What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby skreyola » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 am

TheBlueRose22 wrote:Rose Of Versailles. So far, on episode 20 and...WOW! It's so awesome!

Did you like it from the start, or did it take a few episodes to get good?
I started watching it, but I didn't get very far before I stalled out. Didn't really feel like dropping it, but I think it would be easier for me to take another run at it if I knew it picked up a bit later on.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Watched One Piece Episode 373! I can almosttaste the gap finally closing! My schoolwork will suffer when I can finally watch hundreds of remaining One Piece episodes...

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Cat96 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle episode 20 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I wasn't expecting Syaoran to have that issue with his eye. I mean, he always fights with kicking, but I just thought that was because he was good at it.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Episode 22 of Blast of Tempest--Only two more episodes to go!

Episode 14 of Attack on Titan--So, I finally got around to watching another episode, and I gotta say, this was probably one of the best so far. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: lol, Levi beat the living daylights (along with a tooth) out of Eren. I suspect Mikasa is going to want to avenge Eren, even if Levi was just doing it all for show.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby hangten08 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:17 am

What's Blast of Tempest like? How would you describe it? Could you compare it to some other shows?
hangten08

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 2
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Zion is scum, I hope he gets killed. Really the near rape scene...

Fairy Tail 2014 episode 28
I think this was actually a special chapter for Fairy Tail, and it's not a filler... either way, sidestory development/background of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Bisca. I'm pretty sure it was a mini chapter but I can't remember, but it seemed familiar.

CinniScrib

Postby TheBlueRose22 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 am

I started watching it, but I didn't get very far before I stalled out. Didn't really feel like dropping it, but I think it would be easier for me to take another run at it if I knew it picked up a bit later on.

I liked it from the start. Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of this certain period of time. It certainly is a character-centric anime, and the animation is dated (but in its defense, it WAS an 80s anime) but I say if you love animes with strong character development, historical settings, and a complex plot that ties together fiction and non-fiction, then I'd say to give it another chance. I would say, however, that it's best to have some working knowledge on late 18th century France before watching.
TheBlueRose22

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Nanatsu no Taizai episode 2
AAAAAH thank GOD a new translator and subber. Though it'd be nice if they translated locations and titles cards.... *grumbles* SPOILER: Highlight text to read: How nice we actually see a short segment of Elizabeth escaping the castle so it gives some insight into how she got away. Otherwise in the manga you have no idea how she got away while her sisters were captured/out on a mission or how her dad got holed up in a room. Though the translator can use some work... "they died when they died during an epidemic" Otherwise better overall! Just still Meliodas is such a pervert, keep on him, Hawk! Next up is Diane! Yaay! Oh Gilthunder, you big jerk...

CinniScrib

Postby skreyola » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:06 pm

TheBlueRose22 wrote:

if you love animes with strong character development, historical settings, and a complex plot that ties together fiction and non-fiction, then I'd say to give it another chance.

Okay, thanks. This is a lot of the stuff I like, so I probably will. I may not have been in the right mood when I watched it before.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Randomly re-watching Troadora!

It's good.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Cat96 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle episode 25 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I figured it was all some sort of game. I was sad when Fai "died" though, despite knowing that it was very unlikely that he was actually dead. He's one of my favorite characters.

I also finished Attack on Titan episode 2 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was honestly expecting the blood and gore to be worse. I can see why people like it so much. I felt like I had been on a roller coaster after watching it.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32 am

hangten08 wrote:What's Blast of Tempest like? How would you describe it? Could you compare it to some other shows?

Don't really have time to summarize it for you so I'll just post a link to MAL's article on it: http://myanimelist.net/anime/14075/Zetsuen_no_Tempest

Compare it to other shows? Here is MAL's list of recommendations for fans of Blast of Tempest: http://myanimelist.net/anime/14075/Zets ... t/userrecs
To be honest though, I've seen Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Guilty Crown, and Darker Than Black; and I wouldn't say it's really like any of those shows (maybe a combination of all of them in a way). I haven't seen another anime like it so far. If anything, I'd compare it to Supernatural (especially early on, I feel there are similarities between the two shows).

Anyways, it's really good, and I'd highly recommend it at this point (I still have two episodes to go).

Also, try to keep questions about anime you haven't seen and/or are curious about in the "Anime Recommendations" thread. The people who check it regularly could probably answer any questions you have allot better than I can.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby GeneD » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:57 am

Giant Robo the Animation: The Day the Earth Stood Still ep 7 END(?):

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so if, in the first 5 minutes of the first episode, they had let Big Fire have the samples, about 90% of the death and tragedy would not have happened. If Prof Franken von Fogler had set his dying hologram to go off earlier, like say, right after he died in his son’s arms, about 90% of the death and tragedy would not have happened. That is priceless. Absolutely priceless.

The last two episodes went a long way in redeeming this in my eyes. For most of the show I was seriously missing whatever everyone else saw that makes it so hyped. The Magnificent Ten played a large role in my enjoyment of those eps and I would have loved to see more of them. They were gloriously and ridiculously amazing (that melty panther was fantastic) much more than all but a handful of the good guys. (About half of which died for apparently no reason as it turns out.) I stand by my previous opinion that Daisaku is an annoying and whiny, but Ginrei and Ganya got a little more bearable. Like I said before maybe my expectations were too high or maybe I'm just a terrible person and it doesn't resonate with me as much as it does with others. Overall I’m glad I watched it though and I think it would probably benefit from re-watches but I’m not really gonna join the “recommend Giant Robo to everything that breaths” camp anytime soon.

Sailor Moon, just some random thoughts.

ep 41: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Way to go Makoto, saving the guy from the friend zone Dark Kingdom. This is why she's the best.

ep 42: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm getting a little sick of Usagi's random crying and moaning. Great little comeback for the transformation pen, haven't seen it in a while. Also nice having some focus on Sailor Venus, I liked how she’s portrayed as the more grown up of the guardians.

ep 43: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally the sailor guardians try out a plan/trap of their own, with about just as mush success as one of Kunzite’s recent plans.

ep 44: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Of course it should be obvious since they’re all re-incarnations(?), but it’s kinda “shocking” 1) that all the guardians basically got slaughtered in the past and 2) that they don’t beat around the bush about it. That last part is a good thing too. Also there goes my early theory that Serenity’s mom was the big bad.

Only 2 episodes left! It’s been quite a fun ride and if Viz/Hulu go straight into the next season (I think they will), I’m totally just gonna keep watching.

Sailor Moon Crystal ep 7: Since it’s so long after the ep and having just commented on the original above I get a bit confused about what happened in which series. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Interesting that Beryl isn’t really loyal to Metalia. Hooray for Dark Kingdom Kings who aren’t dead (yet).

Colourful Colorful: A good movie but not as good as I was expecting. No idea really where my expectations came from though, besides the interesting premise. I think it tried to cover too much, making it feel bloated and too long, so would have benefited from trimming some fat. The end was unfortunately rather predictable too.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis ep ___
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The golems popping out of the wall was pretty awesome. On the bright side of this anime, it's nice to see a diverse cast of PoC characters instead of just about being European white or Asian pale like a lot of anime characters. And we have a main character who isn't white, YAY.
Last edited by CinniScrib on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CinniScrib

Postby Nate » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Sailor Venus, I liked how she’s portrayed as the more grown up of the guardians.

ha ha ha ha ha oh man

Yeah that doesn't last long.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AkjACEKids » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Knights of Sidonia. It's very good. It's rated MA, but really, that's a ridiculous rating. That show should be PG, 14 at most. I'm also watching everyone's favorite rom-com anime, Ouran High School Host Club. I mean seriously, who doesn't love Ouran?
AkjACEKids

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:52 am

Nate wrote:ha ha ha ha ha oh man

Yeah that doesn't last long.

oh great

Sailor Moon ep 45: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Putting aside the trauma of having everyone die, the Dark Kingdom should clearly have sent these youma out right off the bat. Super effective youma are super effective. We would have had a much shorter show though. Also, apologies to Kunzite, whose death I kinda just forgot about, by the end of this ep I was like "where's Kunzite in all this?" and had to go look it up. Shame, he was really my least liked of the four Kings.

ep 46 END: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mmmm I found it to be a bit of a whiplash ending. Extended sequence of Beryl and Usagi getting blown up... And then suddenly everyone's 100% back to normal with just a "thank goodness they reincarnated" from Luna. Okay I get that it's from Usagi wishing for it right at the end there and idk, the Silver Crystal's power just made it happen. But it was still rather jarring, though I guess an excellent way to series-reboot.

Overall I enjoyed it. It hasn't dated too badly and can still be fun for fans who don't have the added nostalgia of watching it as a kid. Bring on series 2, kicking off with a filler arc I believe.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Yeah, Doom Tree arc is filler. It's not terrible I guess, though some things are kinda dumb.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Akatsuki no Yona episode 2
I have to say not many recent animes have an instrumental opening. Most are pop songs or something with some kind of singing. This really does remind me of 12 Kingdoms in that regard. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm looking forward to seeing princess Yona's character development as already from episode 1 we see how she'll be before they flashed back to current anime events until they catch up to the opening scene (with is the future).

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:04 am

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 1 and 2
By Studio Ghibli! Their first CGI project! What's nice is that they blend CGI characters with digitally painted backgrounds/scenery! It really feels like a traditional Ghibli film with the layout and beautiful backgrounds. The animation style of movement is classic Ghibli (like how early/golden era anime was like, such as Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Man Lovis is hardcore, she just had Ronja and here she comes down the STAIRS carrying her. May I say I'm so happy they didn't go with a "mother dies in childbirth" scenario, leaving the main character with one parent (namely the father who most of the time is a big shot). Lovis reminds me of the mom from Castle in the Sky in terms of not putting up with nonsense and speaking her mind (but still being amazing). Everyone sitting around while feeding Ronja is killing me though in believability since it's what I do for one of my jobs; help feeding a baby/near one year old is so like this omogsh. I'm relating to it so badly (the making faces, saying om, the baby waving hands and splattering food... oh yes.)
The 2D drawings for the credits at the end give you an idea as to what the concepts looked like and how it'd appear as a traditional 2D Ghibli creation.

CinniScrib

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:19 pm

Finished up Blast of Tempest. I really enjoyed this show, and I'm actually kind of sad that I'm done with it. There are some anime that are good, but I'm glad when I finish them up and move onto to something else. That's not the case with this show though. I enjoyed almost every minute of it, and it's definitely one of the best anime I've seen up to this point.

Favorite characters: Yoshino, Hakaze
Though, to be honest, all the characters were great in this show; and the chemistry between them made it very entertaining.

Yeah, I really don't have much to say other than: I loved it! Go watch it!

Thunderscream872

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Ouran High School Host Club episode 19

...Well, that was a bit more disturbing than I was expecting =_= Especially Benibara's fangirls.... *shudders and hides under the covers*
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby skreyola » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 pm

@CinniScrib: Where is that streaming?

Saw Ep. 1 of Shirobako, and I have no idea what's going on, but I'm loving it, so far. So many characters to keep up with. MC can't decide if she wants to draw anime or be a street racer. I'm not sure where the other girls from HS are, but I imagine they'll show up again, soon. I hope I learn a lot from this. I may have to watch the episodes twice, as there's a lot going on. :)

Ep. 2 of Denki-Gai: This might be a great show, but I'm not liking the fanservice levels. Annoying. If it doesn't get better, I'll be dropping this one.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:29 pm

skreyola wrote:@CinniScrib: Where is that streaming?

Saw Ep. 1 of Shirobako, and I have no idea what's going on, but I'm loving it, so far. So many characters to keep up with. MC can't decide if she wants to draw anime or be a street racer. I'm not sure where the other girls from HS are, but I imagine they'll show up again, soon. I hope I learn a lot from this. I may have to watch the episodes twice, as there's a lot going on. :)

Ep. 2 of Denki-Gai: This might be a great show, but I'm not liking the fanservice levels. Annoying. If it doesn't get better, I'll be dropping this one.

I honestly have no idea... I'm watching it on a cartoon/anime site so I can't say, just google Sanzoku no Musume Ronja and you'll see sites listing it. Otherwise if you look up Ronia the Robber's Daughter you get different results since the series is based on the book, some of them talking about the anime but the other is more specific to the anime. I have no idea if it's streaming legally, it doesn't seem to be since Hulu or Funimation don't have it. And I don't think Crunchyroll has it.

The Legend of Korra Season 4 Episode 3
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Toph was the best part of the episode. Not just because she was in it but I missed her character as well, omogsh. I hope she's in the next one too and she's in this book more than just one full episode.

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Angel Beats! episode 13. Okay, the episode said "end" but there's still one more episode. I'm confused. :dizzy: :eyebrow: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm guessing the high school is in an area beyond time. That's the only way to explain why Kanade came to that school before Otonashi despite the fact that he died before her.

Origin: Spirits of the Past (movie). I saw it listed in the reviews here and decided to try it out. I thought it was a decent/good movie overall.

Edit: It says there's one more episode on hulu.
Last edited by Cat96 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Fate/Zero episode 15.

Attack on Titan episode 18.

Bleach episode 41.

Thunderscream872

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 am

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja episode 3
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The Gray Dwarfs are like a cross between an owl and a penguin with a bird's skull for a face...

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Say "I love you" episode 11. I felt like giving the romance genre a chance so I thought I'd give the show a shot. I was expecting it to be awful, but it is surprisingly better than it looks. Despite my issues with certain parts of the show, it is oddly somewhat enjoyable. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: My biggest issue is with what Akito and Yamako did. It did affect my liking of the show a bit. After they stopped talking about what she did though, she (Akito) became a pretty cool character. I like the characters and their development in the series. I also liked how the antagonists were shown to also be real people with real feelings and problems. I honestly felt bad for some of the antagonists at certain points SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (even the model girl who's name I forget) . Not one of my favorites, but certainly not a waste of my time.

Why must Gosick be so hard to find? I saw that it used to be on Crunchyroll, but apparently it was taken down. It isn't on hulu either. :comp: :bang: I really want to watch this because I heard people comparing it to Heaven's Memo Pad and it sounded good.
Cat96

Postby FourFourSeven » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Recent: "Another" (Final Grade: B+)

Now: "Baccano!" and "Guilty Crown"

Next: "Kimi no Todoke"
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby skreyola » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 pm

FourFourSeven wrote:Next: "Kimi ni Todoke"

Good choice. I'm currently rewatching that with family.
Anime List
skreyola

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews