What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 am

Vracer111 (post: 1539757) wrote:Can't recommend enough the recently released in theaters John Carter (of Mars) if you like Science-Fantasy Adventure movies.

Squee~ My dad and I saw that movie when it first came to theaters AT MIDNIGHT!!! We arrived kind of tired, but left FULL OF ENERGY. Who needs energy drinks? Just watch John Carter!! It was an excellent film, and one of the best I had seen IN A LONG TIME. I literally began cheering in the theater, it was that good. Now I wanna get my hands on the book, because I know it would be a fun read (with probably more detail, since naturally movie versions have to cut). I found out it's a series, and this was based on the first book (which means hopefully they'll be more).

Today, we're gonna watch it again, but IN 3D THIS TIME! (We wanted to make sure it was good first before dishing out the money for that XD)
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby rocklobster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1540340) wrote:Squee~ My dad and I saw that movie when it first came to theaters AT MIDNIGHT!!! We arrived kind of tired, but left FULL OF ENERGY. Who needs energy drinks? Just watch John Carter!! It was an excellent film, and one of the best I had seen IN A LONG TIME. I literally began cheering in the theater, it was that good. Now I wanna get my hands on the book, because I know it would be a fun read (with probably more detail, since naturally movie versions have to cut). I found out it's a series, and this was based on the first book (which means hopefully they'll be more).

Today, we're gonna watch it again, but IN 3D THIS TIME! (We wanted to make sure it was good first before dishing out the money for that XD)

For the record, the writer of John Carter also wrote the Tarzan books. So, you might want to check those out if you find the books to your liking.
Anyway, just watched The Chaperone, with Triple-H, last night. It was actually better than I thought it would be. It wasn't exactly art, but it was entertaining.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 pm

The Lorax - While it had some definite padding, and I wished they had used more of the rhymes in the story, the story itself held pretty true to the original story.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

I went to the midnight premier of Hunger Games, even though I don't really care for the first book. It was surprisingly good. I didn't enjoy the camera work on one fight in particular, but story-wise I have very few minor complaints.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:13 am

Saw Hunger games, enjoyed it a lot. This movie wanted a R-rating, but thanks to it being a Young adult film it had shaky violence so it could be Pg-13. It was pretty strongly edited.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Last night I watched Titan A.E., which is a surprisingly good animated sci-fi movie (somewhat reminiscent of Treasure Planet in terms of style) despite its (at times blatant) similarities to Star Wars. The characters were all distinct and interesting, and the animation was top-notch for 2000 :thumb:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Not a movie but watching The Tudors... which is kind of like a loooong movie rather than a show, lol. I really like it save for the constant pointless nudity and I don't think there's been an episode yet that didn't have some kind of sex scene... but other than that, it's really interesting. Probably start watching Game of Thrones after this which I hear is also really good.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Game of thrones is fantastic but it has the same hatred toward clothing.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:18 am

I last watched Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It was surprisingly good! Unsurprisingly, taking Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley out of a movie does wonders for it :P I feel like this should be the real sequel to Curse of the Black Pearl.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Rise of the planet of the apes, man why didn't I see this sooner. A surprise to say the least.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 am

The Hunger Games.... only saw it because everyone said it was good but didn't really know much about it aside from games where kids fight to the death till one winner... which made it sound interesting so we saw this tonight.

I liked it a lot. It was fun. It could have been better IMO though just by getting a new director I think. The whole movie felt like it was filmed by a guy with Parkinson's... It did seem like it wanted to be R but I think with some creative filming, they could have made a good movie and STILL got the pg-13 rating with a decent director.

I also thought the first half was better than the second. I liked the build up and I think I began expecting too much of the game. First of all, since its a trilogy, I thought the game would last at least the course of two and this would end on a cliffhanger. So I thought the games would be a little more developed with more survival skills in place and clever ways of dispatching people ala Rambo. Or The Most Dangerous Game or something. Especially after seeing her make that trap (which they did nothing with).

Had some other problems with it too but it turns out most of these things are answered in the book. Movie left out a lot of important info IMO. I don't think you should have to go read a book to understand a movie... but anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. It was a fun film to sit through.
Scarecrow

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:14 pm

The Blinde Side
Spectacular film. Hardly any faults.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Maokun » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:32 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1544233) wrote:I last watched Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It was surprisingly good! Unsurprisingly, taking Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley out of a movie does wonders for it :P I feel like this should be the real sequel to Curse of the Black Pearl.

Really? I liked "At World's End" much, much better. The conflict in OST is almost nothing compared to Davy Jones and the Pirate King.

I watched Source Code, one of those Matrix-like movies. Quite good but felt somewhat ultimately undeveloped; the application of the smallest nuance of scientific consideration will leave it a hollow corpse ridden with gaping plot holes. Inception, this ain't.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

Watched Scar "3d" last night for my blog. Overall not terrible and also I watched Cormans World, it was a interesting documentary on Roger Corman. It featured interviews from dozens of big name stars and directors that Corman helped get there start.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Watched a big chunk of Jesus. It was good I guess.

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Just watched The Hunger Games. I refused to read and/or watch it for a really long time, but my sister drug me to the theater and forced me to. Needless to say, I regret not trying it earlier and I am now borrowing the books from her.
_GazeRockMei_

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Mirror, Mirror - When it was good, it was good. When it was off, it turned to MEH. There were some pretty obvious places where some of the story had been cut, but somebody didn't tell the person who was shooting or cutting the scenes together. [spoiler]Like the whole dagger thing. It appeared in the very beginning, and then was totally overlooked until the end, where it also seemed to gain some sort of magic power while it was being passed around. It came out of *nowhere*, was obviously supposed to be a rather big plot thing, but it never happened.[/spoiler]
Loved how developed the Queen got, even if it was in how self-centered and evil she was. She had some of the best scenes!
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Atria35 (post: 1546549) wrote:Mirror, Mirror - When it was good, it was good. When it was off, it turned to MEH. There were some pretty obvious places where some of the story had been cut, but somebody didn't tell the person who was shooting or cutting the scenes together. [spoiler]Like the whole dagger thing. It appeared in the very beginning, and then was totally overlooked until the end, where it also seemed to gain some sort of magic power while it was being passed around. It came out of *nowhere*, was obviously supposed to be a rather big plot thing, but it never happened.[/spoiler]
Loved how developed the Queen got, even if it was in how self-centered and evil she was. She had some of the best scenes!

I still am really uncertain of my thoughts on this one. I am super excited for Snowwhite and the Huntsman so this one in comparison looks just too polar opposite. I have never been a huge Julia Roberts person so her part in this looks just annoying.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:43 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1546569) wrote:I still am really uncertain of my thoughts on this one. I am super excited for Snowwhite and the Huntsman so this one in comparison looks just too polar opposite. I have never been a huge Julia Roberts person so her part in this looks just annoying.

I second that. The humor is just really bland and seems to re-cut old jokes.

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:43 am

Maokun (post: 1545199) wrote:Really? I liked "At World's End" much, much better. The conflict in OST is almost nothing compared to Davy Jones and the Pirate King.

I was actually comparing it more to Dead Man's Chest. I liked At World's End considerably more than Dead Man's Chest, but I still like On Stranger Tides much more than either of them. I think it really comes down to focusing once more on the real main character again, rather than obsessing over several other more annoying characters.

Anyway, I watched Signs and The Village again with my roommates. Ah, Shyamalan. You did have a few gems in there....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:27 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1546632) wrote:I was actually comparing it more to Dead Man's Chest. I liked At World's End considerably more than Dead Man's Chest, but I still like On Stranger Tides much more than either of them. I think it really comes down to focusing once more on the real main character again, rather than obsessing over several other more annoying characters.

My problem with On Stranger Tides is that was really random. Some stuff felt really forced, I mean. Others just didn't add to the plot or change the characters.

One of the many moments I didn't get was this...

[spoiler]Angelica's lament that she loved Jack felt really forced. She picks the moment after Jack lets her father die (She also was really angry about it) to admit that he loves him?

They didn't really handle the whole "Character development" thing well either. In fact, they hardly used it. Just suddenly, "Hey, I love you! I have a baby!"[/spoiler]

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Neane » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Watching The Ten Commandments on TV. A movie from back when Hollywood made good movies.
Neane

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Neane (post: 1546850) wrote:Watching The Ten Commandments on TV. A movie from back when Hollywood made good movies.

Awesome, I heard that movie was really great!

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 am

The remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... Umm... pretty much just like the original. Don't understand why it was remade cause it doesn't really bring much to the table. I started falling asleep cause I felt like I had already seen this movie. I did like the opening credits though. Could have picked a different song but whatever.

IMO, they're both decent movies but if you've seen one, no use seeing the other IMO. The remake was just as good as the original and it's really just personal preference which one is better but no need to see both unless you just love the movie or something.
Scarecrow

Postby GeneD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:28 am

I watched the 2011 Three Musketeers movie last night. The script is quite atrocious and it's a wonder the actors managed to say their lines without cracking up. The hammy acting was quite funny though and the action wasn't bad.

Also watched the Sorcerer's Apprentice this morning, though not right from the start. It was not as bad as I thought it would be, especially considering how much I don't like Nic Cage.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 am

GeneD (post: 1547084) wrote:I watched the 2011 Three Musketeers movie last night. The script is quite atrocious and it's a wonder the actors managed to say their lines without cracking up. The hammy acting was quite funny though and the action wasn't bad.

Weird coincidence. I saw last night myself. It was quite silly but I enjoyed it in a 'well, you don't see that everyday' kind of way (particularly the Notre Dame climax). So many good actors so badly used, though. I at least hoped that Christoph Waltz could have had some better dialogue, though he still had some of the best bits.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Cabin in the Woods, the best horror film of the past few years.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm watching The Emperor's New Groove! :) I love this movie. <3
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Neane » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Finally watched Citizen Kane, . The camera angles, the sceneries, the clothing, the hundreds of actors, everything yelled high budget and an invitation to a story regarding the turbulent life of a famous personality. And Kane was presented as a flawed man in terms of emotions and not of actions. Some parts may felt silly, [spoiler]such as his affair with a hooker during the pre-election period. Could such a man be tricked so easily by such a childish scam? Also, we are never shown him dealing with the mafia or other criminal activities whatsoever, which feels unreal for someone so powerful not being up to the ears inside shady operations.[/spoiler] Yet all that didn't take away that much from the entertainment of the film, as Kane and his closest people were presented all the way as people. Not caricatures or over-the-top (aside from some quirky mannerisms). It was a tale of human pathos that shows money is not enough to reach happiness. It showed how power can gradually corrupt anyone into a selfish and self-destructive personality, unable to love or be loved by anyone.
Neane

Postby metolosophy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 am

We watched the Titanic at home last night for the 100th anniversary of the sinking, and then I watched Aladdin with my little brother. And this week in my U.S History class we will be watching Saving Private Ryan to commence our study of WWII; I hope its not TOO gory, because unfortunately I have the class right before lunch. ^L^
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment