Silent Hill no more

Talk about anything in here.

Silent Hill no more

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:04 am

Just a small piece of local good news (and frankly this city needs some), that might interest fans of Silent Hill. If you've ever seen the Silent Hill movie, you'll remember the scene with the abandoned, derelict hotel. This was actually an abandoned, derelict department store in the middle of my city's downtown. Apparently, a good place to shoot ugly, post-industrial cityscapes is here in Steeltown. Anyways, after it had been left abandoned over twenty years ago, the building has been bought up and restored (pictures not mine). As an incidental aside, the exterior of the "temple" in the movie was another local landmark; it was a cropped version of the Scottish Rite building.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/570623--lady-lister-s-return-to-glory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:07 am

Interesting. What are they going to do to the restored building?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:45 pm

I always love to see old buildings get restored rather than demolished.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:30 am

bigsleepj (post: 1493911) wrote:Interesting. What are they going to do to the restored building?

Some retail space on the first floor, and some municipal offices above. The article also mentioned that the 1st floor will be open for events like Art Crawl, which is something I'll be looking forward to.

I always love to see old buildings get restored rather than demolished.

Same here, we've lost quite a few to neglect lately. I'm hoping things will turn around, but we'll have to wait and see.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:32 pm

That reminds me, I still wanna visit the town of Centralia someday.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Return to General