What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 5
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Glad we got the flashback of Ban getting his scar.

CinniScrib

Postby ForeverInspired » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Aldnoah.Zero - Completed

For all the negativity that this show attracts, I was expecting a complete letdown. Needless to say, I was surprised by how it turned out. Granted, I did have low expectations... so that might be a part of my reaction. I found the beginning was less interesting than the ending. I personally think that there are faults to this show (many), but I really don't care as long as the second season pulls through. From the set up of madness, this could be an epic second season. Now, I do have to add that if I wasn't so busy with college, I probably would be more frustrated with the wait though. At least it's airing next season - better than some other shows that never get the second season that they deserve.
ForeverInspired

Postby Cat96 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Fairy Tail episode 45 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I figured Fried would stop fighting eventually. I mean, he showed signs of doubt in previous episodes so it was bound to happen eventually. Although Mira's take-over is a bit revealing, I still loved how awesome she was during that fight. Also Lucy and Loke vs. Bixlow was so awesome! Gotta love what Loke did at the end after the fight. Typical Loke. :lol: I'm glad I got back into Fairy Tail after taking a several month long break. Minus the face-palm worthy fanservice, I'm really enjoying it.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:00 am

Episode 6 of Kakumeiki Valvrave--by far the worst episode so far. I used to like Rukino until this episode when we find out that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: she's just selfish and wants nothing but attention and to be famous, and that's her motivation for fighting the Dorrsians. Sorry, I can't respect that. You know a show is going downhill when you start rooting for the bad guys. Eh, hopefully the next episode is better.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:51 am

GeneD wrote:Mamoru Miyano is amazing incarnate.

Mamo-kun! <3 lol.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 5
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hak's little brother is so adorable! Hahah, go Yona! She totally got Hak off guard by being persistent and the "I WANT YOU!" Seriously go character development with not always being mopey and standing up to fight! Looks like the next episode is when Yona cuts her hair.

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Fairy Tail episode 59. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, I can't believe, wait I can believe, Angel made Aries fight Loke! Knowing Angel's personality, it makes sense she would do that, but still doing that is beyond cruel. Also Hibiki's magic is awesome! This whole Jellel thing is so confusing. I heard it gets cleared up later, so I look forward to hearing an explanation.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Finished Ouran High School Host Club! That was a very satisfactory ending, fittingly melodramatic, but mostly I'm just relieved it's all over. I enjoyed the ride, but don't really care to see any more.

GeneD wrote:Why's that? I don't remember the particulars of these epiosdes.

The main one I was talking about was where that guy...I forget his name, but he has red hair and a scary face and he gets a crush on Haruhi. When all the girls in the Host Club saw their (apparently yaoi, since none of them know Haruhi's a girl) romantic feelings, they all started squeeing and screaming "MOE!!!!" at the top of their lungs and begging the two of them to do XYZ...I just felt sick to the stomach. Fangirling on that level, feeling that intensity of moe about real people sitting right in front of them, is the main thing that disturbs me about this show (and a scary number of Ouran fans in real life). It's cheap emotional exploitation, and these girls have no sense of decency and are letting their fantasizing grow to unhealthy levels. Their only saving grace is that they're fictional :P
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Cat96 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:38 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Finished Ouran High School Host Club! That was a very satisfactory ending, fittingly melodramatic, but mostly I'm just relieved it's all over. I enjoyed the ride, but don't really care to see any more.

GeneD wrote:Why's that? I don't remember the particulars of these epiosdes.

The main one I was talking about was where that guy...I forget his name, but he has red hair and a scary face and he gets a crush on Haruhi. When all the girls in the Host Club saw their (apparently yaoi, since none of them know Haruhi's a girl) romantic feelings, they all started squeeing and screaming "MOE!!!!" at the top of their lungs and begging the two of them to do XYZ...I just felt sick to the stomach. Fangirling on that level, feeling that intensity of moe about real people sitting right in front of them, is the main thing that disturbs me about this show (and a scary number of Ouran fans in real life). It's cheap emotional exploitation, and these girls have no sense of decency and are letting their fantasizing grow to unhealthy levels. Their only saving grace is that they're fictional :P

Oh, how I remember Ouran. That was my first anime (that I actually watched for it being an anime). I remember how hilariously disturbing it is. It is a hilarious anime, and the characters get even more development in the manga. It is still the weirdest anime I've ever seen, and I watched Princess Jellyfish, which is pretty good (it also has a cross-dressing character in it).
Cat96

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Princess Jellyfish isn't all that weird though. Some of the characters are a bit weird, but the anime itself isn't very weird at all.

Mayaya is still the best.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Exlon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 pm

I've been watching Hetalia recently, but next to none of my friends think it's funny. I think it's pretty hilarious though, inapropro jokes aside. Maybe that's because I usually make fun of individual countries, and I grew up overseas, so I already got kind of an idea what people think of certain countries. I myself have said America has a hero complex, but everyone thinks I'm being rude and unpatriotic, so. But I also laughed when the character for China said something about one of his actions being due to the "arrogant nature of my people" because I'm half and I get it and I'm not even offended. xD
Last edited by Exlon on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exlon

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Nate wrote:Princess Jellyfish isn't all that weird though. Some of the characters are a bit weird, but the anime itself isn't very weird at all.

Never though about it that way, but you're right.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 5-6
I love the opening song of this anime. Reminds me of the early 2000 animes

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Fairy Tail episode 84. Wow, I'm going through these episodes quickly. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was so looking forward to seeing Edo Natsu. I hope to see him interact with Edo Lucy soon. XD I seriously wonder how it will go, knowing how Edo Lucy treated Earthland Natsu. :lol: Poor Natsus!
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:33 am

Episode 7 of Kakumeiki Valvrave--Great episode! This was a big step up from the last one. Allot of interesting stuff happened in this one, and I'm really starting to like L-elf and A-drei. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I also really liked Aina, unfortunately she died in this episode, which I felt was way too predictable.

Episode 5 of Brynhildr in the Darkness--this show seriously reminds me of Elfen Lied. I know the same guy created both of them, but still...

Episode 17 of Fate/Zero-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Poor Lancer, he didn't really have a dignifying death. This show is still awesome, though!
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby skreyola » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Mawaru Penguindrum Completed... uh... ... what the heck did I just watch?
That made even less sense than Haibane Renmai.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:41 am

Rage of Bahamut ep 6

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 6
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm so glad they show a flashback of Mattis and Borkas when they were younger. They're so adorable!

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru episode 5

CinniScrib

Postby ForeverInspired » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 pm

skreyola wrote:Mawaru Penguindrum Completed... uh... ... what the heck did I just watch?
That made even less sense than Haibane Renmai.

That's the whole point of the show... just kidding (maybe). I was a little lost too. Just try to take it one piece at a time - "take off the layers of symbolism". Nonetheless, there will still be some confusing parts. You are not alone. :)
ForeverInspired

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:51 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 6
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hak is seriously a beast, he's fighting against how many guys while POISONED. In all, the Lord Tae-jun gets what's coming since he didn't respect Yona, he just thought her to be a tool/prize. He wants her for himself/access to power and loves her in his twisted way. Uuugh I know it's only episode 26 but I want to see Su-won to get what's coming to him/show that he actually was manipulated and has a change of heart. Yona is getting more determined which is awesome.

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 am

Nanatsu no Taizai ep 6

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Fairy Tail 2014 episode 32-33
May I just say that for this filler arc that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Capricon got the short end of the stick LITERALLY with his "rebel/reverse" design? Like as well, it's literally "meh" evoking (nice play on the onomatopoeia) but just not... interesting. Which maybe that's the humor behind it. It makes YOU go "meh"
At least they're tying this arc into being an effect from the canon Eclipse arc. Otherwise it's like: what made the 12 Spirits become like this?

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 7
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I really like Roland, he's just doing his duty but he'd make a great ally.

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:27 am

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 7

CinniScrib

Postby Cadence » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:31 am

I recently saw The Tale of Princess Kaguya, which was very enjoyable, though not my favorite Ghibli movie so far. I adored the soundtrack and the art style was incredibly lovely. I want to watch it again!
Cadence

Postby staledogg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:57 pm

I've been watching Hi-Scool Seha Girl on crunchyroll. It's all about anthropomorphic versions of the Sega Mega Drive(Genesis), Dreamcast and Sega Saturn going to school. The in jokes are hilarious.
I want to know if I can live with what I know...and only that.
staledogg

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 am

Akatsuki no Yona episode 7
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: AHAHAHA BLESS YONA!! She didn't realize he wanted to kiss her XD Headbutting him, YEAH! Finally we learn about the creation myth with the dragons and the emperor dragon. TIME TO FIND THE WARRIORS!

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 7
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I completely forgot that King tried to kill Ban when they reunited... Man how could I forget he knew that Ban knew Elaine?

CinniScrib

Postby skreyola » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Code Geass Ep. 22: Monstrous. I already didn't like Lulu because of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the way he treats people like pawns, valuing their lives hardly at all, but now I dislike him so much I almost want him to fail completely. If the people he's up against weren't so bad...
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby faithb4sight » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 pm

It's been awhile since I have been able to watch any anime, but yesterday I was able to finish The Devil is a Part-Timer. I went into the anime very skeptically, given the title - but I had heard good things about it from a trusted source so I gave it a try.

I was pleasantly surprised - "the devil" was more of a character who just happened to go by that name rather than the "devil" himself - at least that is the way I understood things. In most of the anime, he actually goes by the name Sadao Maou.

The anime was light and humorous - with very little fan-service compared to others of this comedy genre (i.e. Good Luck Girl). I'd watch it again sometime if I got bored - it was only 13 episodes long.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Darker Than Black - ep. 18

Black Butler - ep. 5
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Cardcaptor Sakura episodes 1-70 + the sequel movie The Sealed Card (all in sub):

I had seen a couple random ep.'s of the (apparently pretty butchered... :sweat: ) old 'CardCaptors' version on TV when I was a kid, and was completely entranced by what I'd seen of it at the time (in fact, I actually learned the 'maze trick'-- the surefire way to keep from getting lost, and {eventually} find the exit, if you're inside a maze-- from one of those randomly-caught episodes, and that has always stuck with me for some weird reason, LOL); however, despite that, for whatever reason I somehow never actually got around to watching it properly (which I suppose was probably a good thing, given the edits and all, LOL :P ). Anyway, about a year or so ago (I think?) I finally got around to reading the manga, and while it was good, I had a few issues with its pacing in the beginning and several story elements later on; so, while it was certainly worth the read for me, it wasn't quite what I had been expecting, LOL. Then, a few months ago, I decided to start watching the (unedited, of course!) anime, as well, purely for nostalgia purposes-- and I'm quite glad I did! :jump:

Adaptations that not only do justice to their original source material but actually do so in such quality that they turn out to be even *better* are unfortunately fairly rare (and you all know my opinions on *that* sad state of affairs :P ). However, I am happy to say that-- minus a few beefs I have with the ending (more on that in a minute)-- this anime adaptation is (almost entirely) one of those few. :thumb: Even the stuff that got added-- for example, the whole Syaoran-having-a-fiancée thing (which I had expected to find annoying, but which actually turned out to have been done surprisingly well, and I even truly liked her character quite a bit), and the extra cards, etc.-- were woven in pretty brilliantly (and completely true to both the heart of the characters as well as the heart of the story). It even fixed almost everything I had issues with in the manga-- for example, the thing with Rika and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the teacher. In the manga, well... let's just face it, that was weird as heck. :?: (Indeed, that particular 'relationship' in the CCS manga actually strained my credulity past its breaking point as I was reading it. :sweat: ) However, the anime toned this down quite a bit (while simultaneously building it up a little better at the same time), to the point where it's (thankfully :P :) ) up to you to decide whether you think that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Terada reciprocated her feelings or not. And that's just one example.

All that said, though, while those are all obviously huge points in the anime's favor, the adaptation's ending does have some issues. Not only is the second (and nearly 100% anime-original, although actually quite excellent in and of itself-- as I am obviously not reluctant to admit, given the MAL score that I gave it! :thumb: ) movie, The Sealed Card, necessary viewing to get emotional closure with Sakura and Syaoran's relationship, there were more than a few other details that were lost near/at the ending of the TV show, as well-- a few examples being the reason Touya had random part-time jobs like everywhere (which IIRC wasn't really outright stated in the anime, but which was pretty clearly explained in the manga), certain details about Clow/Eriol, Kaho Mizuki, and Eriol *and* Kaho, the interesting little SPOILER: Highlight text to read: dividing-the-power thing with Fujitaka (which, in the manga, led to quite a nice emotional touch with him and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nadeshiko), and of course the aforementioned Sakura x Syaoran closure, which-- although the eventual outcome is the same :) -- was done very differently than it was in the manga. So, while the series + movie certainly did a fairly good job with the ending, I do think that the manga's ending was better overall in terms of fleshing out and wrapping up certain points.

TL;DR: Other than those slightly odd cuts from and differences in the ending, to my pleasant surprise I did actually enjoy nearly all of the anime (series + movie) *more* than the manga-- and, really, it's just such a classic and so darn feel-good that I definitely recommend it regardless. :) Only caveats would be to remember to watch the second movie after finishing the TV series; possibly read some of the manga's ending, at least, after that to wrap up a few more details; and, of course, in case you didn't know about it already, be aware of the whole SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Touya x Yukito thing (...although, I suppose that is at least somewhat mitigated by the fact that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yukito's true form is a technically-genderless magical being, but still... :P ). :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews