Finances plus God equals Dave Ramsey

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Finances plus God equals Dave Ramsey

Postby SierraLea » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:42 pm

If you guys have never heard of this guy, check him out. What he says actually makes a lot of sense and he has a great sense of humor. Not really sure if this should go here, but it seemed like the best spot.

http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/
SierraLea

Re: Finances plus God equals Dave Ramsey

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:05 am

I've read through some of his stuff. It looks like pretty wise advice. I'm planning on taking his financial course.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Sheenar » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:23 am

I took the Financial Peace University class and I highly recommend everyone take it if you get the opportunity. Life-changing stuff there. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 pm

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/3 ... t-poverty/ just to keep things in perspective here. The guy has some really good ideas, but also some rather poor ones.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 pm

mechana2015 wrote:http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/30/what-dave-ramsey-gets-wrong-about-poverty/ just to keep things in perspective here. The guy has some really good ideas, but also some rather poor ones.

Oh lord I LOVE Rachel Held Evans.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby SierraLea » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Did you guys know there's a teen program for this? It's called Generation Change and is run mostly by his daughter. The filming format is pretty creative, and they use a lot of different techniques. It's not as good as the Ramsey videos for content, but I think it's great for the Teens.
SierraLea

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 am

I choose to be poor.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Xeno » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Nate wrote:I choose to be poor.

Herman Cain was right!
Xeno

Postby seaglass27 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Nate wrote:I choose to be poor.

So did Jesus.
seaglass27

Postby uranium52081 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 am

mechana2015 wrote:http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/30/what-dave-ramsey-gets-wrong-about-poverty/ just to keep things in perspective here. The guy has some really good ideas, but also some rather poor ones.

Good article. And you're right it does sound like he focuses on some ideas that are unbiblical as well as the wonderful and God centered ideas he promotes. Just goes to show that as humans we must always seek the truth with discernment and open minds comparing all things to the scriptures. Anyone can be off a bit in their beliefs.

That being said I've recently read through half of his book "Total Money Makeover." I've seen nothing in it that has been unbiblical or against Christian principles. His whole ideology about debt is based on the Bible, as far as I can see. And I've already been implementing the plan he set forth. After the first week of being really stressed out, because I realized what a deep hole I was in..., I've really gotten focused on not only budgeting my money but my time as well. Is how I spend my money and time glorifying God? If not, how should I be spending these finite resources? It has really kick-started a new way of life for me in the best way possible. ^_^
uranium52081

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 am

I don't like the cultural effect this guy has had on evangelical Christianity. He seems to have given many evangelicals who "never go into debt ever" a superiority complex. Not all debt is caused by being irresponsible, some is caused by medical emergencies(as if cancer wasn't bad enough already).
Not to mention the people that treat him like he's the Jesus of finance.
Yamamaya

Postby Sheenar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 am

Yamamaya wrote:I don't like the cultural effect this guy has had on evangelical Christianity. He seems to have given many evangelicals who "never go into debt ever" a superiority complex. Not all debt is caused by being irresponsible, some is caused by medical emergencies(as if cancer wasn't bad enough already).
Not to mention the people that treat him like he's the Jesus of finance.

Agreed.

I use his system of budgeting because it has helped me be disciplined with the amount of money I have coming in each month. But he does not seem to understand (or be compassionate towards) those of us who live on fixed incomes and other types of assistance --his view seems to be that we got here through our own actions --when so many of us are dealing with disabilities which we have no control over and are not low-income by choice. So many of us would work and get out of subsidized housing and off assistance if we could. We have to eat and have housing and medical care --so what exactly does he expect us to do?

That is my beef with his teachings. The financial budgeting aspect of it is sound, however. The envelope system really does work to keep tabs/limits on spending. It has taught me to be better at saving and better at not spending money without a plan.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 am

Sheenar wrote:Agreed.

I use his system of budgeting because it has helped me be disciplined with the amount of money I have coming in each month. But he does not seem to understand (or be compassionate towards) those of us who live on fixed incomes and other types of assistance --his view seems to be that we got here through our own actions --when so many of us are dealing with disabilities which we have no control over and are not low-income by choice. So many of us would work and get out of subsidized housing and off assistance if we could. We have to eat and have housing and medical care --so what exactly does he expect us to do?

That is my beef with his teachings. The financial budgeting aspect of it is sound, however. The envelope system really does work to keep tabs/limits on spending. It has taught me to be better at saving and better at not spending money without a plan.

Yeah he seems to take a harsh perspective on personal wealth. If you're poor, it's simply because you are lazy or unfit, which certainly isn't a Biblical view.

Reducing debt and budgeting are good ideas of course, but most people know that already. It's just putting it into practice in a productive way.
Last edited by Yamamaya on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamamaya

Postby shooraijin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:58 pm

As a preemptive strike, let's not get into Ayn Rand or Objectivism much further, since that'll start skewing into politics real fast.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Sheenar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:39 am

shooraijin wrote:As a preemptive strike, let's not get into Ayn Rand or Objectivism much further, since that'll start skewing into politics real fast.

I don't understand what you mean, but I want to comply. Could you elaborate further (in a PM would be okay)? I Googled the above, but didn't arrive at anything I understood (I'm having more days of cognitive issues and have trouble processing --the Wikipedia article made no sense to me.) I'm not understanding how that fits into the conversation here.

I don't want to break any rules and want to make sure I stay in the parameters set.

Thank you. :)

Sheenar

Postby shooraijin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:19 pm

You're fine. Carry on.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Devotional Readings