What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Arsenic and Old Lace is an excellent film. I should watch it again. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Popyman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:51 am

Atria35 (post: 1509692) wrote:Session 9- Hooo dang. This film works on the pychological and nothing else. This avoided gore until that very last, and even that was horrifying not because it was particularly gorey, but because of the implications. Great, great film.

I love that movie, too! It's one of the few horror movies I've seen that gave me a Silent Hill vibe (the only other one being The Orphanage).

Speaking of horror movies, that's pretty much all I'm watching. To be honest, before last year I had no interest at all in the genre so I've had TONS of stuff to catch up on (recommendations for good ones is much appreciated!). Right now, I'm watching A Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time. I don't think it's held up very well...Freddie is more ridiculous and hilarious than he is scary. But I'm not very far into it, maybe it picks up.
Popyman

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Scream 4. Meh
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:33 am

Tangled interesting concept, fun characters, excellent suspense and actually emotional.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:32 am

Just saw Quarantine 2 with my neighbors. And when I say "saw," I mean "turned up my MP3 player's volume and surfed the internet with my cellphone."

Yeah, that sort of kills the fun of movie night but at least no nightmares for me tonight!
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:45 am

Horrible bosses. Best cast for a comedy ever. Such a brillant comedy. If you can handle a obviously R rated comedy you can't do any better

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Fast five. Pretty much a big dumb action movie.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 am

Session 9 is amazing and Arsenic and Old Lace is another favourite of mine. I'm about to watch Fritz Lang's The Complete Metropolis.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 am

The Nightmare Before Christmas: I love this movie, and it's the perfect Halloween film. I was never allowed to watch it as a kid... ◔◡◔
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 am

Frankenstein. Excellent movie. Like I said on Facebook, you'd never catch me watching The Human Centipede or some such thing. Filmmakers of the early- to mid-20th century knew that horror should be done with class and style, not depravity.

Anyway, I've been on a Frankenstein jag lately. Reading the book, also gonna watch Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein and, of course, Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein.

But no, not the 1994 movie. No desire whatsoever to see that one.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1511057) wrote:Session 9 is amazing and Arsenic and Old Lace is another favourite of mine. I'm about to watch Fritz Lang's The Complete Metropolis.

The Complete Metropolis is pretty good as some of the missing scenes explain small things and make the film flow more naturally. Still borderline coherent though. ;-)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Haha. I expected as much. Didn't get around to watching the movie just yet (I watched the restoration documentary though and it was very good). I'll be watching the movie sometime this week.
Bigsleep J, are the last few missing minutes (5 or so) filled in with the movie's title cards? Thanks
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Watched Thor and Captain America this past weekend!

Thor was alright; I thought the camera angles were kind of weird (I don't like "dynamic" diagonal shots unless they really have a purpose, and these kind of didn't, IMO), and some of the scenes were a bit cheesy--honestly, I preferred the scenes in Asgard over the scenes on earth by a long shot. XD Overall it was pretty fun, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing the character again in The Avengers.

Captain America, on the other hand, was surprisingly a really well done movie in every respect. I loved the visual feel, and it was a really well-told origin story. I enjoyed it, and I've been impressed by the story continuity across all of these Marvel films (the involvement of Tony Stark's father was pretty neat XD).
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Okami » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm currently watching Dances with Wolves! :D Favorite movie!!! <3 <3 <3
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:58 am

Watched how to lose friends and alienate people. It started out as a typical R rated comedy but then turned out better than expected

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:59 am

Beauty and the Beast ^_^

Question: In the intro the narrator says the rose would bloom until the Beast's 21st year. But then, in "Be Our Guest," Lumier says that he and the fellow servants have been sitting round the castle for TEN YEARS. So how do you guys think this timeline works?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:Beauty and the Beast ^_^

Question: In the intro the narrator says the rose would bloom until the Beast's 21st year. But then, in "Be Our Guest," Lumier says that he and the fellow servants have been sitting round the castle for TEN YEARS. So how do you guys think this timeline works?

Maybe he was just a very mature 11-year-old.

Also, I just watched Batman Returns last night. I managed to find the two Michael Keaton Batman movies and the two Christian Bale ones at FYE all for a total of under $20. I prefer not to acknowledge the existence of the other two. ;)
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1511146) wrote:Haha. I expected as much. Didn't get around to watching the movie just yet (I watched the restoration documentary though and it was very good). I'll be watching the movie sometime this week.
Bigsleep J, are the last few missing minutes (5 or so) filled in with the movie's title cards? Thanks

Well, if we are talking the restored 2010 version, then most the missing minutes are actual scenes taken from a print so badly damaged it will make your eyes bleed, but at least fills in some gaps and provides scenes thought entirely lost. The movie flows more naturally now; it is amazing what a difference these scenes make - even if you know the story, seeing it is better than having it described to you. There are only very few gaps in the movie filled-in with title-cards. For instance there are scenes where the "The Thin Man", the dubious aide of the main character's father, appears as a priest in the fever dream-sequence; It was described in the earlier cut, seeing the posts of the bed fade into an elaborate pullpit with a sinister priest standing behind it makes the scene more unsettling.

I have the earlier cut and the 2010 restored cut and enjoy both for various reasons (though the full cut is certainly the best by far). I see the 1980s Giorgio Moroder cut, running 80 min and featuring the musical talents of, among others, Freddie Mercury (!?!?!?!), is coming out on DVD soon. Some may see it as a bowdlerization but I think it would be a good purchase, just for completion's sake, as it helped remind people of the film's existence and brought it back from obscurity.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks, J.
Interesting, I thought they worked on fixing up the restored footage, not so that it was perfect (far from it, since the flaws were copied onto the print) but cleaned up as best as they could with digital technology. The excerpts I've seen so far are far from great in terms of picture quality but not at the level of 'making my eyes bleed'.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Yeah, I comically exagerated for humorous purposes.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Haha, no worries. Have a fantastic weekend, mate!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 am

Paranormal activity 3, who needs sleep

GrubbTheFragger

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:41 am

Forest Gump Heart-warming and funny. Tom Hanks is really a great actor.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Silent Seraph » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Watched [ pelada ] last night. Any one with even a slight interest in either futbol/soccer or international travel should watch this movie! The movie is essentially a documentary following two American college graduates that aren't good enough to turn pro, so they take a trip around the world to discover "the other side of the game."
Life verse. Corinthians 9:27 [color="Cyan"]No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.[/color]

[color="Cyan"]If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
Hei (Darker Than Black)[/color]

God. Family. Athletics.

[color="Cyan"][font="Arial Black"]M.O.E.S.-[/font][/color]Safe from the Scroll

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators and Administrators.
Silent Seraph

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:54 pm

I watched Chariots of Fire for my Christian Mind class. Great movie; I just love the parallels/contrasts between the two main characters! Very inspirational.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Tarnish » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:13 pm

BASEketball.

Which I bought. In a store. With money.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Tarnish (post: 1512768) wrote:BASEketball.

Which I bought. In a store. With money.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

It's kinda a funny movie..... Well I won't throw any stones at least

GrubbTheFragger

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Lets see... Friday, I watched Tangled again, with my brother and sister. (I love it~ Princess movies are a soft spot for me and this one is really quite fantastic.)
Also, Rapunzel is such a sweet, spunky girl and the refreshing thing is that she's that way without feeling like a bland, generic stereotype. Flynn Rider is the best original character for disney since Jack Sparrow. ("...I think you broke my smolder...")

And then later that evening I watched Jumper with my sister since she wanted to see it.
(How was I to know that it actually deserved a 15% on rottentomatos?)
Good idea, really bad writing.

On Saturday I watched Grosse Pointe Blank, great movie.
The main character is a really unique guy, the humor is sharp and witty and the romance is really good. The action scenes are awesome, and yes, a little violent. (But in a good way! :eyebrow:) I feel that they picked the right actors for each role. (Especially the roles of the main character and his crazy secretary, played by John Cusack and Joan Cusack respectively.) Dan Aykroyd plays the villian and does a great job. Minnie Driver plays the love interest, and while they might have gotten a better actress for the job, I think she fit the character. Highly recommend this one to somebody that wants to see a slightly off balance, action/rom/com.
(By the way, the last 20 minutes or so of the movie are really awesome. :rock:)

And this afternoon I watched Nancy Drew with my brother and sister.
(It got rather poor reviews on rottentomatos... And yet I loved it. So, I don't really trust RT all that much.)
The character of Nancy was based a little more on the earlier version, but I quickly got used to it. (She was still the Nancy Drew that i love! :D) I thought that Ned was played perfectly, and I really wished he was in it longer... (I loved the Ned and Nancy fluff~! Image)

While the plot was a little simple, I liked it. It reminded me of the Herinteractive Nancy Drew games that I play. The music was just like them. (I love those too.) And I loved how it made tributes to the books every now and then. (I read all of those too... have you guessed that I'm a major ND buff yet?) I didn't love that they changed Carson's character... and the two twitty girls were really... twitty. But, the fat kid, Corky, he wasn't so bad and he did make me laugh a few times. (Not to mention creep me out along with Nancy.) I wish Bess and George were in it, they only made a cameo appearance in the start. Otherwise, I loved the movie and I loved the ending. [spoiler]Nancy and Ned kiss! :D YAY! And they way they kissed totally fit the characters and made sense! Double yay! :hug:[/spoiler]

If you'll excuse me, I must now go in search of some gifs for certain films. :brow:

(God bless you guys, and have a wonderful Sunday! I know I'm having one!)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1512907) wrote:(It got rather poor reviews on rottentomatos... And yet I loved it. So, I don't really trust RT all that much.)

RT is the average of a whole lot of viewers and votes... so whether you agree on the rating is a matter of personal taste, kind of like MAL scores.

FInally saw The Fantastic Mr. Fox. That.. was an awesome movie. I can't wait to see it again.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:18 am

Watched the Movie Caveman . It was fun and I enjoyed it a lot. :lol:
Neane

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment