Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Atria35 wrote:
Koneko-chan wrote:I'd like to watch Kenichi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and Bleach, but I would like to know the age rating first, how much violence, etc. Thank you! :3

Bleach is PG-13, and probably could have a bt of info on it, but the most you need to know is that after the Soul Society Arc (meaning, before the halfway mark) the story goes into a downhill spiral. And the last arc of the manga isn't getting an anime, so it's also incomplete. I'd recommend One Piece instead, since it's a solid overarching story, very well put-together, earns it's PG-13 rating but doesn't have that much fanservice - it's mostly cartoonish violence - and some minor language.

Okay, thank you! I'll definitely check One Piece out.
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 pm

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:
Mouse2010 wrote:I think this is an appropriate question for this thread . . . let's say a local comic book store has the entire Patlabor TV series packaged as a unit (used, but cheaper than what you can find on ebay), AND has for sale (individually) the movie and Patlabor 2, the movie. What, if anything, would you buy, assuming that you are unfamiliar with the franchise but have heard good things about it?

For the purpose of this question, assume that you are someone who has more money than time, so that the real question may be not whether you can afford it but whether you will ever have time to watch it.

I hope I;m not too late to offer advice.

Just wanted to let you know that no, you weren't too late! I didn't get a chance to get back to that store until a couple of days ago, but it was all still there. I ended up buying the TV series because I discovered that I could get the movies from Netflix (on disc), but the whole series wasn't currently available. It turned out that the bundle I was looking at actually included the OVA discs, too, as well as the TV series, so I have quite a lot of Patlabor now!
Mouse2010

Postby Koneko-chan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Posting in here so soon again; Sorry, but this one I just remembered. I want to know what you would rate Black Butler and Butler II. I realize some of the things in it, but I am curious. There was a review for it (Black Butler), just not a recommended age rating. Help? Okay, thanks! ( Age rating )
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Koneko-chan

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Koneko-chan wrote:Posting in here so soon again; Sorry, but this one I just remembered. I want to know what you would rate Black Butler and Butler II. I realize some of the things in it, but I am curious. There was a review for it (Black Butler), just not a recommended age rating. Help? Okay, thanks! ( Age rating )

From what I saw, I'd say that if the DVDs were realeased in the US they would have a PG-13 age rating. It's a somewhat dark title, but the violence and darkness aren't anywhere near enough to get 'R'.
Atria35

Postby Koneko-chan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Atria35 wrote:
Koneko-chan wrote:Posting in here so soon again; Sorry, but this one I just remembered. I want to know what you would rate Black Butler and Butler II. I realize some of the things in it, but I am curious. There was a review for it (Black Butler), just not a recommended age rating. Help? Okay, thanks! ( Age rating )

From what I saw, I'd say that if the DVDs were realeased in the US they would have a PG-13 age rating. It's a somewhat dark title, but the violence and darkness aren't anywhere near enough to get 'R'.

Okay, thanks, Atria! Heh, um.. Could I ask you one more question? I saw on Hulu Black Butler II, it was rated MA or whatever. Is is there anything relatively worse in it, or did they just give it a stupid rating? I'll take your word for the PG-13 but I'm just curious. Thanks again! (Sorry for being such a pest)

Koneko-chan

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Koneko-chan wrote:
Atria35 wrote:

Okay, thanks, Atria! Heh, um.. Could I ask you one more question? I saw on Hulu Black Butler II, it was rated MA or whatever. Is is there anything relatively worse in it, or did they just give it a stupid rating? I'll take your word for the PG-13 but I'm just curious. Thanks again! (Sorry for being such a pest)

I couldn't tell you bout BB2, I only saw a good chunk of 1. Sorry! But I suspect it would be because it was so dark, like the worst moments of... oh, Soul Eater, if you've ever seen that.
Atria35

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 am

Hellooo ^_^ I was just wondering if anyone knew of any animes that were about superheros but not above a tv-14 rating. I already saw Heroman and really liked it so I guess I'm wondering if there are any more anime like that but maybe a tad more serious?
DecooPunk

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 pm

DecooPunk wrote:Hellooo ^_^ I was just wondering if anyone knew of any animes that were about superheros but not above a tv-14 rating. I already saw Heroman and really liked it so I guess I'm wondering if there are any more anime like that but maybe a tad more serious?

Well, just because it needs to be said: there are virtually no superhero anime, in the traditional American sense of the word.

Tiger and Bunny is about what you're looking for, but beyond that.... Well, there's an X-men anime, but I don't know how many recs you'll get beyond that.
Atria35

Postby Cianter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Atria35 wrote:
DecooPunk wrote:Hellooo ^_^ I was just wondering if anyone knew of any animes that were about superheros but not above a tv-14 rating. I already saw Heroman and really liked it so I guess I'm wondering if there are any more anime like that but maybe a tad more serious?

Well, just because it needs to be said: there are virtually no superhero anime, in the traditional American sense of the word.

Tiger and Bunny is about what you're looking for, but beyond that.... Well, there's an X-men anime, but I don't know how many recs you'll get beyond that.

Along with the X-men anime they made a Wolverine, Iron man, and Blade anime, all 13 episodes long (I think), but besides that I'm not really sure. Are you looking for superheroes, or just people with powers who are good guys? But I would definitely recommend the X-men and Iron man animes, both are very good (in my opinion) but I haven't watched the blade and Wolverine ones.
Cianter

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am

Cianter wrote:
Atria35 wrote:

Along with the X-men anime they made a Wolverine, Iron man, and Blade anime, all 13 episodes long (I think), but besides that I'm not really sure. Are you looking for superheroes, or just people with powers who are good guys? But I would definitely recommend the X-men and Iron man animes, both are very good (in my opinion) but I haven't watched the blade and Wolverine ones.

Iron man anime? What amazingness is this?! Joking :P But I am so happy to learn that there is such a thing!
I guess superhero was not exactly the right word to use. Any anime about people with powers who fight bad guys would be awesome. Just so long as they are not rated R or MA and its not demonic, that really bothers me. Thanks soo much Cianter an Atria for the suggestions :D
DecooPunk

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 am

How did I not think of this earlier? Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is going to be right up your alley. Sure, the title suggests it's about mecha, and there's a few of those around, but pretty much every character's got crazy kung-fu supepowers. It's a rollicking good time, and last I checked, you could get a complete set (plus a couple crappy bonus episodes) for $15 or so on Amazon.

And speaking of giant robots, you could easily make the case that most super robot shows are pretty much the same as superhero shows over here, only that the superpower is the awesome do-anything fighting robot. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a whole lot of the classics, but I liked GaoGaiGar and TTGL, and everyone seems to like the Getter Robo shows and Shin Mazinger Z.
Davidizer13

Postby TheBlueRose22 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Hey everyone! I just suddenly had an urge to watch an anime. Only problem is finding something that I'd like. I'm really not into any supernatural animes, with the obvious exception of Blood+. I'm more into the Urasawa scene, where the anime, much like Monster, will treat its viewer like a mature adult. Multiple storylines don't bother me one bit, and I also love it when each character has an important part. I also can't stand animes that have too many things objectionable in terms of theological content. So, basically, this is what I like.

-No supernatural, unless it's EXTREMELY light like Blood+
-Nothing TOO objectional, theologically speaking
-Multiple characters and storylines are just fine
-Nothing meant for kiddies
-Violence and language do not bother me at all
-Nor does things of the sexual nature

ANIMES I LOVE:
Gunslinger Girl
Monster
Blood+
Detective Conan/Case Closed
Cowboy Bebop

I'm sorry if I sound too picky, but I knew if anyone could help me find this sort-of anime, it'd be this community.
TheBlueRose22

Postby skreyola » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

You might enjoy House of Five Leaves. It's about a swordsman who falls in with a group of kidnappers. Very introspective.
If not for the bar on supernatural, I'd think you might also like Mushi-shi and Night Raid 1931 (Senkou no Night Raid).
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby KazeShiki » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Definitely Baccano, though I feel like you'd have already seen it. It does have supernatural elements, but I'd say it's about the same level as Blood+? When I think of Baccano, its supernatural element is one of the last things I think of. Lots of violence, characters, and storylines. There is one aspect that might be "theologically objectional" but honestly I'm not sure what you mean by that and it's kind of a minor plot point? (major plot point but not largely discussed)
Requiem for the Phantom. No supernatural, I do not believe there is anything theological objectionable but again depends on what exactly you mean. The whole thing is about assassins, so lots of killing.
Perfect Blue. It's a movie but might fit your taste. It's psychological, so don't how you feel about that genre. Nothing theologically objectionable (if I interpret you correctly) but there are some scenes that would normally stop people from watching but you said you don't mind.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Koneko-chan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 pm

I feel like I come here a lot, sorry. I'd really like an age rating for Durarara, I want to know how much blood, violence (I realize there's some violence in there, but, what else are you gonna get in city like Ikeburkuro?), etc. I have looked up the wiki and I am aware of the gangs in it, but I can't say I'm not interested in this anime, I'd really really like to watch it, but age rating first of course. Thanks in advance~! :D

Koneko-chan

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 pm

There are reviews for it here. One thing I want to mention in addition to what's written there is that there's one scene with quite a bit of nudity. It's undetailed, completely non-sexual, and has an obvious reason to be there, but I figured you'd want a heads-up.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Koneko-chan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm

FllMtl Novelist wrote:There are reviews for it here. One thing I want to mention in addition to what's written there is that there's one scene with quite a bit of nudity. It's undetailed, completely non-sexual, and has an obvious reason to be there, but I figured you'd want a heads-up.

Ah, thanks Fu! Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna go ahead and give it a try~! :3

Koneko-chan

Postby GeneD » Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm looking for some anime shorts or one-shots, for lack of a better word. I've recently-ish watched Little Witch Academia, Cencoroll, Death Billiards, Pale Cocoon, Voices of a Distant Star. That list is ordered from most to least liked but other than that indication I don't have any real preferences for what I'm looking for.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue May 28, 2013 12:47 pm

^ Well, as for short films, I definitely have to recommend Kigeki (Comedy). Which is actually not a comedy, by the way (aside from about two little amusing moments) :grin: , but it *is* a fantastic 10-minute short that I really enjoyed. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Tue May 28, 2013 4:27 pm

One-shots that are standalone and not related to a series are very rare, so it's hard to think of any number of titles. Kyousougiga was originally a one-shot and LWA reminded me of that, so that's probably your best bet. I would recommend 5 centimeters per second but you listed Voices of a Distant Star as last so I'm hesitant to do so.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Vii » Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Hotarubi no Mori e is a bittersweet 40-minute OVA. Highly recommended.
FLCL is a six-episode long wacky OVA that's apparently about adolescence or something. I've only seen two episodes of it, so idk.
Time of Eve is a six-episode OVA about robots/androids and humans. I haven't seen this one yet, but it seems up your alley.

That's all I've got. I don't know of many one-shot episodes. (One shot manga, on the other hand...)
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 pm

^ Oh yeah, I have no idea why I didn't think of Time Of Eve, as well-- but I'd actually recommend the movie, which includes all the OVA's plus a few extra scenes. :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Wed May 29, 2013 5:42 am

MangaRocks! wrote:^ Well, as for short films, I definitely have to recommend Kigeki (Comedy). Which is actually not a comedy, by the way (aside from about two little amusing moments) :grin: , but it *is* a fantastic 10-minute short that I really enjoyed. :)

KazeShiki wrote:Kyousougiga was originally a one-shot and LWA reminded me of that, so that's probably your best bet. I would recommend 5 centimeters per second but you listed Voices of a Distant Star as last so I'm hesitant to do so.

Kigeki and Kyousougiga both look like things I'd enjoy so I've added them to my Plan to Watch. I have actually seen 5 Centimeters per Second and yeah, you're right I'm not particularly fond of it.

Vii wrote:Hotarubi no Mori e is a bittersweet 40-minute OVA. Highly recommended.
FLCL is a six-episode long wacky OVA that's apparently about adolescence or something. I've only seen two episodes of it, so idk.
Time of Eve is a six-episode OVA about robots/androids and humans. I haven't seen this one yet, but it seems up your alley.

That's all I've got. I don't know of many one-shot episodes. (One shot manga, on the other hand...)

Hotarubi no Mori e is already on my list and I actually also recently finished Time of Eve but forgot to mention it. I really liked it and it would probably sit level with LWA. I've seen one episode of FLCL so maybe it's time to try it again. Manga one shots I'll leave till next time I'm looking for short things.

MangaRocks! wrote:^ Oh yeah, I have no idea why I didn't think of Time Of Eve, as well-- but I'd actually recommend the movie, which includes all the OVA's plus a few extra scenes. :)

I only heard about the movie recently when I saw they are kick-starting the international blue-ray release for it, which I thought was pretty interesting. I've also know off Mizu no Kotoba and Kikumana which is by the Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon guys, but which I haven't seen yet.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
GeneD

Postby SierraLea » Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Anyone think that showing my 6 and 8 year old sisters Angelic Layer is a bad idea? They like a lot of characters from different Animes that my mom wouldn't let them watch, but they might get to see the entirety of this one.
SierraLea

Postby Lilac#18 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Are there any shojo anime with angels that are G, PG or PG-13? Prefer G or PG.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby GeneD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 am

I have(found) a gap in my anime upbringing; the only Gundam I've ever seen is SEED. Terrible, I know. I don't particularly want to watch a very long series right now, so are there any shorter, good Gundam I can try? I know there are movies, what's up with those?
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 am

^ I've been recommended the movies, too, although I haven't seen them yet :sweat: ... but what I *have* seen so far happens to be the 6-episode Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket OVA, which is excellent. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 pm

The original Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy of compilation movies is usually considered the definitive version of the One Year War and is what 99% of people will recommend over the TV series. They're actually much more responsible for the state of Gundam being huge than the original TV series, so if you are interested in the main UC timeline, watch these first. Following them, the main UC timeline you should go with is Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (TV, the movies are supposed to be p bad) and finish it with the film Char's Counterattack. I have not seen past the compilation movies in this, though.

However, if you're more interested in smaller tastes of Gundam to begin with, there are several sidestory OVAs set in the UC timeline concerning none of the main story's characters. 0080 is excellent like Manga Rocks suggested, however, it is very different from most Gundam. It's a good way to get interested in the universe and the action is quite good, but it might be strange to go from this to the 0079 movie trilogy. My personal favorite Gundam is The 08th MS Team, which is a 13-part OVA about a group of soldiers who are pretty low on the totem pole or importance in the war just trying to survive out in the jungle. Fantastic action and characters and a very different experience than you'll get from most real robot shows. Finally, I mention this just to make sure you don't watch it, but 0083: Stardust Memory is another 13-part OVA set in between the original movie trilogy and Zeta Gundam, but I have been warned that it is a worthless watch unless you've already seen Zeta.

As for the AU stuff, I can't actually speak for much of it because I haven't seen any, but 00 usually is thought to be okay for at least the first half, X has some people who dig it, and Turn A is universally considered fantastic.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Selenite wrote:Are there any shojo anime with angels that are G, PG or PG-13? Prefer G or PG.

Have you tried D.N.Angel or Wedding Peach? I'm not a Wedding Peach fan but I really love D.N.Angel. You can read about them here...

http://myanimelist.net/anime/61/D.N.Angel

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1533/Wedding_Peach
mysngoeshere56

Postby Candle7 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:48 pm

Hello! I am new here and was looking for new anime to watch that are TV-14 or under. Nudity/sex is a no, unless the nudity is undetailed like in Inuyasha and brief, language preferably infrequent and certainly no f-bombs or gd's. Violence isn't an issue and nothing like Black Butler religion-wise, please. Here are a few I've seen:
FMA/FMA: Brotherhood
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Fruits Basket
Death Note
Detective Conan
Kimi ni Todoke

Sorry for being picky about all of this *bows*.
"Lay off, I'm as normal as they come and this is a contest of freaks. What do you want me to do, fire my slingshot at him?" -Maes Hughes
"I already told you, A FIST IN HIS FACE!!" -Edward Elric
"Don't call me small! I'll break off your feet and stick em on your head!" -Edward Elric and me (though I'm not going to do anything violent)
Candle7

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews