What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Sheenar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1501845) wrote:My girlfriend and I watched the Back to the Future trilogy over 3 nonconsecutive nights. Great Scott, I love those movies.

Those are my favorite movies ever. I own the trilogy and watch it a lot. <3
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Edward (post: 1501716) wrote:I just watched Manos: The Hands of Fate. It was terrible. Without a doubt, the worst movie I have ever seen. Yes, even worse than Troll 2. Thankfully, the guys at MST3K were there to make laugh throughout the whole thing.

I love that episode of MST3K. I agree that Manos: The Hands of Fate was awful. Even worse than Santa vs. the Martians which is on the same DVD.

Htom, you and your gf just gained new respect from me. Back to the Future is my favorite trilogy. Gosh, I love those movies. <3
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:02 pm

watched cowboys and aliens today. Some great visual effects. Animatronics are awesome to see now with all the CG. Overall a pretty fun film
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Narnian » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Finally, was able to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine and First Class. Both were interesting movies to say the least. I definitely found Wolverine more appealing overall as opposed or First Class. First Class just seemed boring to me.
One of my acquaintances showed me Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Zombieland was suprizingly bearable considering I can't stand zombie films. Scott Pilgrim was a very odd movie. I liked the unique take on graphics and film making it took. Both added a needed flair. The story was a bit odd and the ending was alright. I liked it a bit better as a comic.
I was able to see Soul Surfer finally yesterday. That movie is amazing! Well done and inspiring. Hopefully, I can see To Save a Life this week. I really need to finish watching that movie. -_- That and catch up on the Harry Potter series with my friend. Neither of us have seen past three.
[align=center]Christ follower, cosplayer, and anime fan. Jesus is the best!

2 Corinthians 2:14-15
14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

MAL
Blog
DA
Christian cosplayers unite!
DA
Narnian

Postby Kaori » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 am

Slumdog Millionaire. The cinematography, the music, the pacing, the use of flashbacks, and the weaving together of the different threads of the story were all great. It was a very well-executed movie—but the plot was absurd from the premise all the way to the denouement.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:48 pm

[quote="Kaori (post: 1502885)"]Slumdog Millionnaire. The cinematography, the music, the pacing, the use of flashbacks, and the weaving together of the different threads of the story were all great. It was a very well-executed movie—]

I think it's actually based on a true story, though I'm getting some mixed information from various places. XD Director Danny Boyle has been quoted as saying it is, in fact, based on a true story, and this article seems to be related. Other reviews claim it's purely fictional, but the article below is proof that this sort of thing is certainly plausible. XD

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article5753211.ece
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kaori » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:42 am

Interesting article; thanks for the link. One of my friends had mentioned that this movie was based on a real story, but when I looked it up, I read that it was based on a fictional novel (Q&A by Vikas Swarup), so I had thought my friend was mistaken.
“My brother and I were exactly like Jamal and Salim – except we didn’t win any game show.
It wasn’t the street life aspects of the movie that I found unbelievable; the primary thing that I found incredible was the game show, shortly followed by the love story subplot. There were just too many things about both of those that were extremely unlikely. Finally, I was put off by the way that the movie explains the unlikelihood both of the game show aspect of the plot and of certain events in the love story plot by saying, “It’s destiny.” That’s facile and unrealistic. And in the article you linked, the co-founder of the NGO that helped Manju succeed says very much the same thing:
Success has nothing to do with game shows and lucky guesses,” he continues. “Children like Manju succeed only through sheer self-determination. We gave him an opportunity, but he did the rest himself. Even after rehabilitation, many children go back to the streets.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 am

I haven't seen the movie but there are articles and documentaries about the children before they starred in the movie and the street life moments were realistic and based on real life experiences. I'm not sure about the other aspects.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:04 pm

The City of Ember- loving my local library! I still think this is one of the better children's films out there that isn't Disney or Pixar.

Zathura - And this is not. Dear goodness. I knew it was going to be a rip-off of Jumanji, I just expected it to be pulled off with as much intelligence than its predecessor. Then again, I should have realized that it wasn't as good when I heard about 0 buzz for it. Some parts were a lot of fun. But the parts that pulled it down are too much to ignore.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Yeah, Zathura has nothing on Jumanji.
I haven't seen The City of Ember but the book was good and had some really interesting ideas.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:15 pm

[quote="Kaori (post: 1503071)"]Interesting article]Q&A[/I] by Vikas Swarup), so I had thought my friend was mistaken.
It wasn’t the street life aspects of the movie that I found unbelievable; the primary thing that I found incredible was the game show, shortly followed by the love story subplot. There were just too many things about both of those that were extremely unlikely. Finally, I was put off by the way that the movie explains the unlikelihood both of the game show aspect of the plot and of certain events in the love story plot by saying, “It’s destiny.â€
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03 am

Watched Troll Hunter on my move to CO and found it very enjoyable

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Kaori » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1503499) wrote:All I will say is: Just because you don't agree with a message doesn't mean that the whole work is bad.

I never said the whole work was bad. If you read my first post about it, you will notice that I praised its execution pretty highly. However, you also cannot expect me to like a work that sends a message that is the opposite of what I believe to be true.

Having learned in what way Manju's story was changed makes me dislike the move much more than I previously did, but I will forbear from ranting about it, since I am pretty sure no one wants to read that.

MAL
Kaori

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:59 am

X-men first class, really enjoyed this film. had the feel of almost a spy film. A lot of fun even the second viewing

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Edward » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:14 pm

I just watched Back to the Future last night. It was surprisingly good. I kind of expected it to be one of those movies that aren't as good as people make it out to be, but I actually really liked it.
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Corpse Bride -My friend said she felt this was as good as or better than Nightmare Before XMas. I have absolutely no idea why. Nightmare's music gets you humming along right from the start, and I can't remember anything about the music from Corpse. The story to Corpse was super-predictable and worked out exactly how I tought it would in every respect. Nightmare was predictable too, in a way, but they left you guessing as to how the ending would come about even if you could guess what the ending would be. Corpse just also lacks the general pizzazz that Nightmare does. Overall, a mediocre film in every way.
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Just watched Stargate and the pilot episode for Stargate SG-1. Will be watching the rest of Season 1. The rest of the series? Maybe.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:00 pm

We Were Soldiers

Not a bad Vietnam war flick. Seemed pretty darn light-hearted compared to Full Metal Jacket or Platoon.

The Sphere

Really trippy, but very good. I imagine that this is how contact with an alien species would actually go.

The Book of Eli

Just as awesome as expected. What was up with that ending, though?

V for Vendetta

Loved the fight scenes, loved the plot, loved the message and symbolism. Great movie.

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1505226) wrote:Just watched Stargate and the pilot episode for Stargate SG-1. Will be watching the rest of Season 1. The rest of the series? Maybe.
I should mention that neither the movie or the first and second episodes of season one are anything like the rest of the series. From episode 3 onward it is completely different in tone, content, and theme.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:00 am

ich1990 (post: 1505257) wrote:The Sphere

Really trippy, but very good. I imagine that this is how contact with an alien species would actually go.

The movie is not bad]SOLARIS[/I] (filmed twice by Andrei Tarkovsky and Stephen Soderbergh respectively), and both deal better with attempts at contact by unknowable alien entities (both which happen to be round and both bringing horror unintentional upon humans). The work of Lem in general deals with the incapability of aliens and humans to communicate.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 pm

The newest James Gunn film Super, violent, obscene, exactly what you think it would be.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:50 am

Yeah, I've seen some episodes from back when it still aired, so I know it kinda goes off in its own direction from there. Still, it's a great series to settle on in my search for a good American sci-fi show.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1505559) wrote:Yeah, I've seen some episodes from back when it still aired, so I know it kinda goes off in its own direction from there. Still, it's a great series to settle on in my search for a good American sci-fi show.

Battlestar galactica is amazing if you haven't watched it yet

GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Atria35 (post: 1503496) wrote:Zathura - And this is not. Dear goodness. I knew it was going to be a rip-off of Jumanji, I just expected it to be pulled off with as much intelligence than its predecessor. Then again, I should have realized that it wasn't as good when I heard about 0 buzz for it. Some parts were a lot of fun. But the parts that pulled it down are too much to ignore.

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1503498) wrote:Yeah, Zathura has nothing on Jumanji.

:sniffle: Sadness. I wonder if you would say the same thing if you weren't comparing it to Jumanji. I actually prefer Zathura, to be honest. The focus is tighter, and more appealing to me.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:35 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1505693) wrote::sniffle: Sadness. I wonder if you would say the same thing if you weren't comparing it to Jumanji. I actually prefer Zathura, to be honest. The focus is tighter, and more appealing to me.

But the movie has issues. There is absolutely no explanation for [spoiler]the 'future self' of the older bro suddenly appearing- where did he come from and all that jazz, the gas stove and running water still working[/spoiler]
And then the drama and danger don't seem as real as it could be. Their little personal drama seemed petty and superficial (and overall, sibling rivalry is exactly that) because they didn't go into the background behind it. The message and story were simple and obvious. The danger was brought down a little too much by forced humor (the bird in the robot. Seriously?).

Zathura doesn't distinguish itself in any way from any other children's adventure film. I don't have to compare it to Jumanji to say that because I have watched a LOT of kid's films.
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:59 pm

GrubbTheFragger wrote:Battlestar galactica is amazing if you haven't watched it yet

I Netflix'd the first episode. Looked like it was building up to something, sure. No doubt it's a good show. But it moved a little too slow for my tastes.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 am

Can Zathura truly be a rip-off of Jumanji is they were both based on books by the same author?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GeneD » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1505226) wrote:Just watched Stargate and the pilot episode for Stargate SG-1. Will be watching the rest of Season 1. The rest of the series? Maybe.
This is pretty much my favourite series ever. ^__^ Enjoy.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby EndearingHotaru » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Just finished Thor and I have to say, I thought it would be really stupid but I actually want to squeal with delight. XD I really liked it! And no, it wasn't just his amazing abbs. . . (laughs) Okay, maybe those were a benefiting factor, but the movie was just great besides those. . . :)
EndearingHotaru

Postby Popyman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Aw, I love Zathura. :( I thought it was awesome and really funny. And those kids, man, they had awesome taste, name dropping Super Smash Brothers and rocking that Jak 3 poster in their room. =P

The last movie I saw was The Wild Hunt. Oh man, that movie was amazing.
Popyman

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:19 pm

So I have been sick the last few days. Which means I was too dopey to do anything productive, so I watched some movies.

The Ten Commandments--Well, this was interesting. Completely different from what I was expecting. I liked it. Also, it had Yul Brynner, who is awesome.

The King and I--Saw it for the jillionty-fifth time. It is still fantastic and marvelous and wonderful. Also, it has Yul Brynner, who is awesome.

Singin' in the Rain--Also saw for the jillionty-fifth time. It is still funny and marvelous and wonderful. It does not have Yul Brynner, but it does have Donald O'Connor and great dancing and songs and stuff.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment