Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 am

Vilo159 wrote:Ok guys, I'm in need of something to watch! I just finished watching Bamboo Blade, and I really liked it. I'm not really looking for something too action-y right now, more slice-of-life. I've heard Big Windup! is good, so that'll probably my next step if I don't get any good suggestions.

Oh, and here's my MAL if it helps: http://myanimelist.net/profile/vilo159

If you're looking for a sports series that has calmer, character-driven, slice-of-life elements, you cannot go wrong with Cross Game. It's a baseball show, sure, but it's also a show that is just as much about the lives, growth, maturation and relationships of the protagonist and a family that he is very close with.

Big windup is also a very solid choice. Can't go wrong watching that one, either.
impact777 wrote:Has anyone seen Patlabor1? And when yes, would you recommend it? Also because of the religious content.

YES. Yes, I highly recommend Patlabor. Fantastic characters, awesome mecha designs, great humor (though the second film is quite a serious piece). There's pretty much nothing offensive in any way about the TV series, first OAV or the two movies. I'm not sure what religious content that you're referring to, honestly. As in every movie directed by Mamoru Oshii, there is a character that quotes some scripture that is relevant to certain events in the story. Patlabor doesn't really deal with religion or theology at all, though. The TV series in particular is much more lighthearted in tone than that sort of commentary warrants.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby skreyola » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Cross Game is a neat show. It's a baseball show, but it doesn't feel like a sports anime. It's technically a romantic comedy, but it doesn't feel like a romance. It's a complex drama, but it doesn't feel too serious. It's a rich, layered story that balances all its facets beautifully and bears watching over and over. I can't recommend it highly enough and wish I could get it on DVD/BR.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Shizuka » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm

well i would recommend death note it is awsome or if you love vampires then vampire knight
Shizuka

Postby thebeardedone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey there,
Here's what I'm a fan of:

Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto (Shippuden)
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop

I know that I've watched some others, but I just can't quite remember them all at the moment. I like the more supernatural kind of stuff in anime, like Bleach, but I also like the real life stuff, like when they go to school and whatnot. I grew up in Asia, and that kind of stuff is like a taste of home. So yeah, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Oh, and any recommendations of just good solid anime would not be taken lightly :) I'm definitely willing to have my anime tastes broadened!

-thebeardedone
thebeardedone

Postby Koneko-chan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 pm

My brother promised me he would go to AX with me and my sister if he found someone to cosplay as.
I showed him some anime me and my sister watch, and so far he's not too into them. I thought for sure Soul Eater would be a good one
But, yeah, just for fun I showed him Ouran High School Host Club just for fun, surprisingly, he gave it a 3, but he said it was awkward.
Okay, I'm rambling, so he's 22, he loves comedy (He said he would definitely watch Hetalia with me :D), He really loves Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun.
Any suggestions? Sorry for talking so much XD.
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Considering what he likes, don't think you can go wrong with Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Death Note, Escaflowne, Gankutsuou, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Sword of the Stranger and Redline.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Falx » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 pm

thebeardedone wrote:Hey there,
Here's what I'm a fan of:

Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto (Shippuden)
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop

I know that I've watched some others, but I just can't quite remember them all at the moment. I like the more supernatural kind of stuff in anime, like Bleach, but I also like the real life stuff, like when they go to school and whatnot. I grew up in Asia, and that kind of stuff is like a taste of home. So yeah, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Oh, and any recommendations of just good solid anime would not be taken lightly :) I'm definitely willing to have my anime tastes broadened!

-thebeardedone

Dennou Coil
Hyouka
Baccano!
Durarara!
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Mouse2010 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm

I think this is an appropriate question for this thread . . . let's say a local comic book store has the entire Patlabor TV series packaged as a unit (used, but cheaper than what you can find on ebay), AND has for sale (individually) the movie and Patlabor 2, the movie. What, if anything, would you buy, assuming that you are unfamiliar with the franchise but have heard good things about it?

For the purpose of this question, assume that you are someone who has more money than time, so that the real question may be not whether you can afford it but whether you will ever have time to watch it.
Mouse2010

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 am

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the anime E's otherwise because I was thinking about watching it but it has tarot cards and seeing into the future which, to me, is disturbing. I guess my question is is the whole series like that (cause things connected with devils and stuff really bothers me) and what other bad things does it have in it? If anyone has actually seen it. It does not seem to be a very popular anime.
DecooPunk

Postby Cianter » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:29 pm

DecooPunk wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the anime E's otherwise because I was thinking about watching it but it has tarot cards and seeing into the future which, to me, is disturbing. I guess my question is is the whole series like that (cause things connected with devils and stuff really bothers me) and what other bad things does it have in it? If anyone has actually seen it. It does not seem to be a very popular anime.

I've seen the series, though that was a while ago. There really isn't any, like, 'devily' stuff (that I can remember) But it really kind of sucks...lol. That's my personal opinion of course, but it really is a weak anime. But to be honest I really don't even remember tarot cards...wow I must have really not been paying attention :hits_self
Cianter

Postby DecooPunk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Cianter wrote:
DecooPunk wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the anime E's otherwise because I was thinking about watching it but it has tarot cards and seeing into the future which, to me, is disturbing. I guess my question is is the whole series like that (cause things connected with devils and stuff really bothers me) and what other bad things does it have in it? If anyone has actually seen it. It does not seem to be a very popular anime.

I've seen the series, though that was a while ago. There really isn't any, like, 'devily' stuff (that I can remember) But it really kind of sucks...lol. That's my personal opinion of course, but it really is a weak anime. But to be honest I really don't even remember tarot cards...wow I must have really not been paying attention :hits_self

Ah, thanks ^^ I don't think I'll be watching it, it sounds boring.
DecooPunk

Postby Toranoko-san » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Hiya ^^
Heres a list of the anime i've watched
( I love all of these btw >w< )

Hetalia
Fullmetal Alchemist
Black Cat
Fruits Basket
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Shugo Chara
Soul Eater
Tenchi Muyo
Sgt Frog

And a few others I can't remember at the moment. ^^"
Anyways I also wanted to know if Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Bleach, and One Piece are any good, and any suggestions for any other animes I might like? Thanks! :D
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things, or make them unimportant." -The Eleventh Doctor -Doctor Who

"My experience is that there is, you know, surprisingly, always hope." -The Eleventh Doctor -Doctor Who

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." -Edward Elric

"Always be kind and polite and have the materials to build a bomb." -Tom McNair
Toranoko-san

Postby KazeShiki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 am

Toranoko-san wrote:Hiya ^^
Anyways I also wanted to know if Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Bleach, and One Piece are any good, and any suggestions for any other animes I might like? Thanks! :D

One Piece is pretty much universally considered the best battle manga/anime out there, so yes, it's good. KHR is not bad, per se, but while I wouldn't call it good, I'd say it's worth the watch if you like the genre. Note that the first ~20eps are gag comedy and then it does a genre shift to action. Actually on the note of KHR, the anime was halted (lots of rumors of continuation but nothing ever happened) but the manga is completed. Bleach's first arc was good. Then it only goes downhill and continues to set new lows. I'm assuming you like battle stories since you brought these titles up and also enjoyed FMA, so I would also recommend Hunter x Hunter (a personal favorite of mine) and you might also enjoy Toriko. I might bother to think of more obscure titles when I'm not about to fall asleep :sweat:
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Toranoko-san » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 am

One Piece is pretty much universally considered the best battle manga/anime out there, so yes, it's good. KHR is not bad, per se, but while I wouldn't call it good, I'd say it's worth the watch if you like the genre. Note that the first ~20eps are gag comedy and then it does a genre shift to action. Actually on the note of KHR, the anime was halted (lots of rumors of continuation but nothing ever happened) but the manga is completed. Bleach's first arc was good. Then it only goes downhill and continues to set new lows. I'm assuming you like battle stories since you brought these titles up and also enjoyed FMA, so I would also recommend Hunter x Hunter (a personal favorite of mine) and you might also enjoy Toriko. I might bother to think of more obscure titles when I'm not about to fall asleep :sweat:
Thanks so much! This was really helpful, and I'll definitely check those out. :D
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things, or make them unimportant." -The Eleventh Doctor -Doctor Who

"My experience is that there is, you know, surprisingly, always hope." -The Eleventh Doctor -Doctor Who

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." -Edward Elric

Toranoko-san

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 am

I'm also going to throw out Blue Exorcist and Blast of Tempest out there for other shonen fighting things that I think you'd like based on your history. Blue Exorcist in particular is right up your alley, with very fun characters and good fights.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Toranoko-san » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:I'm also going to throw out Blue Exorcist and Blast of Tempest out there for other shonen fighting things that I think you'd like based on your history. Blue Exorcist in particular is right up your alley, with very fun characters and good fights.
Awesome, thanks I'll have to check those out as well. :n_n:

Toranoko-san

Postby skreyola » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Toranoko-san wrote:Anyways I also wanted to know if Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Bleach, and One Piece are any good, and any suggestions for any other animes I might like? Thanks! :D

I think you will enjoy Bleach a lot. At least the first two or three seasons. They are the best seasons. The rest of the show is good, but not at the same level of quality. As the show progressed, there were more and more fillers, more and more of each episode was previous footage, and more and the power progression got a little bit ridiculous. That said, I did watch all of the main story arc episodes and enjoyed a lot of moments in the later seasons. Just not as much as the first few.
Can't speak to the others, as I haven't seen them.
Based on the shows you mentioned, you might also enjoy Bamboo Blade, Trigun, FMPor Kenichi.
If you're interested in something that goes at a more relaxed pace and has a thoughtful story, I have more recommendations.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 am

Mouse2010 wrote:I think this is an appropriate question for this thread . . . let's say a local comic book store has the entire Patlabor TV series packaged as a unit (used, but cheaper than what you can find on ebay), AND has for sale (individually) the movie and Patlabor 2, the movie. What, if anything, would you buy, assuming that you are unfamiliar with the franchise but have heard good things about it?

For the purpose of this question, assume that you are someone who has more money than time, so that the real question may be not whether you can afford it but whether you will ever have time to watch it.

I hope I;m not too late to offer advice.

The movies don't require knowledge of the franchise to enjoy, and if you're looking for a smaller time investment, then the movies make a lot of sense. They are also superior in overall quality to the TV series in terms of animation, music, storytelling, awesomeness, etc. However, the TV series is also good stuff. It definitely represents the lighter, funnier side of the franchise, whereas the movies (especially the second one) are denser and more serious. If you're not obsessive about completing series quickly, Patlabor TV makes sense. It's a mostly light, episodic, character driven comedy/slice of life that feels almost Seinfeld-ian. Not a lot in terms of ongoing story, and I found it very easy to get back into after putting it down for a while.

All told, the movies are the best Patlabor, but, depending on your taste they might not be the ideal Patlabor for you right now.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Toranoko-san » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Based on the shows you mentioned, you might also enjoy Bamboo Blade, Trigun, FMPor Kenichi.
If you're interested in something that goes at a more relaxed pace and has a thoughtful story, I have more recommendations.

Thanks so much for your help :D Yeah sounds good that'd be awesome if you could recommend some for me. ^^

Toranoko-san

Postby skreyola » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Toranoko-san wrote:

Thanks so much for your help :D Yeah sounds good that'd be awesome if you could recommend some for me. ^^

No problem.
Kemono no Souja Erin/Beast Player Erin, Ikoku Meiro no Croisée/Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Usagi Droppu/Bunny Drop, and Kimi ni Todoke are great series, and if you're in the US, I highly recommend Cross Game. I'm not sure if any of those will be your cup of tea, but it's worth taking a look at any of them.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Toranoko-san » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Awesome those sound pretty good. ^^

Toranoko-san

Postby SilverToast » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Does anyone have a dark anime with some kind of mystery elements? By this I mean anime similar to Baccano!, Gosick, Claymore.

Also does anyone have a good sports anime recommendation? I really liked Giant Killing and Hajime No Ippo.
SilverToast

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Ace33Wing wrote:Does anyone have a dark anime with some kind of mystery elements? By this I mean anime similar to Baccano!, Gosick, Claymore.

Also does anyone have a good sports anime recommendation? I really liked Giant Killing and Hajime No Ippo.

Haven't seen enough sports stuff yet to give a recommendation there, unfortunately :sweat: (though I'm planning to remedy that soon!), but I'll have a go at your first request. :)

Judging by some of the titles you mentioned there, I'm assuming violence is not an issue :) , so I'll go ahead and recommend the dark ( + somewhat philosophical/psychological) crime thriller Psycho-Pass.

And I'll also throw in the time-travel thriller Steins;Gate, which does start off quite a lot lighter at first but gets pretty intense later on.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby skreyola » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Ace33Wing wrote:Does anyone have a dark anime with some kind of mystery elements? By this I mean anime similar to Baccano!, Gosick, Claymore.

You might like Un-Go, Darker Than Black, or Neuro. Oh, and Mushi-shi might also fit that bill.

Ace33Wing wrote:Also does anyone have a good sports anime recommendation? I really liked Giant Killing and Hajime No Ippo.

Have you seen Big Windup? I didn't like the pacing of the overall story, but the episodes were generally fun to watch. Also Bamboo Blade. And if you're in the US, I can't recommend Cross Game highly enough. Excellent show.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby SilverToast » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks for the recommendations skyreyola and Manga Rocks!

Manga Rocks you're right to think that violence doesn't bother me.hehe It would be weird if I watched these shows and just covered my eyes with a pillow everytime the bad men used their tools of pain. XD

Luckily I am in the U.S so I can watch Cross Game. Yay!
SilverToast

Postby skreyola » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Happy to help. Let me know how you like them.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Koneko-chan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:22 pm

I'd like to watch Kenichi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and Bleach, but I would like to know the age rating first, how much violence, etc. Thank you! :3
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Koneko-chan

Postby skreyola » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Kenichi is about a boy who becomes a disciple of mixed martial arts, so there's a ton of punching and stuff. As I recall, there wasn't much realistic violence, but people got hash marks and red spots where they got hit, and maybe some blood. The female lead is rather well-endowed, and there is some ribbing of the male lead about his intentions toward her, but apart from the break cards in the middle of the episodes, she usually wasn't shown in a fanservice-y way, in my opinion. The show is mainly about being a protector, about honor, and about perseverence.
Bleach has a lot of violence, as it's populated by horrific monsters and shinigami samurai warriors; even friends frequently beat on each other.. It has a pretty big amount of fanservice, too. And there's a lot of stuff that might be objectionable on theological grounds, even ignoring the show's core conceit.
I haven't seen KHR.
Hope this helps.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Koneko-chan wrote:I'd like to watch Kenichi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and Bleach, but I would like to know the age rating first, how much violence, etc. Thank you! :3

Bleach is PG-13, and probably could have a bt of info on it, but the most you need to know is that after the Soul Society Arc (meaning, before the halfway mark) the story goes into a downhill spiral. And the last arc of the manga isn't getting an anime, so it's also incomplete. I'd recommend One Piece instead, since it's a solid overarching story, very well put-together, earns it's PG-13 rating but doesn't have that much fanservice - it's mostly cartoonish violence - and some minor language.
Atria35

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:28 pm

skreyola wrote:Kenichi is about a boy who becomes a disciple of mixed martial arts, so there's a ton of punching and stuff. As I recall, there wasn't much realistic violence, but people got hash marks and red spots where they got hit, and maybe some blood. The female lead is rather well-endowed, and there is some ribbing of the male lead about his intentions toward her, but apart from the break cards in the middle of the episodes, she usually wasn't shown in a fanservice-y way, in my opinion. The show is mainly about being a protector, about honor, and about perseverence.
Bleach has a lot of violence, as it's populated by horrific monsters and shinigami samurai warriors; even friends frequently beat on each other.. It has a pretty big amount of fanservice, too. And there's a lot of stuff that might be objectionable on theological grounds, even ignoring the show's core conceit.
I haven't seen KHR.
Hope this helps.

Okay, thank you! I think I'll check Kenichi out, I think I've might've seen a episode, but I wasn't sure if I should continue, thank you again!

Koneko-chan

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews