Earthquake in D.C.

Talk about anything in here.

Earthquake in D.C.

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

Yeah, D.C. just got hit by a 6.0 earthquake... And my family felt the tremor. For a second, I thought that the soldiers on base here were just testing a few explosives, and apparently my mom thought she had a dizzy spell, but nope. After we put together that the house didn't rattle, but the ground underneath it shook a little, we turned the news on and there it said that D.C. got an earthquake... This is gonna sound farfetched, but this earthquake tremor better not trigger a tsunami. I live on the water. Seriously, it's my backyard, so if a tsunami were to hit, that would kinda suck, y'know? But that's not really likely. Has anyone else here ever been in an actual earthquake or tremor? If you were in a tremor, what did you think it was at first?
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Xeno » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 am

I just got a voice mail from my parents who live on Fort Eustis in Virginia about this. They felt it for about 15 to 20 seconds. I didn't know they had earthquakes in VA.
As far as a tidal wave forming, I suppose it's possible, but if it occurred right in D.C. it's got a lot more land mass to travel through than the one in Fukushima, Japan did.
Xeno

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

A 6 isn't big enough to trigger a tsunami.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Apparently they get 'em once in a great blue moon. Kinda scary...

And dude, your parents live at Ft. Eustis?! I lived there for three stinkin' years! Epicness.

mechana2015 (post: 1499162) wrote:A 6 isn't big enough to trigger a tsunami.

Yayz, I'm happy now. *Runs down to the beach*

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am

It was also apparanty only a 5.9.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am

Living in California, an earthquake of this magnitude isn't too big of a deal.

However, we have building codes to make sure that we can deal with it, and I am pretty sure that the East Coast doesn't. I've already seen some pictures of older brick walls having fell down as a result. Hopefully that will be the extent of the damage.

What's strange to me is that this is no where near a known fault line. I wonder what the cause was? It looks like a smaller earthquake happened in the same area not too long ago, so I suppose that I have some research to do.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 am

Fox said it was a 6.0, but meh. No one's been hurt, at least I don't think anyone's been hurt, so I'm relieved.

EDIT: And I read on Google that earthquakes are possible on the east coast, but not likely. This was one of the unlikely chances.

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:26 am

I just felt it!!!!! It was scary. I was working on my daddy's logo on photoshop and all of a sudden the ground started to shake. I was screaming like a maniac to my family, "GET IN THE DOORJAM!!!!!" a million times. I ran out of the house when I saw the stuff on our wall shake. I ran out of the house and once my mommy heard a few of her nice ceramics fall to the ground and break, then the rest of the family ran out of the house. Twas scary.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:27 am

It's on CNN as a 5.8, Wikipedia as a 5.9. It'll be interesting to see waht the actual conclusion is, since ever .2 on the scale is a 100% increase in the strength of the quake, which means FOX literally reported twice as strong an incident as CNN.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 am

mechana2015 (post: 1499171) wrote:It's on CNN as a 5.8, Wikipedia as a 5.9. It'll be interesting to see waht the actual conclusion is, since ever .2 on the scale is a 100% increase in the strength of the quake, which means FOX literally reported twice as strong an incident as CNN.

On the USGS earthquake site, it is currently listed as a 5.9. Earlier, though, it was shown as 5.8. I suppose that the earlier report was a misreading?
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 am

I felt the tremors here in Pennsylvania and it scared the crap out of me. I've never had this experience before and now I'm afraid about aftershocks because I'm paranoid like that.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 am

I've never been in an actual Earthquake (at least from what I can remember) but I have felt aftershocks. One time we felt an aftershock that lasted longer than any we've experienced (I don't think it was very long ago either). When we feel shaking, we automatically know it's a quake (or aftershock of it). Being a California girl, well, it's to be expected. Hearing about a quake hitting DC only several months after Japan, well, kinda frightens me. I believe most of CA (including where I LIVE) is within what they call the "Ring of Fire" and so...hopefully nothing tramatic will hit here anytime soon, I HOPE.

I hope the people in DC are OK. I haven't heard anything about injuries or such. We should probably pray for them. Times are getting scary...
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Xeno » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 am

Ally-Ann (post: 1499163) wrote:And dude, your parents live at Ft. Eustis?! I lived there for three stinkin' years! Epicness.

Yes, they live on Ft. Useless, but they should be getting relocated soon, possibly to Scofield Barracks in Hawaii. I'm reluctant to say what my father does on the base since there is a chance one of your parents might actually know my dad.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm glad it appears no one was injured. We had an earthquake out here in Oklahoma a number of months ago that was ?!?!?!?! also since I don't think we're near a fault line either. The Mole People will soon rise and retake what was once theirs.
Xeno

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 am

I'm still a little freaked out.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

I was sitting here on the computer and at first I thought a plane was flying really low, until the house started shaking harder and I was like "Uh..." My house got shaken pretty decently, but I don't think we had any real damage, some Mountain Dew cans I had got knocked over though.

But yeah, AP is saying 6.0, which makes this the biggest quake we've had in this area, and it was felt as far north as New York and New Jersey, and a good portion of North Carolina too.
I was screaming like a maniac to my family, "GET IN THE DOORJAM!!!!!"

While this is true in California, buildings on the east coast are not built to earthquake codes because they happen so rarely. Standing in a doorway will not protect you in an earthquake, it is not a structurally strong point of the building, and any engineer will tell you that. Again, in California, I believe they have rounded door frames which DO help protect, but square door frames are useless and you will get crushed just as easily under one of them.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Nate (post: 1499181) wrote:While this is true in California, buildings on the east coast are not built to earthquake codes because they happen so rarely. Standing in a doorway will not protect you in an earthquake, it is not a structurally strong point of the building, and any engineer will tell you that. Again, in California, I believe they have rounded door frames which DO help protect, but square door frames are useless and you will get crushed just as easily under one of them.

This. Your best bet is to get under a table or a desk (in my basement, we have a desk made of metal. Very stable, very safe to be under). And don't run outside- unless you live in the middle of a field, then you're putting yourself and your family at risk of being crushed by a falling tree or streetlight, or even by the walls of the building.

Here, this will help:
http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_during.shtm
Atria35

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 pm

I was watching Television about to take a nap when it hit. At first I thought it was just me but when I got my foot on the ground, I realized it was an earthquake. It was exciting and scary at the same time. My siblings and I peaked out the door to see if it was the entire neighborhood, and it turned out everyone felt it.

It was a 5.9 or something (At first, I thought it was a 1.0 or 2.0). My room is in dissaray...like it usually is. WJZ rounded it up to 6.0

In any case, this is the second one I've experienced (The first being one we had at 5:00 in the morning while I was working on a paper a while ago).
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:19 pm

I usually don't worry about natural disasters but I'm a little freaked out right now. Earthquakes are scary to me because I live in Oklahoma and we hardly ever have them here. We did have one earlier this year. Scared the crap out of me, especially since I was asleep when it hit and it woke me up.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Cognitive Gear wrote:
What's strange to me is that this is no where near a known fault line. I wonder what the cause was? It looks like a smaller earthquake happened in the same area not too long ago, so I suppose that I have some research to do.

It was near a fault line.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/quake.html

What a lot of people don't know is, there are a few fault lines around the The Blue Ridge Mts. in Virginia and The Alleghenies in Pennsylvania. Ga has three fault lines, which we had 6.0 to hit near Gainesville Ga in the 60's and about wipe the whole town out.

http://www.gaearthquakeinsurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/georgia.jpg

The fault line in the middle picture of the state of Ga is the one that runs up to Va.
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Apparently, most people who felt it here in SC that I've spoken with were sitting at their desks at the time. My class, however, was taking a tour of the campus for an illustrative tour project my teacher wants us to work on, and I think we were probably all trekking downhill at the time of the tremors. So I missed it until people started talking about it around campus. XD I am a little disappointed to have missed my first earthquake, but I'm glad to hear from most sources that the damage isn't really bad up in VA.

Also, I'm not sure about the building standards in SC. Charleston is sitting right on a fault line and has had some pretty bad earthquakes in the past (though none terribly recently), so it wouldn't surprise me to find at least some buildings in SC with proper earthquake building codes.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1499190) wrote:It was near a fault line.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/quake.html

What a lot of people don't know is, there are a few fault lines around the The Blue Ridge Mts. in Virginia and The Alleghenies in Pennsylvania. Ga has three fault lines, which we had 6.0 to hit near Gainesville Ga in the 60's and about wipe the whole town out.

http://www.gaearthquakeinsurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/georgia.jpg

The fault line in the middle picture of the state of Ga is the one that runs up to Va.

Huh. The map I looked at didn't show any fault lines there. *double checks*

Ah, I was looking at a map of "active" fault lines, in which it didn't show anything on the East Coast.

Cognitive Gear

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Nate (post: 1499181) wrote:But yeah, AP is saying 6.0, which makes this the biggest quake we've had in this area, and it was felt as far north as New York and New Jersey, and a good portion of North Carolina too.

I think I'm gonna wait for the official USGS number (unless the AP is quoting them.)

Nate (post: 1499181) wrote: Again, in California, I believe they have rounded door frames which DO help protect, but square door frames are useless and you will get crushed just as easily under one of them.

I've actually never seen rounded door frames in California. The current recommendation is to get under or right next to a sturdy piece of furnature that can't tip over, and away from glass and other breakable items.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ashfire » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:44 pm

I was sitting at my desk in the county garage and the chair was boucing and then the whole building started shaking. I have never seen people clear out so fast. I am gald no one was under a truck on a lift.
The National Cathedral has damage to the spirals on top.
They were afraid the Washington Monument had damage but they say its OK until a good inspection.
More buildings and bridges are being check all over.
ashfire

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Felt it in my apartment. My husband emailed later, seeing the ship's crew was given the news. Nothing was damaged, but it did set my nerves on edge, seeing I'm originally from CA and felt the big one that hit Northridge.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Technomancer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Felt it pretty strongly here in southern Ontario too. Felt things starting to move, and started wondering why I should be feeling dizzy. Then the real movement started. It was strong enough to set my bookshelves to swaying, and to knock a few books over.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I was sitting in a meeting on the 9th floor of a 16-floor glass and steel building. At first, the building swayed like when it is blown by a strong gust of wind. Then, it started oscillating. There was uncertainty around the table. I stood up and just said one word: "Exits". We all made a beeline.

Taking the first couple steps, it felt like walking on a boat in choppy seas. We were not sure if it had been an explosion or an earthquake, but all I could think of was the WTC towers, and being buried alive in a mass of debris. I felt somewhat more comforted when I got to the reinforced concrete stairwell.

By the time we got to the bottom, I didn't see a lot of debris or a mushroom cloud, so I guessed it had been an earthquake. Moments later, this was confirmed, as we began hearing reports from southern VA and NC via Twitter and FB. No explosion, this.

I'd been in a previous earthquake in Tokyo (reported here on CAA, interestingly), so I wasn't unfamiliar, but I was still rattled more than I would think for such a small event. Guess it comes down to your comfort level with these fifty-year-old buildings and their structural integrity...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 pm

I was in the shower and everything started moving. I thought the people above or below me were doing some hardcore construction for a second. I also hoped the building wouldn't start falling apart because I wasn't wearing any clothes and running outside naked would be kind of awkward.

We had a small earthquake last summer at like 5AM or something. It was only a 3.something.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:38 pm

I got caught in the shower once during an earthquake. Probably the must frustrating and potentially awkward situation ever, especially since it was in a hotel with my parents.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Okay, I don't want to seem lacking in compassion, because earthquakes are scary regardless of magnitude. I'm sorry you guys had to experience something so frightening, and I hope it wakes up the east coast (and the rest of America) and they do a better job at reinforcing buildings for earthquakes. I hope there aren't any more.

But I've seen articles that call it "devastating" and show pictures of people's tipped over yogurt cups and collapsed cd shelves and whatnot. Again, I'm sorry you're frightened, but suck it up, America. You don't get to use the word "devastating" until at least one person loses their home.

...also, I'm afraid if I tell my earthquake stories it'll sound like I'm trying to one-up you guys, which I'm definitely not. So I'll just say again that yes, earthquakes are scary, and I'm definitely not lacking in empathy for you guys or thinking that you're wimps or anything because you're scared. I remember when 2 pointers used to scare me.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1499243) wrote:Okay, I don't want to seem lacking in compassion, because earthquakes are scary regardless of magnitude. I'm sorry you guys had to experience something so frightening, and I hope it wakes up the east coast (and the rest of America) and they do a better job at reinforcing buildings for earthquakes. I hope there aren't any more.

But I've seen articles that call it "devastating" and show pictures of people's tipped over yogurt cups and collapsed cd shelves and whatnot. Again, I'm sorry you're frightened, but suck it up, America. You don't get to use the word "devastating" until at least one person loses their home.

...also, I'm afraid if I tell my earthquake stories it'll sound like I'm trying to one-up you guys, which I'm definitely not. So I'll just say again that yes, earthquakes are scary, and I'm definitely not lacking in empathy for you guys or thinking that you're wimps or anything because you're scared. I remember when 2 pointers used to scare me.

Oh wow, the media is apparently really playing this up. :lol: The only place I have seen the words Earthquake Devastation is here.

Cognitive Gear

Next

Return to General