i imagine a voice for your avy

Talk about anything in here.

i imagine a voice for your avy

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Ok, so, another avatar discussion thread. Bear with me peoples.

Is it just me...
When read through posts on CAA, I frequently notice people's avatars. But what's weird is, their avatar plays a part in my impression of them. Based on the avatar, I'll pick a mental voice to match it as I read the post. For example, for avatars that look like the sky or forest or some open space I imagine an ethereal sound. For avatars of anime girls, I imagine a female voice. (As you can imagine, there are times when it's kind of awkward to discover that the poster is a male.)

Am I just weird, or is there other people who do this as well?

Related: Is there something else that triggers your impression of a person based on their choice of avatar?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes and no. Avatars do influence how I imagine people look (for instance, your avatr makes me think you have white or light-colored hair), but depending on the pic it either will or won't affect the 'voice' I hear speaking. For ones with the sky or space or whatnot, I don't have voices- it's all my own. Maybe in a happy or serious tone, but my own. When I see people and animals, then I have different voices.
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 pm

I used to imagine voices for the knots in my wall's wood paneling when I was a child.

I don't actually imagine any voices for people on message boards.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Cognitive Gear

Postby Edward » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I usually read things in my own voice, but I do read some people's posts in a certain voice.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Winry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:08 pm

The avatars sort of influence what the person looks like in my head, not his or her voice.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Winry (post: 1491771) wrote:The avatars sort of influence what the person looks like in my head, not his or her voice.

Same for me.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm not sure if avatars influence a voice I hear so much. I don't pay attention to how typed words 'sound' in my head.

However, I think if there's a face in an avatar--the more human-like, the better--that will somewhat effect my impression of a person. To name a specific example, Atria35's avatar has a pleasant smile. Therefore, I tend to think of her as pleasantly saying whatever it is she's posted, and generally being a pleasant person. When I think more about it, though, I know there's more to her than a pretty smile: history, personality, beliefs, etc. She's her own person, and her avatar can't display all of that, nor can I expect to figure out exactly who she is from a 100x100 pixel image. But in most cases, her avatar's expression vaguely influences my impression of her and her attitude. Kind of.

...And I really hope I said all of that tactfully, and that it's not rude of me to single you out like that, Atria. >_>;;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1491755) wrote: Based on the avatar, I'll pick a mental voice to match it as I read the post. For example, for avatars that look like the sky or forest or some open space I imagine an ethereal sound. For avatars of anime girls, I imagine a female voice. (As you can imagine, there are times when it's kind of awkward to discover that the poster is a male.)

Winry (post: 1491771) wrote:The avatars sort of influence what the person looks like in my head, not his or her voice.

Well now I gotta wonder how my avatar works out in all this. O.o

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Okami » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:39 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1491785) wrote:Well now I gotta wonder how my avatar works out in all this. O.o

Right? XD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Winry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:01 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1491785) wrote:Well now I gotta wonder how my avatar works out in all this. O.o

Yeah, you have no idea how surprised I was to find you weren't a giant bird.... XP
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Winry

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Winry (post: 1491791) wrote:Yeah, you have no idea how surprised I was to find you weren't a giant bird.... XP
Wait, he's not? D:

Like others in this thread, I often associate people's appearances to their avatars. Usually, I think of their hair color to match their avvie more than anything.
Though, I do suppose the avatar does have some effect on how I do read someone's post. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Wallachia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm

If I see an avatar with a smug or mean expression, chances are I'll tend to think the post is sarcastic or rude. Of course, it's also the opposite with gentle avatars, or pictures of people smiling... I tend to sort things out afterwards though.

Oh, but that's not quite on topic here, is it? About voices, I tend to read most posts by men in my voice, with some slight changes in pitch to differentiate people in a topic. If a user is female or has a female avatar, I... I don't even know whose voice that is. It's female, I think...

Animal/scenery/miscellaneous avatars are indifferent and I simply read the accompanying post in my voice again.

I've never thought about what a person looks like when I see their avatar.

Wallachia

Postby Xeno » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 am

Okami (post: 1491787) wrote:Right? XD

So does this mean I facelessly object to everything?
Xeno

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 am

Winry (post: 1491791) wrote:Yeah, you have no idea how surprised I was to find you weren't a giant bird.... XP

That would have been pretty funny to see though... a big yellow bird rushing towards the convention center with a cell phone and a messenger bag. XD

Edit: And glasses...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 am

Yah, there are many times where I See someone who has...say a certain gender in their avie. and I assume that if they have a guy in their avatar then they are a guy, even if their little gender icon says otherwise XD.

If anyone reads my avatar they should read it as Pinky Pie's voice. :P

That would have been pretty funny to see though... a big yellow bird rushing towards the convention center with a cell phone. XD

I'm totes drawing this.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 am

Back when Fu had Taylor Swift for her avy, I had it in my mind she had blonde curly hair like Taylor Swift. I think of looks, not voice.

BTW, Christian Kitsune, you're avy is ADORRRRRRRABLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Did you draw it on photoshop?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Winry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 am

mechana2015 (post: 1491818) wrote:That would have been pretty funny to see though... a big yellow bird rushing towards the convention center with a cell phone and a messenger bag. XD

Well, now I'm disappointed that didn't happen...

Winry

Postby TheMewster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 am

And I think Winry is wearing a blonde ponytail and a blue and white scarf. And it gets really confusing when people change their avatars. So nobody thinks I'm a kitty cat right?
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

Apparently, everyone thinks I look like a guy. I can imagine Mewster being a kittylover. I love kitties also.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 am

A voice for your av, hm? That is interesting. Usually the avatar sort of makes me think of the person speaking, but not their voice. That's kind of cool, actually. Unique.

And for the record, since my avatar is Sakura from Cardcaptors, I'll have you know that if you've seen the dubbed version my voice sounds VERY SIMILIAR to Carly McKillip's! No, I'm NOT joking. It's...almost virtually identical, only I sound a slight, slight bit different...like maybe a tad older? Not by much. (I know this 'cause I've dubbed over her for fun, and I'm like MAN I SOUND SO MUCH LIKE HER! O.O)
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 am

I can only wonder what people think of me, now. The voice and the gender together...what does the lake say about it?
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm

TheMewster (post: 1491845) wrote:And I think Winry is wearing a blonde ponytail and a blue and white scarf. And it gets really confusing when people change their avatars. So nobody thinks I'm a kitty cat right?

I think that's her sleeve.

Well, you avatar is not particularly memorable (in my opinion at least) so most of my impressions of you come from chat and the podcast. I also know Goldy from chat and CK from the podcast. I suppose you could say I know you rather that just taking impressions.

For mods in general I actually take more from the blue SN then from the avatar. it lends an authoritativeness to their voice even if they have a silly/goofy avatar or they change it a lot.
/ramble
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Destroyer2000 (post: 1491852) wrote:I can only wonder what people think of me, now. The voice and the gender together...what does the lake say about it?

I guess my mind can't work with your avatar, so it goes to your username. I tend to imagine you as a robot, or a starship or something.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Darth_Kirby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1491851) wrote:A voice for your av, hm? That is interesting. Usually the avatar sort of makes me think of the person speaking, but not their voice. That's kind of cool, actually. Unique.

And for the record, since my avatar is Sakura from Cardcaptors, I'll have you know that if you've seen the dubbed version my voice sounds VERY SIMILIAR to Carly McKillip's! No, I'm NOT joking. It's...almost virtually identical, only I sound a slight, slight bit different...like maybe a tad older? Not by much. (I know this 'cause I've dubbed over her for fun, and I'm like MAN I SOUND SO MUCH LIKE HER! O.O)

lol So the whole "imagining their voice based on their avatar" would work in your case. XD

As for my, I can do a mean Kirby impersonation, but I in no way naturally sound like the Kirbster. lol XP
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Winry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 pm

TheMewster (post: 1491845) wrote:And I think Winry is wearing a blonde ponytail and a blue and white scarf.

I do have blonde hair... but don't really wear striped shirts.

Maybe I should change my avy to some weird colored hair... so people can start imagining me with pink hair!

and Darth - I think it's a good thing you don't naturally sound like Kirby. That would be... odd. XD

Winry

Postby Lynna » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

TheMewster (post: 1491845) wrote:And I think Winry is wearing a blonde ponytail and a blue and white scarf. And it gets really confusing when people change their avatars. So nobody thinks I'm a kitty cat right?

I know you're not a kitty IRL, but when I read your posts I do picture you as the little kitty in your avatar XD

So what kind of voice do I have to people? and I'm guessing that by now everyone pictures me as Sana
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Xeno » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Winry (post: 1491945) wrote:and Darth - I think it's a good thing you don't naturally sound like Kirby. That would be... odd. XD

Just to put a spin on things, I'm going to read all of Darth's posts in Mike Tyson's voice from now on though.
Xeno

Postby Darth_Kirby » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 am

Winry (post: 1491945) wrote:I do have blonde hair... but don't really wear striped shirts.

Maybe I should change my avy to some weird colored hair... so people can start imagining me with pink hair!

and Darth - I think it's a good thing you don't naturally sound like Kirby. That would be... odd. XD

lol that would be odd.

Xeno (post: 1492096) wrote:Just to put a spin on things, I'm going to read all of Darth's posts in Mike Tyson's voice from now on though.

lol ok... I don't know what to say to that. XP
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby QtheQreater » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 am

TheMewster (post: 1491845) wrote:And it gets really confusing when people change their avatars.

Man, I should be on here more often. I used to change my avatar at least weekly. Speaking of, I need a new avvie. :brow:

On topic, the voice I seem to get for most everyone is like...preteen/teen (except for Mith, for some probably obvious reason). Which is weird, because I haven't been around any of those for a decent amount of time. So yeah, I can see one instance that an avatar changed my mind's reading voice...but not most of the time.

I suppose it might be more affected by the way people write, their language choice, and whatnot.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Next

Return to General