Not sure if this is true or not, but for my fellow romantics, check this out:

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:51 am

Really, Nate? You're condescendingly nitpicking over something incredibly trivial?

I apologize if I'm coming across as rude. But the little details that you deem irrelevant are not important to the point of the story. It's probably not even supposed to be a story. Just a short "urban legend" or recollected thought or something. And if there's something that you didn't understand then you could always just ask.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:24 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Really, Nate? You're condescendingly nitpicking over something incredibly trivial?

Yep. But at least this time I'm not alone! I therefore feel vindicated.
But the little details that you deem irrelevant are not important to the point of the story.

Wait, when did I deem details irrelevant? XD I'm just saying that if you stop and think about it, it doesn't make sense.
It's probably not even supposed to be a story. Just a short "urban legend" or recollected thought or something

Yeah and that bugs me too. I don't like urban legends becoming accepted as factual historical accounts. That's why I like Snopes.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:40 am

Nate (post: 1489107) wrote:Yep. But at least this time I'm not alone! I therefore feel vindicated.

Wait, when did I deem details irrelevant? XD I'm just saying that if you stop and think about it, it doesn't make sense.

Yeah and that bugs me too. I don't like urban legends becoming accepted as factual historical accounts. That's why I like Snopes.

No one said this was factual. In the topic, I stated that I do not know if it is true or not. Now why don't you drop it? The thread has been completely derailed from what was meant to be a nice little story that I found and was passing on, into a debate over whether or not it is romantic, just because it does not follow 'logical' guidelines. You've done what you wanted, now let it go.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Guys, seriously? It's just a cutesy, (not necessarily true) story. If we can't get along and drop this little argument then I'm afraid I'll just have to close this thread. Bring it back on topic and take any quarrels you have to PM.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:29 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1489141) wrote:Guys, seriously? It's just a cutesy, (not necessarily true) story. If we can't get along and drop this little argument then I'm afraid I'll just have to close this thread. Bring it back on topic and take any quarrels you have to PM.

^This is a good post

I really think we shouldn't be arguing about this, if no one gets it, they should just say so and everyone should try not to start a big argument.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Vii » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Destroyer2000 (post: 1488801) wrote:
http://facebookhumor.com/index.php/humor/amazing-story

Ooo! I recognize the site that screenshot was originally taken from.

http://www.sixbillionsecrets.com

It's basically a site to share "secrets". IMHO, It's kind of overridden with drama (I'm not saying the people who post there are bad or anything! D=)
I found it because my friend linked to it a while ago. The secrets are supposed to be real, but you can never know for sure.

I tried to find the original post, but I guess it only saves posts less than a year old or something, seeing as the original was posted in May 2010. Phooey.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it if it might help for some reason. ^_^
Vii

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:17 am

ich1990 (post: 1489056) wrote:
One final question. Would the story have the same romance factor if the person had a different native tongue (rather than being deaf), or is the fact that the man was disabled an important aspect?

Many, if not most, people in the Deaf community do not consider being Deaf a disability. It is a communication barrier, nothing else. Very much like speaking another language than someone else and having to learn to adapt and work together.

I am not completely deaf yet, but am hard of hearing --and am involved in my local Deaf culture/community.

I think the story is very cute. It takes many years to become fluent in ASL --so that's a good bit of dedication to the friendship.

Many people, myself included, speak while signing (it helps me collect my thoughts since I am still learning sign.) I suck at lipreading, by the way. So if I continue to lose my hearing, somebody signing what they are saying would mean a lot to me.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:48 pm

ADXC (post: 1489005) wrote:I'm just speaking my mind.

For the record, when a moderator requests that one be more polite, this is probably not the appropriate response. I have requested that they drop these little reminders from time to time. Please see the following thread:

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=55255

sheenar wrote:Many people, myself included, speak while signing (it helps me collect my thoughts since I am still learning sign.) I suck at lipreading, by the way. So if I continue to lose my hearing, somebody signing what they are saying would mean a lot to me.

In the end, this conveys your message - and I think drives home the point. Well put, Sheenar!
Mithrandir

Postby ich1990 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 am

Sheenar (post: 1489243) wrote:Many, if not most, people in the Deaf community do not consider being Deaf a disability. It is a communication barrier, nothing else. Very much like speaking another language than someone else and having to learn to adapt and work together.
That is an interesting way of looking at it. I won't argue semantics.

I am not completely deaf yet, but am hard of hearing --and am involved in my local Deaf culture/community.

I think the story is very cute. It takes many years to become fluent in ASL --so that's a good bit of dedication to the friendship.
That confirms my suspicions. Thank you for sharing your unique point of view. It is easy for those of us who know nothing about ASL to come in and complain and critique, but it really takes someone who knows the culture to provide accurate insight.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous

Return to General