What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Edward » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I recently read The Ruins of Gorlan, the first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series, for about the fifth time. And now I'm reading Enchantment by Orson Scott Card, which I am really enjoying.

edit: I'm still reading Life in a Medieval City. It's quite interesting, and I would suggest that anyone interested in the topic check it out. My only problem with it is the fact that it is written as if it were actually the 13th centurey, so when the authors use words like 'contemporary' they are actually referring to 1250 AD. Other than that, I really like it, and would like to read some of their other books if I can.
Edward

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm currently reading The King in Yellow by Robert W Chambers, a collection of interlocking short-stories built around a fictional play that may cause harm to all those who read it. For no good reason this is a very eerie read.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GeneD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am

GeneD (post: 1503810) wrote:I am about half way through The Sword of Albion by Mark Chadbourn. It took me a while to really get into it but it's not bad so far.
Yeah, so the second half of The Sword of Albion dropped like a rock off my priority list when I found Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight at the library yesterday. So far it's quite a bit darker right off the bat than the other Tiffany books, which I'm not saying is a bad thing.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Edward » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:03 am

I just finished Enchantment and now I'm going to start reading Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis.

I'll also be reading parts of The Canterbury Tales in English class.
Edward

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:18 am

started Sign of the Moon part 4 of the Warriors: Omen of the Stars arc.
[spoiler]Hollyleaf is back![/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:25 am

Chelsea Cain - Heart Sick
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:55 am

Hyperion - Dan Simmons.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Artemis Fowl: Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfier
Better than 'time paradox' but not as good as 'lost colony.'
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 am

Starting CrookedStar's Promise the latest Warriors superbook. I didn't read the one before it, but these are one-shot spinoffs, so that doesn't matter.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:11 pm

The Old Testament: A Very Short Introduction by Michael Coogan

I didn't really care for this one very much; Coogan doesn't appear to be a Christian, so his stance on the Old Testament was that each book was cobbled together by later editors, there's no historical proof for lots of it, chunks of it are copied from other cultures' myths, etc. I was especially disturbed by his interpretation of a passage that he said was about angels coming down to earth and having children with human women a la Greek gods :eyebrow:

I'm also reading Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, which is very interesting but also much longer than I can deal with at the moment @_@
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Edward » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I just finished Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis. It was quite interesting, though a little too short, imo. I would read the rest of the trilogy immediatly, but I do not have access to them at the momemt. So, I'll be reading the Warriors anthology, edited by GRRM and Gardner Dozois.
Edward

Postby Popyman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It started as a NaNoWriMo novel so, of course, I HAD to read it. It is quite good so far!
Popyman

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Finished "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" a few hours ago. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Edward » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 pm

I've just started reading Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. I'm still reading the Warriors anthology.
Edward

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 am

Starting book 1 of the A Song of Ice and Fire series tonight. Figured if I am watching Game of Thrones I should probably read the books.
Stephen

Postby Nanao » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:34 pm

History of Europe by J.M. Roberts
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Blacklight » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 am

Currently reading Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy, book two) and am yet to reread The Reptile Room (book two of A Series of Unfortunate Events, which I decided to reread to form a better opinion of the series).
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Edward » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I just finished Xenocide. It was really good, [s]and now I'm going to start reading Children of the Mind. I haven't heard the best things about this book, but I'm going to read it anyway because I'd like to finish the Ender Quartet.[/s]

Nevermind. I think I'll start reading The Eye of the World, since I don't think I have any other good books that I feel like reading right now, and I actually haven't read it yet.
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Started (and didn't finish) Dragons of Autumn Twilight. It was a little too thick and heavy to finish with the schoolwork I have. Started reading Good Omens instead.
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Started Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger today in honor of Banned Books Week. I'm 2 chapters in and like it so far.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 am

I finished Dan Simmons' Hyperion and is now reading its sequel, The Fall of Hyperion. These books are generally filed under 'space opera' science fiction, and yes, it has enough of the ingredients to qualify as that, but these books should really be filed under horror. I've read a lot of Stephen King and I've read HP Lovecraft, but nothing they ever wrote or edritch abominations they employed are as spine-chilling as the Shrike.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Okami » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 am

Been re-reading Randy Pausch's 'The Last Lecture.' I haven't picked it up in a few years....I forgot how much I like this book!
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Dante » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I just swallowed Hermann Hesse's Beneath The Wheel yesterday night in one sitting. I had gotten through 30 pages, then last night ate through the remaining 150. Very good, but very very sad :'(. The way the author paints the scenes is awesome and when he decides to get comical once in a while, the imagery leaves you gasping for air with laughter. It would probably help to have a lot of experience in academia though as the book revolves around the subject from the beginning to the end.

It's been the first fiction book I've read in quite a while. Outside of that, I've been reading through Pro C#.NET 2008 by Troelsen... not nearly as poetic, but supprisingly funny on occasion:

Code: Select all
static void AskForBonus(EmpType e)
{
    case EmpType.Manager:
        Console.WriteLine("How about stock options instead?");
    break;
case EmpType.Grunt:
        Console.WriteLine("You have got to be kidding...");
    break;
case EmpType.Contractor:
        Console.WriteLine("You already get enough cash...");
    break;
case EmpType.VicePresident:
        Console.WriteLine("VERY GOOD, Sir!");
    break;
}

or my personal favorite!

// Ack! You can't cast frank to a Hexagon!
Hexagon hex = (Hexagon) frank;

But yeah - Beneath the wheel was far more enjoyable, but I'm happy that my non-fiction authors are a bit funny at times as well... even if their humor is... nerdy.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:49 pm

This response is rather delayed thanks to poor internet (this village is rural enough we have only one ISP, and since they don't have any competition they don't care much). I've done more reading, but I think I only have time for responses today.

Atria35 wrote: I ended up disliking this series because I read the sequel/prequel first, and discovered it's the exact same story (characters and all!) except set in a different time period.

This is the kind of feedback that makes this thread useful (in addition to interesting). I was considering putting more of this series in my next round of reading, but knowing that is enough to push me off the fence in the other direction. It would have to move forward substantially to hold my interest.

bigsleepj wrote: I read this book and rather liked it. Alas, bluntly ending stories is a common failing with Gemmell.

I enjoyed it too, though my thoughts (and hence what I wrote here) were distracted by the way it ended. I wouldn't mind reading more Gemmell, but other books are probably higher priority. Would you have a particular recommendation from his work?

Kaori wrote:Her Riddle-Master Trilogy is different: as one of her earliest works, it feels rather rough-edged, but it has a fascinating concept and strong plot twists that her other books lack. To try to explain without spoilers...

That sounds interesting enough for me to put it on the big list.
uc pseudonym

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:24 am

I recently bought and finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust. It's quite different from the movie but good in it's own way, although I think I actually like the movie more.

Still reading The Sword of Albion.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I've finally finished Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve. Once I made myself focus on it, it was actually pretty good. Nicely different from everything else I've read recently. I wasn't a huge fan of the main character, but I really liked how the world was built.

I was thinking I'd now read his previous work, Here Lies Arthur, but my sister has informed me that I wouldn't like it because two adults in it are huge idiots. Despite that and hating some 'praise' for it on the back of Fever Crumb (some famous critics who should have known better said "Smart teens will love this!" :eyebrow: ), I'll probably still look into it.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Just discovered Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan/The Executioner books. Good, short, sweet, military-espionage pulp fun. Like a Tom Clancy novel with the fat trimmed away. I was not at all surprised to find out that Mack Bolan was pretty much the basis (or at least a major influence) for Marvel Comics' The Punisher.

Also, being October now, it's time for a reading of my favorite seasonal book, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 pm

"The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis

I recently got into a "life after death" debate with a friend and re-read this book as a refresher on some of the more esoteric positions I had been arguing. I was astonished to find how much this book has influenced my thoughts on the subject. I had even quoted passages from the book during my argument without even realizing their source. For an imaginary tale, this story holds more theological weight than many treatises.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1507726) wrote:I enjoyed it too, though my thoughts (and hence what I wrote here) were distracted by the way it ended. I wouldn't mind reading more Gemmell, but other books are probably higher priority. Would you have a particular recommendation from his work?

I have read only about two or three books by Gemmell (including Knights of Dark Renown) and mean to read more later. Generally speaking his "Drenai" novels are considered his best.

Another novel of his that had interesting ideas (and a few decent scenes, both action and story driven) is Midnight Falcon, which is nominally part of a series known as 'the Regante Sequence', but like KnightsODR it has a lot of good ideas that don't seem properly developed. That is, he develops them to a point but instead of taking it further decides to end the story.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:17 am

The White Man's Burden by William Easterly
Yet another scathing critique of the aid industry. Why do we spend billions on foreign aid and yet still have children dying of diseases that cost 12 cents to cure? There are many complex reasons, but Easterly says one is behind much of the problem: the aid industry is accountable to donors instead of the poor, so it has developed to serve the needs of the wealthy who want to feel like they're changing the world, not the people who need that change.

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
For a while I wasn't sure what exactly this book was trying to be, then I realized it was taking the structure of a revenge plot while undermining it. This isn't a classic tragedy that weeps over the follies of revenge, it shoves your face into the ugliness of it and yells "Isn't this awesome?" Abercrombie writes perhaps the most violent books I've read that are deeply against violence.

Iron Council by China Miéville
Interesting, but oddly structured and somewhat disappointing after The Scar. I feel like I'm just not sure what Miéville is going for in terms of prose, since it obviously isn't the same things other authors prioritize. When he writes another New Crobuzan novel I'll read it, but otherwise I'll read other authors.

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
Reading this was a strange mix of positive and negative, which led me to try the author's other series...

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher
While some things did work better for me, I'm not sure I'm as interested in the plot. I may return to this series at some point, but right now I'm going back to the Dresden Files at least through the fourth book (more due to numerous recommendations than the series itself).
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner