What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 am

I saw Contagion. It was pretty good movie; a different kind of disaster / horror movie that is also a more realistic take on the genres. That said, most of the name actors seem to have no reason to be there. Yes, I'm thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow in particular. In this respect the film is a bit of a waste, but as a rather paranoid medically / science themed thriller it is pretty good.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:53 am

Halloween (1978) love this movie. Effective even today
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:39 am

Watching The Island -borrowed from a friend. Interesting...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Sheenar (post: 1513002) wrote:Watching The Island -borrowed from a friend. Interesting...

I liked that film, it proved micheal bay could make a decent movie.

Watched Trick R Treat

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Neane » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:19 am

Just Watched American Ninja. The Best Movie Ever Made Ever.
Neane

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm

The Island was Bay's best film IMO... most hate it though and I think it bombed.

Watched The Mist... didn't really liked it as much as I did the first time. It moves far too slowly to bother watching a second time. Also didn't realize how bad some of the special effects were. And the ending which I thought was killer the first time, didn't really seem to fit and now I think it's a bad ending. They should have ended it like I heard they did in the book. I just didn't think the choice made any sense concidering the strength of the characters until that point.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1513198) wrote:The Island was Bay's best film IMO... most hate it though and I think it bombed.

Watched The Mist... didn't really liked it as much as I did the first time. It moves far too slowly to bother watching a second time. Also didn't realize how bad some of the special effects were. And the ending which I thought was killer the first time, didn't really seem to fit and now I think it's a bad ending. They should have ended it like I heard they did in the book. I just didn't think the choice made any sense concidering the strength of the characters until that point.

The island did bomb,hard I think

I still really like the mist still, it does have a lot of issues. I still think the ending is shocking and amazing. Stephen king actually prefers the movies ending.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:37 am

I really liked the Mist too, though it is on the short list of 'good movies I might never watch again'. I kept thinking that the story should have a smart, more rational and theologically minded Christian, then realized that the movie would not be half as effective.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 pm

I think The Island was fantastic. I know a lot of people didn't like it but I did. Sure, the plot was derivative and predictable, but who expects originality from a Bay film?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:38 am

The first half of The Island is excellent, the second half is just a fun action ride. I enjoyed the movie enough to buy it on DVD. It's not brilliant movie making but there are far worse movies out there.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ich1990 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

A classic. Still good.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I hadn't bothered to watch this until now because I had heard it was pretty awful. It is. I like the little kid, though.

The Shawshank Redemption

A pull-no-punches prison movie with an ending [spoiler]that doesn't make you want to kill yourself.[/spoiler] Plus, good acting. A very good film that I probably won't watch again.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Neane » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm

ich1990 (post: 1513696) wrote:I hadn't bothered to watch this until now because I had heard it was pretty awful. It is. I like the little kid, though.

Because of that film, we now have the PG-13 rating. My mother and my oldest sister were quite shocked when they saw all the violence in that film when it first came out.
Neane

Postby ich1990 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Neane (post: 1513710) wrote:Because of that film, we now have the PG-13 rating. My mother and my oldest sister were quite shocked when they saw all the violence in that film when it first came out.

I was pretty surprised myself. I don't usually associate Indiana Jones with over the top violence.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:13 am

ich1990 (post: 1513696) wrote:The Shawshank Redemption

A pull-no-punches prison movie with an ending [spoiler]that doesn't make you want to kill yourself.[/spoiler] Plus, good acting. A very good film that I probably won't watch again.

:lol: Well put! I didn't feel quite as strongly about it, but I did prefer the movie's ending to the book's.

My plans for watching Silence of the Lambs for Halloween got suspended until tomorrow, so instead I watched Deep Blue Sea. It's a lot like many other let's-all-escape-from-this-enclosed-space-while-getting-picked-off-one-by-one movies, but still managed to be tense at times and even surprised me three distinct times! And Samuel L. Jackson is in it, who [spoiler]I was not expecting to die! At least not right when he did! :wow!: [/spoiler] I guess, in a way, it's kind of like Jaws, because it's a suspense thriller about killer sharks :P One thought that kept on occurring to me was that everything that could possibly go wrong was.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ich1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:26 pm

I tried to pick up Silence of the Lambs for Halloween too. Alas, the library was completely cleaned out of horror movies by the time I got there.

Maverick

One of my favorite westerns of all time. If you want serious and realistic, get True Grit (the remake). If you want fun and adventurous, get Maverick.
ich1990

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 pm

ich1990 (post: 1513768) wrote:I was pretty surprised myself. I don't usually associate Indiana Jones with over the top violence.

See I am the opposite, Indiana jones always seemed violent to me. This comes from seeing last crusade first even then lost ark had melting faces shown for a pg film graphically.

Anyways watched disneys the wild it was pretty funny. I think it's underrated, and at least funnier than Madagascar.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:49 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1513204) wrote:I still really like the mist still, it does have a lot of issues. I still think the ending is shocking and amazing. Stephen king actually prefers the movies ending.

You know actually, the ending itself is not bad... I just think it moved a little rushed at the end. They should have drawn it out. The guy gave up far too quickly considering how he was earlier in the movie and it felt a little rushed and out of character. That was my problem with it. They could have made it work better I guess is what I meant cause yeah the first time I loved the ending cause I wasn't expecting it. But the second time I knew it was coming and the shock wasn't there to keep me thinking about it better.

Anywho... watched Halloween again too... This is such a good horror movie. And I really liked the soundtrack. Not a horror fan per se but this one I really like.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:18 am

Scarecrow (post: 1513937) wrote:You know actually, the ending itself is not bad... I just think it moved a little rushed at the end. They should have drawn it out. The guy gave up far too quickly considering how he was earlier in the movie and it felt a little rushed and out of character. That was my problem with it. They could have made it work better I guess is what I meant cause yeah the first time I loved the ending cause I wasn't expecting it. But the second time I knew it was coming and the shock wasn't there to keep me thinking about it better.

Anywho... watched Halloween again too... This is such a good horror movie. And I really liked the soundtrack. Not a horror fan per se but this one I really like.

Okay I understand completely. The second viewing does take the shock away. I do wish they did draw it out better it could have been a slow build to a shock. I recommend if you view it again if you have the right DVD copy (long shot) watch the black and white version. it's an interesting version and it fixes the effects issues.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby ich1990 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Fight Club

Surprisingly good movie. By the halfway point I thought it had a solid plot and themes: the emasculation of America's male youth. The way advertising has taught us to use our consumerist habits to define ourselves. etc. That would have been a good movie right there.

But then it decides to ratchet things up a level. Well done, story writer, well done. The music, cinematography, and editing were all superb as well.

If you watch it, keep a sharp eye and you can fast-forward out most of the sexual content.

District 9

NOT another alien invasion movie, for which I am thankful. My favorite aspect of the movie is that it watches like news, rather than like Hollywood. It was a lot harder to say to myself "this is all pretend" and by consequence it was a lot harder not to wince when people exploded. It was an excellent sci-fi movie, although not for the squeamish.

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1513933) wrote:See I am the opposite, Indiana jones always seemed violent to me. This comes from seeing last crusade first even then lost ark had melting faces shown for a pg film graphically.
That is fair. I guess I considered those "bad guy deaths" more humorous than offensive. I suppose at the time the movies were made those deaths were probably meant to be serious.
ich1990

Postby Felix » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Fight Club is an incredible movie. If you get the chance to read the book that it's based on, I'd recommend that, too. The movie follows it almost to a T, but the book fleshes some stuff out and is a bit deeper, if that's even possible.

I've been interested in seeing District 9 for a while now. I need to find it and see it.

Here's what I've been watching:

The Snow Walker
This is a poignant little piece about a hotshot pilot whose plane goes down in the Arctic Tundra while he's transporting a sick Inuit woman to get medical help. It was surprisingly touching, and showed real heart and care in its production. The pilot learns to respect the elements and the Inuit culture, and it's just a beautiful little movie that I'd highly recommend if you're okay with your movies not having a ton of action or pizazz.

Moon
I can't recommend this movie enough if you like sci-fi or "mental movies," and what I mean by mental movies is movies that really twist your brain or make you think about things you've never thought about, or make you look at life in a new way. I can't really say much else without spoiling the movie, but it's a really good one. Very emotional and thought-provoking.
Felix

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Moon was fan freaking tactic Sam Rockwell got burned by not getting a Oscar nom. I need to watch it again. Fight club is personal favorite and district 9 was easily one of the best sci fi films in the past few years.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Psycho and Sister Act. No, there really is no reason why I chose these two other than I felt like watching them.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:40 pm

The nines : weird film, but enjoyable and at times touching

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Popyman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Moon, Fight Club, and District 9 are all favorites of mine. :D

Let's see, I haven't seen any new movies recently but today I watched Where The Wild Things Are (for the millionth time) with a friend who had never seen it before. It still ranks near the top of my most loved films, I could write an essay on that movie easily.
Popyman

Postby Felix » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 am

I'm glad to see that there's at least one other person in the world who thinks Wild Things is a great movie ^^ Everyone I know seems to hate it, but I think it is just wonderful. It's so deep! I've seen it twice, and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of all that's going on in that movie. You've inspired me to go watch it again...
Felix

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 am

Fight Club's good but I'm pretty tired of it by now.

I would like to see Moon. It was on Netflix instant for a while but I didn't jump on it and now it's gone. :I

I've been watching a lot of old Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau movies lately, including The Odd Couple. Pretty fun stuff. Also watched The Taking of Pelham 123 (the original, not that stupid remake). It wasn't bad. Kind of interesting to see gritty, dirty New York from the early 1970s. Also Robert Shaw makes a pretty good bad guy.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

Robert Shaw is always a good badguy. He's also the chilling if somewhat hapless villain in The Sting, which is one of the best caper films ever made. If you haven't seen it I suggest you do.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:21 pm

I watched The King's Speech with my mom some days ago. It was very enjoyable.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Popyman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Felix (post: 1514143) wrote:I'm glad to see that there's at least one other person in the world who thinks Wild Things is a great movie ^^ Everyone I know seems to hate it, but I think it is just wonderful. It's so deep! I've seen it twice, and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of all that's going on in that movie. You've inspired me to go watch it again...

I'm lucky, everyone I know really loves it. It wasn't until I went on the internet that I found out how terrible a lot of people thought it was. :( I still think the overall view was positive, I read a LOT of reviews of it that gave it perfect scores.

And yeah, I absolutely love how deep it is. ^^ For example, did you ever pick up on one of the subtle ways they show Max' controlling personality? He writes his name on EVERYTHING (going as far as drawing all over the opening logos!). Even when they made the fort, which they had ALL put much effort into it, he used Carol's claw to etch his initials into it--no one else's. But then, near the end he left Carol's initial in the room with the model, symbolizing that he had given up his need for control and was able to put someone else before himself.

See? This is what happens when I get going on this movie, I ramble on and on about it. XD
Popyman

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 am

I love Where the Wild Things Are but it's rather raw and sombre and not many audiences expected and/or appreciated it because of that.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment