What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 pm

Fairy Tail 2014 episode 34
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Leo going for Happy is probably the most logical thing I've seen someone do in a fight against Natsu+Happy (as the one flying him)

CinniScrib

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:27 am

skreyola wrote:Code Geass Ep. 22: Monstrous. I already didn't like Lulu because of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the way he treats people like pawns, valuing their lives hardly at all, but now I dislike him so much I almost want him to fail completely. If the people he's up against weren't so bad...

Didn't like Lelouch at all through most of the show. There were little moments here and there where I sympathized with him, but overall, I couldn't stand him or most of the Black Knights (think that's what they were called) for that matter. lol, I was rooting for Britannia through a good deal of the show. lol, I know they were the bad guys and all that, but I couldn't help it.

Anyways:

Episode 10 of Aquarion Evol.

Episode 18 of Fate/Zero.

Episode 8 of Brynhildr in the Darkness.

Episode 9 of Kakumeiki Valvrave.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby EventualDay » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:51 am

I finally started watching Nagi no Asukara and it's so painful. I'm really enjoying it though; almost halfway through the series right now. I didn't watch it when it first aired because middle-school relationships drive me up a wall, but when I heard there was solid character development I gave it another shot.

It's kind of hard when you watch something that's already aired because then you don't have anyone to talk about it with, haha :P
EventualDay

Postby scribbledreamer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:40 pm

^I finished Nagi no Asukara about a month ago and I agree - the show hurts. I was also skeptical about the middleschool aspect, but the story telling is pheonomenal. It's a great show. :)

I'm four episodes into AnoHana.
scribbledreamer

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 8
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That sucks that Roland was murdered. He was a good guy.

CinniScrib

Postby skreyola » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions, ep. 9 - Before ep. 8, I was thinking about dropping this. At the end of ep. 8, I thought things were getting interesting. This time, I feel like there's finally a chance for this show to be really good, at least in the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: TogashixRikka arc, which kind of surprised me, since I was not at all interested in that arc possibility until now. I still find all the chunibyo stuff to be fairly painful to watch, but the idea that it's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Rikka's way of grieving makes it interesting and enjoyable, at least until one of the other chuni-girls starts doing delusional stuff. LOL at Mori's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: attempts to orchestrate a manga situation and failing repeatedly. Also in this ep: Deko is confusing. Is she SPOILER: Highlight text to read: really just playing at chunibyo, or is she remarkably adept at keeping up appearances in the classroom?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:06 am

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 8
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I never realized what a pretty boy kid King was until the anime came out. I swear he just looked like a kid in the manga and then the anime gives him LONG LASHES. And Guila is here! But oh man I forgot that Elaine died from the demon's attack that first hit Ban and went through him to her. But wow King, you left for 700 years? I forgot it was that long.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis episode 7

CinniScrib

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 am

EventualDay wrote:I finally started watching Nagi no Asukara and it's so painful. I'm really enjoying it though; almost halfway through the series right now. I didn't watch it when it first aired because middle-school relationships drive me up a wall, but when I heard there was solid character development I gave it another shot.

scribbledreamer wrote:^I finished Nagi no Asukara about a month ago and I agree - the show hurts. I was also skeptical about the middleschool aspect, but the story telling is pheonomenal. It's a great show. :)

I dropped Nagi no Asukara back when it was airing because lol middle school, but I've heard good things about it since then, so might also decide to give it another shot someday.

I've put my Hyouka rewatch back on the completed list. I'm not good at rewatching things, just not getting around to it right now and then it just sits there on my list taunting me.

Decided not to put Sailor Moon Crystal on hold though, since I think it will be 10 times harder to go back to it if I'm not keeping up with the release. However, with it and still watching weekly episodes of the original series, I think I'm reaching Sailor Moon saturation point.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 8

CinniScrib

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:01 am

GeneD wrote:I've put my Hyouka rewatch back on the completed list. I'm not good at rewatching things, just not getting around to it right now and then it just sits there on my list taunting me.

I'm not the best at re-watching shows as well. I end up just going back to certain episodes on a whim. There's just so much coming out these days that it's hard to keep up.

Anyway, I've been watching Star Driver in spurts and am up to episode thirteen. It is kind of interesting, but the storyline seems to have a set pattern with some reused scenes. That sort of vexes me, and I hope that it changes.
ForeverInspired

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Tamako Love Story movie (sub):

Well, even with the terrible fansubs (do that group of 'translators' even English? :eyebrow: :P ), this sequel movie was a good deal better than the original Tamako Market series was, IMO. :) For example, the TV series was extremely unsatisfying when it came to any sort of resolution of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mochizou's feelings (because there was literally not even a hint of resolution at all :shady: ); thankfully, however, that is precisely what this movie was meant to address (and it did a commendable job of it). :thumb:

Other random notes: Tamako's ideas for new mochi were :forehead: , Mochizou's school friends were surprisingly hilarious :grin: , and that very last scene was a pure joy to watch. :jump:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby skreyola » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Finished Code Geass last night. Well, I say finished, but one could hardly call that an ending. Not sure if I care enough about any of the characters to hunt around for a second season, if one exists. The only reason I got through that one was that I was mildly curious about what would happen to Nanali.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:08 pm

skreyola wrote:Finished Code Geass last night. Well, I say finished, but one could hardly call that an ending. Not sure if I care enough about any of the characters to hunt around for a second season, if one exists. The only reason I got through that one was that I was mildly curious about what would happen to Nanali.

There's definitely a second season if you are up for it. The ending of the first season is really just a cliffhanger to move you on to the second season, which has more drama and one of my favorite endings ever to one of my favorite shows as a whole.
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:27 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:
skreyola wrote:Finished Code Geass last night. Well, I say finished, but one could hardly call that an ending. Not sure if I care enough about any of the characters to hunt around for a second season, if one exists. The only reason I got through that one was that I was mildly curious about what would happen to Nanali.

There's definitely a second season if you are up for it. The ending of the first season is really just a cliffhanger to move you on to the second season, which has more drama and one of my favorite endings ever to one of my favorite shows as a whole.

Thank you for the information. Is there anywhere someone from the States can stream the second season? Does Lulu get any less annoying/heartless? I'm still not sure I want to find out where the chips fall.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:25 am

Finished up Fate/Zero--I really liked it! I really wanna see the new Fate/Stay Night now, but I'm gonna wait to see if it gets a dub. If not, I'll just watch it subbed.

My favorite characters were Rider, Kiritsugu Emiya, Lancer, and Waver Velvet.

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby artisticDreamer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 am

Just watched the first two episodes of Pandora Hearts, and I must say that I love it so far. I also watched the first episode of Puella Magi Madoka Magica (finally got the name right!).
Last edited by artisticDreamer on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artisticDreamer

Postby ForeverInspired » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:15 am

skreyola wrote:
ForeverInspired wrote:

Thank you for the information. Is there anywhere someone from the States can stream the second season? Does Lulu get any less annoying/heartless? I'm still not sure I want to find out where the chips fall.

No problem. I don't think that you can stream it anymore - I think the only way is to buy or borrow from the library or a friend. It's funny that you mention how annoying/heartless Lelouch is. I did find that to be the case myself, but I always wondered why it was so. Thus, I was not as bothered by it since I was trying to unravel his character. He was one of the more interesting characters to analyze, so I actually really liked him in this show. Lelouch does become a little less annoying and heartless in the second season (at points), but without spoiling the ending, I cannot say anything more. Basically, if that is the main issue with this show, this should not be as much of an issue by the end of both seasons.
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:35 am

ForeverInspired wrote:No problem. I don't think that you can stream it anymore - I think the only way is to buy or borrow from the library or a friend.
Basically, if that is the main issue with this show, this should not be as much of an issue by the end of both seasons.

Thank you again. I guess I will have to wait until it shows up somewhere.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 9
Seriously so much praise for this anime for giving the heroine development instead of keeping her helpless just for the sake of being protected and going "Kyyaaaa". Why not have a heroine who gets better and can still have assistance in protecting herself AND those she cares about? SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I get Su-Won is trying to make the country a better place but how he did it was really bad. Like trying to kill Yona who was innocent and on "his" side. And just how it all went down. Just, not liking you, buddy. Meanwhile the White Dragon descendant looks really cute and sincere, can't wait for the next episode!

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Been watching the Water 7 arc of One Piece lately since I had seen a random episode that was in that arc on adult swim. There's a lot of long recaps, which is a bit annoying. Its sad when the recap doesn't end until after the first commercial (not counting the one Crunchyroll shows before every episode). -__- I never thought I'd try One Piece, seeing as its one of the Big 3 and thus are very long running series. I'm thinking the best way to watch the show is by watching it in arcs, since its separated that way on Crunchyroll. There's no way I'd be able to watch the whole series if I want to watch other anime and still maintain good grades.

Except for the long recaps, I've been enjoying it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I felt so bad for Robin. Seriously, her life was awful. :( Luckily, its easy to figure out what happened since I didn't start at the beginning of the arc (again, time is limited these days).
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby skreyola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:29 pm

I started watching Acchi Kocchi tonight. It reminds me a lot of Hidamari Sketch, and so it should be an annoyingly cute show. It should be annoying, except... it's so funny, in a way that HS wasn't. Liking it okay, so far, except for the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: nosebleeds. That's not funny, and it seems kind of out of place, given its causes. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:00 am

I just watched Pandora Hearts episode 20. The most important thing that I learned in that episode was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Break can't get drunk Eliot has something to do with Glen
artisticDreamer

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:48 pm

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 9-10

Fairy Tail (2014) ep 35-36

CinniScrib

Postby LastLfan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Finally finished robotech The Macross Saga. Cheesy as expected, but oh so much deeper. The plots that formed in this show suprised me again and again, providing a very interesting look at war and life. Im not always a huge mecha fan, but this was a good show.
LastLfan

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 pm

The Rose of Versailles, episode 21.
mysngoeshere56

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:23 am

Rage of Bahamut ep 9

Akatsuki no Yona episode 10
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I love that Ki-ja and Hak are at odds with one another but I hope they go from tolerating each other to actually acknowledging the other and become friends.

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 10

CinniScrib

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 am

Soul Eater episode 17: Image
artisticDreamer

Postby TsubasaKamen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Just finished El Cazador and Mirai Nikki not long ago. (El Caz for the first time, Mirai Nikki for the third time.) I also finished watching the first season of Shakugan No Shana, and am presently 13 episodes into the anime Slayers.
"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 3:18.
TsubasaKamen

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:41 am

Serial Experiments Lain episodes 1-13 (complete, sub):

Well, I'm finally getting back around to working through some of my old backlog of recommendations that I'd been given a while ago :) , and the first of these on my viewing schedule was Lain.

This was a very interesting viewing experience. Its presentation was quite unconventional (throughout, though especially in the earlier episodes), the tone was often quite creepy (and I mean that in a good way), and I didn't know what the heck was going on half the time (and/or wasn't sure what was 'real' and what wasn't) until later on (which is actually intentional-- more on that in a moment)... and it was completely mesmerizing. Then, around halfway through, things really began to click and come together; and episode 9 was just pure genius, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: weaving historical events/phenomena from real life into the narrative via cuts to a 'documentary' that make what's going on quite clear. Also, I'd say that this is a series best marathoned, so that all of the details stay fresh-- because in this show the details are pretty much everything. Despite (or, more likely, because of) its unconventional presentation, this series is actually masterfully crafted so that every detail-- every expression, nearly every line of dialogue (even some seemingly throwaway lines delivered by random people via the Wired), and every little piece of in-universe history-- has weight, and all of them fit together like the pieces of a puzzle to make pretty much perfect sense of the whole, if you're careful to observe and remember and combine them. (This also makes it a series ripe for rewatching, which I will certainly do myself at some point.)

In short, it was quite cerebral, quite excellent, and I quite enjoyed it. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Nocturnalux » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Lain is absolutely brilliant, I make sure to rewatch it at least once every year.

Ao Haru Ride episode 11
This is indeed a very good romance series that breaks down plenty of clichés and for once has a heroine who is not hopelessly passive. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kou's backstory with the loss of his mother was rendered beautifully and elevated the whole series to a whole new level. It's a shame it is so much like Sukitte that I'm glad they did not air around the same time as it would have harmed both.

Finished Captain Earth. It is so average that it is even difficult to comment on. It's as if someone decided to put together every single common element in a mecha anime and mash them together. So we have the average teenage boy who ends up having to pilot the titular mecha in order to save the world from evil aliens; the sweet designer child boy who needs to connect to humans better; the super smart borderline loli hacker girl; and the fanservice designer girl who serves as love interest to the main. It's completely void of any tension, chock full of fanservice and has all the depth of a cardboard cut out.

Haikyuu! Episode 13
I actually hate volleyball. Was forced to play it at school and hated every single moment but this anime is precious. Part of is the character interaction, part of it is the very solid animation and the comedy that keeps everything grounded but there is something that goes beyond all that. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I am also glad that the main guys can and do lose. Granted, so far they have only had practice matches but it's still a good thing to see. Can hardly wait to see how the Inter-High prelims will go.

Yowapeda Grande Road Episode 10
Sheer brilliance. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Flashback episodes can be dull but this one was a gem. Getting to see Arakita going from a very bitter young man who just lost his dream of becoming a baseball player to a determined yet still snarky genius cyclist was wonderful to behold. Bonus points for seeing the Hakugaku seniors as first years, Toudou was every bit as cocky as ever and Fuku already was the perfect senpai.
Nocturnalux

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews