Question about anime production time

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Question about anime production time

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Maybe someone knows the answer to this . . . I've seen anime fans occasionally say that the makers of an anime might do such and such a thing with the series "in response to the fans," or that such and such a favorite character was brought back later in the series because of being popular. Thing is, I've seen this in regard to a 20-something episode series, not just long-running anime with many seasons. Is this even possible? I had assumed --without any evidence--that because animation can take so long, a 24-26 episode series would have been completed before being aired, so that fan responses couldn't influence the later episodes. Am I wrong about this? Anyone know?
Mouse2010

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:44 pm

No, the entire anime production is not (usually) completed before it is aired. It varies depending on the studio, but they generally complete each episode several weeks ahead of the TV viewing. That was why they were so worried when the earthquake/tsunami disrupted production, and several premieres in the spring season were delayed a few weeks.

Otherwise, I'm...not really sure how to answer the question. Do you remember the specific series they were referring to?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mouse2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 am

MasterDias (post: 1489060) wrote:That was why they were so worried when the earthquake/tsunami disrupted production, and several premieres in the spring season were delayed a few weeks.

D'oh! Yeah, I remember that now. I should have realized what that meant. I have no clue where I got the idea that a whole show would be done before airing.

Otherwise, I'm...not really sure how to answer the question. Do you remember the specific series they were referring to?

I think you DID answer the question. I was mostly just wondering if it was even possible, given production times, for an anime series to add or remove things later in the series to cater to fan preferences. What brought the question up was that I saw fans of Tiger & Bunny talking about the show doing such a such a thing in response to the fans. I have to be vague because I don't even remember anymore what exactly was being suggested, or even where I read it. But whatever it was, I read that and thought "is that even possible?" Sounds like it is.
Mouse2010

Postby Falx » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 am

Very much so, most companies only have the key animation done up till two weeks ahead, which leaves plenty of time to make sweeping changes very quickly.

Of course that means that if something goes even slightly wrong they're either forced to air unfinished material or to skip a week. Which is why there is usually such a large difference between the TV versions and DVD/BD versions of SHAFT shows.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Wow, I didn't realize this either. I always thought the same that Mouse did. XD This is interesting to hear. :P And makes me value the animation companies even more for what they do.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1489288) wrote: I always thought the same that Mouse did.

Well, that makes me feel better, he he. I have no idea why I thought it worked that way, but at least I know that I wasn't alone in my misconception! :-)
Mouse2010

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews