What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Chronicler1701 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I finished Episode 120 of Fairy Tail the other day, so now it's on to subtitles! (Thank You, Jesus I already like them!)
Thank You, Jesus, for everything You've given me.

His Love is deep, His Love is wide
And it covers us.
His Love is fierce, His Love is strong
It is furious.
His Love is sweet, His Love is wild,
And it's waking hearts to life.

Current astronomical equipment:
Telescope: Meade ETX-90(pending repair)
Eyepieces: Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Ed, Edd n Eddy is awesome!
Best Pokémon, ever: Deoxys
Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

Revelation 2:17
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby CinniScrib » Thu May 22, 2014 11:58 pm

The Snow Queen (2005) anime (There are 36 episodes!)

episode 1-2

So far it seems good. Reminds me of 80's anime and early 90's with pacing and the focus on story and characters instead of how it is now. Nice violin opening song! Beefing up the original tale by building up to the whole shard-in-my-eye and frozen heart thing that launches the whole original story with daily life and Kay and Gerda's friendship. They're really trying to emphasis their bond so it's nice rather then just "they were like brother and sister, inseparable UNTIL *DUN DUN DUN*" Nice to have more of a back story for the two.

episode 3 & 4

Episode 3 Is pretty much when it lines up with the beginning of the original tale with the shard in Kay's eye. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: would have been nice if his dad had slapped him so hard the shard went flying out. But we'd have no story and Gerda wouldn't have saved Kay!

Episode 4 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: HAHA man that minstrel is strumming so hard it's like he's rocking out

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Sat May 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Fairy Tail (2014) episode 8
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally beat the executioners!

Captain Earth episode 8
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally we see the Earth Engine fight on earth aka it's original state. Bummer though seems like the other 5 are all going to be enemies. Too bad! At least Teppei is on the hero's side.

CinniScrib

Postby nillapoet » Sat May 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Almost done with the Edolas arc in Fairy Tail. One of the best story lines thus far.
nillapoet

Postby Chronicler1701 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:33 pm

It is, isn't it? I'm rewatching it cause I liked it so much.
Who's your favorite Edolas character so far?

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby CinniScrib » Sun May 25, 2014 12:42 am

The Snow Queen episode 5-10

episode 7
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's nice that they're actually mentioning someone else who got a shard from the mirror in their eye. Otherwise it's like: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST? WHY ONLY IN KAY'S EYE? Then again it leaves open readers to imagine the fates of others. Though those glasses frames are so tacky! WOW. But the bee lady is seriously epic! It's nice seeing strong/developed female characters in here as the original tale had prominent female characters too. But it's nice that even one episode characters are realistic and not flimsy

CinniScrib

Postby Kilvakar » Sun May 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Watching Fairy Tail dub, just about done with the Tenrou Island arc.

Also, i just started Soul Eater, pretty good so far...

Watched the first couple of episodes of Attack on Titan, not exactly my cup of tea. :sweat:

And finally, Squid Girl! Nothing but pure silliness, but still so funny! :lol:
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby spark300c » Sun May 25, 2014 4:52 pm

I watching captain earth and nobunaga the fool
spark300c

Postby nillapoet » Sun May 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Kilvakar wrote:Watching Fairy Tail dub, just about done with the Tenrou Island arc.

Also, i just started Soul Eater, pretty good so far...

Watched the first couple of episodes of Attack on Titan, not exactly my cup of tea. :sweat:

And finally, Squid Girl! Nothing but pure silliness, but still so funny! :lol:

I actually kind of liked Squid Girl.
nillapoet

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Ok. Since I last posted here, I got caught up on Tonari no Seki-Kun. Very cute. I especially loved the Desk Polishing, Golf, and Shogi 2 eps.

I also watched The Devil is a Part-Timer. Now, while some of the theological elements bothered me just a little, I still loved it. Lovable characters, a unique story, excellent humor, and tons of fun! I kinda wished more slice-of-life animes were like this.

Also I JUST watched the first episode of Sailor Moon subbed on Hulu and I already really like it so far. Cute and girly. Further proof that I love magical girl animes! ^-^
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby skreyola » Sun May 25, 2014 7:43 pm

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:Also I JUST watched the first episode of Sailor Moon subbed on Hulu and I already really like it so far. Cute and girly. Further proof that I love magical girl animes! ^-^

Hulu has more than the trailer?
*goes and watches the first episode*
Okay. Not real crazy about it, so far, but I'll watch some more and see if it gets better. Always wondered what all the fuss was about this show.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby CinniScrib » Mon May 26, 2014 12:29 am

Isshuukan Friends episode 8

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Summer vacation! Looked like so much fun. But oh nooooo! The shake up character has arrived! O_O They're catching up to the manga's current place (otherwise the translation/scans is backed up)

Nobunaga the Fool episode 19
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's hard to tell but I think Hideyoshi lost his left arm and leg! D8 So much jumping around with the visions and different scenarios though, ugh.

Nobunaga the Fool episode 20
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: King Arthur is so delusional. Looks like they pulled a Fate/Stay Night with hiding the true gender unless Arthur has the power to change what his face looks like... is he really female? Or he's just so beautiful it's more androgonous/pretty boy? AAH can't tell since his voice changes too. Caesar you sap... I hated you then I was meh about you and now I'm back to frowny facing again. HMMM. Well Ichihime can say buy to him now that he's back to the West's side. Hideyoshi is back though!!! CYBORG POWER!

The Snow Queen episode 11
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Looks like they might incorporate a few other tales by Hans Christian Anderson into this series. I mean not as brutal as the original tale I guess but still, her dad dies instead of her getting her feet chopped off? Yay no maiming but still!

The Snow Queen episode 12
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well at least they got the Ugly Duckling in there with a song. This episode was okay. It's been about 8 months since Kay disappeared. WOW.

CinniScrib

Postby black & white angel » Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 am

Squid girl episode 5
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon May 26, 2014 11:34 am

Tonari no Seki-kun episodes 20-21 (end):

Ep. 20: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Bwahaha, the flipbook and sound effects were genius (and also hilarious) :lol: ... as was the 'commercial' twist. :lol:

And ep. 21: What a great way to close out the series. :lol: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The whole will-he/won't-he-find-and-confiscate-the-'family' drama/hilarity was excellent, and the "This isn't the time to be impressed, Dad!" line in particular totally got me (...I actually had to pause the video for a few seconds to get all my laughs out on that one, haha! :lol: :lol:). I am really, really sad that this is ending (I could very happily watch one episode of this a week for the rest of my life, quite honestly! :grin: ), but I really, really enjoyed it, and am totally going to look up the manga now. :thumb:

...OH, BUT WAIT-- I just found out that there are still two more specials yet, too! :jump: (At this rate, maybe it really *will* continue, LOL... :lol: ) Seriously, though, I'll eat up as much of this as they'll give me-- manga or anime! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby scribbledreamer » Mon May 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Little Busters Refrain episode 11

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I found out most of the "secret" before I started watching this, but it's still getting to me. That last baseball scene..."One last pitch for each of you!" :(
scribbledreamer

Postby CinniScrib » Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm

The Snow Queen episode 13-21

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So it's been a year since Kay disappeared! Also Father Wind is very creepy... seems like he's the one who caused the Trolls to break the mirror in the first place (red glow gives it away. The creeper). And hmm Ragi's past... a commander! Makes sense! But Hans omogsh, just rushing into the fire like YAHOO! Wonder if we'll ever find out the details of what happened that winter during the battle. Sometimes shows can be really vague.

Episode 19
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I KNEW the Little Matchgirl was coming up. Such a brutal episode. So hard but the original story was to bring to light the hardships of child workers and orphans. Even though it's sad she died it was the best because she was no longer suffering and went to heaven. Just death is sad but not what happens after.

Episode 20
Is a giant recap episode presented as a narration by Gerda as a letter to Kay. Skip it!
Last edited by CinniScrib on Mon May 26, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CinniScrib

Postby faithb4sight » Mon May 26, 2014 5:24 pm

I've been re-watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica as well as Kamisama Kiss and Sword Art Online since my sister is home for summer and wanted to catch up on some anime.

We've also gotten to season 3 of Digimon. We got through season 1 and most of season 2 this past winter. Season 3 is great so far - this is the season I watched years ago and the nostalgia... :) Great stuff.

I'm going to finally finish Kaleido Star in a couple of days! My friend and I have been slowly watching it for months. It's to a point where I am sad to see it go. The further the plot progressed, the better it got. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Seeing Ken dressed up as a coffee machine made my day. I used to wonder how the plot would last 50-something episodes but the series has surprised me.

Wow at all the people watching Squid Girl! I watched Squid Girl about 6 months ago (?) and personally was not impressed :/ Recently found out there is a season 2... not sure if I'll try watching it.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby skreyola » Mon May 26, 2014 6:42 pm

It was a while back I watched Squid Girl, and I thought it was a lot of fun. :) Both seasons.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby GeneD » Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 am

Tonari no Seki-kun ep 20-21: Aww I'm sad to see this go, it was fun. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The flipbook was really great and it was good to see the return of the robot family. It's not my favourite short series, but definitely worth the 7 minutes spent.

Yowamushi Pedal ep 32-33: Well 32 doesn't have much to comment on, oh man 33, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: HIME HIME HIME, SUKI SUKI DAISUKI, HIME, HIME! It was beautiful.

I finished Jojo's Bizarre Adventures (2012) and I must say I enjoyed the Battle Tendency half a lot more than the Phantom Blood half, although SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Caesar! Why'd he have to die?! T_T I then got started on Stardust Crusaders and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: old Jojo is amazing!

I started Sailor Moon and Revolutionery Girl Utena, which are both interesting to watch, given how influential they've been. Utena's music is wonderful and I love the shadow gossip ladies. Sailor Moon can be (possibly) unintentionally funny at times, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I crack up every time Tuxedo Mask throws a rose dramatically, but still fun.

I also watched Perfect Blue, which I have history with, specifically of scarring myself and my friends at a sleepover when we were way too young for it. I can handle and appreciate it much more for what it is now, although it's not my favourite Satoshi Kon work.

And finally, I watched Patema Inverted, which was my 200th anime work according to MAL. Hooray \(^__^)/ It's a great movie and messes with your sense of gravity in a really interesting way. A lot of the way through I was breaking my brain trying to keep track of what was "up" or "down" and the villain was good in the sense that he is really hate-able. I'll definitely rewatch it sometime.
GeneD

Postby Chronicler1701 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Just finished the "Key of the Starry Heavens" arc of Fairy Tail. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Midnight is a real piece of work. Some serious father issues. Erigor looks even freakier than he did the first time he was shown. Now I have to go back to low quality for 25 episodes, because Funimation doesn't have those episodes online. My favorite arc so far is Edolas. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It was shown that Lisanna, Mirajane and Elfman's little sister, was alive and fine the whole time, she was simply taken to the world of Edolas. Lucky and his wife Marl are obviously Happy's parents. And Natsu Dragneel's reaction to Scarlet and Knightwalker's battle is so funny! But it's sad to think that we won't be seeing Mystogan anymore. I really liked him.

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby CinniScrib » Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 pm

Soul Eater NOT! 8

Which is chapter 16-17 plus maybe another chapter that hasn't been released/translated yet? As I mentioned before, looks like they're going to bulk up the anime a bit and possibly divert from the NOT manga storyline.

The Snow Queen episode 22-30

Episode 23
STRANGER DANGER! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Creepy red eye is pulling a Sauron from LotR. But the Queen in armor? YES! It's awesome to see her so fierce along with being elegant!

Episode 24
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Was waiting for the Little Mermaid! That was a less intense version of the original!

Episode 26
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally learned about Ragi's past in more detail!
Last edited by CinniScrib on Wed May 28, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CinniScrib

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 am

Patema Inverted, a.k.a. Sakasama no Patema, movie (sub):

Well, I'd been eagerly awaiting this movie for several years, and I was not disappointed! :thumb: For one thing, the visuals were beautiful, as expected. For another, as GeneD also mentioned, I loved how the movie kinda messed with your own sense of gravity as you were watching it. Also: As mentioned by characters in the movie itself, the idea of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'freefalling' into the sky was indeed terrifying; but, in contrast, the 'flying' that opposite-gravity characters were able to achieve when working together was pretty thrilling. Now, all that said, both the plot and (especially) the antagonist were really quite simple; however, it wasn't really necessary for this to be complex, since the two main characters + the entire concept/premise were plenty fascinating enough to carry the film on their own (and the world itself + the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: twist at the end were great, too). In other words: I loved it! :jump:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:58 am

Soul Eater Not! 8 - While the animation in this show is a bit clunky, I think I've gotten used to it. Not a bad episode, had some nice Stein moments~. Also, Anya telling Tsugumi to suck it up and choose a partner was refreshing to say the least. All in all, the anime is moving quite a bit faster than he manga (from what I can tell this is already about where the "little stories" chapters are). I'm kind of hoping that it doesn't stray too far from the manga, though.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Chronicler1701 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Almost caught up with Fairy Tail. I'm about to watch episode 175: Natsu vs. the Twin Dragons. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sabertooth is gonna be sooo sorry Minerva hurt Lucy. Once I'm caught up on this anime, I'm probably gonna start watching One Piece.

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby CinniScrib » Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 pm

The Snow Queen episode 31

5 more episodes left!

CinniScrib

Postby Chronicler1701 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Okay, I'm getting close to being caught up on Fairy Tail; 4 or 5 years' worth in two months, not bad. The Grand Magic Games arc seems to be told from Levy McGarden's point of view; SPOILER: Highlight text to read: as there are cutscenes of her in the future writing to Lucy Heartfilia. And she's obviously grieved about something that happens after the Games are officially over, because she's crying about at least two people, men, who lost their lives. And then there's something going on with some high-ranking official who's constantly rattling on about getting a Celestial Wizard. Weird. The suspense is killing me! It's REALLY hard not to read ahead on the wiki about what happens.

This is the Chronicler, signing off.
*End Transmission*

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby GeneD » Thu May 29, 2014 5:21 am

MangaRocks! wrote:Patema Inverted, a.k.a. Sakasama no Patema, movie (sub):
Now, all that said, both the plot and (especially) the antagonist were really quite simple; however, it wasn't really necessary for this to be complex, since the two main characters + the entire concept/premise were plenty fascinating enough to carry the film on their own (and the world itself + the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: twist at the end were great, too). In other words: I loved it! :jump:

I agree about the simplicity of the movie and how it's not necessarily a bad thing. Though, I need an explanation about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the "twist"/what happened at the end. Is the "planet" or whatever flat that they basically came out the other side of it? Also, about the "place" Patema and Age ended up when they fell through the sky, what was keeping all those buildings and things up there? These are things I wondered about while watching so it's a bit disappointing not to get a proper explanation.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu May 29, 2014 9:06 am

GeneD wrote:I agree about the simplicity of the movie and how it's not necessarily a bad thing. Though, I need an explanation about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the "twist"/what happened at the end. Is the "planet" or whatever flat that they basically came out the other side of it? Also, about the "place" Patema and Age ended up when they fell through the sky, what was keeping all those buildings and things up there? These are things I wondered about while watching so it's a bit disappointing not to get a proper explanation.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nope. The twist was that, #1, *everyone*-- of both gravity-orientations-- had been underground the whole time since the disaster; and #2, when they broke through to the surface of their planet at the end, the 'inverted' were actually the ones who had the proper gravity (i.e., Age's people were actually the true 'inverted'-- hence crazy-dude flying off into space). As for the buildings that Patema and Age landed on before that, it's implied that that was one big life-support system/sky-simulator. Here's a diagram someone made that sorts it out (not to scale, obviously, LOL, but helpful :) ).
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Thu May 29, 2014 10:42 am

MangaRocks! wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nope. The twist was that, #1, *everyone*-- of both gravity-orientations-- had been underground the whole time since the disaster; and #2, when they broke through to the surface of their planet at the end, the 'inverted' were actually the ones who had the proper gravity (i.e., Age's people were actually the true 'inverted'-- hence crazy-dude flying off into space). As for the buildings that Patema and Age landed on before that, it's implied that that was one big life-support system/sky-simulator. Here's a diagram someone made that sorts it out (not to scale, obviously, LOL, but helpful :) ).

Ah ok thanks, that makes more sense. I'll go read more discussions on it too sometime.
GeneD

Postby Chronicler1701 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:50 am

Just finished the most recent episode of Fairy Tail. Way too much of a cliffhanger! Can't wait till tomorrow night! Until then, I guess I'll go ahead and start on One Piece.

"On the last piece of One Piece…"

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews