Car Racing In Baltimore

Talk about anything in here.

Car Racing In Baltimore

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 pm

I just watch where they had Grand Prix racing in Baltimore MD. Started at the Oriole ballpark near the train stop, around the park, past the Hilton Hotel and convention center down to the Inner Harbor where it hairpin back toward the Hyatt Hotel back toward the back of the convention center and the ballpark. It was a 2 hour race. Interesting to see landmarks in the area for the race.
One thing was a caution for a missing manhole cover.
I could never think anyone could get down any street and Baltimore as fast as some as some cars were traveling. Then acourse there were the fender benders which must be normal for the street corner at the Inner Harbor.
Just think Otakon was just there in July.
ashfire

Postby Xeno » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:52 am

I guess this didn't get televised where I live at. What kind of cars were being raced?
Xeno

Postby ashfire » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 am

Porsches, Corvettes some modified GT racers built by BMW, Mercedes and a few others. It was televised on ABC by ESPN. They said the streets were a little rough on the cars for the speeds they were traveling because a few went into the pits at the ballpark for problems to the undercarriges.
ashfire

Postby Xeno » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 am

I would have loved to watched that race, but I didn't hear anything about it. Probably because the only kind of racing anyone around here cares about is NASCAR. *grumble*
Xeno

Postby ashfire » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 am

I understand the NASCAR race was stopped due to rain and won't run till tomorrow. One thing is to have a caution due to a missing manhole cover in the middle of the race.
ashfire

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 am

I saw it on the news. I actually walked around the area they were going to have it a few weeks ago.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Xeno » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 am

ashfire (post: 1502236) wrote:I understand the NASCAR race was stopped due to rain and won't run till tomorrow. One thing is to have a caution due to a missing manhole cover in the middle of the race.

Well there is a reason they do that. NASCAR uses actual run-flat racing tires, there is no tread on them. The reason for this is that at the speed the cars run the tread would melt and rip off the tires and it would be a disaster. Moisture on the track from rain would mean the cars wouldn't be able to get grip of any kind and would just start sliding into the outer wall.
Xeno

Return to General