What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Vii » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 am

The Muppets (The new 2011 one) -
I was expecting better, especially since my friend said he really liked it. I dunno, it was nice, fairly predictable, and had a few good songs, but it failed to entertain me the way older Muppet shows did. And the main new puppet character...Walter? Yeah, he annoyed me the whole way through. I'm really not sure if that was the intention, or if he was supposed to be sympathetic in some way, or...
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 am

Saw Avengers for a second time, and then watched Thor. Thor really needed to be 2 movies. It had some good plot points, but really was waaaay too rushed. Avengers remains awesome.

Oh! Also saw Dark Shadows. It had some good moments, but was ultimately forgettable. But I loved the Alice Cooper part.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 am

Because I apparently missed out during my childhood, I watched The Neverending Story yesterday. I like the concept behind it, but I'm not too fond of the execution, especially the creature design. Almost everything in the movie looked very ugly and drab, which isn't at all what I would think the world of our hopes and dreams should look like.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:11 pm

10 Things I Hate About You, one of those 90's "Shakespeare in High School" flicks. Aside from Heath Ledger RIP and chibi Joseph Gordon-Levitt FTW, it's a pretty stupid movie.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:45 am

Saw movies that were obviously worlds apart in terms of content.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I really really enjoyed this movie. Great humour, great dialogue. Not everyone's cup of tea though, mostly because of the graphic violence. Also, you'd have to have some idea of how the type of horror movies they're spoofing works.

Red Cliff I & II. John Woo's epic to end all epics. Most people have seen the condensed Theatrical cut (I have not) which combines both films into one. I've seen the full version in one sitting (which is close to five hours). It was difficult to follow for several reasons at the beginning (similar sounding names, rapid dialogue that translates into rapid subtitles, meaning you miss some information) but as the story's flow became less rushed and we got to know the characters better the film became quite entertaining. Even at 5 hours lenght it never felt like the film lagged at all. It is not a serious war film (though it tries to be at times) but as an action adventure film it's rather good. The final siege (lasting about 40 minutes) is well handled. I can nit-pick this film to bits if I want to but it's still a pretty good accomplishment.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby SierraLea » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:30 am

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1554905) wrote:Avengers, so awesome it should be illegal. Bravo Joss Whedon Bravo!

Just saw that last night. I can't wait until it comes out on disk!
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby impact777 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Battle Royale
Good movie. Pretty brutal though.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:29 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1564377) wrote:Red Cliff I & II. John Woo's epic to end all epics. Most people have seen the condensed Theatrical cut (I have not) which combines both films into one. I've seen the full version in one sitting (which is close to five hours). It was difficult to follow for several reasons at the beginning (similar sounding names, rapid dialogue that translates into rapid subtitles, meaning you miss some information) but as the story's flow became less rushed and we got to know the characters better the film became quite entertaining. Even at 5 hours lenght it never felt like the film lagged at all. It is not a serious war film (though it tries to be at times) but as an action adventure film it's rather good. The final siege (lasting about 40 minutes) is well handled. I can nit-pick this film to bits if I want to but it's still a pretty good accomplishment.

I never saw the theatrical cut either. I LOVED this movie. I have soft spots in my heart for epic adventures and for cheesy kung fu, and this film hit the spot.

Yesterday I watched The Rock, starring Sean Connery, Nicholas Cage, and Michael Bay's signature helicopters at sunset shot. It was exciting, but there were parts of the action that I was watching thinking, "Now this is just silly." But it's much better than Bay's more recent... er... "films."
Yuki-Anne

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:38 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1564502) wrote:I never saw the theatrical cut either. I LOVED this movie. I have soft spots in my heart for epic adventures and for cheesy kung fu, and this film hit the spot.

I can be ambivalent towards cheesy kung fu films but I have a love for great epic films, and will always give them the benefit of the doubt. Being a John Woo film it was also visually beautiful, particularly the battle towards the end. I'm curious also to see the shorter version as well, now, just to compare.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Saving Grace - I'm talking the one starring Tim Conti, and it's a really unknown little Christian film about a Pope that gets locked out of the Vatical and goes on a spiritual journey to a little town that he heard needed a priest. It was a fantastic, touching movie. I laughed so hard I cried at one point, and definitely shed a tear or two. It was a lovely film and I really hope more people watch it.

The Hidden Children - I'm also on a WW2 kick, and some of these stories will tear your heart in two! It's about Jewish children that were hidden in Christian families, and man. Just heart-rendering.

Hididng and Seeking - Another documentary about WW2, and about a man who's seeking to open the world to his two children because of a hate message he heard. It was decent, not great, but it was nice to see them open up the more they traveled and met the people that saved their ancestors.

Mary and Max - This is not a family-friendly stop-motion film, but at the same time, it has a strange charm to it that I really enjoyed. Favorite line? "In America, babies don't come fro the bottom of beer bottles. I asked my mom when I was four. They are laid by Jewish rabbis. If you're not Jewish, they're laid by Catholic nuns. If you're aetheist, they're laid by poor, lonely prostitutes."
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Enemy of the State: Aside from Will Smith, who is almost always entertaining to watch, this movie was really "meh." The miracles that this movie thinks computers can do broke right through my suspension of disbelief at one point. Pretty forgettable.

Red Eye: I saw this in cheap seats back in the day, but it had been long enough that I still found it entertaining. It's a tense, tight thriller, if not particularly original, and Cillian Murphy turns in a wonderful performance that both charms and chills.
Yuki-Anne

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am

Frozen, a thriller about three college students who get stuck on a chairlift. I thought it was really good; the interactions between the characters and their reactions to the horrible situation were very realistic, I felt. I like movies like this, that put people in a really bizarre situation and show just the way humans are. I also discovered a new level of gore that I can't handle - broken bones protruding from the skin *cringes*

I also decided to indulge my childhood and watch Bolt again. Love that movie. "The impossible can become possible - IF - YOU'RE - AWESOME!!!" :lol:

And I also watched Balto, one of those childhood classics that I never got around to seeing when I was actually a kid. It was pretty good, though some parts made me roll my eyes. Nothing earth-shattering, but fun all the same.

On a whim, I also watched Take Shelter, an indie movie I saw on a plane about a year ago. It's a very slow-paced, thoughtful movie about a guy who starts getting paranoid delusions about a huge storm coming. I find it fascinating, but I know it's not for everyone.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Just finished watching "Snow Falling on Cedars."

This was a beautiful tale of two lovers living in two worlds where they cannot be with each other. A thrilling tale of war, prejudice, learning of what can change and what cannot be changed, and also having the chance to move on and let go. This movie is both a sad, yet heartwarming tale .
It certainly gave me a tear or two.
Neane

Postby samurai10 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Just finished watching "The Avengers" in 3D in a theater.

Ho.

Ly.

Mo.

Ly.

O_O That was one of the most epic movies I've ever seen. Most DEFINITELY better than Thor, and Black Widow was bad***. So were Thor, the Hulk, Captain America, etc. etc..... And Loki was just....<3
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 pm

[quote="the_wolfs_howl (post: 1566628)"]Frozen, a thriller about three college students who get stuck on a chairlift. I thought it was really good]

Frozen was a great flick. The survival horror sub genre is a genre I would love to see more of. Open Water was another good one.

I watched Prometheous a really great Sci-fi flick. Felt like a film from the 80's, you know when sci-fi was more original.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Neane » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Finally watched Mulholland Drive.
Neane

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Turner and Hooch: [spoiler]The dog dies.[/spoiler]

Deceived: A 90's thriller that did a really good job building slowly and coming to a decent climax. Not bad.

The First Power: Lou Diamond Philips as a cop going after a creepy Satanist serial killer. Hilariously bad. I loved it! XD

Bed of Roses: A romance that's way more boring and non-sexy than it sounds. Christian Slater is a creepy florist who stalks a crying lady. It is female wish-fulfillment fantasy EVEN WORSE THAN TWILIGHT. Because at least Twilight has some semblance of actions scenes from time to time.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Vii » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Prometheus - Quite good, especially toward the end. Be forewarned, I wouldn't watch this if you have a weak stomach.
[spoiler]
For whatever reason, I giggled a few times at the really gross parts. I dunno why...
And at the end: JUST TURN LEFT OR RIGHT WHILE YOU RUN AND YOU WON'T GET SQUISHED BY THE GIANT SPACESHIP. My goodness...

I desperately want to know the history of those fish-like people (They look a lot like the Zora race from Legend of Zelda to me). I'm honestly really, really curious about it. I would be fine with a whole spin-off movie being made that centered around them, though I doubt that'll happen. I do hope they make a sequel movie where the lady and the robot-guy find out what happened to the zora-people.

That aside, this movie had some interesting views on how the world began, and well as a few things mentioned about life after death. I didn't really expect that at all.[/spoiler]
Vii

Postby TheMewster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 am

Most recently? One for the Money. It's based on a book series my mom likes.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Hot Pursuit: John Cusack misses his flight for a cruise with his girlfriend's family, and his quest to catch up with them turns into a modern-day swashbuckling adventure.
Yuki-Anne

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 pm

The Abyss. An enjoyable sci fi romp.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 pm

500 Days of Summer. I love this movie.
Yuki-Anne

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 pm

The Secret of Kells - A very unique art style, and wonderful to watch a movie that's all about Ireland (the music! *swoons*). The story itself wasn't earth-shattering, but it was pleasant enough to watch.

I also rewatched X-Men Origins: Wolverine, because I couldn't remember exactly how it turned out and I always love me some Wolverine action :grin:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:39 pm

I just finished the second Sherlock Holmes. sadly, it went the same way as National Treasure, with less cool sleuthy stuff and more fighting. It was still excellent, though.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Neane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Another Earth (2011) - This movie sucked, just really sucked. Boring, cliche, and stupid.
Neane

Postby GeneD » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:35 am

Finally watched The Avengers and boy was it a fun ride. I really enjoyed the movie and was pleasantly surprised by some of the performances that I was worried about, namely Black Widow and the Hulk.

[spoiler]I want a giant metal space turtle now.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 am

Shark Night....well it was a movie...

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Neane » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Solaris (1972) - Utterly Brilliant.
Solaris (2002) - Not as good as the original (in fact far from the original), but this is still a very worthy film.
Neane

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 am

Gojira / Godzilla: King of the Monsters: I must have been 6 when I saw my first Godzilla movie. For some reason I just accepted the creature's existence and did not bother asking why a creature like this was going about battling monsters. The film I saw was Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, aka Godzilla vs. Hedorah. I can also fondly remember, whilst older, Godzilla vs King Kong. So I decided to see the original film that started it all and bought a DVD set with both the original 'Godzilla' on it as well as its American bowdlerization. The strangest thing you can say about the original version is that it is weirdly a movie of some depth. The depth comes into the hints and context of the film, which was clearly built as an anti-nuclear film. Many scenes evoke World War II, Hiroshima, and there are many references to the lasting effects of atomic bombs, like radioactive tuna and such. Also, in the build-up to the climax, where Godzilla stomps Tokyo, there is much adherence to science and political process, more than you'd expect from a story involving a giant lizard. The special effects were rather good at times (and not so good at others). I was also pleased to see Takashi Shimura in the film. That said, I found the whole romantic subplot between the girl, her marine boyfriend and the eye-patched mad scientist Serizawa a bit trite. Also, the atomic breath looks fake. Sorry.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 pm

My Sister's Keeper - I've rarely felt so completely torn on a movie. On the one hand, I was bawling my eyes out through half of the movie because it's so easy for me to imagine what it would be like if one of my siblings were dying. But on the other hand, there were all these little things in it that I didn't like and that ultimately have convinced me not to recommend it. The emotion was right, I just didn't feel they brought it across in a way I appreciated very much. A movie that does this thing better, I think, is The Christmas Shoes.

Reign Over Me - Okay, I admit it - I watched this purely because they play Shadow of the Colossus in it :P But it turned out to be a surprisingly touching story about two college roommates - one whose life has completely fallen apart and is suffering from severe PTSD, and one whose life is stable and successful. It's all about friendship and learning how to communicate. Really uplifting, in a way that My Sister's Keeper didn't quite reach.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment