Does the ANN site still give people computer viruses?

Talk about anything in here.

Does the ANN site still give people computer viruses?

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 am

The last two times I visited the AnimeNewsNetwork site I ended up with a really bad malware virus.
That was about seven months ago, there are some things I've been wanting to check out there; but I'm scared I'll kill my-already-super-beat-up-laptop. :waah!:

So, the question is... Is it safe to go there now?
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:59 am

Wouldn't have a clue. It might help if you tell us what the acronym "ANN" stands for.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:11 am

I thought I had put that in the description...? Opps, sorry. :bang:
I'm talking about AnimeNewsNetwork. -_-
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Xeno » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:37 am

I didn't know that the site had virus problems. I don't go there hardly ever anymore, but many moons ago I'd go there from time to time and I've never gotten a virus from that site. List of operating systems I've used while viewing ANN: Windows ME, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista Home Standard, Windows 7 Pro, OS X Leopard, OS X Snow Leopard.

So I'd say they've got a pretty good track record with me.

Note: I am fully aware that "PC viruses don't affect Macs!" if anyone was planning on pointing that out.
Xeno

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:46 am

Their ads have had a history of being buggy/virus laden. I'm not sure if it's still that way because I just stopped using the site quite a while ago.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:52 am

I've only gotten a virus from them once.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:11 am

I've never gotten a virus from them, but then again I make sure my computer has up-to-date and plentiful protection.
Atria35

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:54 am

I haven't been able to track down any information about this history of viral activity, but I'd suggest being sure your anti-virus software is up to date before going back. If you don't have AV software already, here are links to free Windows and Mac anti-virus software from sources I can vouch are legit:

Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/

Mac:
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx
Mithrandir

Postby Wallachia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:27 pm

I've never had a problem with their website. Just don't click on ads and make sure your computer is secure if you're worried.

Browse with Firefox and the addons NoScript and Adblock Plus if you want to be extra safe. (Maybe that's why I've never had a problem with their website?)

Wallachia

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Wallachia (post: 1491214) wrote:I've never had a problem with their website. Just don't click on ads and make sure your computer is secure if you're worried.

Browse with Firefox and the addons NoScript and Adblock Plus if you want to be extra safe. (Maybe that's why I've never had a problem with their website?)

Provided you don't use the "allow all this page" options, FF + NoScript + Adblock = Win. I recommend exactly this in my security lectures.
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I use AdBlock Plus and have never had a problem with ANN or any other site. I should probably start using NoScript too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hiryu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I've checked ANN about every week and never got a virus from their website. The ads would be a likely culprit for malware. A firewall and anti-virus usually stop viruses from doing too much damage.
Hiryu

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:21 am

Wow, I got a lot more replies then expected... :wow!:
Thanks for all your help guys, I updated my anti-virus (my brother used to do it but.. meh.), and visited the site for a minute or two.
So far no malware or anything.
Thanks again, you all really helped me out. ;)
AngelicTotoro

Postby TheMewster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 am

I haven't been in a while and when I did go it was on my mobile phone browser, so viruses won't have much adverse effects on that. But thanks and God bless! Now I know to just trust God with what's going on in the anime world instead of going to ANN!!!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 pm

ANN does have it's own podcast you can download on iTunes. Maybe you should go that route.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to General