Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby Vii » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

They changed Natsume's hair color from silver to gold/brown, and added a few anime-only episodes here and there like Atria said, but from what I've heard, it's very much the same.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Atria35 wrote:^ I have a few friends who've done both, and they think the anime is a very solid adaptation of the manga. There are a few arcs that aren't in the manga, but it keeps everything in-character and really are just like stories that are in the manga, very true to the original story.

Vii wrote:They changed Natsume's hair color from silver to gold/brown, and added a few anime-only episodes here and there like Atria said, but from what I've heard, it's very much the same.

Excellent! Thank you guys very much! :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby skreyola » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Where is this show available?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:19 pm

skreyola wrote:Where is this show available?

Natsume's Book of Friends? It's streaming on Crunchyroll for free.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm

^ If you mean Natsume, it is available in its entirety on Crunchyroll (divided into two sections). :)

(EDIT: ninja'd :P )
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Koneko-chan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:22 am

Okay, I'm posting in here again, for an anime I found. It's on Crunchyroll, but since my mom hasn't gotten Crunchyroll yet, so I didn't see an age rating anywhere DX Except one site, Anime Fugishi (Something to that effect) it said PG-13 But I wanted to know from here.
The anime is called Me and You, also known as Kimi to Boku. Could you give me an age rating on this? Thank chu, in advance! ^^
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 am

Koneko-chan wrote:Okay, I'm posting in here again, for an anime I found. It's on Crunchyroll, but since my mom hasn't gotten Crunchyroll yet, so I didn't see an age rating anywhere DX Except one site, Anime Fugishi (Something to that effect) it said PG-13 But I wanted to know from here.
The anime is called Me and You, also known as Kimi to Boku. Could you give me an age rating on this? Thank chu, in advance! ^^

Kimi to Boku (aka Me and You) is an incredibly clean anime. I don't think I'd rate it higher than PG, and it's a very thin line between G and PG, IMO. I suspect the PG-13 on Anime Fushigi might actually be because it's a fairly slow Slice of Life anime dealing with High School students, which would bore small kids to death.

Crunchyroll doesn't have age ratings for the anime it streams, for future reference. You would have to go to outside sources to find them.
Atria35

Postby Koneko-chan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:19 am

Atria35 wrote:
Koneko-chan wrote:Okay, I'm posting in here again, for an anime I found. It's on Crunchyroll, but since my mom hasn't gotten Crunchyroll yet, so I didn't see an age rating anywhere DX Except one site, Anime Fugishi (Something to that effect) it said PG-13 But I wanted to know from here.

Kimi to Boku (aka Me and You) is an incredibly clean anime. I don't think I'd rate it higher than PG, and it's a very thin line between G and PG, IMO. I suspect the PG-13 on Anime Fushigi might actually be because it's a fairly slow Slice of Life anime dealing with High School students, which would bore small kids to death.

Crunchyroll doesn't have age ratings for the anime it streams, for future reference. You would have to go to outside sources to find them.

Okay. Thanks, Atria~ :D
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby skreyola » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Atria35 wrote:
skreyola wrote:Where is this show available?

Natsume's Book of Friends? It's streaming on Crunchyroll for free.

Thank you both for the info.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Vii » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Oh, one more change in Natsume Yuujinchou I remember hearing about: Sasada is a recurring character instead of a one-shot one.
Vii

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Okay, guys, can you recommend me something epic? I loved FMA: Brotherhood and the earlier seasons of Bleach. I don't like super-long anime. I just really like anime where the tension builds and the story gets bigger and bigger.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Neane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm

First off, what anime have you seen already?
Do you have a MAL account?
Neane

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't know what MAL is. I can't remember everything I've seen, but the epic ones I know I've seen are Code Geass and Madoka Magica.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Neane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:23 pm

MAL is Myanimelist

It's a site that you can use for free to keep track of what anime you have seen.

As for Recommendations:

The Toward the Terra 2007 TV Series.

Otherwise known as

Terra e... (2007)

It's a 24 episode long Space Opera of epic proportions, covering approximately five decades worth of events and starts out slowly but gradually builds its story to an extremely emotional ride through the galaxy.
Neane

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

Any other recommendations?
Yuki-Anne

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Legend of the Galactic Heroes immediately comes to mind, at 110 episodes (plus three prequel films and two 25-episode prequel sidestories). It involved the struggle between Reinhard von Lohengramm, an impoverished noble of the Galactic Empire who swears to claim the throne after his sister is taken as the Emperor's mistress, and Yang Wenli, a genius tactician but middle-ranking officer in the Free Planets Alliance who joined the military to pay off his college loans. The show chronicles their rise to power and the clash between the two bodies as they fight out their ideological ideals of free democracy vs. benevolent autocracy. They are each backed by a dozens of supporters, ranging from the "Twin Stars of the Empire" Wolfgang Mittermeyer and Oskar von Reunthal or Yang's junior officer Dusty Attenborough or his adopted son Julian Minci. The stuff of legends (har har) but if I tried to do a top ten list it would only rank after Baccano!.

Eureka Seven is also really excellent stuff, definitely top ten material. We have an amazing growth from both our leads and a fascinating world and pretty big conflict. Highly recommended.

If you don't mind shonen action, Soul Eater is really fun but has a pretty big world and some interesting stuff. The highlights are the great characters, which are wide, varied, and a ton of fun, and the akjdbgfd,jng,jdfng fights.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:If you don't mind shonen action, Soul Eater is really fun but has a pretty big world and some interesting stuff. The highlights are the great characters, which are wide, varied, and a ton of fun, and the akjdbgfd,jng,jdfng fights.

COURAGE PUNCH!
Neane

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 am

Awesome! I'll have to check those out.
Yuki-Anne

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 am

Yuki, a lot of the shows that spring to mind just --are-- long series. For a story to build, it usually has to be of a length that facilitates that building. It's a difficult thing to build up a degree of tension as high as Brotherhood without a similarly high episode count. A lot of the visceral, emotional response you have is rooted in the investment you have in the characters, and that also takes time to come about.

Having said that, I will try to recommend something that has an epic "feel." Giant Robo definitely fits the bill here. It's a seven episode (episode length varies) OAV made across the 1990s. The name may turn you off, but this isn't really a show for the robot-obsessed or even much of a "robot show" at all. It's more of a story about super heroes, and it builds to an intense, emotionally gripping and, yes, epic finale.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:34 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:Okay, guys, can you recommend me something epic? I loved FMA: Brotherhood and the earlier seasons of Bleach. I don't like super-long anime. I just really like anime where the tension builds and the story gets bigger and bigger.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Has a decent amount of fanservice, but is among the most epic anime I've ever seen.
Gunbuster also qualified as epic for me, also has some fanservice.
Monster - an epic, but different from a lot of what would qualify as epic. A long anime, though.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Epic in much the same way Madoka is. Except this one tends to get a bad rap from Christians. I don't get it, myself, since when I watched it all the Christian references seemed to be there as window dressing without any deeper meaning. It definitely goes on my own list of epics, though.
Rainbow: Nisha - One I'd consider epic simply because of how involved you get in the trails and triumphs of the boys. Dark, though - I recommend checking out the review on here.
Gankutsuou - It's based off of The Count of Monte Cristo. Epic if you consider that epic.
Kemono no Souja Erin - If a kid's show can be epic (and it can *coughAvatarTheLastAirbender*cough*) then this is. Waaay more intense than the usual kid's faire.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 am

Atria35 wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster
Gankutsuou

Good call on these, Atria, though I might qualify Gankutsuou as simply "engrossing" rather than "epic." People should see it either way, we can agree.

Dunno how I forgot about Gunbuster, since I --just watched it-- a couple of weeks ago. A lot of mecha titles qualify as very epic for me, but I hesitate to recommend stuff like Getter Robo Armageddon and Zeta Gundam because (1) they are mired in continuity and (2) people don't tend to like mecha series with non-modern sensibilities.
Last edited by TheSubtleDoctor on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I will second Legend of the Galactic Heroes as it is truly an epic of epics and is widely considered one of the greatest anime ever made. The story, themes, characters, music, etc. are all so well done. Sure, the animation may not be the best considering it's age, but I would hardly discredit its quality of an anime based on that alone. As a warning, there are a small handful of gory scenes which were really a surprise given how "clean" it normally is. Regardless, it is simply one of the best anime I have ever seen in pretty much every way. Oh and another warning is that the episode previews do not understand the meaning of spoilers. Avoid watching them at all costs unless you want to hear about every plot twist before it happens.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:Yuki, a lot of the shows that spring to mind just --are-- long series. For a story to build, it usually has to be of a length that facilitates that building. It's a difficult thing to build up a degree of tension as high as Brotherhood without a similarly high episode count. A lot of the visceral, emotional response you have is rooted in the investment you have in the characters, and that also takes time to come about.

I don't consider FMA to be a particularly long series because it's less than 100 episodes. It's moderate. When I'm talking about long, I mean the ones that are at, like, 300+ episodes and STILL going.
Yuki-Anne

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Yuki-Anne wrote:
TheSubtleDoctor wrote:Yuki, a lot of the shows that spring to mind just --are-- long series. For a story to build, it usually has to be of a length that facilitates that building. It's a difficult thing to build up a degree of tension as high as Brotherhood without a similarly high episode count. A lot of the visceral, emotional response you have is rooted in the investment you have in the characters, and that also takes time to come about.

I don't consider FMA to be a particularly long series because it's less than 100 episodes. It's moderate. When I'm talking about long, I mean the ones that are at, like, 300+ episodes and STILL going.

Oh,

Then you pretty much --have-- to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Are there any anime I could watch with my toddler sister that are not studio ghibli? (seen all of those)
DecooPunk

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 pm

DecooPunk wrote:Are there any anime I could watch with my toddler sister that are not studio ghibli? (seen all of those)

With your TODDLER sister?

A lot of anime are made specifically for children, but because the main audience in the US is teenagers/young adults, there are very few shows that come over that you could watch with a toddler - even less when you want a dub.

The only ones I can think of that would work:
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
Bottle Fairy
Hello Kitty
Spider Riders (has some action)
Digimon (has some action)

Since 'Toddler' generally means between the ages 1-3, I think the ones with action might be too inappropriate for that age range. Maybe when she hits kindergarten.

As an aside, I highly recommend My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Has anyone seen Patlabor1? And when yes, would you recommend it? Also because of the religious content.
impact777

Postby Vilo159 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Ok guys, I'm in need of something to watch! I just finished watching Bamboo Blade, and I really liked it. I'm not really looking for something too action-y right now, more slice-of-life. I've heard Big Windup! is good, so that'll probably my next step if I don't get any good suggestions.

Oh, and here's my MAL if it helps: http://myanimelist.net/profile/vilo159
Vilo159

Postby skreyola » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Big Windup is very good, even though the pacing is disappointing (they spent an awfully long time on one game). I got to the end of the series and wished there were fifty more episodes. Haven't seen the second series.

You might also enjoy Cross Game, which has much better pacing, and Honey & Clover.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 am

Big WIndup is amazing and is like the best sports thing ever. The only problem is that there isn't like a million episodes because I could watch it all day. It's especially awesome because it's willing to do super long games. Another amazing and best thing ever sports show is Chihayafuru, whose second season is airing right now. Kuroko no Basket is kind of dumb but can be super hilarious and unintentionally entertaining. Giant Killing is another super great sports show I wish there was more of, though like Big Windup and Chihayafuru it has a pretty natural ending point so you aren't raeging about the fact that it's over or anything.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews