What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:55 am

There's been some interesting reading, but I'm here too late to comment on it. I don't have a list of books I've been reading, though I will mention a few that I'd recommend to people interested in the subjects:
  • Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku: extrapolating near future technology from current research
  • Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell: rethinking what "exceptional" means
  • The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking: great if you want an introductory quantum physics book
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt: using statistics to test conventional wisdom or qualitative statements
  • The Upside of Irrationality by Dan Areily: psychological experiments to test common beliefs

I've increasingly been using Goodreads to track my reading. Anyone here use it? There are some people here I've been following for a long time, so if you have Goodreads accounts I'd like to know about them, since regular CAA access doesn't seem likely in the near future.
uc pseudonym

Postby Neane » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Read Roland Topor's short novel "The Tenant". It was a deliciously sadistic reading. It's the story about a shy and anonymous bureaucrat named Trelkovsky who rents an apartment previously owned by an eccentric woman who has now committed suicide, allowing Trelkovsky to take over the lease. Throughout his vacancy our humble protagonist experiences bizzarre behaviour from his increasingly hostile neighbors, often waking up at nights to the cacophony of symphonic banging coming from the walls, as if every other tenant is conspiring to destroy him. As the conspiracy against poor Trelkovsky unfurls we are presented with the complete nullification of an individual and his fragile sense of self. The question of individuality in a world of absolute social conformity and collectivism is voiced by Trelkovsky midway through the tale: "If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?" What right indeed. This is a very, very good book, bit disturbing as well, and anyone with a sweet tooth for fear, paranoia, and metaphysical destruction will find their share of such savories in Topor's "The Tenant".

Atria35 (post: 1560055) wrote:Finally read Sandman v 1- They had it at my hoetown library. It was pretty neat.

I have a question, have you read Maus yet?

If not, You should. Go check it out, it's very likely to be in your local library since it's considered an essential read.
I believe that this is something everyone should read.

If you wish, I can give recommendations for other comics and graphic novels. It's extremely seldom that I meet anime fans that are very enthusiastic towards western comics, especially if it originates from the US. The US offers a variety of stories and genres other than superheroes, it's just that they are not in the mainstream regardless of how much critical acclaim they receive.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Neane (post: 1567032) wrote:I have a question, have you read Maus yet?

If not, You should. Go check it out, it's very likely to be in your local library since it's considered an essential read.
I believe that this is something everyone should read.

If you wish, I can give recommendations for other comics and graphic novels. It's extremely seldom that I meet anime fans that are very enthusiastic towards western comics, especially if it originates from the US. The US offers a variety of stories and genres other than superheroes, it's just that they are not in the mainstream regardless of how much critical acclaim they receive.

Unfortunately, I have not read that one yet. I looked for it at the library, and they didn't have it :( They did have Persepolis, though, which I thought was brilliant. And I'm always up for things non-superhero when it comes to Western Comics. And I am definitely for-sure going to follow the rest of Sandman. After thinking about what I read, all I can say is that this first volume was dark, with depth, and absolutely amazing.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Atria35 (post: 1567039) wrote: I'm always up for things non-superhero when it comes to Western Comics.

Try the following:

Habibi
Black Hole
Epipleptic
A Contract With God
I Kill Giants
Blankets
Y: The Last Man
Strangers in Paradise
Phonogram
Daytripper
Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth
Nelson
Arzak - Or almost anything by Moebius
Lucifer
Pride of Baghdad

I have more, but this should be enough for now.
Neane

Postby Kaori » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 am

Tyndale New Testament Commentaries: The Gospel According to St. John by R.V.G. Tasker. After the introduction, each chapter gives an overview of a section of the Gospel of John, then has some additional linguistic/translation notes. It’s not technical, so the language is at a level that a layperson can comprehend, but it also isn't extremely watered-down the way that many books are that cater to the general public. I found it valuable and accessible, but my recommendation can be taken with a grain of salt, I guess, because 1) I’ve yet to read any other commentaries cover-to-cover (on the Gospel of John or any other gospel) and 2) I’m not a biblical scholar by training, so if the author has made errors are misrepresented information, I have no way of knowing.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 am

Upstairs Girls: Prostitution in the American West. This goes into the real truth about what prostitution was like, not what Hollywood tends to portray, and a lot of it is just *heartbreaking*, like how Chinese girls were bought and sold as slaves while the authorities turned a blind eye to it. Lots of cry-worthy things here!
Atria35

Postby Neane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 am

Started J. Tainter's "Collapse of Complex Societies". Awesome stuff.
Also reading The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan. The book is very good. Talks about how plants have traits that caused them to be widely recognized by humans who bred these plants. It covers some of the human emotions that led to these plants becoming so popular; the apple and human's desire for sweetness, the tulip and beauty, and the potato for genetic control.
Neane

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 am

[quote="Neane (post: 1568172)"]Started J. Tainter's "Collapse of Complex Societies". Awesome stuff.
Also reading The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan. The book is very good. Talks about how plants have traits that caused them to be widely recognized by humans who bred these plants. It covers some of the human emotions that led to these plants becoming so popular]

The J. Tainter grabbed my attention ? What are his themes/topics in that book ? Have you read Jared Diamond, and how do they compare ?
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:23 pm

I just started rereading the Peter and the Starcatchers series. It's the prequel to Disney's Peter Pan, and I think it's pretty good. I was in a play that was also a prequel of Peter Pan (I played the narrator in the first act and Peter in the second), but I like the book version better. It's more fun.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:35 am

Black Ships - it's the story of the founding of Troy, I believe, and it's actually really cool.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 am

Finished more Terry Prachette - specifically, Eric and Moving Pictures. MP was better than Eric - I wasn't that amused by Eric all that much.
Atria35

Postby Jolly Roger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 am

Homer's The Iliad.

I know you're, like, not allowed to dislike classic literature but I am finding most of the book is hard to read through.

Like The Odyssey MUCH more.
Jolly Roger

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 am

Atria35 (post: 1573034) wrote:Finished more Terry Prachette - specifically, Eric and Moving Pictures. MP was better than Eric - I wasn't that amused by Eric all that much.

Eric was okay. It certainly is one of the weaker Discworld novels. I was amused by its 'Helen of Troy' segment, though. Moving Pictures is great, however.

Currently I'm reading one of two books, between which I alternate. The first is Killing Kebble, a non-fiction book about crime, gangsterism and government corruption within post-Apartheid South Africa, and centres around the death of mining magnate Brett Kebble. Extremely good reading, it starts with the 'lower criminals' and works it way up.

The second book is Gene Wolfe's Home Fires, a multi-genre science fiction book that could almost pass for a sequel to Voices of a Distant Star. A 49 year old lawyer in a North America that's veering towards dystopia is informed that his wife is returning from space. They had spent only weeks together as a married couple when war broke out in space. She left on a tour of duty and returns to what was for her a few months but for him 25 years. They leave on a cruise to get re-acquainted only to find them facing several unexpected challenges. This is a somewhat literate novel and will not be everyone's taste (as Wolfe eschews things like action scenes) but so far I'm enjoying it.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GeneD » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:51 am

Finished Lords and Ladies which means I have now read all the Discworld novels, except for Where's My Cow? and The World of Poo, but I don't know if those are officially part of the novel series or not.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:31 pm

The Joy Luck Club - I never read this in HS, but reading it now is a wonderful thing.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:14 am

Killing Lincoln
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 am

Imager by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

A very good book. Great attention to detail in the worldbuilding, well written; the only complaint I have is that despite its length it is obviously not meant to be read alone, it lacks a good climax, but leaves the story open to continue building into the second volume.

I recommended it as a book that I stayed up stupidly late reading. XD
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby SierraLea » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm

The Hawk and the Jewel. I liked it so much that I finished the 347 page book in two days. I'm so glad it's part of a series!
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Maokun » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:18 am

Atria35 (post: 1573034) wrote:Finished more Terry Prachette - specifically, Eric and Moving Pictures. MP was better than Eric - I wasn't that amused by Eric all that much.

I'm up to Feet of Clay and yeah Eric is the weakest of his books so far. The best are those about Death or the Night Watch. As much as I like Rincewind as a character, his books tend to be the weakest.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

I am more than halfway done with "The City of Ember". I am LOVING this book! It's so fascinating. I've wanted to see the movie ever since the trailer, and still haven't gotten the chance, then I found out IT'S A BOOK! So I will watch the film when I am done with this to compare. Admittedly, the book is a bit slow, but everything is worth reading considering the unique place they are situated in.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1575317) wrote:I am more than halfway done with "The City of Ember". I am LOVING this book! It's so fascinating. I've wanted to see the movie ever since the trailer, and still haven't gotten the chance, then I found out IT'S A BOOK! So I will watch the film when I am done with this to compare. Admittedly, the book is a bit slow, but everything is worth reading considering the unique place they are situated in.

I really enjoy the book series as well (it's actually a series, and Book of Ember is the first one, and the only one they adapted into a movie). I think they both work well together, since there's good information in the book that you don't get in the movie, but the movie has great visuals and politics that compliment what the books gives.

Which reminds me that I REALLY need to read the rest of it, since I really liked the first two books!

Currently reading The Simarillion.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Atria35 (post: 1575323) wrote:I really enjoy the book series as well (it's actually a series, and Book of Ember is the first one, and the only one they adapted into a movie). I think they both work well together, since there's good information in the book that you don't get in the movie, but the movie has great visuals and politics that compliment what the books gives.

Which reminds me that I REALLY need to read the rest of it, since I really liked the first two books!

Oh, awewintastic! I was thinking of lending you book one, but since you have it, nevermind. LOL. Ah yes I know it's a series, which excites me. I need to get my hands on the others when I am done with this <333 Can't wait 'till I can watch the movie. My younger cousins told me it was good, and you seem approving yourself.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:21 am

I recently read Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb. It wasn't as satisfactory of an ending to the trilogy as I was hoping, but it was still really exciting, and a very good book all around. I truly admire Hobb's ability - she had me sobbing my heart out in chapter 3, tearing up at countless parts, and getting so involved with the characters and the world that I felt like I was actually there. I definitely recommend this trilogy to anyone who wants a good fantasy read with believable characters.

Now I'm starting Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:44 am

I truly admire Hobb's ability to create fascinating good guys. Not every author can do that. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Currently reading: Empress of the World by Sara Ryan - a recommendation from a friend a while back.
yukoxholic

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Finished The City of Ember. GREAT BOOK! I already re-read Chapter 1 again, this is definitely a book you can read over!

I will totally be getting the second book.

AnimeGirl

Postby bakura91 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I just finished Brief History of Time, the 1st Hunger Games book and Ace Frehley's memoir. Right now I'm reading A Very Strange Trip(No I'm not a Scientologist, Its one of his pulp Scifi novels they dont have anything to do with Dianetics or any of that stuff.) Its a fun pulpy quick read about time travel. If you like those kinda goofy adventure stories like I do you might like it, the thickness of the book makes it look longer than it is but its not that long. If your familiar with his fiction(non Scientology related) writings it does have his awkward 50's way of writing the dialog of minorities (in this case Native Americans) but its pretty fun if your not put off by that.
bakura91

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 am

I finished Angel Train, and Oregon Trail story with more than its share of romance and great Christian themes. I highly recommend it to any all all christian historical fiction readers.
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Just finished The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. Currently reading The Firm by John Grisham.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:40 pm

[B]“The Four Hour Work Weekâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner