Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby skreyola » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:35 am

I've seen a couple of other vamipre animes, but I haven't seen the shows (title card only), so I can't say whether they'd be worth watching.
skreyola

Postby Cianter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 am

Haha, thanks so much Atria, helpful as always ^_^ I'll look into these and see which appeals to me most :)
Cianter

Postby LastLfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Donno coil sounds AWESOME.
LastLfan

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Could anyone tell me what they think the recommended age for Sword Art Online would be? I really want to watch it! Hopefully someone could tell me soon because i would like to watch it tonight.
Thanks
DecooPunk

Postby Falx » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:44 pm

MAL says it's PG-13 and I kind of agree... there's some content later in the series that kind of pushes it up a little in my opinion, but it's not over the top nor is it pervasive and the focus of the show. I suggest that you watch it, but if you come across something that seems to be over your personal limit then just skip over it.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:54 pm

thanks so much <3
DecooPunk

Postby impact777 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:48 am

Does anybody knows something about the anime "House of Five Leaves"? Concerning quality, nudity and problematic theo themes?
I have also a question to the anime "Metropolis". I can remember it was reviewed here a long time ago. Am I right that it was recommendable?
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 pm

impact777 wrote:Does anybody knows something about the anime "House of Five Leaves"? Concerning quality, nudity and problematic theo themes?
I have also a question to the anime "Metropolis". I can remember it was reviewed here a long time ago. Am I right that it was recommendable?

It's a fabulous show about a samurai drawn into a gang of theives, but they're... thieves with a purpose, really. More Robin Hood than anything else. It's slow, though, which can be offputting to people that like them fast-paced and full of action.

Nudity - none, though two samurai do happen to work in the red-light district as guardians/protectors to the girls. The only really scandelous thing that happens is that the main is hit on once or twice by the girls, but what's said is really tame.
Theological themes - none. I mean, none. Religion doesn't factor into this in any way, shape, or form.
Atria35

Postby skreyola » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Atria35 wrote:
impact777 wrote:Does anybody knows something about the anime "House of Five Leaves"? Concerning quality, nudity and problematic theo themes?

It's a fabulous show about a samurai drawn into a gang of theives, but they're... thieves with a purpose, really. More Robin Hood than anything else. It's slow, though, which can be offputting to people that like them fast-paced and full of action.

Nudity - none, though two samurai do happen to work in the red-light district as guardians/protectors to the girls. The only really scandelous thing that happens is that the main is hit on once or twice by the girls, but what's said is really tame.
Theological themes - none. I mean, none. Religion doesn't factor into this in any way, shape, or form.

Atria pretty well covered House of Five Leaves. I was going to say something about it, but I didn't remember as much as Atria said. It's worth watching, if you like a deep story and casual pacing (it is slow, but I enjoyed it).

Metropolis, I think I saw this years ago, and it's not as tame. If I recall right, there's some nudity in that one, but I saw it on VHS back when it first came out, so I may be off a bit in my recollection.
skreyola

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm

^ Ah! I can't believe I passed over the question about Metropolis. I watched it very recently, on DVD, and I'd say it's... okay? I thought the plot was half-baked - well-done for the first half but fell apart for the second half.

The only objectionable material was that There is some death onscreen, though no real gore and very little blood.
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks a lot Atria and skreyola! :)
impact777

Postby impact777 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 am

I've a question. Again. I orderd and received the anime "Eden of the East" and opened the box. There was a woman in lingerie on the backside of dark wings. I haven't read anything about that before I bought it. What is she? It's ok for me when you have to spoiler.
impact777

Postby skreyola » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:32 pm

I don't remember anything from the show about that.
skreyola

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Basically...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: She, in an act of vengeance upon men, pretends to be a loose woman to lure them into a love hotel before chaining them up and cutting off their manhood, though I can't remember if she actually does do that or if it's just a rumor. She never actually does it in the show itself.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 pm

impact777 wrote:I've a question. Again. I orderd and received the anime "Eden of the East" and opened the box. There was a woman in lingerie on the backside of dark wings. I haven't read anything about that before I bought it. What is she? It's ok for me when you have to spoiler.

What color is her hair, because SPOILER: Highlight text to read: there is blue hair girl that is in skimpy lingerie in the show.
Last edited by Neane on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:Basically...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: She, in an act of vengeance upon men, pretends to be a loose woman to lure them into a love hotel before chaining them up and cutting off their manhood, though I can't remember if she actually does do that or if it's just a rumor. She never actually does it in the show itself.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: She does, and it's reported that some men have died from it (a very brief mention on the news), but Hat's right- it never actually happens in the show. And she only appears in that outfit in, what, two brief scenes? Yeah, it's not a big part of the show, nor is there any actual sex involved or anything like that/
Atria35

Postby skreyola » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Oh, that's right. She's one of the other phone holders. Now that Mr. Hat'n'Clogs mentioned it, I remember her.
skreyola

Postby impact777 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks Atria! :)
impact777

Postby Kaori » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:59 am

Cianter wrote:Heyya guys, I was wondering if ya'll knew of any good vampire animes? No Yuri or Yaoi as always, and not too much fanservice or gore. So yea, that's all :)

Atria35 wrote:There are *veryvery* few vampire anime out there.

Karin - romcom, running joke about nosebleeds but nothing beyond that (I actually don't recommend this - I didn't think it was that good, but I adore the manga)
Shiki - horror, true to actual vampires, but because of that is pretty gorey at the end
Moonphase - comedy/romcom, not terribly gorey but plot is... lacking.
Hellsing Ultimate - very gorey but good

....... And those are it in terms of actual, recommendable vampire anime, this is it. Seriously. This is it.

I realize this question was posted a while ago, but there are others.

These are the ones that I've seen:

Vampire Hunter D (1985) - It didn't leave me with a very strong impression, but it has a line that gets quoted in Bloodlust, despite the fact that the stories of the two movies are totally different.
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2001) - The plot is somewhat shallow but otherwise decent; mainly it's incredibly beautiful eye candy and IIRC not at all gory despite having a lot of action.
Hellsing (2001) - I'm really not sure why everyone seems to despise the original TV series so much. I know its plot diverges massively from the manga, but the characters are awesome, the music is awesome, and it's just plain fun to watch if you don't mind the violence level. It's just not the sort of thing you watch for the plot--you watch it because it's a crazy, stylish, violent romp with vampires and guns and whatnot.

There are also some others I know of, but I haven't seen any of these and can't advise you on the content:

Blood+
Blood: The Last Vampire
Trinity Blood
Vampire Knight
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby impact777 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am

Here's the last part of anime I've found and of which I think it would be fun to watch them. You have helped me a lot so far! Thanks again. :) I'd be glad if you could tell me about recommendation, nudity and theological content. 1 sentence is also fine for me.

Toshokan Sensou
The Ultimate Weapon
Sensei no Ojikan
Stellvia of the Universe
Kaze no Yojimbo
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chitose Get You!
You and Me
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am

impact777 wrote:Toshokan Sensou
The Ultimate Weapon
Sensei no Ojikan
Stellvia of the Universe
Kaze no Yojimbo
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chitose Get You!
You and Me

Toshokan - nothing objectionable.
Sensei - One of the girls has a crush on the teacher (and the teacher is female), and her actions often border on molestation. Her actions would be creepy and disturbing between a boy and a girl, which can make it worse between two girls.
Kaze - I would be shocked if anyone here had watched it, since it's very much not a widely-seen anime. From what I hear, the plot is great, but don't know much about it besides that.
You and Me - clean. Very, very clean.
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks a lot Atria! :)
impact777

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:24 pm

impact777 wrote:Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

The big offensive thing in that is when the heroine's to-be love interest pulls her into an alley and says "Be quiet or I'll rape you". Nothing comes of it (he's supposed to just be reeeeeally socially inept) and it's supposed to be a joke, but it's upsetting.

If you can get past that he later tells the heroine that he likes her "in a sexual way". There's some similar awkward moments sprinkled throughout for lulz.

The show itself is really great, but it's a hard one to really recommend for those reasons. Nothing really objectionable actually happens, it's just a lot of socially inept people assuming or suggesting things.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby impact777 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 am

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks FllMtl Novelist!
impact777

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am

Hey, so I have a question yet again :)

Me and my sister are nearing the end of a series, and I'd like to find a fun, romantic comedy for us to watch. We just finished Skip Beat and LOVED it, so I was wondering it there was anything else on that level of cleanliness (and maybe a little LESS language) that you would recommend? I've been considering showing her Angel Beats or Maid-sama!, but it's been a while since I watched them and I can't remember the level of bad content in them. So, yeah, any clean, romantic comedies you would recommend?

Thanks!
Smileloviene

Postby KnightOfFive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 am

Personally,I'd recommend Clannad. It's a really cute run with an enjoyable set of characters all of whom demonstrate depth in a positive way. The humor's by and large harmless and seriously funny. The development of the romance in the plot is nice and gradual as well. I think you'd enjoy it presuming of course that you haven't watched it already.
KnightOfFive

Postby Koneko-chan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

I really love comedy animes, and ones with action and adventure would awesome too. I'll list a few that I watch
Ouran High School Host Club
Sgt. Frog
Full Metal Alchemist
Soul Eater
Ao No Exorcist (Blue Exorcist).
So, I'm also watching Kiddy Grade, I'm not too into it yet, considering I've only watched 2 episodes.
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Smileloviene wrote:Hey, so I have a question yet again :)

Me and my sister are nearing the end of a series, and I'd like to find a fun, romantic comedy for us to watch. We just finished Skip Beat and LOVED it, so I was wondering it there was anything else on that level of cleanliness (and maybe a little LESS language) that you would recommend? I've been considering showing her Angel Beats or Maid-sama!, but it's been a while since I watched them and I can't remember the level of bad content in them. So, yeah, any clean, romantic comedies you would recommend?

Thanks!

Kimi ni Todoke. Completely and utterly clean. You cannot go wrong with it.
Angel Beats has all that blood and gore. It's not often but when it's there, it's there. It's also most definitely NOT a romcom.
Kuragehime - Very clean, very funny, but it does have a cross-dresser (he's straight, but he does cross-dress).
Ouran Host Club - also quite clean and hilarious.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews