TVtropes Will Ruin Your Life

Talk about anything in here.

TVtropes Will Ruin Your Life

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 pm

I've noticed that alot of us are pretty familiar with TVtropes, if not being tropers. Its become so ingrained, its nearly everywhere we look or applied, justified that it is about things applied, as sensible as that may sound.

Anyway, so what are your thought? I'm a troper that doesn't really put too much up there, and go to it like a drug.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm not a troper, but I lurv TV Tropes! I go when I'm bored or need to research something that I'm thinking of writing to see how it might go over.
Atria35

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:31 pm

I read TV Tropes about once every other week, looking at random tropes. I figure that the more tropes I understand, the better my work has the potential to be.
Cognitive Gear

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:37 pm

I try to avoid it. Every time I go on I lose tons of time in a "wiki walk." ( I think hat's right)
It's fun to read, I just can't keep from reading all the entries for whatever show/movie/comic I started on; and then there's the related tropes.....
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Agloval » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am

TV Tropes is okay within its limited remit. I'm usually a bit disappointed by its emphasis on the collection of examples over actual thought, and by its failure to recognise how contingent most of its concepts are.

Like, it encourages a tendency to simply say 'Well, it's [trope X]' in a conversation and then feel that the job is done. Without an urge to really dig into the guts of what's going on. And without a sense for how [trope X] is just an idea someone had (in most cases sometime in the present decade) which used to not exist and will one day die -- not some kind of aesthetic principle for all times and places. That's not to say that [trope X] isn't a valid pattern, just that it's rarely as simple as its TVT page makes out.

(I say this as someone who's not a creative writer, just a reader unheathily interested in policing the way we talk about stories.)

But hey, every now and then I see a page on the site which has one or two well-written, witty paragraphs. The fact that titles' descriptions are normally written from an enthusiastic point of view can make each one an interesting indication of what it is that fans of a particular thing like about it.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Mouse2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:37 pm

I don't read there as often as I did a few months ago. I like it, but I have two complaints. The first is similar to what Agloval said: I wish they did a little more analysis of how an example demonstrates a trope or subverts it. What I really like about the cite is all the pop culture analysis it does, but it seems like the format encourages very brief descriptions of examples, rather than thorough analysis.

The second problem is that it is VERY easy to have the ending of a work spoiled if you read TV Tropes too much. This is how I found out about the ending of Escaflowne, for instance, or about the death of a certain character in an anime I'm watching now. It's sometimes possible to avoid seeing the spoilers, but not always.
Mouse2010

Postby Furen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm such a troper....

I had one almost complete, but I decided to finalize it a day too late...

Ah well, it was similar to the Scooby Dooby Doors (I named mine the Hannah Barbarrels [for them creating the enter one barrel, exit another])
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Okami » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah...I think I can count the times I've been on TV Tropes on one hand...
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:31 pm

I hate TV Tropes, but I can't deny that it's a very good pop culture resource.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:56 pm

TV Tropes gives people the tools to empower them to perform incredibly lazy analysis of the media they consume.
blkmage

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm

blkmage (post: 1490306) wrote:TV Tropes gives people the tools to empower them to perform incredibly lazy analysis of the media they consume.

This.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:56 am

I like TVTropes. I mean, I have no acc there, but it's a good place for resource.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

I used to burn hours and hours lurking on there, but when I realized how much time I completely wasted I made it a point to stop going there.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Hiryu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Yea, if you have a day or two with nothing to do, it'll keep you busy with looking up silly, but also intriguing things. After about 5 minutes, you'll have like 15 tabs open, and you'll start to wonder how you got from Bubble tape to Bonsai trees.
Hiryu

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm

I go at least once a day. I love their witty approach. Besides, they did introduce me to Blind Guardian, Cobra Starship, and Soul Eater, all of which I enjoy.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:58 pm

A friend linked an article (forgot what it was about..) there once.. I ended up spending an hour or so reading other stuff xD Such a waste of time, but fun reads =]
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:01 pm

I've been there less than ten times. The first few times I made a million tabs, spent a lot of time on there, and got a few laughs. But like others, I decided I'd wasted too many hours on that site. I appreciate the mildly sarcastic tone of most articles, but it's not worth it.

I now mostly avoid it. It eats up my time like a chat room, but I get pretty much nothing out of it.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Darth_Kirby » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1490552) wrote:I've been there less than ten times. The first few times I made a million tabs, spent a lot of time on there, and got a few laughs. But like others, I decided I'd wasted too many hours on that site. I appreciate the mildly sarcastic tone of most articles, but it's not worth it.

I now mostly avoid it. It eats up my time like a chat room, but I get pretty much nothing out of it.

lol true, unless you write. Then you might get something out of it. I've become Dangerously Genre Savvy. :P
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DangerouslyGenreSavvy
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1490585) wrote:lol true, unless you write. Then you might get something out of it. I've become Dangerously Genre Savvy. :P
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DangerouslyGenreSavvy

...I already am. I predict endings to TV shows and slow books all the time. Sometimes I predict middles, too.

Since I write books, I'd prefer to spend my time reading books. I think I learn more overall. Like how some people were saying, I learn more about how tropes are set up, which as a writer is very useful to know.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Darth_Kirby » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:30 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1490594) wrote:...I already am. I predict endings to TV shows and slow books all the time. Sometimes I predict middles, too.

Since I write books, I'd prefer to spend my time reading books. I think I learn more overall. Like how some people were saying, I learn more about how tropes are set up, which as a writer is very useful to know.

True. Seeing it in action is always best.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Contrarian » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

TVTropes... Oh mai.

I might be a teensy bit addicted it it. :sweat:
Contrarian

Location: Beneath the grove of heavily-scented coconut palms.

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:17 pm

It's a really nice resource to waste hours and hours of time on.

I just wished certain examples and articles provided a more in depth analysis.
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Engrish and Truth in Television are hilarious- my favorite pages.
Atria35

Postby Tarnish » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:52 pm

I generally don't like TV Tropes (Is there anything they don't like/are not creepily attracted to?), but I could spend hours in the High Octane Nightmare Fuel pages.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Neane » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Tv Tropes is a wonderful site. (I even discovered some great movies using it. And my fellow members at a certain gaming forum use it all the time to show examples.)
Neane

Postby Vii » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:34 pm

2 hours ago: "What's a TV trope?"
Present: *click* *click* *click* *click* *Scroooooooooooooll* *click*

---
Cool site, though I'll probably only go there when I'm really bored or something...

EDIT: Actually, I might go there a little more than that...
Vii

Postby Nekomimi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:27 pm

TVtropes is the written form of youtube: hit one phrase & you end up going to another, then another, then another... lotta fun, but yeah, time (& sometimes brain) waster. I figure it's better than watching "reality" TV, tho XD
Nekomimi

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:04 pm

I love TV Tropes. But tabbed browsing will be my death. I can spend hour upon hour just reading about my favorite media and all the tropes within them.

So addictive. :)
A_Yellow_Dress

Return to General