What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 am

Finished FLCL....worst anime I've completed. I'm sorry if some people like this show. That's totally cool if you do, but it just isn't for me. My favorite characters were Mamimi Samejima and Amarao--in fact they were probably the only two character in there that I liked at all...

On a more positive note, I watched the first episode of Fate/Zero, and it seems pretty promising.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Jonathan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 pm

I recently started watching the Japanese Version of One Piece and the Dub of Cowboy Bebop.
I like both so far.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:12 pm

After finding a fansub group that actually has QC and people that speak fluent English subbing it, I find I'm enjoying Sailor Moon Crystal a lot more. I'm loving the story and the music is fantastic, but hey, it's Revo, it's to be expected.

The animation is still spotty. Episode 2 seemed the worst to me, with bad faces and derp eyes all over the place. Episode 3 seemed a little better although there were absolutely places that had subpar quality. Episode 3 also shows that Crystal is NOT a faithful manga adaptation, as Jadeite did not die to Sailor Mars' attack. This is interesting and I'm curious to see why they kept Jadeite alive, and what it means for the plot going forward.

Now as far as the quality goes, I saw this post in a thread about Sailor Moon on another site:

So, the scheduling issue. Why is the schedule so ****ing bad? And it is bad - episode 4 isn't even remotely complete and is probably going to be a disaster (the majority of footage from the preview is recycled). Toei has notoriously bad scheduling even at the best of times; Heartcatch looks good because Umakoshi corrects like a madman and Smile probably just got lucky. However, right now, Toei has the largest workload they've ever had; they're making 6 weekly shows on top of Crystal. Every single show they're making is suffering from a complete lack of available staff to get things done on time. Crystal is suffering the most. I don't know why and I don't know enough about Toei's internal workings to speculate but its a shame because I trust the key staff to do things right if they had the resources.

The only good news is that at least one of those weekly shows is ending in Fall. We can only hope a couple others do. They aren't exactly making a lot of money.

I don't know how he/she knows that the episode isn't completed yet, but it IS true that the episode 4 preview is almost all scenes from previous episodes, which would at least imply that they haven't animated a lot of the episode yet (since if they had, they would put it in the preview). I really do hope that Toei can focus more on Crystal to make it a much better show than it is. It is kind of a shame that this being the huge reboot of the franchise, they are kind of dropping the ball on it pretty hard.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby skreyola » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Watching Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. It could benefit from a little less gender humor, but I always end up cackling like a fiend when I watch this show... sometimes starting in the pre-title segment. I'm enjoying it a lot in spite of the flaws.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:00 am

Captain Earth episode 18
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: HAH! Bless them for calling it as it is, like a monkey in heat. DUH GOING AFTER EVERY GIRL IN THE BUILDING. I seriously hope Hitomi is the one that kills PUCK out of jealousy. Especially if we're going Shakespeare themed LET IT NOT BE A MAN THAT DOES IT IN. Meanwhile I want to put something nasty in Salty Dog's coffee cups. Poison maybe.

Space Dandy Season 2 Episode 5

CinniScrib

Postby GeneD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Sailor Moon ep 23 - 24: Wow the title of some episodes spoil things amazingly. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sad to see Nephrite and his awesome car go, but at least the slightly squicky romance bit is gone too. I know Nephrite is apparently 19 but he seemed a lot older, like middle to late 20's. Naru's line "Do evil organisations give you days off on Sundays?" was hilarious and redeemed that particular plot point though.
25 - 26: Whoo Sailor Jupiter, I like her already. I think her transformation sequence is my fav after Usagi's. I don't know what I think about the hinted Naru x Umino pairing.

I'm wondering how much Crystal is gong to "spoil" me for things in this show, considering how much slower the pacing is for this, I hope not too much.

Captain Earth ep 18: If only this show was about three mecha pilots gone AWOL in a desert, having adventures, occasionally fighting off drones come to look for them and mostly sitting around eating the endless supply of bento lunches one of the guys' girlfriends made for him. Alas.

Haikyuu!! ep 18: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Goodbye Dateko and your ridiculously catchy cheer. This ep wasn't as spectacular as last week, barring that epic foot save and the last spike, and one can't help but feel that they won with the help of a large amount of plot armor. Which makes me curious to see how they (the players and the makers of the show) will handle the next challenge.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders ep 18: I love that each Stand is defeated in a different manner than the last, even if some of them, like this one, comes across as anticlimactic.

I also watched the Tonari no Seki-kun OVA and specials. It was fun seeing those characters and their antics again.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby nln_rose » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 pm

right now i've got a couple noir, kino's journey, shining hearts, RWBY, and SAO II.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 am

Everything I've watched recently:

Up to episode 5 of Gungrave (watching episode 6 as I type this). I gotta say, I really enjoy this show so far, and I didn't initially think I would. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm really curious as to how Brandon Heat becomes "Beyond the Grave" or "Grave". I really don't know how the show is gonna tie everything into the first episode (which feels completely different than the rest of the show up to this point).

Episode 1 of Aquarion Evol--Liked the first episode, though I think I'm gonna put it on hold for now since I've been pretty addicted to Gungrave.

Episode 23 of Bleach-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ever since Ichigo and his friends invaded the Soul Society, the show has really felt reminiscent of Yu Yu Hakusho.

Episode 4 of Fate/Zero-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Awesome fight scene in this episode.

Have watched much of Attack on Titan or Space Dandy lately, gotta get caught up on those.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby skreyola » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Finished up Is the Order a Rabbit?. It was okay... fun, but kinda of pointless. I like SoL, but usually something changes over the course of a season. This one just felt kind of fluffy, NPI. Good, but not at all great.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Clannad After Story episodes 18-19

Okay, I caved in. I cried buckets when Ushio said, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Sanae-san said there were two places I could cry. In the bathroom, and in Daddy's arms." :waah!: OH MY GAAAAAWSH :waah!: I'm...not completely sure what there is left to tie up, but there's like five episodes left.... We'll see.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby skreyola » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Yeah, that got me, too, in spite of myself.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby John_Smith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:15 pm

^ When I get down to watching After Story, I shall resist.

So... I've watched a lot of anime since I last posted in here, and I want to write a lot about each one, but I'll have to control myself. Here it goes:

Clannad. At first I shied away from this because of the harem genre. If you're like me, don't be scared off my the harem genre. It's a good anime, both funny and sad. I'll watch the After Story sometime this year, probably. 7.

Shakugan no Shana Final: A vast improvement of the previous seasons. They finally got rid of the love triangle, and the plot was amazing. That, paired with what might be my favorite opening, I give thou a 7. Would have been higher if only Yuji's actions made sense.

Nanana's Buried Treasure: 9. I'm guessing most people dropped this within the first two episodes because of the fan service. Which is sad, because as the series wears on, the fanservice decreases and instead the show get's wittier. If you at all like the idea of a group of three-six people, constantly trying to outwit each other to steal treasure coupled with banters, only for the next episode to have them all working together to outsmart real villains, only to try and outwit each other the next episode, then this is an anime for you. Since I like that kind of stuff, this was a good anime :thumb:
Although the anime went above my expectations, I only initially added this to my list only because of this hat. You know, that one. It's awesome.

Selector Infected WIXOSS: This was a mistake; I wasn't supposed to watch it. Somehow, I got it confused with Mekakucity Actors (more on that below) and watched this one instead. It turned out alright, although with an ending that makes Shakespeare look like he works for Disney. Word on the web says that there's going to be another season, so I'll be waiting on that. Another 7.

Mekakucity Actors. 8. I love it when I watch an anime for some arbitrary reason, and it turns out to be amazing. Thus was the case with this. Following Nanana's Buried Treasure, I have become a fan of Kana Asumi (the voice actress of both Nanana’s Tansai and Mekakucity’s Ene). For that reason, I decided to watch this (after somehow mixing this up with WIXOSS). Complicated and artful, and I love ensemble casts like this.
John_Smith

Postby Furen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 pm

The two I've been working on forever are Little Busters and Code Geass
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 pm

John_Smith wrote:^ When I get down to watching After Story, I shall resist.

Clannad. At first I shied away from this because of the harem genre. If you're like me, don't be scared off my the harem genre. It's a good anime, both funny and sad. I'll watch the After Story sometime this year, probably. 7.

It's worth a try. ;)

re: Clannad, it really doesn't play like a harem show. There are lots of girls, but he doesn't seem all that interested in any of them, at least as I saw it when I watch the show. And they don't throw themselves at him, possibly because they see him as being tied pretty strongly to his OTP from fairly early in the show.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus episode 5
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Snake and all his different voices for this snakes... it's so wonderful I can't get over it haha

Legend of Korra Book 3 episode 10
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: There had been mentions of a sub-type of airbending and I had a feeling it was taking away someone's breath! For years people debated that's how airbenders/Aang could take out an opponent (either kill them or just make them breathless enough to pass out) but of course, as peaceful nomads, they don't do that. Now here we go! WOW! Killed the Earth Queen though I'm not sorry to see her go. Just not that way. CHAOS ENSUE.

Fairy Tail 2014 episode 19
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Elf and Evergreen... They're a gag couple but I seriously love them haha but seriously the Fairy Tail anime is killing me with Cobra/Erik. HNNNG.

CinniScrib

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:31 am

GeneD wrote:Sailor Moon ep 23 - 24: Wow the title of some episodes spoil things amazingly. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sad to see Nephrite and his awesome car go, but at least the slightly squicky romance bit is gone too. I know Nephrite is apparently 19 but he seemed a lot older, like middle to late 20's. Naru's line "Do evil organisations give you days off on Sundays?" was hilarious and redeemed that particular plot point though.
I'm wondering how much Crystal is gong to "spoil" me for things in this show, considering how much slower the pacing is for this, I hope not too much.

The Naru/Nephrite romance is hands down one of the best things in the anime because it gave personality and made people invested in a character that was horribly minor in the manga, and a villain that nobody ever really cared about because sadly Naoko Takeuchi is bad at writing compelling villains.

By the way the first anime may be slower paced but I feel like it's still really good, okay the Nephrite stuff does drag on a BIT but it's pretty great from here on out until, well...

I will pray for you when you reach SuperS.

Nate

Postby GeneD » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 am

Nate wrote:The Naru/Nephrite romance is hands down one of the best things in the anime because it gave personality and made people invested in a character that was horribly minor in the manga, and a villain that nobody ever really cared about because sadly Naoko Takeuchi is bad at writing compelling villains.

That's a good point. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was pleased that they actually show how much Nephrite's death affects Naru, since other shows might just breeze over something like that. Despite what I said about "squicky", there was real potential for a compelling relationship, which makes his death all the more sad.
Based on what you said about the manga, kudos to the show for making me care about/miss both Jadeite and Nephrite by the time they die. I was surprised when I heard Jadeite bites the dust so (relatively) soon in the manga.

I've actually had no problem with the pacing and have enjoyed it consistently so far. Which is a bit unusual for me, since I've gotten impatient before with similar repetitive/monster of the week elements in other shows. (Although none of those have been straight magical girl shows.) I guess two episodes a week is just the right amount.

I will pray for you when you reach SuperS.

Oh good, I'll need it will I? ^__^;
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:58 pm

GeneD wrote:Oh good, I'll need it will I? ^__^;

SuperS is pretty bad. The Amazon Trio are sort of cool villains but once the Amazoness Quartet show up the show is beyond redemption. The problem is that lots of people don't like Chibiusa, and she is the star of the show in SuperS. Her romantic involvement with horse guy and her continuing efforts to romance her dad are really weird and it brings the show down. It also doesn't help that the outer Senshi which show up in S don't show up at all in SuperS, and the ending is really unsatisfying. It's widely considered to be the bottom of the barrel in Sailor Moon.

Fortunately the first 10 or so episodes of Stars are sort of an apology letter for how bad SuperS was.

Nate

Postby nln_rose » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:41 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Clannad After Story episodes 18-19

Okay, I caved in. I cried buckets when Ushio said, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Sanae-san said there were two places I could cry. In the bathroom, and in Daddy's arms." :waah!: OH MY GAAAAAWSH :waah!: I'm...not completely sure what there is left to tie up, but there's like five episodes left.... We'll see.

If you haven't already found this out the end makes it all with it. I have to agree that the show made me cry(and I don't even usually cry at almost anything.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 am

Episode 26 of Bleach. Love the second opening and the third outro songs!

Episode 10 of Gungrave

Thunderscream872

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 am

Captain Earth episode 19
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Gotta love how Puck is split between two persons now but it's still the same mind, it's just conversing with itself. Meanwhile next week looks like the Knights will have some internal sabotage since Ai is in the base!

Space Dandy Season 2 Episode 6
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's nice to see more of Hunny besides her just appearing at Boobies as a waitress. Though I'm going to murder the random glitter giggly laugh sound effect. Though Hunny being half of the species they're looking for is just perfect, even better they're half siblings. But seriously Hunny doing wrestler moves on Dr. Gel was too good!

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet episode 1-2 English dub
I watched the whole series in Japanese when it was broadcasting for the first time. Loved the beautiful colors and scenery even though the plot could be a bit more engaging/deep but honesty it had me wondering when I first watched it. Basically sci-fi Waterworld, which is awesome. Still the designs were nice and so were the characters. The dub voices so far haven't been terrible at all, I actually enjoy the chosen talent, no one is really grating on my ears.

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:39 am

Trigun episode 4. Interesting start. This is certainly entertaining.

Natsume's Book of Friends episode 4. Already like this series. :)

I got bored one night and felt as if I should watch a few more anime, even though I still need to finish FMA:B and Soul Eater. If only hulu would work better. :comp:
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby nln_rose » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 am

Cat96 wrote:Trigun episode 4. Interesting start. This is certainly entertaining.

Natsume's Book of Friends episode 4. Already like this series. :)

I got bored one night and felt as if I should watch a few more anime, even though I still need to finish FMA:B and Soul Eater. If only hulu would work better. :comp:

keep it up on trigun it gets better! once wolfwood (the priest) gets in there the story becomes a lot more interesting. i personally think that its pretty sweet. ps hulu doesn't have FMA:B past episode 4 or 5 dubbed an only a couple more subbed. just in case you didn't know funimation and netflix have them though.
nln_rose

Postby Cat96 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 pm

I just finished the priest episode, and it was awesome. The show is getting better by the episode. The characters are interesting, but what's with the cat? Seriously, the cat appears in every episode. Reminds me of the white cat that often appeared in the manga Black Cat.

I also just finished the episode of Natsume's Book of Friends where SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Natsume meets a yokai that is friends with a human, but the human can no longer see yokai. I also saw an AMV about Nyanko-sensei. So funny! :lol:

I have FMA:B on DVD, and my dad's girlfriend has Netflix. My dad bought second set (last half of the series) is over at their house right now so I have to wait 'till I get to their house to continue. I will likely watch the Sacred Star of Milos while I'm there anyway.

I just haven't gotten around to finishing Soul Eater. I was already spoiled on the ending, so that's likely why I haven't finished it.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby GeneD » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Nate wrote:SuperS is pretty bad. The Amazon Trio are sort of cool villains but once the Amazoness Quartet show up the show is beyond redemption. The problem is that lots of people don't like Chibiusa, and she is the star of the show in SuperS. Her romantic involvement with horse guy and her continuing efforts to romance her dad are really weird and it brings the show down. It also doesn't help that the outer Senshi which show up in S don't show up at all in SuperS, and the ending is really unsatisfying. It's widely considered to be the bottom of the barrel in Sailor Moon.

Fortunately the first 10 or so episodes of Stars are sort of an apology letter for how bad SuperS was.

Oh dear, thanks for the heads up then.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders ep 19: Okay I was not okay with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: creepy baby and his Stand. T_T Poor Kakyoin, please be alright!

Haikyuu!! ep 19: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kageyama's setter dump! And everyone's shocked expressions! I must have watched it at least 20 times. Although, if he only copies Oikawa's tricks he's not going to put them in the lead. I imagine the next episode will be set to "Anything You Can Do" from Annie Get Your Gun. I might have to go off and make an AMV.

Sailor M ep 27 - 28: New OP, exciting! Not too fond of the new ED though. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Huh, I didn't know Rei and Tuxedo Mask were still dating, especially since they make a point of showing how bored and disinterested he is when they're together. Ami's little romance episode was cute though.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 15 - 16: Cowbell of Happiness... What did I just watch?! O.o

Captain Earth ep 19: Only 6 more episodes until it's over.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 pm

GeneD wrote:Revolutionary Girl Utena 15 - 16: Cowbell of Happiness... What did I just watch?! O.o

Ah, yes. That episode. I had the same reaction. RGU will do that to you. lol.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Up to episode 28 of Bleach -- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: This whole invasion of the Soul Society story is starting to get a little tiresome. It started out strong, but I'm predicting a whole bunch of episodes just focusing on Ichigo fighting one pompous jerk after another. I can't believe some of the these soul reapers are actually good guys later on. Most of them seem like just a bunch of arrogant, sadistic jerks (for lack of a better word).

Episode 5 of Fate/Zero

Episode 2 of Space Dandy season 2 -- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow, in this episode we actually get to see that Dandy cares about what happens to Meow and QT. Didn't really seem like any of them even liked each other early on.

Episode 11 of Gungrave

Thunderscream872

Postby Aven » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:04 am

Watching new episodes of Free!, Haikyuu!!, and Tokyo Ghoul as they come out. Started Clannad per a friend's request. Wasn't so sure I'd enjoy it (the art style bothers me a little, don't hate me for this, I just prefer more 'realistic' styles than the 'classic' anime look with big eyes and tiny noses, etc.), but it's alright thus far.
Aven

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Free! Season 2 ep 7

CinniScrib

Postby FourFourSeven » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Recent: "Tatami Galaxy" (grade: A) and "My Little Monster" (grade: B+)

Next: "Toradora!"

Afterwards: (Pending....)

News at 11.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews