Amy Winehouse is dead

Talk about anything in here.

Amy Winehouse is dead

Postby fermy6 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Im really sad about what happened to her......She never asked for this, but her choices have let her down this road

May this be evidence of the dangers of drugs:(
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Sad, but not unexpected. :(
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Should I feel bad that I don't really know who that is? Any other way I'm sorry she died. :(
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Xeno » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:53 pm

This probably is going to come across as incredibly insensitive, but:

They tried to make her go to rehab
But she said, "No, no, no"
Xeno

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm

What a tragic loss of life and talent.
TopazRaven (post: 1492356) wrote:Should I feel bad that I don't really know who that is? Any other way I'm sorry she died. :(

She's a British Soul and R&B singer-songwriter who had quite a voice. Unfortunately, she was also a drug addict.

Xeno (post: 1492357) wrote:This probably is going to come across as incredibly insensitive, but:

It does. She struggled with depression, self-harm, alcohol, drug addiction, and eating disorders. Drug addiction is a powerful force, and arguably makes some powerless to stop unless something dramatic happens. Yes, she did drugs, and yes, it probably resulted in her death. No, that doesn't give us the right to judge, or even to insinuate that she deserved it.

EDIT: Did some research, and discovered that she apparently had previously had some success in fighting these issues.
[quote="wikipedia"]In an interview released in June 2009 Winehouse's father said the singer was in a drug replacement programme. He said she was gradually recovering but that heavy drinking was causing "slight backward steps". A documentary shot early in 2009 shows Winehouse apparently intoxicated according to a newspaper report.[159] Pictures published by a magazine in July 2009 upon her return to the United Kingdom from her extended stay in St. Lucia appeared to show that Winehouse had gained weight and that her complexion was improved.[160] In an October 2010 interview Winehouse said she had been drug-free for three years, saying "I literally woke up one day and was like, 'I don’]

Apparently this was a relapse.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Okami » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 pm

I found out due to TWLOHA's latest blog...

"And then with the news of the death of Amy Winehouse, we pause to say and remember that Amy was a person. She was more than a voice, more than a star, more than an addict. She was somebody's daughter, somebody's friend. Our hearts are heavy for her loved ones today."

Truer words couldn't be said. We all have our struggles. It's not our place to judge because someone's might be different than our own.... We need to use tragedy to remind ourselves that life really is fragile, and we ought to use the broken times to let strengthen us to keep pressing on.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:14 pm

fermy6 (post: 1492319) wrote:Im really sad about what happened to her......She never asked for this, but her choices have let her down this road

May this be evidence of the dangers of drugs:(

Not to pour salt on the grave, but doing heavy drugs is pretty much asking for it.

That being said, she had an amazing talent and I am sad to see her pass away.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:16 pm

She really was a brilliant musician. Most people only remember her for "Rehab" and the myriad of drug pictures, and forget just how talented she actually was.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Xeno (post: 1492357) wrote:This probably is going to come across as incredibly insensitive, but:

LOL Well, after seeing "Soul Surfer" in the theatre, I joked to a coworker about it possibly being in bad taste if they had that "Shark In the Water" song in the soundtrack... :P
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby ADXC » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:10 pm

She just joined the 27 club.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
ADXC

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Huh, not very surprised at all. It's too bad she threw her self away like that. I honestly had no idea she really had talent. The only song she ever had on the radio was the "Rehab" one.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 pm

I thought the drug overdose thing was just a rumor? I heard that they don't really know how she died yet... Or has the drug overdose been confirmed by now?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Xeno » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1492377) wrote:I thought the drug overdose thing was just a rumor? I heard that they don't really know how she died yet... Or has the drug overdose been confirmed by now?

It really is unconfirmed so far. Just insensitive people like myself like to make knee-jerk decisions on what caused it, and the whole thing with that rehab song just kinda goes hand-in-hand with an overdose.
Xeno

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:19 am

I feel dumb v.v who is this? >.<

Edit:
Never mind I looked her up I know her music I just didn't know I guess thats who it was >.>
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:10 am

The lack of sympathy and compassion from many people for this young woman makes me very sad. :( A friend of mine said it well:

"The lack of sympathy for drug addiction is so disheartening. The told-you-so mentality that is so prevalent (per the status updates I've been reading) makes me want to cry. Addiction should be taken seriously and not mocked."
Seriously, people. Have some compassion.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:13 am

I hope I didn't sound like I was being insensitive. I just really never heard of her before. I think I heard some of Rehab before, but that's about it. I'll have to look up some of her other stuff now. Any loss of life is a trajedy of course, I'm also saddened by the lack of care. :(
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:52 am

There's always a little of that in her case, Topaz. The same thing happened when Kurt Cobain died. I remember there were a lot of insensitive people at my school who commented on it, saying some pretty mean things about it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby fermy6 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 am

About the whole Rock Star 27 club.......Do you guys think its a real curse who just coincidence (I watched the Hollywood curses thing on E!)
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:06 am

Coincidence. I'm pretty sure you could compile a list of stars from other ages too if you really felt like it, but having Cobain and Hendrix top this particular list brings the most attention here.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:11 am

Well, this is sad, but I cannot say I am surprised or shocked.

If anything this should provide yet another example of how whatever techniques they use in rehab are ineffective and don't work.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Xeno » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:16 am

Sheenar (post: 1492407) wrote:The lack of sympathy and compassion from many people for this young woman makes me very sad. :( A friend of mine said it well:

"The lack of sympathy for drug addiction is so disheartening. The told-you-so mentality that is so prevalent (per the status updates I've been reading) makes me want to cry. Addiction should be taken seriously and not mocked."
Seriously, people. Have some compassion.

Want to make a quick point to this. It's not that I'm unsympathetic to persons with drug or alcohol addiction. Those are very real things that have to be battled and they ruin the lives of the people taking them and the people around them. However, when someone releases a top 40 pop song about how they refuse to go to rehab because they don't have the time, and that their daddy's opinion is that they don't have a problem, that makes my sympathy go away if that was the cause of the death.

Is it tragic? Yes, because a talented (or even if she wasn't talented) young woman had died. Am I required to feel heartbroken about it? No, I don't think I am, because if you have a problem, acknowledge that you have a problem, and fail to seek help for it, why should I feel sorry? If there is a middle ground, where she was trying to get back on her feet, going to rehab and just kept falling off the wagon every so often then that's different also, I can sympathise with that.

Ultimately though, she, just like any other "big star" who has died of an overdose will be scrutinized.
Xeno

Postby Midori » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Um, I'm pretty sure you all know what direction we don't want this thread heading toward. (hint: the fighting direction.)

Furthermore, while I make no judgements as to whether scrutinization is good, I will say that this thread is not for it. Bringing moral discussions into a thread about someone who has just died almost always ends up destroying the thread and making people sad. So don't.
Midori

Return to General