CAA - Test Your Geography

Talk about anything in here.

CAA - Test Your Geography

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:46 am

Ok, so this is a simple game where you get to name as many nations as you can think of within 15 minutes. *name, not drag and drop*

http://www.sporcle.com/games/world.php

Hint 1 - There is a basic spell-check, but don't be surprised if you struggle near west-Asia.

Hint 2 - Some nations have "republic" or "kingdom" in them, so if it fails, keep hacking away.

Please post your results in a discreet manner. Spoilers don't hide images and try not to spoil any names.

I got 101, and made one massive mistake, which was more of a result of how I went about naming European nations rather than outright forgetting it, as I did with like 40 other nations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby goldenspines » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:38 am

Wow, that was rough. x.x I mostly had trouble because I couldn't remember the spelling of the countries I did know.
[spoiler] Also, England, why you have so many namesssadasjkd;HKDLHsjdasdk
At least I got the US. XDD;; [/spoiler]

West Asian countries murdered me. I honestly didn't know there were that many countries over there. O: *goes off to cry in shame and study more geography*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goldenspines

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 am

I got 150 out of 196, ran out of steam 11 minutes into it, and still got all the countries in west Asia, thank you very much.

What killed me was west Africa, the Pacific, Caribbean, and a lot of the smaller ones. [spoiler]For goodness' sakes, I missed Andorra! How could I miss Andorra of all places? Also, Kyrgyzstan. And South Africa because I was stupid, Bosnia and Herzegovina because I can't spell...[/spoiler] ...yeah. 'Twas a nice diversion, at least.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

My gosh. That was hard... I got about 40 or 50-ish of them. I wound up looking up a lot of names of countries I knew, because I couldn't get it to accept them (needed to check spelling). No matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get it to accept Greenland for some reason... And whoa, how many names does the UK have? o_0 But, come to think of it, the US has quite a few too...

I did a couple runs of it. Still can't believe I missed Taiwan on my last try. -_- Sheesh! How on earth did I miss that?! D:
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:47 pm

I got 115 - I was still going by the end though, and wasted some time with bad spellings and attempted "kingdom"s. The small squished map made it hard to see what you haven't guessed yet once you've got one or two labels (transparency?). Some of them were hard to remember if they were a territory or an actual country as well...
Sometimes it was a bit forgiving for some - I entered an alternative name and it worked.
Central America/Caribbean/West Africa were a bit of a killer, but I did run out of time for West/Central Africa too.

[spoiler]What was wrong with "England"? I typed "UK" straight away and it worked.. I thought you meant I had to guess multiple names for it... Also, I'm glad it's very up-to-date with South Sudan.[/spoiler]
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:59 pm

Bah, I only got to 40 before giving up. People whine about Americans not knowing geography. I think they're right. :P
Shao Feng-Li

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 am

Argh, I only got 50 at best XD It's so hard! Everytime after I would run out of time and all the names would pop up I'd be like, "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?! I KNEW THAT ONE!"

Edit: 62, actually. Still... D:<
PrincessZelda

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:34 am

I only got 49 but my brain farted and the rest of me got stuck on spelling Czechaslavakia and some other countries (I tried so many times).

I put down Australia first, then Madagascar. :)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:44 am

Yeah, it is easy to miss the borders when the names start to pile up, and there are a good deal of nations I know of, but kinda forgot to write when going through this.

And yes, the spelling was unforgiving at times. XD I kept mixing between Norwegian spellings and English spellings on a few of them.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:00 am

115, at past 3:30 in the morning. I know I missed a number of countries just from fatigue, including several that I thought I'd put in, but apparently hadn't. I mostly fell down on Africa and the little island nations.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:18 am

Only 75. I hang my head in shame, but in my defense it's been a good seven or eight years since I took geography...

I do, however, pride myself on remembering Tuvalu.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:42 am

I only got 68 --and when the names popped up at the end, I was like, "How could I forget THOSE?!?"

I worked at the international student office for two years, too...:(
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 am

You know, doing that at 2 AM probably didn't help me any, either XD

I also think it was funny how many I remembered because of food.
PrincessZelda

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:21 am

I got 106.

Some of them I can't believe I forgot, mostly because I was distracted. African and Central Asian countries murdered me, as well as the fact that I didn't realize there were so many countries in the Carribean.
Not remembering how to spell certain nations really killed me as well.
Yamamaya

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:20 pm

I got 84 while wide awake XD Though I'm not sure it counts, with all the times I did over. I got up to 100 with the combined efforts of me and my parents.
PrincessZelda

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I got 76 But went braindead halfway through. I'll probably try again after having eaten.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:51 pm

It doesn't help Zaire and the Congo no longer exist!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1495851) wrote:It doesn't help Zaire and the Congo no longer exist!

Well, Congo does --it's just two countries now: The Democratic Republic of Congo and the Republic of Congo.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:47 pm

63- but I will completely admit that I'm terrible at remembering countries' names right off the bat. If I hear it, I will know where it is, but naming them? Yeahno. When the names popped up I know that there were 20 more that I missed that I certainly knew about and where they were.
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 pm

96 the second time. I SHALL CONQUER THIS THING.

Or at least get better than half... :/
Yuki-Anne

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:20 am

Sheenar, thanks, that's true. But I typed in 'Congo' and obviously it didn't work.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:30 am

Attempt 2 - 82 [spoiler]but I spent a good minute trying to spell Turkmenistan and not getting it[/spoiler]. And it gets really hard to figure out what's missing abound 60 or so, since it covers up the map.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:17 am

I think I just took it for the 5th or 6th time. 132. I WILL KNOW MY NATIONS!
Yuki-Anne

Postby Edward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:13 am

All the times I've taken it, I got about 100. I can get in the 130's if I have a list and just copy the countries names that I recognize.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:27 pm

90, but got distracted.

Edit: A few more runs through Yakko's world and I hit 107.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Haha, I used Yakko's world but there are some nations on there that don't exist, some that aren't nations at all, but territories, and I even found a couple of misspellings.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Another thing to remember is that there are now two Sudans, Sudan and South Sudan.

Certain regions of Africa are very volatile hence the constantly changing names and occassional new nation.
Yamamaya

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1496015) wrote:Haha, I used Yakko's world but there are some nations on there that don't exist, some that aren't nations at all, but territories, and I even found a couple of misspellings.

Oh, cheater... you can't use the song...

You have to memorize it XD

though, I would have likely used it too...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:47 am

I didn't have it running in the background, I just listened to it earlier in the day XD.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Just tried it and got 54. Which was a strain. Then I saw the answers and kicked myself at how many I knew. XD

Off to try again...

EDIT: Got 63. Darn, this is hard.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Next

Return to General