Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Koneko-chan wrote:I really love comedy animes, and ones with action and adventure would awesome too. I'll list a few that I watch
Ouran High School Host Club
Sgt. Frog
Full Metal Alchemist
Soul Eater
Ao No Exorcist (Blue Exorcist).
So, I'm also watching Kiddy Grade, I'm not too into it yet, considering I've only watched 2 episodes.

FMA original, or FMA: Brotherhood? If you haven't seen Brotherhood, you should see that.
One Piece (I normally don't recommend the long-running shounen but it looks right up your alley)
Fairy Tail

Also, do you have a MAL account?
Atria35

Postby Vii » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 pm

@Smileloviene

Hmmm, good RomComs...

- Ouran High School Host Club: I adore this show. It's completely clean, but it sometimes tricks you into thinking it's not.

- Toradora: Great comedy, romance, and delves into some drama later on. There's a little bit of fanservice, but it's not that bad.

- Lovely Complex: I haven't seen this one in a while, but I remember it was highly enjoyable. Nothing objectionable as far as I remember.

- Kamisama Hajimemashita: Extremely energetic and caffeinated, with some simple, cute romance to boot. It's from the same director as Fruits Basket, so if you liked that, you should absolutely give this a try. Clean, clean, clean.
Vii

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Koneko-chan wrote:I really love comedy animes, and ones with action and adventure would awesome too. I'll list a few that I watch
Sgt. Frog
Full Metal Alchemist
Soul Eater
So, I'm also watching Kiddy Grade, I'm not too into it yet, considering I've only watched 2 episodes.

Have you tried Fruits Basket? It's another romantic/comedy shojo that a lot of people have compared Ouran to.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Koneko-chan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 pm

MAL? Sorry but what's that? >u< Fruits Basket is one of my favorites of all time, that and Tokyo Mew Mew, and Tenchi Muyo were my first few animes. Also I have begun to watch Fairy Tail a couple weeks ago. I'll try One Piece, thank chu, guys! ^u^
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Vii » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Sgt. Frog
Full Metal Alchemist
Soul Eater

Eureka Seven
Full Metal Panic
Gurren Lagann
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Koneko-chan wrote:MAL? Sorry but what's that? >u< Fruits Basket is one of my favorites of all time, that and Tokyo Mew Mew, and Tenchi Muyo were my first few animes. Also I have begun to watch Fairy Tail a couple weeks ago. I'll try One Piece, thank chu, guys! ^u^

MyAnimeList. It's an online database of anime (and manga, as well) where you can store a list of what anime you've seen. It's handy for checking to see what you've seen instead of randomly guessing.

Hmmm. Chihayafuru might interest you - entirely clean, and while the 'action' is card games it can get pretty intense. Kaiji might also be a good choice. Girls Und Panzer is surprisingly good - just stick with it a little longer than the first episode. Also, Magi is awesome and definitely one you should check out.
Atria35

Postby Koneko-chan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 pm

I'll be sure to check those out, thanks! >v<
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Hmm... I have seen Clannad, and while BOTH seasons are near and dear to my heart, I recall a little too much lewd humor to expose my sister to it just yet. I'll keep it in mind for another year or two though :)

I've read Kimi Ni Todoke and LOVE it, so I will keep it in careful consideration :D Yeah, I'll prolly leave Angel Beats and Kuragehime aside for now, but the mentions or Oran Highschool Host Club did interest me. I've heard quite a lot about it, and it sounds cute... but, doesn't it have a LOT of gay humor? Not really the kind of jokes I appreciate, but if it's not in there a lot, I might be willing to look over it.

Yeah... I've watched Toradora and am pretty sure there's too much in that as well, but I am getting interested in Kamisama Hajimemashita and Lovely Complex I'll prolly debate between them and Kimi Ni Todoke ;) Thanks again, everyone!
Smileloviene

Postby skreyola » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Can't speak to Lovely Complex, but I will say that KnT is better than Kami/Haji, although I guess it depends on how much energy you prefer. They're both good, but I think KnT is the better of the two.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Vii wrote:
Sgt. Frog
Full Metal Alchemist
Soul Eater

Eureka Seven
Full Metal Panic
Gurren Lagann

Yes to all three of these, even though I haven't finished TTGL (and probably never will). They have a little bit of everything, I find. If you're looking for a more comedy-centric series, I'd head for FMP! Fumoffu.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Smileloviene wrote: but the mentions or Oran Highschool Host Club did interest me. I've heard quite a lot about it, and it sounds cute... but, doesn't it have a LOT of gay humor? Not really the kind of jokes I appreciate, but if it's not in there a lot, I might be willing to look over it.

Where on EARTH do people get the idea that it has a ton of 'gay humor'?! There is virtually no gay humor in there - the most is the twincest thing which is a (minor) running joke because they're trying to sell themselves to a female audience (meaning the female students in the school - and in a way, is acknowledging the truth that most yaoi fans are, in fact, female, and is kinda making fun of them).
Atria35

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 am

Well there is also Haruhi's father who went a little nutty after her mother's death (and well started wearing her clothes) but he's only in like 3 or 4 episodes as I recall. Let's see that and the Hitachi twins(who as Atria35 pointed out are faking it), the only other thing I can think of is the Zuka Club, who are gay feminists to the point of parody(which come to think of it is sort of the point) but nothing truly gross ever happens in any of these instances that I can recall, anyone on this site can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
KnightOfFive

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 am

I would understand if you wanted to hold off on it for those reasons though.
KnightOfFive

Postby Smileloviene » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 am

Hahahaha, ok... good to know I heard wrong, because I have always been a little interested in that show ;) We'll probably watch it sooner or later then. Thanks!
Smileloviene

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 am

KnightOfFive wrote:Well there is also Haruhi's father who went a little nutty after her mother's death (and well started wearing her clothes) but he's only in like 3 or 4 episodes as I recall. Let's see that and the Hitachi twins(who as Atria35 pointed out are faking it), the only other thing I can think of is the Zuka Club, who are gay feminists to the point of parody(which come to think of it is sort of the point) but nothing truly gross ever happens in any of these instances that I can recall, anyone on this site can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Not quite. I'm pretty sure they say that Haruhi's dad was always a cross-dresser in the anime, but didn't want to do it when he was married to Haruhi's mom - he wanted to 'be a man' for her. He doesn't wear her clothes out of grief or anything. (And yes, the Zuko club is a total parody. Two episodes have them in it.) However, I don't know what you'd qualify as 'truly gross', so I cannot say anything to that statement.

But pretty much all the conventions about what girls *tend* to like (twincest, yaoi, gentleman, whatever) is made fun of when it's touched on (and most of it is only touched on, not explored in-depth). The anime is pretty much a huge parody where they acknowledge how ridiculous it all is.
Atria35

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm

That's mostly my point and by "gross" I mainly mean involved sexual content, groping and making out and other such of that intensity or higher. So I'm glad to see that I was basically remembering correctly.

But as i remember Haruhi's father's backstory(at least when I looked it up a while back) it seems that he rejected being a man after her death because he never wanted to love another woman. A funny point with him, (and one of the reasons I like him as a character) is that with Haruhi he still behaves like a protective father figure even now.
KnightOfFive

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

^ Well.... sort of. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: His backstory in the manga is that he was always a corss-dresser and bisexual, but fell in love with Haruhi's mom and was masculine when he met her. But he did love her so deeply that he swore never to love another woman (yeah, that implicitly leaves other men as an option). But since that's not in the anime, does not apply xD But he is a fabulous character because he's really a loving and caring dad, and in anime where you rarely see parents in the first place it's a really awesome thing to see.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey everybody, I was just wondering - does anybody know of some good anime with dancing? I already know about Princess Tutu (I actually want to re-watch it sometime soon), so no need to recommend that one.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:29 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:Hey everybody, I was just wondering - does anybody know of some good anime with dancing? I already know about Princess Tutu (I actually want to re-watch it sometime soon), so no need to recommend that one.

I wish I had better news, but....

Rideback has a mild focus on dancing. Solid anime, fairly clean.
Ashita no Nadja - star is a ballet dancer, but focus isn't really dancing.

And that's it - totally it - with outright dancing. It's just not something that anime has really explored. If you don't mind some with dance-ISH focus, there's

Kaleido Star - gymnastics/acrobatics
Ginban Kaleidescope - ice skating, but has dance/choreography
Last edited by Atria35 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Atria35 wrote:
mysngoeshere56 wrote:Hey everybody, I was just wondering - does anybody know of some good anime with dancing? I already know about Princess Tutu (I actually want to re-watch it sometime soon), so no need to recommend that one.

I wish I had better news, but....

Rideback has a mild focus on dancing. Solid anime, fairly clean.

And that's it - totally it - with outright dancing. It's just not something that anime has really explored. If you don't mind some with dance-ISH focus, there's

Kaleido Star - gymnastics/acrobatics
Ginban Kaleidescope - ice skating, but has dance/choreography

That's fine with me, and I've actually been wondering about ice skating too, but forgot to mention it. :) Thanks!
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm

^ Forgot to add Ashita no Nadja to that list. See above post for the edit.
Atria35

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:01 pm

I has a question about romeoxjuliet, I've heard on a different site that it has yuri in it, and its like, rated R or something, but the review here didn't say anything like that. My question is, which reveiw is right? Is there any yuri?
DecooPunk

Postby Vii » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

^ There's absolutely no yuri. Unless said review was using the literal meaning of yuri, which means "lily", in which case, yeah, there are plenty of very pretty lilies in this show. But in the the girl's love sense? No.

It's definitely not R rated, either. I would give it a mild PG-13. Unless you're opposed to kissing or fantasy violence, there's nothing particularly objectionable.

Also, it has a great dub.
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Vii wrote:^ There's absolutely no yuri. Unless said review was using the literal meaning of yuri, which means "lily", in which case, yeah, there are plenty of very pretty lilies in this show. But in the the girl's love sense? No.

It's definitely not R rated, either. I would give it a mild PG-13. Unless you're opposed to kissing or fantasy violence, there's nothing particularly objectionable.

Also, it has a great dub.

THIS. Whomever said it had yuri (as in romance between girls) and was rated R was trolling.

Also, I have the DVDs. They are rated PG-13.

It's a great show.

.... And since I wrote the review of it on here, I'm very sure that I'm not trolling or lying about that. (no, I'm not upset with you asking, though) There are also multiple review sites which are legit that say the same thing, like THEM anime reviews, and THEANIMEREVIEW (two separate sites - TheAnimeReview is actually run by an ordained minister, to boot). Which makes me immensely curious- which site said that it was R rated and had tons of yuri?
Atria35

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Oooh I ever thought you were trolling or anything I was just confused >.< They didn't say there was tons of yuri, but they said there was yuri in it, I have no idea what site it was.... I have tried to find it again but have not been able to.... I am so glad there is no yuri (yaaay) It looks like a really cute anime <3
DecooPunk

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm

DecooPunk wrote:Oooh I ever thought you were trolling or anything I was just confused >.< They didn't say there was tons of yuri, but they said there was yuri in it, I have no idea what site it was.... I have tried to find it again but have not been able to.... I am so glad there is no yuri (yaaay) It looks like a really cute anime <3

It's really okay. I always recommend looking at legit review sites (THEM Anime Reviews, TheAnimeReview, etc) for accurate info on anime series. These two I mentioned would have also had the same information as the review I have on here.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Okay, so there is a serious lack of sports shows in my anime diet, because currently it's only Chihayafuru. I realize most people here don't care about sports shows, but there should be a couple of you lurking about. Other than the aforementioned Chihayafuru, I also love Oofuri and want more of it nao, was moved by Cross Game, got addicted to Giant Killing, had fun with Bamboo Blade, and got far more entertainment value than I should have out of Kuroko no Basket (which is actually a fun if really dumb show). SOMEDAY I'll watch Major and Ippo but the length is a bit too great for me at the moment. SOMEDAY I might watch Area no Kishi if people tell me it's worth it. SOMEDAY I'll watch Ace wo Nerae! because it's Gunbuster with tennis. Other ideas please? I'm fine with any sport though baseball/soccer/karuta anime are more equal than others.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm

There aren't a whole lot of sports anime I'm into, but I've really enjoyed Ginban Kaleidoscope, Hikaru no Go, One Outs, and Taisho Baseball Girls. Taisho probably takes top place out of all of these at the moment - I really enjoy historical anime, and it gives off a solid Bamboo Blade-ish feel. I've also heard Moshidora is quite solid.

And while not a sport, necessarily, Girls Und Panzer is pretty solid when you get past the first episode. Yes, I'm serious about this recommendation.

... I've watched more sports anime than I really give myself credit for o.O"
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 pm

So I've been craving some Natsume's Book Of Friends lately, and since it's going to be like July before the next manga volume comes out here, I figured I might as well check out the anime (all 4 seasons of it! :thumb: ). Just curious before I do, though-- for anyone here who has both read the manga and seen the anime, how good of an adaptation is it? ('Cause-- as I'm sure you guys know by now, LOL :sweat: -- I'm kinda picky about that sort of thing, and if there are changes, I don't want to go into it with expectations I shouldn't have, etc. :P ) Thanks in advance! :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 am

^ I have a few friends who've done both, and they think the anime is a very solid adaptation of the manga. There are a few arcs that aren't in the manga, but it keeps everything in-character and really are just like stories that are in the manga, very true to the original story.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews