What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Godzilla vs king ghidora. I love the old toho monster movies
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl My personal favorite of the whole series. Witty, character driven and good acting.

Dead Man's Chest Decent. I personally didn't like how they changed Captain Jack's personality. But at least this had some emotional deph and story.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Godzilla final wars such a fun flick

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Sanderson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 am

Labyrinth.

David Bowie is weird, but other than that it's a good film.

Also watched Brokeback Mountain, it was boring but it sent a good message.
Sanderson

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 am

Sanderson (post: 1525488) wrote:Labyrinth.

David Bowie is weird, but other than that it's a good film.

Are you kidding? David Bowie is awesome in that movie!

I hung out with guy friends last night and watched a movie called Run, Fat Boy Run --starring the same guy who played the lead in Shaun of the Dead. It had a good message, but could have done without some of the content.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 pm

At World's End Rather meh. At least they tried to have more character development in this, even though they didn't do it right. Acting was rather meh as well.

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Predators such a bad(watch you mouth) movie. Not as good as the original but still awesome

GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 am

I thought Predators was good. It certainly was better than both Alien Vs Predator films combined.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1525931) wrote:I thought Predators was good. It certainly was better than both Alien Vs Predator films combined.

While I think there was a missed opportunity for a more interesting story, like the Predator civil war plot, I really think it did it's job to be a really solid scifi action-horror film(okay very light horror but still there)

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Last week saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Then last night saw Muppets.
Roy Mustang

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:25 pm

On Stranger Tides Pretty entertaining at least. I personally thought the relationship between Philip and Syrenna was handled much better than Jack and Angelica's own.

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 pm

A perfect getaway, not a very good thriller. The twist ruined it. The scenery was nice at least

GrubbTheFragger

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Last week

On Stranger Tides
Eh, it was okay, still focused on spectacle over story.

And

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Old classic comedy, from the age when you could do a comedy without resorting to crude humor to fill the time; and also old enough (and long enough) to have an intermission.
I highly recommend it.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Saw two movies recently, and they couldn't be much less alike.

Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines. They are magnificent, they fly, and it's hilarious. A bunch of countries drive each other crazy, nuns get involved, and there's a duel fought in hot air balloons. I think this also has is my favorite love triangle in anything ever. ("Are you two fighting over me? Oh, good!")

Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides. Somewhat better than the #2-3 story, but nowhere near as good as the first movie (surprise). It went for visuals over good writing, slightly overdramatized pretty much everything, and had scenes in it that truly made no sense. In particular, everything involving the mermaid(s) was "Wut?", and the related romance we somehow cobbled together harmed both characters involved (because apparently the guy had been struggling in his faith and scantily clad mermaids help with this). The best part of the movie was the blooper reel on the disk.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby GeneD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 am

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
I really enjoyed it, although there were bits where I couldn't help but compare it to BBC's Sherlock series. I'll have to see the first one again, but I think I might actually like the sequel more.
Except about [spoiler]Irene's death.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 am

some of my fam and I went to see movies over Christmas: Mision Impossible GP (which my bro saw) and Hugo (which I saw). Neither one turned out to have a decent story, but my bro got what he wanted: explosions.

Tonight, some friends and I might watch Captain America or one other movie whose name I've forgotten. I don't know - I've never really been into super heroes. And no, it's not because of the jokes about them or the fact that I've recently watched the review by thatguywiththeglasses of Superman.

@bigsleepj - There's various reasons why people didn't like it. Star Trek fans may not like it because it gives the new crew entirely different personalities and amongst other things, well, as the saying goes "It's just not the same." However, there's more reasons than that. My sister and I went to go see it with some friends, and in her opinion, it's too much of a cookie cutter, as in, the various aspects of the movie are just cut and pasted in from other films with a new setting and character. Sure, that's what Hollywood does, but they could be more creative than that. Of course, this isn't a thread about StarTrek, so I'm stopping here. Glad you could still enjoy it and get your money's worth.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 pm

First Dog Not bad really.

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Contagion, not a bad film really. Very realistically portrayed.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:41 pm

L: Change the World - Watched this with my sisters, loved it just as much as ever and teared up at the end like always.

A Christmas Carol - The newest one, with the performance capture, starring Jim Carrey. This is the only Christmas Carol movie I can stand, and I loved being able to see it on DVD at last. Forgot to check out the special features, though XD

I watched about half an hour of PotC: On Stranger Tides before it got stuck in the player :/

Abduction - Meh, worth watching only because it was on the plane and there was nothing else to do. Whatshisface is a really lame actor, though, and he isn't even good-looking. Blah, but it was nice to see Jason Isaacs. My first thought when he came on screen was that it would be reeeeally scary to have him as your dad XD

Take Cover - An indie movie that I loved, but definitely isn't for everyone. Think Signs without the aliens or horror elements, and that's what it's like. It's about a man who's happily married and has a young, deaf daughter - a nice little life and a steady job, not a whole lot of money but enough to get by - and then he starts getting nightmares about a freakish storm and starts believing they're visions of the future. And everything goes downhill from there. I thought it was an excellent movie, and very well acted.

Kavi - A 20-minute movie about a slave boy in modern-day India who is forced to work in a brick kiln. It seemed to be an accurate window into the horrible things that are going on today that seem utterly unbelievable to a Western audience.

The Debt - An okay movie, with a bit too much objectionable content for me to want to see it again (and I think it was even edited for viewing in the plane, so I don't really want to find out what the unedited version was like). It's about three secret agents who were trying to kidnap a Nazi scientist from East Germany and take him to put him on trial for his crimes. Kind of exciting, and I've always liked that time period, and the amount of foreign languages/accents was fun, but...yeah. Wouldn't watch it again.

Ice Age 3 - Surprisingly good for a third installment, and actually better than Ice Age 2, but obviously nowhere near as good as the first one. Funny in parts, and I really did like Buck's character, but it just didn't shine like the first one, didn't have as much heart, and too much crude humor for my tastes.

Megamind - OHHHHHHHH MAAAAAN I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! I could tell from the trailer that I would, and I was right! :jump: Man, Dreamworks has come so far since the days of Shrek. This had the minimum of crude humor (which is usually what keeps me from leaping at the chance to watch Dreamworks movies), was incredibly funny and interesting, and even managed to touch my heart. How to Train Your Dragon is still by far my favorite Dreamworks movie, but this one comes in as a close second. I was also expecting, from the trailers, that the ultimate message of the movie was going to be "evil can be good too, depending on your perspective," but was pleasantly surprised to discover that [spoiler]it was more about someone evil turning good in the end because he realizes that his life is empty otherwise. I thought that was an excellent message for a children's movie.[/spoiler]
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Cars 2 - Far, far better than the first one, not one of Pixar's best but a good movie. A much more interesting, action-y plot this time. The shorts on the disc were hilarious especially 'Hawaiian Vacation'

---

The Italian Job
(1969) - The original version of the recent hit, they share little beyond the name, and some elements of the heist (Armored car full of gold, hack traffic control, get away in Mini Coopers). This version is very British in cast and writing and has the heist set in Italy, and its more of a bank robbery type deal. Rated G though there is a fair amount of implied funny business going on in the first part of the film.

A few fun quotes "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" and "Last night governor, my toilet, was broken into" The latter goes on my list of great out of context quotes.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 pm

The girl with the dragon tattoo : really good movie, not for everyone though.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 am

I thought it was a good movie too, but it just felt long towards the end. And usually I don't mind long movies.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Watched the ides of March. Not a bad movie, slow but expertly acted

GrubbTheFragger

Postby alma » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Watched: The Music Never Stopped
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7VAPkmAqDw (trailer)
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Too thoroughly Americanized to be completely enjoyable. The first one I could handle, but the second is just too much. I did like the final showdown, however. That made me smile.

Inglorious Basterds

Unexpectedly good. Don't get me wrong, I expected it to be awesome, just not good. It was a bit jumpy at times, (didn't flow well between all of the plots) yet it was certainly amusing.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Tangled Still a great film after watching it for the third time.

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Edward » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:35 pm

I just watched Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines today.

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1526753) wrote:They are magnificent, they fly, and it's hilarious.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the reccomendation MoI!
Edward

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Watched the live-action Death Note movie again. It just never gets old ^_^

I also watched Memento on a whim, and wow. That's an awesome movie, and I want to go and watch it again right now. I love how you have to piece the story together yourself; those kind of movies are always so much fun.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 am

The Red Shoes by Micheal Powell and Emeric Pressburger. On the surface its a backstage melodrama about a ballerina who has to choose between her career and her love, but there is something slightly sinister about this movie. Not sure what. Is, however, a great ballet movie with astounding visuals and is probably some of the best use of Technicolor you'll find. Try seeing it on Blu-Ray as it is was painstakingly restored under the supervision of Martin Scorcese.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Captain America, good not great

GrubbTheFragger

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment