What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Tokyo Ghoul episode 1

Just to warn anyone interested in watching it, it's a bit of a gory horror show. (which if you read the manga you'd know, but I don't read the series. I was just curious of the anime adaption that just started airing. Beware of cannibalism/dismemberment.)

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Sailor Moon Crystal episode 1
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I haven't read the manga but this first episode was very similar to the first of the original anime. I liked how the other show actually depicted Luna getting the bandaid on her rather than "oh what happened, bandaids?" and then Luna just mentions "bad kids" later. Also totally lazy in how Usagi got her pendant. Last time Luna magically makes it appear and then gives it, in this show it's like "take this", then Usagi reaches out and shows a brooch that came out of no where from the previous frame (Luna didn't have it on her, or show it appearing).
Interesting to see how much is actually identical to the manga in these episodes since the whole purpose of the show is to follow the manga unlike the previous anime.

Captain Earth 14
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: New opening! Meaning this series is going to be 26 episodes at least... need to check, maybe it's 30. But Hana always crying when she kisses Daichi? Given her telepathy via a kiss I wonder what she sees to make her certain if he saw her true self via a kiss he'd hate her. She's not the one who killed his dad, that was Amarok. Pac/Puck is good at playing dual sides. But Blume is obviously linked to Hana since she summoned it. Especially since: Hana (Flower) and Blume (Bloom). So her cute innocence and sweetness is an act? I mean, to say she'd be better off killing Daichi but loves him? ???? 8|

Fairy Tail 2014 ep 13 & 14
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 13: IRON SHADOW DRAGOOON!

14: New opening!! I liked the other one's song better.

CinniScrib

Postby radical edward » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:59 am

Starting an anime that must not be discussed, Revolutionary Girl Utena.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Might as well post my thoughts on Sailor Moon Crystal episode one.

First: the subs are terrible. Like they're seriously Hong Kong sub tier. "Cat can talk?" That's not a thing a person would say! And even I, who practically know no Japanese, could recognize things were subbed wrong. Usagi calls out "Mama no baka!" at the beginning, which basically means "Mama, you idiot!" They subbed it as "Mama, why didn't you..." Then there's the inexplicable decision to translate youma as "Evil." So you have Jadeite saying "Rise, great Evil who serves our master." Either the people subbing this have no understanding of English, or their QC is nonexistent. It really makes it difficult to enjoy a show when the subs are so awful. I probably would have liked it more if it had been subbed decently, but as it was, it is a huge mark against the show.

Second, I'm disappointed in the lack of expression. Luna is sitting there laying down all this stuff on Usagi and she's just sitting there completely still with her mouth slightly open. This is a really horrible difference from the original where Usagi jumped back in fear and was hiding behind her bed while Luna spoke. The characters aren't always void of expression, but when it's noticeable, it's horribly noticeable.

I think the transformation sequence is cool. I realize a lot of people don't like it and the fact that it's in 3D is kinda eh, but for whatever reason that's what the director wanted, so it wasn't a budget decision. It doesn't look bad to me, though Naoko Takeuchi's poor grasp of anatomy (as much as I like her art) is pretty apparent when it focuses on Usagi's limbs and how spindly they look. The tiara being so thin and small also kinda bugs me, but it's a minor complaint honestly. While I do like that they put the hair ornaments in her hair like the manga, I'm really disappointed they didn't give her the mask. I guess it's because of Sailor V and Tuxedo Mask, they didn't want three masked characters in the opening episode, so that's probably why they did away with it...still, I liked the mask and I can't help but wish they'd kept it.

Overall I liked it. It seemed to be a bit rushed compared to the first anime episode, but it's been years since I watched the first anime episode so maybe if I went back and watched that, I'd feel the same about it. However what isn't nostalgia talking is the official subs are atrocious and the characters need to be more expressive. Despite that, I'm looking forward to more.

I mean hey, there's always the possibility the subs will be made decent for the physical release. And if not that, then there's always fansubbers who apparently care more about the quality of subs than the actual people releasing the show.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby skreyola » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Nate, your review makes me sad. Not because you didn't do a good job on it, but because I hoped it would be a better show. Guess I'll wait a while to watch this.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 pm

Space Dandy Season 2 Episode 1

This show is so ridiculous but the pop culture and referrals to current life are spot on. The mention about "these will never work, they want college grads" is so spot on with the job demands now a days. BUT AN EPISODE ABOUT AUs!? YES! And mentioning wikipedia haha

CinniScrib

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Okay, I'll run through all of the shows I'm watching at the moment.

Episode 3 of Angel Beats: this show is okay, it makes me kinda upset that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Masami Iwasawa, who was first character that I really started to like, dies so early on. I guess it’s possible that she could come back, but I don't know.

Episode 11 of Bleach: still enjoy it quite a bit. I love the characters in Bleach!

Episode 15 of Psycho-Pass: This show is really intense, and pretty brutal. These last couple episodes have been super dark-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I've never seen The Purge, but from what I infer about it, these last few episodes of Psycho-Pass feel a little like something similar to that movie.
So far the only episode that I feel was unnecessary was Episode 13. It was a good episode, but felt like it kinda interrupted the main the story to give a backstory on a character who really doesn't do a whole lot to further the plot. Idk, maybe there will be a follow up that will make it feel like it was worth it.

Episode 5 of Attack on Titan: I actually enjoy this show quite a bit at this point, I still don't share the opinion of the masses that it’s, like, super groundbreaking or anything, but it’s enjoyable. I'm a big fan of large casts of characters, especially large casts that are handled well, and this show does a pretty good job at it so far. At this point Mikasa and Sasha are definitely my favorites. Mikasa for being awesome and super tough, and Sasha cause she's always interesting and funny.

Episode 8 of Space Dandy: This is the first episode of Space Dandy that I wasn’t really feeling. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The story was kinda sloppy. It starts out focusing on Dandy and the gang finding this dog and making friends with the dog and what not. Then the dog dies in the middle of the episode. After that the storyline complete changes and is focused on these two flea-like aliens trying to take over Dandy’s ship, and, yeah, the second half is totally different than the first half—I’m not into that.

Episode 40 of Avatar: The Last Airbender: Finished up Book 2, only one more to go. Out of all the shows I’m currently watching, this is my favorite. Just kinda sick of typing so I’m gonna leave it at that 
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Lilac#18 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm currently watching Sailor Moon Crystal on Neon Alley aka http://www.viz.com/sailor-moon-crystal
I love that it's based off the manga, I've waited years for that. Love the art, but I was disappointed that they didn't give Sailor Moon a mask like the manga, but anyway. Can't wait for the next episode July 19th.
Lilac#18

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 pm

I just finished season 3 of Digimon (Tamers). I found it incredibly enjoyable, which is funny since the first two seasons weren't too thrilling for me. Sometimes things didn't make sense, but after ssns 1/2 I learned to let it slide. Takato-mon. XD

I'm disappointed it's over already...

Restarted Maid-sama with a friend, so I had to backslide with that. We're about to be where I left off before, which is exciting 'cause I'm ready to see what happens next *-*

Rewatched Aria: The Scarlet Ammo with the same friend above. I'm glad she wound up liking it as much as I did. It's awkward at times but I really like Kenji, especially his relationship(?) with Aria since she is so innocent and he is so easy-going.

Also watching Nabari no Ou (slowly). It's okay so far but the pacing is sometimes... ugh.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:13 pm

faithb4sight wrote:I just finished season 3 of Digimon (Tamers). I found it incredibly enjoyable, which is funny since the first two seasons weren't too thrilling for me. Sometimes things didn't make sense, but after ssns 1/2 I learned to let it slide. Takato-mon. XD

I'm disappointed it's over already...

Also watching Nabari no Ou (slowly). It's okay so far but the pacing is sometimes... ugh.

You watched and loved Tamers!? :hug: I would give you three hugs, but you didn't like the other seasons... :eyebrow: Guilmon's among the very best characters in the franchise if you ask me.

I watched Nabari no Ou quite a while back. It has some interesting concepts and things in it, so I would've enjoyed it more were it not for the (possible major spoiler here [but not necessarily regarding the plot itself], don't look if you're not very far in the show, I don't know how much you've seen! :hits_self) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: implied yaoi. I watched the show at a time when I didn't really know about the concept of yaoi, so I wouldn't have even guessed at the hinted relationship between Miharu and Yoite were it not for the audio commentaries where the voice actors mentioned it. Kind of ruined the show for me, to look back on it like that. I had chosen to view their relationship as just a weirdly close friendship... :shake: Other than that, it was an all right show.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 pm

@Mullet

Don't get me wrong, there were parts of the original two seasons I liked. Most especially Joe and Gomamon in season 1 and Davis, Ken, and Wormmon from season 2. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I LOVED how the very end of the season showed everyone grown up. Yolei and Ken?! 3 babies??! Dawwwww. And I must agree, Guilmon is one of the sweetest, most innocently honest anime beings ever.

As for Nabari, I read the CAA review for it before watching it and figured I could get through it. I'm pretty far into it (around episode 20) right now, and I see the hinted implications of what you mentioned. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It can be overlooked, certainly, and I view their friendship as more of an understanding for one another. That said, the awkwardness may be a reason I haven't really gotten too attached to the show. :/ That and it's a little too weepy for my tastes.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby nillapoet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 am

Just watched the latest episode of Fairy Tail on hulu. Episode 188. Now that's what I'm talking about. Amazing episode.
nillapoet

Postby Chronicler1701 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:56 am

Watched the 189th episode of Fairy Tail. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally got the satisfaction of seeing Minerva pay for what she did to Lucy. Took a little too long for my taste. If both Fairy teams went after her when it happened, Saber probably would've had to withdraw from the Games. They had Laxus, who beat Raven Tail by himself and Jura one on one, Gray, who beat Rufus one on one, Natsu, who beat Saber's Twin Dragons by himself, Gajeel, who's pretty well on par with Natsu, Erza, who dominated the entire Pandemonium event, and Jellal, disguised as Mystogan, another of the Wizard Saints. Saber wouldn't have stood a chance. And that's assuming Makarov wouldn't get into the fight. The animation style is getting more and more like the movie. I like the new opening theme. I've read the manga through to the 361st chapter, so I know pretty much what's gonna happen from here, but that doesn't take away from the excitement of the final day of the Grand Magic Games.
Thank You, Jesus, for everything You've given me.

His Love is deep, His Love is wide
And it covers us.
His Love is fierce, His Love is strong
It is furious.
His Love is sweet, His Love is wild,
And it's waking hearts to life.

Current astronomical equipment:
Telescope: Meade ETX-90(pending repair)
Eyepieces: Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Ed, Edd n Eddy is awesome!
Best Pokémon, ever: Deoxys
Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

Revelation 2:17
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Free! Season 2 episode 2

Tokyo Ghoul episode 2
Man the psychological torture of Rize haunting him!

Sengoku Basara Judge End episode 1

Should I even be surprised there's yet another Sengoku Basara series?

CinniScrib

Postby Chronicler1701 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 am

Watched the first episode of D-Frag! on Funimation. I don't know what to say. It's funny and crazy.

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:07 am

Clannad After Story episodes 10-12 - The "boring episodes" weren't actually boring; I appreciated the soft, slow movement. Also, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: what an anticlimactic proposal! :lol:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kilvakar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Just finished Soul Eater, and I've got to say I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Seemed a little short, though, even at 51 episodes. I thought the end was a little...rushed, but other than that, a very good series!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:36 am

Legend of Korra Book 3 episode 4 & 5
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: This series has so many jail breaks haha. You can really see how the villains are all friends/buddies, they're like the Gaang but on the wrong side basically. Awkward kissy stuff (well it HAS been 13 years). But the Twins totally got destroyed in that fight, Tonraq and Zuko too! Bumi and the codenames ahha. But with Toph not being seen for years I so hope she pops up at the end of this Book doing something awesome. Or in the next. AAAH. And Varrik is back! Or at least popping up!

But Toph was a rolling stone! Her daughters never knew their dads!

Fairy Tail 2014 episode 15

CinniScrib

Postby AnaniAnime » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm watching Fairy Tail (on episode 190) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It was so sad when Lucy died but I had already read a spoiler about it. I really want to find out what happens! The episodes seem so short!
Clannad After Story (I just finished episode 10)
Hello!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.pinterest.com/ariannawesomez/
AnaniAnime

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Captain Earth episode 15

Oh the Shakespeare references in this anime. Midsummer Knights, Puck (which they messed up and put PAC on the machine), and Macbeth.

CinniScrib

Postby Chronicler1701 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:20 am

Finally finished episode 190 of Fairy Tail. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Future Rogue killed Future Lucy. I don't see him surviving the night considering what Natsu is gonna do to him. But then again, I've read the manga, so...

An interesting plot development. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Space Dandy Season 2 Episode 2

CinniScrib

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Naruto Shippuden 357. Wow. 357...

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby nillapoet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:42 pm

I was watching Soul Eater episode 22. Then I felt convicted with a feeling of "Should you really be watching this?" I enjoyed it but eh, I guess I'll just move on to FMA: brotherhood.
nillapoet

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Finished up Psycho-Pass, and man, this show was really good. It’s rare that I see an anime this intense and exciting. The concepts this show dealt with were very intriguing. It really has an interesting take on how technology can be abused in order to create a “perfect” world and the problems that this world causes, yet, at the same time, it presents a situation where a very flawed system is almost necessary to keep order.

I like how this show really presents hard moral questions where there is no easy answer. The main characters in Psycho-Pass live in a world where obvious right and wrong to us isn’t so obvious to them, and the show does a great job of portraying what people might act like in this world where everyone’s psychological state (their “psycho pass”) is regulated by a seemingly all-powerful, all-knowing system of government.

I could go on and on about the show as a whole, but I’m gonna cut it short here and say that I would HIGHLY recommend this anime, especially for fans of Death Note and Monster.

I’m just gonna say a couple things about the ending: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I did not actually expect Kougami to kill Makishima, but it was awesome! Makishima was a super twisted dude, but I actually kinda felt sorry for him in the end—as messed up as that might sound. I do have some suspicions about whether or not Makishima is really dead.

Seeing Akane mature into a determined detective from a naive rookie was pretty cool, though I hope she doesn’t become too cold in season 2, part of the reason I liked her so much was because she felt so much more “human than some of the other characters.

All in all, the last episode was great up to the point where Kougami killed Makishima, after that it was just okay. Don’t feel like going into detail, but I will say all the mirroring of the first episode felt forced and kinda cheesy.

Favorite Characters: Shinya Kougami, Akane Tsunemori, Shuusei Kagari, and Tonomi Masaoka

I’ll list a few things regarding the content of this show for those of you who are more strict about what you watch (which is cool, not down-talking anyone):

Language: g**d****it and s**t are the strongest words used in the dub. Swearing is pretty infrequent.

Violence/Gore: Very bloody, gory, and disturbing at times. People literally exploded when shot with a Dominate (that is set to kill). I’m talking bones and organ matter and obviously blood shooting everywhere.

Sexual Content/Nudity: A guy is suggested to have raped a girl, but not a whole lot is shown. Some people in paintings are naked, but no characters in the actual anime are ever shown completely naked on screen (the naughty bits are covered up by glares, shadows--you get the point). There is also some homosexuality, but it doesn’t play a big part in the story.

I think that covered everything. Again, it’s a great anime. I highly recommend it if you can deal with the content. I’d give it a 9/10.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Kyoukai no Kanata Season 2 episode 1

I had no idea they were doing a second season! Or just more animated episodes I'm so happy! Yay for backstories/pre-main story information! I loved the first season so much!

Free! Season 2 episode 2

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Clannad After Story episode 13 - ^_____________________________________^ Awwwwwww! <3 This was positively the sweetest episode ever :hug:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby skreyola » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 pm

Just finished rewatching Eureka Seven. I had forgotten wy I didn't like the ending, but I was confirmed in that opinion. The final episode is full of all kinds of awesome, great twists and moments, and then there's a time skip, and the rest of the episode is full of dung. The final five episodes have some things in them that make the rest of the show a little bit less wonderful, but the final episode makes the whole show feel less satisfying. A horrible ending to a good show.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:21 am

Tokyo Ghoul episode 3

Persona 4 The Golden episode 1-2
Never played the games or saw the movie but was curious!

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus episode 1-2
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I forgot what happened during this arc just investigating the circus. Hm, wonder if this season will just be 12 episodes. Can't remember how long they stretched it out in the manga.... *SPOILER-> All I remember is them taking Snake with them in the manga.

CinniScrib

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Bleach episode 14
Angel Beats episode 8
Space Dandy episode 10
Attack on Titan episode 10

Thunderscream872

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews