful. I came into the series knowing it would be dark, but I wasn't prepared for all the twisted twists and turns the show took before reaching a final resolution. Definitely one of my favorites. If only the DVDs on Amazon were cheaper, then I'd buy the series in a heartbeat.
Cat96

Postby Nocturnalux » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:50 pm

You need to give the Madoka movies a turn next. I've yet to watch Rebellion but heard great things about it.

Finished:
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
It started out half-decent, became awful, then settled for mediocre and ended in the same line.

Hataraku Maou-sama! episode 10
Still extremely funny. It's rare that a swimsuit episode does not devolve into pure fanservice but this one kept up with topnotch humor of the series despite being still very fanservice oriented.

Re:␣Hamatora episode 7
I liked some of the new things in this sequel. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Namely having Art as the villain. Wasting Kamiya Hiroshi's talents voicing a good guy amidst other good guys would have been a waste and his being torn between his 'mission' to kill Nice and their former history makes for good drama. But I'm still annoyed at the freeze frames and jarring sound bite that happens every time it cuts to another scene. It gets worse with each episode.
Regarding episode 7, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: After what was arguably one of the heaviest episodes so far and we were left to believe that Murasaki was dead we are treated to a full on comedy episode. It is actually funny but I question its placement at this point in time

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle episode 1
Chaika is back. Her oddball speech pattern either makes her endearing or insufferable depending on how high your tolerance to moe is. If I hear 'kansha' one more time I may end up biting my laptop. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: At this point I'm still more interested in finding out just what happened to Gillette as I know people do not die in such anime unless their bodies are found and in Vivi turning into Chaika. It's a subplot but more interesting than Chaika going all Pokémon on her hunt for her father's remains.
Nocturnalux

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis episode 10

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 11

CinniScrib

Postby LastLfan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:46 am

Log horizon 2 episode 10, this show is really spot on for me, I've never kept with an anime weekly this long, I just love it so much though. It's great to see the girls getting a lot of time in the spotlight this season as this show has some great strong females. The men are great as well, especially William's speech in episode 10, blew me away.
LastLfan

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:01 am

One Piece Episode five hundred and sixty something.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby artisticDreamer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 pm

Cat96 wrote:
artisticDreamer wrote:Gun Gale Online episode 6:

No offense to anyone, but is that the same Kirito from SAO1? He kinda looks like a girl, or at least that's what my first thought was when I saw that picture. XD

That is indeed the same Kirito.
But to stay on topic, I just watched Soul Eater episode 38, and Madoka Magica episode 7.
artisticDreamer

Postby EventualDay » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Though it's not technically anime, I feel like I can say that I just finished season 1 of The Legend of Korra. The next season's on hold at the library for me ;)

About to start Kamigami no Asobi. I have a guilty pleasure for otome-game adaptations even when I know they're terrible. I just like knowing I can legitimately pair my heroine up with whomever I please, haha.

Also still watching some Fall Season shows, but I think commenting on them both here and on the Fall 2014 page is unnecessary.
EventualDay

Postby Cat96 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Finished Noragami episode 7. This show is freaking hilarious. I love the animation during the funny scenes. Also the fight scenes are awesome.
Cat96

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:21 am

I finished Madoka Magica. That show was beautiful. ;-; I want to watch the movie, but I've heard so many bad things about it...
Then I watched the nine Pandora Hearts specials. Gil... no, why are you a maid? (Still, it was frigging hilarious.)
And Soul Eater episode 39.
artisticDreamer

Postby Nocturnalux » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:59 am

You mean the movies, there are three altogether.

Rewatching
Durarara!! episode 3
I miss Ikebukuro and this series always reminds me of that. The attention to detail in bringing to life what is arguably one of Tokyo's most eccletic neighborhoods is stunning. You can recognize exact places like the view of the sunshine from the East Ikebukuro park. And Izaya, so much love for brilliant insanity.

watching:
Barakamon episode 1
As wonderful as I'd heard if not more. This original story about a young calligraphy master who ends up exiling himself in a small island after punching an old master who criticises his characters is simply beautiful. Naru is a rare case of a super hyper anime kid who does not annoy me beyond belief. I will be doing some calligraphy for new years so I hope this one will inspire me.

Terra Formars episode 10
Yes, TF is very gorey, violent and bleak. But at the same time it manages to have more character development than a lot of tamer anime out there. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I knew it was coming but I still feel so sorry to see Adolf go. It is made even more painful for the fact that despite all his effort he still could not protect a single person. At least Eva and the like were wiped out in a explosion instead of being torn to pieces by the roaches...it's a very small solace in a world of pain. I was hoping I'd see Eva power up and at least put up a fight but she never even got around to using her medicine. Her death was one of the least awful ones, though...although seeing Adolf die like that in front of her must have been beyond horrible.
Nocturnalux

Postby Cat96 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Finished Noragami. I loved how this show had so many funny moments while still able to be serious. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I think it was episode 9 when I realized just how patient Yato was. He suffered through all that pain that increased as time went on and yet he didn't fire Yukine even though it was Yukine's fault. Also loved the final episode. The patient ones are always scarier when they snap, and this episode helped to prove that. That scene where he says "Be quiet" and the music stops, man that sends a shiver down my spine every time.

I have a feeling I'll be watching a lot of short anime this Christmas break. Since I finished Noragami, I thought I'd try season 1 of Vampire Knight. I've heard both good and bad things about it. I've been trying to be more open about genres lately.
Cat96

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Cat96 wrote:I thought I'd try season 1 of Vampire Knight. I've heard both good and bad things about it. I've been trying to be more open about genres lately.

Oh man, there are other vampire anime/manga/novels out there that are so much better...

That said, VK season 1 is okay; however, I will give you fair warning that both the anime and manga (in different ways, amazingly enough) turned into quite the mess in their second halves. :shady:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Nocturnalux » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Cat96 wrote:Finished Noragami. I loved how this show had so many funny moments while still able to be serious. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I think it was episode 9 when I realized just how patient Yato was. He suffered through all that pain that increased as time went on and yet he didn't fire Yukine even though it was Yukine's fault. Also loved the final episode. The patient ones are always scarier when they snap, and this episode helped to prove that. That scene where he says "Be quiet" and the music stops, man that sends a shiver down my spine every time.

Noragami is made even better by Kamiya Hiroshi. I did a happy dance inside the moment I realized he'd be voicing Yato.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle episode 2
By now I've given up on actually liking Chaika but at least I find her less annoying. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Great to see Vivi take charge and set out on learning more about the many Chaikas. Red Chaika is back and will probably play an important part very soon.

Selector Spread WIXOSS episodes 1-3
I waited until this one finished airing before giving it a go. So, Madoka with cards is back. Now that the shock revelations are out of the way the anime seems about to plod into even darker territory than before. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Akira is creepier than she ever was and now has a rather disturbing relationship with Iona's former LRIG card who has now taken Iona's place while Iona herself has become Ru's LRIG card. The episode ends with a sheer cliffhanger as Tama who had disappeared is now Ulri's LRIG card. I personally did not miss the lack of Tama as her baby talk and BATTURU BATTURU BATTURU really got on my nerves but I knew she'd be back sooner or later. I'm curious to see why Ulri is so obsessed with Akira, seems like an almost random decision but if played right could work very well. And I hope they will go deeper into the incest bit and of course Ruko's past.
Nocturnalux

Postby Cat96 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Nocturnalux wrote:
Cat96 wrote:Finished Noragami. I loved how this show had so many funny moments while still able to be serious. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I think it was episode 9 when I realized just how patient Yato was. He suffered through all that pain that increased as time went on and yet he didn't fire Yukine even though it was Yukine's fault. Also loved the final episode. The patient ones are always scarier when they snap, and this episode helped to prove that. That scene where he says "Be quiet" and the music stops, man that sends a shiver down my spine every time.

Noragami is made even better by Kamiya Hiroshi. I did a happy dance inside the moment I realized he'd be voicing Yato.

I heard he's also the voice of Levi from AoT. I haven't seen much of AoT yet.
Cat96

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:58 pm

Fairy Tail 2014 episode 37-38
Last edited by CinniScrib on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CinniScrib

Postby Nocturnalux » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:01 am

Cat96 wrote:
Nocturnalux wrote:

I heard he's also the voice of Levi from AoT. I haven't seen much of AoT yet.

Yeah, Kamiya-san did Levi's voice as well. And I can hardly wait to hear him as Izaya in the upcoming new Durarara! season.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle episode 3
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So Gillette is alive after all, who would have guessed. Seems he has taken a turn for the evil, though, so now he's even more like Howl than before.

Selector Spread WIXOSS episode 5
Chiyori is shaping up to the most annoying character in the whole series. I'll probably marathon this one soon.

Meganebu episode 8
One of the funniest episodes so far with plenty of Ace Attonrey references as Mitsuki investigates a whacky 'mystery'. More of the hilarious Hima Council with its poor president and sadist vice-president and as usual everyone ignores Hayato.
Nocturnalux

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:18 am

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis ep 11

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 12

CinniScrib

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:54 am

Episode 15 of Valvrave the Liberator.

Episode 14 of Aquarion Evol.

Episode 8 of Canaan.

I would post more about these, but the spoiler tag doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'll just say I still enjoy them all up to this point.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:50 am

Thunderscream872 wrote:I would post more about these, but the spoiler tag doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'll just say I still enjoy them all up to this point.

Hitting the "spoiler" button doesn't work but if you type the code yourself: [*spoiler] [*/spoiler] (remove the *) it does work!! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Like this

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 12

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 12
It's so nice how faithful they are to the book, like... dead on with minor changes but pretty much word for word and true to the book's events.

CinniScrib

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Death Note episode 6 (I watched all six of these yesterday...)
Soul Eater episode 42 (and four or five of these...)
Lucky Star episode 11 (and three of these...)
Guess who watched anime for 6+ hours yesterday.
artisticDreamer

Postby Nocturnalux » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Finished:
Terra Formars
The Attack on Titan comparisons cannot be avoided but the feel of TF is very different albeit every bit as violent. Many people hated the lengthy flashbacks that interrupt the otherwise non-stop action but I found that they make the story. I would not be able to care one bit for any of the characters if not for knowing how they ended up in Mars fighting the giant horrors that are the terra formars. As usual, anime adaptations of ongoing manga cannot have a proper ending but they did the best they could with the limited 13 episode format.
I will be sure to check out the manga one of these days.

Watching:
Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle episode 4
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: We finally find out what the Chaikas are, it should have been a shocking moment but the show has been telegraphing this grand revelation since the first season so it ends up not causing much of an impact. Chaika gets captured yet again as she was wont to do but this time around so was Red Chaika. Almost halfway through and it is still not particularly interesting.

Selector Spread WIXOSS episode 6-9
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It was obvious that Akira was sliding deeper and deeper into insanity but it still came as a surprise when she up and stabs Ulith. A bit underwhelming that it turned out to be a minor flesh wound, though. More plot development about Mayu, Tama gets possessed by Ulith, Iona is saved from the scrappy pile. But more interesting than all that is that Chiyori who I had resigned myself to hate has a serious dose of character development that made me understand her better. Turns out she really did coordinate her outfit to match her LRIG. Chiyori losing her third battle was much more emotional than I ever thought possible. At this point Wixoss has shaken off the Madoka vibes, at least to some extent, and while it retains the same dark tone that made the first season so great it has stalled a bit. By now we all know the rules of the Selector battles and the further revelations did not seem half as impressive as what came before. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Still, that there are girls who willingly keep fighting despite knowing full well the consequences gives one pause. In the first season Ru and the gang were duped into fighing Selector battles but Fumio, Akira and crazier than crazy Ultih all fight knowing what will happen and in some cases hoping to become LRIGs. Oh and Ulith is shaping up to be more of a villain than Mayu herself.
Nocturnalux

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews