The Bible Belt

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:45 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1487625) wrote:Superficial politeness is a problem in a lot of societies.

One of the best post in this thread,
Solid Ronin

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:50 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1487625) wrote:Superficial politeness is a problem in a lot of societies.

True, but being a rude ahole isn't much better either.

This is one of the problems in Moldovan society, although they have a ton of other issues.
Yamamaya

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Wow, I'm actually really glad I made this thread now, you've all been quite informing so thanks everyone! You really helped answer my question. xD I also find it interesting to hear about where my fellow CAA members live! I'm not a stalker, I swear!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby bobmonkeys » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:05 am

Just wanted to say, I live in Mississippi. *sigh*

Would be interesting if there was anyone else here, but probably not, because no one likes anime in this state.
bobmonkeys

Postby Xeno » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 am

Psycho Molos (post: 1487615) wrote:yea and I take it that being smart as all of us are, we live around the only two metropolitan areas and not in the hundreds of "Hick-villes" around the state, some of which boggle the mind like...where my ex-stepdad, the typical Okie hick that made my teenage life heck with abuse came frome...Coweta. It's so close to Tulsa it should grow and be a REAL CITY but it's not getting denser, it's staying a Hickville.

Of course ppl are friendly around here but that's just the only intelligent people in the state....and if a hick is ever nice to anyone it's more than likely not a relative because hicks are known to be abusive to their relatives and so stupid that they make my second ex-gf look like Stephen Hawking! LOL Just to show how stupid hicks are....2nd ex has Downes.

I often speak of working for the police department. It's one of the two major ones in the state...and it's not Tulsa. So guess where I live at.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how I feel either about how many of this forums members live in this state, though I do know that if a get together was ever decided on there wouldn't be a shortage of people.
Xeno

Postby TheMewster » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:01 am

Floridian. I actually feel like one of a very few practicing Christians when I'm not at church or on CAA.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 am

TheMewster (post: 1487772) wrote:Floridian. I actually feel like one of a very few practicing Christians when I'm not at church or on CAA.

That depends on how you define practicing. There definitely are a lot of people who define themselves as Christians but don't allow it to have any effect on their lives. Then there are Christians who have flaws just like everyone else.

I didn't mean to jump on your post; you just have to be careful when you make a statement like that.
Yamamaya

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:23 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1487601) wrote:...I don't know how I feel about that.

Organize a get-together.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm surprisingly not in the bible Belt, even though I live in Kansas of all places. But there are a lot of really really nice people here that claim Christ as their savior and lord. And for some its genuine, others like everywhere else are probably just going through motions.

I think that is just something we'll find everywhere. But really the only person who can read a person's heart is God so...

But I do think that the Bible Belt are is a bit old fashioned, and it's kinda interesting to visit family in eastern Texas. They are also very patriotic which was kind of cool during the fourth of July. It felt like an entire community was celebrating.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

When I first saw this topic, it caught my eye.

I live smack dab in the middle of the "Bible Belt", and there literally are churches on every corner. Though what is sad to report that despite that, the "Christians" some of these places produce give the idea of being a Christian a bad name.

Though there are outstanding churches and great people that do great things for God, there are not as common as churches being used primarily for social status and politics. I am sorry if this comes off as cynical or overjudgemental, but at least for the large part of the state in which I represent, this is the sad truth. I grew up without God and had the chance to not be influenced by it. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but the biggest advantage was being able to look at organized religion in a different light than many of my Christian friends.

Though there are many churches and attenders in the southeastern region of the country, it is also a place for many churches to be homes to political and social corruption. Some of the most loving and helpful people I have ever met are play major parts in their church, but more have been cold, judgemental, and quick to remind you of your place. Older churches in the South are where you'll find golden people; newer churches reach to a more upperclass people and focus on more social politics than spirituality.

So if you are interested in visiting the Bible Belt, I strongly recommend finding those out-of-the-way sort of places. You will experience true Christian kindness and Southern hospitality there. :)
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Lynna » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1487622) wrote:My mom did come from the South so she heard that phrase a lot. My brother told me that saying, "Bless her/his heart" can really mean, "Oh they're so stupid." However, I hear it used in many non negative connotations, so I was a bit confused.

Example of an un-negative use of "Bless his/her heart":
Once we were camping and my little brother was taking a nap and getting eaten by mosquitoes and my mom said something like "awww, the poor boy is being eaten alive, Bless his heart!"
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Lynna (post: 1487868) wrote:Example of an un-negative use of "Bless his/her heart":
Once we were camping and my little brother was taking a nap and getting eaten by mosquitoes and my mom said something like "awww, the poor boy is being eaten alive, Bless his heart!"

I thought you were Canadian.

MY LIFE IS A LIE.
Yamamaya

Previous

Return to General