Canada Day, or Dominion Day, ou La Fête du Canada, ou Le Jour de la Confédération

Talk about anything in here.

Canada Day, or Dominion Day, ou La Fête du Canada, ou Le Jour de la Confédération

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:21 am

A land of vast distances and rich natural resources, Canada became a self-governing dominion in 1867 while retaining ties to the British crown. Economically and technologically, the nation has developed in parallel with the US, its neighbor to the south across the World's longest unfortified border. Canada faces the political challenges of meeting public demands for quality improvements in health care, and education, social services, and economic competitiveness, as well as responding to the particular concerns of predominantly francophone Quebec. Canada also aims to develop its diverse energy resources while maintaining its commitment to the environment.

Canada Day (French: Fête du Canada), formerly Dominion Day (French: Le Jour de la Confédération), is the national day of Canada, a federal statutory holiday celebrating the anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act (today called the Constitution Act, 1867), which united three British colonies into a single country, called Canada, within the British Empire. Originally called Dominion Day, the name was changed in 1982, the year that Canada gained full independence from the United Kingdom. Canada Day observances take place throughout Canada as well as internationally.

Frequently referred to as "Canada's birthday", particularly in the popular press, the occasion marks the joining of the British North American colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada into a federation of four provinces (the Province of Canada being divided, in the process, into Ontario and Quebec) on July 1, 1867. Canada became a kingdom in its own right on that date, but the British Parliament kept limited rights of political control over the new country that were shed by stages over the years until the last vestiges were surrendered in 1982 when the Constitution Act patriated the Canadian constitution.
blkmage

Postby Xeno » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:24 am

ALL HAIL THE DOMINION ON DOMINION DAY!
Xeno

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

While I'm not Canadian, I have a friend who is. Lucky duck, getting to celebrate on a Friday!
Atria35

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 am

The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:21 am

Atria35 (post: 1488503) wrote:While I'm not Canadian, I have a friend who is. Lucky duck, getting to celebrate on a Friday!

I dunno, we did pretty well having July 4th on a Monday. THREE DAY WEEKEND! (For me, four, because today is my rotating Friday off, and it just so happens I have the weekend off too. So I'm going to spend it moving out. -_- )
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:30 am

Happy Canada Day! Even if I'm not from Canada. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:46 am

Happy Canadada Day \(^O^)/
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Yea for all my friends here in <Canada>....Happy "July 4th On The Wrong Day" Day!! :P

and for all those having three day weekend have a happy "Faux Holiday" coz I'm not off work...I hate to say it but the Fourth IS a fake holiday since it appears most people aren't off work unless you work for the govt or something... So yea all Fed Holidays are fake..the only two real ones are Christmas and Thanksgiving haha. (Yes I know there are very few that have to work those two anyway like those working for Wal-Mart but practically EVERYONE gets off for those two)
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby ADXC » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Happy 1st day of July! June has ended and now just 3 more days until we get to the more important day. :P
ADXC

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Happy Canada day! I hope the Canadian folk have a good day of celebration! ^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Happy Canada Day!
Tell me, dear Canadians, what do you do to celebrate the day? Are there any special traditions for the country? For you personally? O:
goldenspines

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Yea for all my friends here in "USA Lite".

Watch the politics, please.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:21 pm

tl:dr.

Jk, I think Canada is pretty awesome actually. Happy Cannada Day.
Yamamaya

Postby Lilac#18 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm

[color="Plum"]Happy Canada Day.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Furen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

HAPPY CANADA DAY indeed, holiday pay is so fun! Especially if you have to wait around for a bunch of it XD
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Lynna » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Happy Canada Day! I had a fun time hanging out with a good friend ^_^ We had fun ~~~
I forgot it was Canada day at first, because I was thinking of it as "My Big Brother is coming Back to Canada!" Day XD
Some of the more Patriotic Canadians wear red and white, have parties, and I've heard of fireworks, but never seen any in my little rural town
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Furen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Lynna (post: 1488620) wrote:Some of the more Patriotic Canadians wear red and white, have parties, and I've heard of fireworks, but never seen any in my little rural town

I live near Toronto, though I missed all the works of fire as I worked in a kitchen of fire

I happened to help hand out 4000 Freezies at my churches stand at a festival today (yesterday technically)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ingemar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Today my company had a 4 July picnic and I wore my Canada day shirt. The other 364 days a year, I'm a bad Canadian.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 pm

There's a comic I want to link here but I can't because of language. D:

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:58 am

Happy Canadia day!

I almost went to Vancouver, but then I just had to settle with going to Vancouver, Washington instead...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Lynna » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:13 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1488659) wrote:Happy Canadia day!

I almost went to Vancouver, but then I just had to settle with going to Vancouver, Washington instead...

lol, did you know Vancouver, Washington, was originally a Hudson Bay Company
fort? They had give it up because of an agreement that the U.S could have everything below the 49th Parallel
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:56 am

Except somehow that little bit of land that belongs to Minnesota. Sorry guys. ^_^;
Ante Bellum

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Goofy sketch page on Weregeek:here
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to General