What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 am

Starting Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. Don't criticize me.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby sarahjoy78 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:24 am

Right now, I just finished the last book of the Harry Potter series! Favorite series ever!
Read the whole series in 1 week.... !!! :D
sarahjoy78

Postby Rylynn4869 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 am

I read The Martyr's Song by Ted Dekker last week and started Cliff Graham's Lion of War series, beginning with Day of War.

the_wolfs_howl wrote:...Does that book by any chance have some connection to Avi's book Crispin: The Cross of Lead?

Yes, it's the sequel. It was really good! If you read the first one, I highly recommend it! It begins exactly where The Cross of Lead ends.
[SIZE="2"]We've all got wounds, we've all got scars
Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it's hard
Don't give up hope, don't give up hope

'Cause He's got those wounds, and He's got those scars
And with His blood He heals our hearts
He is our hope, He is our hope!
~Don't Give Up the Fight by Revive[/SIZE]
Rylynn4869

Postby Adorima » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Rylynn2869: Ted Dekker is a master craftsman of the psychological/spiritual thrillers. Isn't he?

I'm already 1/3 through Ted Dekker's Adam. and I just borrowed it yesterday night. lol.

I'll try not to use the juvenile omgosh here more than once.

Omgosh, this book is so freaking sad and haunting and thrilling all at the same time! *weeps*
It's about a forensic profiler for the FBI whose tracking down a male serial killer dubbed Eve who kills beautiful, young, blonde women. Eve is religiously motivated, and this famous profiler is an atheist. Early on in the book the two encounter one another and Daniel (FBI profiler/field agent) dies. He is resuscitated after 20 minutes of clinical death and continues to experience inexplicable panic attacks. Still he continues to chase Eve because now Eve has Daniel's wife. The FBI's and Daniel's chase is not only one against time, but braving his fears; plunging into the labyrinth of Eve's past and mind, as well finding an answer for the evil that is beginning to take shape within Daniel.
Adorima

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I just finished Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, and will start reading the next book in the Malazan series, Deadhouse Gates, once I have finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.
Edward

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:22 am

Just finished Heartsongs by Mattie Stepanek. It's amazing that so much love came out of someone so young.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Rylynn4869 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Adorima wrote:Ted Dekker is a master craftsman of the psychological/spiritual thrillers. Isn't he?

Yes. Yes, he is!
[SIZE="2"]We've all got wounds, we've all got scars
Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it's hard
Don't give up hope, don't give up hope

'Cause He's got those wounds, and He's got those scars
And with His blood He heals our hearts
He is our hope, He is our hope!
~Don't Give Up the Fight by Revive[/SIZE]
Rylynn4869

Postby Adorima » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:24 pm

How was Martyr's song? *poke, poke*
Adorima

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Since my favorite blogger atm is going through LoTR chapter by chapter (1 a day), I'm reading it along with. First chapter was today, second tomorrow! ^.^
Atria35

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:53 pm

[color="Plum"]Last night I bought and read the first chapter of Unearthly, a fictional book by Cynthia Hand and today I read the second chapter a little while ago.

I bought it because of the most of the reviews where positive, the overview, it's an angel based novel and I have an interest for angels. It's about a teenage girl who finds out she's 1/4 angel with supernatural abilities and she has to find out what her propose is on earth.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:58 pm

I started Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb the other day - so far, it's awesome! :dance:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 am

I'm going back to Westeros and finally reading A Dance With Dragons. Here's hoping it's worth the 5-year wait. (Although, for me, it was only 1 year.)

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Winry » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:56 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1522808) wrote:I started Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb the other day - so far, it's awesome! :dance:

One of my favorite series. Enjoy!

I am currently reading The Wise Man's Fear which is the 2nd book in the Kingkiller Chronicle series. So far it's very good! =D
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
Enjoyable series, consistently bringing up historical details in interesting ways. The worldbuilding was a strength, but that won't surprise anyone. I also felt both main characters were fully functional human beings despite the major romance subplot, so that's a positive thing. Far be it from me to look down my nose at young adult books, but I hope someone gives Westerfeld an adult series. I want to see what he does without limitations of length, tone, and content.

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan
Good book, but not generally recommended here due to high quantities of sexual content.

Death Masks by Jim Butcher
While I enjoy all the books in this series and they read very quickly, I still find myself with a large number of distractions. It's odd being five books into a series and not entirely sure about my opinion of it.

The White Rose by Glen Cook
As usual, it takes a while for me to get into the book and then I wish it could keep going. In this case, however, there was a fitting end to the first trilogy. I'm not sure when or if I'll get into the other Black Company books.

Edward wrote:I just finished Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, and will start reading the next book in the Malazan series, Deadhouse Gates, once I have finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.

Hey, another Malazan reader. I use these books as my backups for bus rides and power outages, so I'm still on Toll the Hounds.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:30 pm

The Batman Files. Thank you, Barnes & Noble Members Card, for helping knock the price down from a ridiculous $100 to a tolerable (if not necessarily reasonable) $70. Seriously though, this thing's freaking awesome.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Arm of the Starfish by Madeliene L'Engle.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 am

Starting Catching Fire

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 am

I recently finished The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel --where they took the classic work by Paulo Coelho and interpreted it into a graphic novel form.

It was a very good read --fantastic artwork. I was well pleased. I definitely recommend it.

It was an old dream of mine to have The Alchemist as a graphic novel. This version exceeds my expectations and is a beautiful manifestation of what I originally imagined while crafting this story.
--Paulo Coelho
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Vii » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:33 pm

I just bought The Hunger Games from an independent bookstore I had a giftcard for. I've already read a little bit from my friends copy, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. ^_^
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Read the first ten chapters of Hood by Stephen Lawhead. I'm actually a lot more amiacable towards this particular reincarnation of a legend, because there is no reasonable support for his Pendragon Cycle taking place anywhere near Britain, but this... Well, I have been to England and have seen exactly how close Wales is to it, and can think that the tale could very reasonably have been transplanted from one place to another, and the localization of tales and legends has been popular among people for thousands of years.
Atria35

Postby Adorima » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 am

Re-reading Clockwork Angel: the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare!
Adorima

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:43 am

I changed my mind. I'm starting Fablehaven's third book.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Romeo and Juliet Not bad. Not really special. Just okay.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Recently finished the second Heroes of Olympus book, Son of Neptune. I want to be Rick Riordan when I grow up.

The writing in this book was so tight and efficient. There were no boring parts or people being inexplicably stupid. The plot was not predictable. Dialogue was sharp, action quick, characters endearing and complex, humor hilarious (as it should be), and every once in a while a scene burst with heart. (Somebody calls home, it doesn't take five paragraphs, but it packed an emotional punch.) It's a wild, awesome ride from start to cliffhanging finish.

And Frank's family is the best family.

Why is Fall 2012 so far away? D:
rocklobster (post: 1526319) wrote:I changed my mind. I'm starting Fablehaven's third book.

Out of curiosity, why'd you switch?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Neane » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I just started reading Schild's Ladder by Greg Egan. It's good thus far.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:42 pm

A Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. 50 cents at the library- couldn't resist.
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:55 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1526914) wrote:Recently finished the second Heroes of Olympus book, Son of Neptune. I want to be Rick Riordan when I grow up.

The writing in this book was so tight and efficient. There were no boring parts or people being inexplicably stupid. The plot was not predictable. Dialogue was sharp, action quick, characters endearing and complex, humor hilarious (as it should be), and every once in a while a scene burst with heart. (Somebody calls home, it doesn't take five paragraphs, but it packed an emotional punch.) It's a wild, awesome ride from start to cliffhanging finish.

And Frank's family is the best family.

Why is Fall 2012 so far away? D:

YES. *high five*
I agree with everything you said! I want to be Rick Riordan when I grow up too!

I got The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune for my birthday, and it took me around four days to read them both.

I'm currently reading Inheritance, which a friend gave to me. Admittedly, I don't think the books are all that anymore, and there are some boring parts, but I am enjoying it, despite the flaws that are now appearing so much more clearly under my older eyes. My little brother is way ahead of me, and it sounds like there'll be some really awesome parts in it.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:20 am

Starting Catching Fire

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Lynna (post: 1527000) wrote:YES. *high five*
I agree with everything you said! I want to be Rick Riordan when I grow up too!

I got The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune for my birthday, and it took me around four days to read them both.

*high fives* I wonder if he meets teenaged girls at events that actually say that to him. :lol:

Have you read the first series?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Edward » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 pm

I just finished The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, and I can't wait to get the next book. I like how even though it's intended for kids much younger than me, I was still able to enjoy it. Apparently my school has the other books in the series, just not the second, which I'll need to get at the public library this weekend.

I am also reading Frankenstein, for a school essay, but I'm enjoying it very much, though perhaps not as much as the first time I did so.
Edward

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner